• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Killzone: Shadow Fall story trailer [new footage]

Some people are bitching on some awe inspiring levels. Honestly, I find the facial animation really good. Having played and enjoyed games like Fallout and Skyrim and especially previous KZ titles, I find the facial animation to be done rather well, especially, given it is GG we are talking about who are known far better for their atmosphere than face design on characters.

Coming to gaming threads nowadays (for both ps4 and xbone) is like walking on surface littered with tiny sharp objects. I don't know if it is me or the console war but I find the level of cynicism and corresponding obsession to find issues at an all time high.

It's just the generation transition. People get hyper critical. If something is not being done the best it has ever been done by anyone, then it sucks and should be improved. It'll pass.

NPAv0RZ.gif
gif of the thread...

lmbo!!!

maneil99

Was that part of the OST? I neeeeeeed it.

Also how much you want to bet that the vektan at the end is your dad and you play as a child during the helghast invasion of vekta during KZ1 for the prologue?

Showaddy

I'm one of 'em, haha. If they ever get along or even hook up, I foresee a future with half Vektan/half Helghast children. You know what they say about mixed kids: they're gorgeous. ;D

Speaking of which I wonder if that half Helghast character from Killzone 1 will show up now we're back on Vekta.

Tesshin

Neo Member
Speaking of which I wonder if that half Helghast character from Killzone 1 will show up now we're back on Vekta.

I really liked Hakha (and Radec too!), though I doubt GG will bring back old characters. Steven ter Heide tweeted that even though the history's still there, KZSF has a new story and a new setting.

Showaddy

I really liked Hakha (and Radec too!), though I doubt GG will bring back old characters. Steven ter Heide tweeted that even though the history's still there, KZSF has a new story and a new setting.

Yeah, I'd better see Rico getting his ass dragged to a firing squad though.

Tesshin

Neo Member
I have a feeling Echo will have this fiery, undying hatred for the Black Hand, since she wants peace with the Vektans. I could see Lucas mistaking Echo for a Black Hand terrorist at first sight, and she would get really offended. :p

Vire

You do realize that her animations are motion captured right?

That actually means very little. When things are motion captured, they don't magically appear perfect on the other end. It takes time, and very deliberate patience in "cleaning" animations from mo-cap.

Part of the reason why Naughty Dog decided to hand animate all facial features.

Nafai1123

Banned
Mo Cap is certainly more used, but companies like Naughty Dog have held up quite well without mo-capped faces thus far.

I'm curious if they will continue the trend with PS4.

Just saw this on my 40'' at home and all I can say is wow. The lighting in particular looks fantastic, as does DoF and motion blur. Rain and mo-cap (the guy at the end seems worse than the girl) are my only slight complaints.

Ran rp

Didn't watch the whole trailer as I don't want to get the spoilers but man those gifs! HOLY !!

The only bad part is the rain but the worst part about the rain is not how it looks (because it is not that bad) but that the rain is doing nothing to the environments (look at the floor) or to the clothes...they all seem to be dry

ibeMlGoeYZLynX.gif

ATGif_120.gif

I kid.

I didn't care much for the story in Killzone 2 but SF's looks promising. Kinda wish I didn't watch the trailer now.

Darien

This is either weird lightning

or... she is poisoned by some toxic agent. We saw some weird corpses in the trailer. She even looks like she lost some weight in that shot where she is pale.

Toxic agent?

From Killzone Mercenary?

Vooduu

Besides the reposting of the very fine piece of ass, does anybody think that GG will actually have a good story with Shadow Fall? Looks very interesting.

It's just the generation transition. People get hyper critical. If something is not being done the best it has ever been done by anyone, then it sucks and should be improved. It'll pass.
Criticism doesn't have to be that extreme. Just because somebody doesn't think it's the most impressive thing ever it doesn't mean it sucks, but some sensitive people tend to interpret it as such.

Elginer

This looks mighty damn impressive, even more amazing is this is a launch title. Can you imagine what we're gonna be seeing in 2 years time? FUCKING AMAZING SHIT!!!

I hope that for once GG has crafted a story worthy of the pretty interesting world of Killzone. I really enjoyed Killzone 3. Yes, even more than 2 but I seem to be in the minority but it was a really fun game. My only problem was Rico was one of the worst characters in a game I've ever come across. This looks like a fresh new take on the universe with a new setting and much deeper characters.

Ricky_R

Besides the reposting of the very fine piece of ass, does anybody think that GG will actually have a good story with Shadow Fall? Looks very interesting.

We don't know. Going by the trailer it looks nice. Then again, going by KZ3 trailer I thought the story was going to be awesome.

I just want a competent narrative for the love of science. I'm not asking for some revolution in game writing, but at least pace it well, have a proper ending, and give me a few memorable characters. Not even "memorable" in the big picture, but "memorable" in that I remember them an hour after the game's over. I just want something decent.

It's why I've always been in favor of grimdark Killzone, because what they lack in writing they can make up for in atmosphere.

VanWinkle

I have no idea if the story will be any good, but you better believe I'll play through every second of it for that next-gen visual spectacle, lol.

Dang0

I honestly didn't give a crap about this game before this trailer, but the story actually seems really cool, which surprising considering how bad the plots from the first two are (havent played the third one yet).

TEH-CJ

Banned
Why doesn't Shadow fall have volumetric smoke?

looks volumetric to me ;/

didn't Killzone 2 have volumetric smoke?

Coiote

Man, after today's COD:Ghosts Fallout(PS4 version looking like trash, Xbo 720p), I hope Killzone Shadowfall gets at launch the recognition it deserves for being a true next gen shooter at day-1 while still being 60fps on multiplayer. I would be very happy if the game consolidates itself being the go to multiplayer game on the early days of PS4.

The downside would be if they started focusing too much on Killzone while downplaying the new rumored wrpg ip.

SRTtoZ

dem lips. mmmmmm.

Well the trailer looks slick as hell. Yea the rain isnt the *best* videogame rain but its fine, everything else is OUTSTANDING.

Bring release day plz.

Father

Prediction - Possible Spoiler:
I remember seeing this on PlayStation's Japan Website. Google Translate is bad but you can still make sense of it -
Lucas Kellan: "Vu~ekuta (Vekta) from planet. Killed his father by Herugasuto (Helghast) army, was brought up in a facility security bureau. After the growth, to carry out secret operations on both sides to divide the city of Vu~ekuta (Vekta) "wall" you're working for Vu~ekuta (Vektan) government as a "shadow agent."

madmackem

I know I'm like a million pages late but the only reason this looks a little off (besides the shit quality) is the fact that it doesn't look 100% human, but that fits in with the lore so it works for me.

Thats what i was thinking too, the males look different as well if youve ever played a kz game they have a style about the hellgans to make them look different due to the living conditions on hellgan.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

This gif right here is the single best looking next gen thing I've seen. It is the most life like video game I have ever seen. How can people complain about the faces when this is also part of the trailer?

madmackem

OK, further to my previous post, can someone explain this?

9e0MzGN.jpg

Top is Feb reveal, bottom is this new story trailer. Look at the shadows on the trees in the top pic, something has definitely changed with the lighting. It looked far more impressive back in February.

Erm two totally different view points of course the lighting is going to be very different.

scoobs

Looks pretty incredible, will buy. Anyone else just salivating at the thought of Uncharted 4? (or whatever Naughty Gods are up to)

My god.

That video made me realise how much I miss Killzone 2's multiplayer.

On the topic of the story trailer, I think it looked amazing. There are some problems with dodgy textures in flyover sections, the rain, and some of the facial animations, but overall it is definitely not comparable to any PS3 title (in my opinion). If this gen plays out the same as last, in the next few years we should be seeing some truly remarkable games.

Zen

Banned
Killzone 2 running on the Killzone 3 engine (still using QxAA) would have been a thing to behold. They might have even gotten 30fps+ on it and consistent FPS during MP with no controller lag etc.

I know I'm like a million pages late but the only reason this looks a little off (besides the shit quality) is the fact that it doesn't look 100% human, but that fits in with the lore so it works for me.

I dunno I'd just take that as their particular art style for the game. No character looks lifelike, everyone is stylized.

She's absolutely a second generation Helghast though, you can see clearly how she's already re-adapting to the Vektan Atmosphere. It would be interesting if this became a huge point of consternation within Helghast society. Mandatory bleaching and the like. Eventually the Helghast will end up looking exactly like the Vektans.

Vire

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

ixn7LfjkIV3Ir.gif

iZNUfNc3S9rM5.gif

Can't wait to see what Naughty Dog has in store... they got their work cut out for them already.

Top Bottom