• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Killzone: Shadow Fall story trailer [new footage]

Zen

Banned
Vekta originally belonged to the Helghans in the first place.

Until they tried to choke out everyone who wasn't them by imposing criminally high taxation on trade, against the previous agreement. To say nothing of the original Helghast Corporation blatantly murdering the original expedition so they could get the contract for colonization.

Though to answer the previous comment, I don't think Vektans had much of a choice, ISA god neutered by Earth and this seems like a Space UN decision in part as punishment for Vekta disobeying orders.

Vire

Had to make a clearer version.

iqSdZhqAD7cfe.gif

Black levels are off from the Gamersyde footage. But yeah, that bit from the trailer is amazing.

iwwIo6vmSYLLU.png

Until they tried to choke out everyone who wasn't them by imposing criminally high taxation on trade, against the previous agreement. To say nothing of the original Helghast Corporation blatantly murdering the original expedition so they could get the contract for colonization.

Though to answer the previous comment, I don't think Vektans had much of a choice, ISA god neutered by Earth and this seems like a Space UN decision in part as punishment for Vekta disobeying orders.

I read the timeline but must have missed this. Gotta re-read now...

antti-la

Dat jaw-drop mania. Good thing I pre-ordered that KZSF bundle long time ago, this will be a nice thing to start next-gen with.

GG surely knows how to make pleasing visuals to watch. However in the past I have found that when actually playing (KZ2/3), it's sometimes kind of hard to "make sense" of what's actually happening on the screen, too much post-processing or something and the laggy (realistic feel) controls don't help a bit in this.

Hopefully this time it will be different.

EekTheKat

I think Echo could be a very interesting character if the story plays out the way the trailers are suggesting.

I had a guess typed out as to how I hope it's going to play out, but think I'm just going to hold off until after I play the game myself.

Really? In those two pics, the Halo 4 guy looks next gen, and the Shadow Fall guy looks current imo.

I have played Halo 4 and character models are far superior in what has been shown here...obviously. Facial animation may be a different matter, although I thought Halo 4 didn't quite hit the mark there as well.

I mean I think this might be the same dude in game (can't be sure, render looks like an old chubby kid)

So much compassion in his eyes haha

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Confirmation of a 10 hour campaign and now this trailer officially sold me the game.

I mean it was between this and Knack anyway but it's not a dilemma anymore. The graphics are a giant leap and the gameplay looks absolutely refined. For a snobbish PC fps gamer like myself, Killzone 2 & 3 were the only games that made me put the mouse down, so I have the highest of respect for Guerrilla games.

As far as I am concerned, Killzone 2 is the best war game since Quake fucking 2 and KZ 3 has the best graphics this gen. Perfect launch game.

Lime

I have to say, this game looks really amazing. I kind of didn't care about getting it in my PS4 preorder bundle, but now I'm kind of looking forward to experiencing it. My expectations are still low in terms of writing and characters, but if it's just a modicum better than the usual shitty stuff we see in shooters, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Had to make a clearer version.

iqSdZhqAD7cfe.gif

Looks really stunning (and it's only a launch title!). I also like the plated armor design in the context of the lighting in this scene

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
My expectations are still low in terms of writing and characters, but if it's just a modicum better than the usual shitty stuff we see in shooters, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

KZ 3 was kinda CoD-fied but Killzone 2 was a brilliant WWII reenactment me thinks. I mean rarely does a war game make you hate the enemy with a passion.

Really? In those two pics, the Halo 4 guy looks next gen, and the Shadow Fall guy looks current imo.

I agree with that. Is the Halo character the Infinity Vice Captain (Lasky, I think?)? I did think the visuals in that game were amazing, although the cutscenes were more impressive than the in-game stuff. EDIT - worth bearing in mind that the image on the right clearly isn't taken from in-game or cutscene though. It's harder to judge without any kind of context or lighting.

I like the boxy armor plating some of the Helghast have in this game

Yeah, me too. It reminds me of a grittier Star Wars, but I can't quite place my finger on why. I don't recall any imperials in that having boxy armour.

TUROK

Wow... Guerilla really has no idea what made Killzone 2 so great, do they? Killzone 3 moved away from it, and Shadow Fall looks to distance itself from it even more.

Wow... Guerilla really has no idea what made Killzone 2 so great, do they? Killzone 3 moved away from it, and Shadow Fall looks to distance itself from it even more.

I'll agree that KZ3 was a let down compared to 2, but I like everything I've seen of this so far. The Owl definitely changes gameplay up and brings more tactical variation to how you want to play. Verticality plays a large part in your approach (at least in the Forest level) though you can stay at ground level if you prefer. You can decide to use stealth or go in all guns blazing. And not the forced stealth of KZ3. I'm all for changing things to improve and allow for different play styles which should encourage repeat playthroughs. Apparently KZ Mercenary excels at this. I heard someone describe it as the closest thing to GoldenEye on modern platforms. If Shadowfall is in that bracket...

They're not trying to recreate KZ2. They've said that they took Shadow Fall in a different direction because they felt the design of the trilogy had run its course, hence the vastly different level design and change of setting (although I expect we'll still get lots of war-torn dark Helghast environments on their side of the wall). Personally I'm glad of the change in style and new environments we'll get to explore. I've played all of the others and I've definitely had my fill of Helghan industrial complexes by now (I actually think KZ1 probably had the best level design from the trilogy, but it was also the weakest game by a long way), so I look forward for Killzone expanding in a different direction.

I'll agree that KZ3 was a let down compared to 2, but I like everything I've seen of this so far. The Owl definitely changes gameplay up and brings more tactical variation to how you want to play. Verticality plays a large part in your approach (at least in the Forest level) though you can stay at ground level if you prefer. You can decide to use stealth or go in all guns blazing. And not the forced stealth of KZ3. I'm all for changing things to improve and allow for different play styles which should encourage repeat playthroughs. Apparently KZ Mercenary excels at this. I heard someone describe it as the closest thing to GoldenEye on modern platforms. If Shadowfall is in that bracket...

As someone looking in from the outside, I have seen the owl (beyond its great artistic look) to be a crux for players. It kills people for you, makes the game easier for you (stuns, shields etc)...

I would prefer if it was different than just damage and defense... maybe as a recon like thing where you can switch to seeing what it can?

As someone looking in from the outside, I have seen the owl (beyond its great artistic look) to be a crux for players. It kills people for you, makes the game easier for you (stuns, shields etc)...

I would prefer if it was different than just damage and defense... maybe as a recon like thing where you can switch to seeing what it can?

It also offers new gameplay opportunities however. You can use it as a distraction. I mean the game is still going to have the harder difficulties which should offer a decent challenge. I think it will be a crux on easier difficulties but broaden the gameplay on the tougher dificulties. It would be cool if you could take direct control of it though

Wow.. haven't really been following KZ Mercenary aside from every raving about it's graphics... that snippet about GoldenEye makes me want to pick up a Vita.

Speaking of Vita... so, am I really going to be able to play Shadow Fall (or any game) streamed through he PS4 to the Vita? I am still struggling to believe it / there must be lag.

sunnz

You are right but I think if the game has the right about challenging AI and battles, it could work well.

I am kinda getting bored of the whole one man army you see in games and having such a powerful and futuristic device on YOUR side is a nice change in a sense. I agree it does seem a bit too powerful but you have to remember these games are probably played on easy during such events so people don't spend too much time dying.

-Cwalat-

I have a major problem with this story setup. How in the hell could the ISA allow the Helgans to run free on that side of the wall. Give the survivors sanctuary sure but free reign to build up an entire counter civilization!? Also why are there so man of them anyway?

See, you're not looking at this from a realistic point of view. You're basically saying they should be treated as animals with restricted rights and should only be allowed to "survive".

In a realistic scenario the people of Helghan are the real victims, of a brutal mass murder and destruction of their home planet. After the fact, they still are being caged in an apartheid scenario against their will. As they see it, they have rights, to defend themselves from this oppression.

"Why are there so many of them anyway?"
I don't know how to answer that, other than ISA are not the ones to decide whether or not the helghast are going to reproduce in order to save their race. Remember, the ones left on Vekta are the only ones who survived the attack.

If you read up on the entire storyline on their homepage, you'll soon realize who the true victims are.

I want nothing more than a Killzone game from their perspective, both through the storyline and gameplay... i'm sick of the ISA and their oppression, i just wanna kill some ISA soldiers.

Muffdraul

Making a great new Killzone and copy/pasta Killzone 2 do not have to be the same thing. Based on what I've seen I'd say Shadow Fall has a good chance of surpassing Killzone 2. I never thought that of Killzone 3 based on its previews.

Game looks fucking amazing. Cant wait to play it... I feel sorry for you guys obsessed with tiny details.. Cant see the whole image, just hte problems with it :(. Oh well

knight123

Banned
I'm getting an Israeli/Palestinian vibe from this game, and I like it. I won't say which is which. :)

I've been thinking the same thing!

Palestinians, like the Helghast, have had their land taken from them by a colonial force and are wrongly portrayed as 'the bad guys'.

The massive wall in KSF seems like a nod towards the separation barrier in the West Bank that's been used to annex Palestinian land too.

Arsenic

Game looks great visually.

...And thats about all that's going for it. I feel the gameplay will be, well, boring. I would love to be wrong though.

Not really. It's all in the contrast. Again, we've seen little of the Helghast side of town. And one of the leading art-directors said he was most proud of that part of the town.

I agree Killzone 3 was a lot worse in art direction and atmosphere than killzone 2. But there is a reason vekta looks so clean, colourfull and perfect in this game (on one side of the wall)

Lime

Quick question: Are you playing as a mute/silent protagonist or does the character you play actually have any dialogue?

Top Bottom