• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New disappointment discovered : No Man's Sky (CrowbCat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been enjoying my casual strolls through the game, but seeing all of this put in one video is pretty damning of pre-release claims

That said, despite them deserving criticism...I feel pretty terrible for them with the targets they now have on their heads from the internet. Brutal stuff. I hope they learn from this, work on making the game better and don't quit the medium

So "What do you do?" was the right question from the start.
The defenders of this game have been pathetic.

The game isn't far off from the answer that's always been given to that question. Land on planets, gather resources, upgrade, get units, buy ships, explore, move onto the center. Though there are clearly many elements (and the execution) that fell short.

kubus

Damn, that was savage. I still haven't played the game due to lack of time, but still looking forward to play it. I just know what to expect now :p

Just a question tho, did this video spoil the ending of the game? I'd like to show it to someone, but he's still playing and I wouldn't want to spoil it for him (yes, even if the ending sucks). Just a simple yes/no would suffice (in spoiler tags).

an indie budget game being advertised by Sony as AAA title, retail release, $60 price tag

lol

If this game is worth $60, I would pay $100 for Journey HD port

People are complaining about a game! Whatever will I do?!

Get over it.

No, people such as yourself are acting high and mighty for shitting on a game and then patting yourself on the back for it as if it makes you any less pathetic.

I will never understand the pleasure some people get from telling people something they like is bad.
There's some people calling out the game for some admittedly obvious faults, and then there's stuff like this thread where it's people patting themselves on the back because some guy on the internet agrees with them.

This sums it up pretty well.

There is discussing a game and it's faults and then there's the way that Battleborn, Federation Force and NMS are treated where everyone needs to join the unanimous hatred circle jerk and throw any real discussion out the window.

Exile20

this brings it to the point in 30 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAwB7ogkik

Just stop, stop it.

dead2.gif

AHA-Lambda

wow, major props for Brandon Jones seemingly being the one person who had his head screwed on

"it does not excite me as a journalist to not have questions answered about a game"

Great video. It's a real shame. I feel like if this game released more organically like the way Minecraft did, all the bugs and disappointments wouldn't even matter. New features could be added on as the game evolved. Instead it was pushed out with the velocity of a tent pole $60 game and they used hype to validate the price.

border

I always think stringing together clips of glitches and crashes is kind of dumb and unfair.

The part at the end where you go into Hyperspace and all the dud games of yesteryear go flying by though -- that is classic!

Not going to defend No Man's Sky, because I wasn't sold on it after they showed less edited gameplay, but I think it's funny that he's playing Counter-Strike, which has done the same thing for 15+ years.

The moment-to-moment gameplay loop of Counter-Strike or Call of Duty is fast-paced, exciting, and fun. It's satisfying to land a headshot or take someone down before they do. And if you do well, you get to the top of the leaderboard. It feels good to win.

The moment-to-moment gameplay loop of No Man's Sky is slow, tedious, boring, and only in service of being able to do it over and over again with no real end. When you "win" you just start over and keep doing the same thing more.

Forkball

I never understood the hype people got caught up in for a goddamn indie title. This never was going to deliver the revolution people were imagining, solely based on common sense. The backlash was predestined.
The power of marketing. It's like Pygmalion. Or My Fair Lady. Or She's All That. If you present something well enough, no matter the content, people will believe what you're pitching. It seems like No Man's Sky is no different from the countless resource gathering games you constantly see on Steam, but prettier and an AAA marketing push.

No Man's Sky is the She's All That of gaming.

On the most recent podcast, NMS related again at 31:59

https://youtu.be/NEXnv_qEhW8

Around 12 hours or so. I can easily see myself playing this into the 3 figures, just play a couple of hours after work to unwind or when Overwatch/Rocket League start pissing me off.

Fair enough. We're all different and like different things. I found it quite chilled at first, but now it's just boring, repetitive and annoyingly shallow so it irritates me a bit. I don't feel misled, more annoyed at myself for the impulse purchase.

I can't agree on the comparison to Lionhead. They made some great games. Hello haven't, yet.

Z3M0G

Oh god... only 3 minutes in but it's so brutal already...

This is a beautiful recap of the last 2-3 years leading up to launch.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'd be lying if I were to say I haven't chuckled at the reaction to this. The entire time, my expectations of what Hello Games could actually produce aside, I've been nothing short of annoyed with the conversation around this game. Moreso the lack of conversation, really.

It's been a lot of "stop asking questions, they already answered them" when really there were nothing but vague suggestions or outright untruths. Or shrugging and going "So... you just fly from planet to planet collecting resources?" being met with "Omg, you just don't get it."

The shitty defensive attitude at the base of peoples' misguided or false expectations around this leading up to release by the press and by fans only makes this more embarrassing. I'm sure plenty of people are enjoying their time just exploring space, but the notion of this being some fucking scandalous disappointment in the eyes of people who were given zero fucking proof to believe anything Murray had said is moreso egg on their own faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom