• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New King of Fighters XIV teaser reveals Leona and CHANG KOEHAN

Lukemon

no hwa jai :(

I feel your pain - loved that dude in XIII. Really not feeling this, mind. I've only just managed to get a few friends into Guilty Gear Xrd and BlazBlue CPE, and they look amazing. Can't see myself convincing anyone to play this unless it plays incredibly, and it really doesn't look like anything special so far in that regard either. I'll play it... I'm just not sure how long for, given the wealth of great fighters we already have/are getting this gen.

Shoulda just finished these sprites...

kof13-adelheid-card.png

I'm so sad he got cut from XIII. I loved Adelheid and it's a shame they completely dropped his storyline. :|

Whompa02

I'm so sad he got cut from XIII. I loved Adelheid and it's a shame they completely dropped his storyline. :|

I'm sad that all those Sprites didn't make it...Likeeeee these?

shion_y_magaki_kof_xiii_card_by_charlydaimon21-d55i5sb.jpg

and

kof13-mukai-card.png

God...or those 3 new characters that all got cut?

GHAD!!! So maddening.

NeonZ

Hang on, aren't Geese, Mature and Vice meant to be dead?

Geese never died in the KoF storyline, just in the original FF one. He had a cameo in a 2003 ending, IIRC.

Mature and Vice died, but that didn't stop them from appearing in the last game either.

Gren

I wish Kim would (could?) team up with his kids.

That'd be cool. They'd probably have to change up Jae & his pops so they're a little less similar (less attractive scenario would be to split moves between them :|).

But they should both keep the FFS/Garou crouching C that cancels into everything.

Crocodile

No, you're right, that is a fair analysis. Right now the game does not look good. Has it improved since TGS? Absolutely, but it's still not great. I think the game can look good by launch, but it's too late to look great. I'd be really surprised if they managed to completely turn it around. My post was more aimed at the really OTT posts about the graphics and not the gameplay so I don't know where you got that from tbh. The game is visually underwhelming but there's been some comments in earlier pages and other threads that have just completely blown this game off already after barely two months of it's existence being known to the public. Those are the posts I'm talking about and it's those posts that I see everywhere on GAF (i.e every Fallout 4 thread). I understand that people are uneasy on the game but to just go 'it's shit and it's not going to get better so fuck this game entirely' is just moronic to me and I cannot understand anyone who thinks this way.

EDIT:

Posts like this are exactly what I'm talking about. Ridiculous.

Sure, those who are like "SNK should just be taken out back and shot" are hyperbolic and not worth listening to. I feel the vast majority of negative posts though are in the line of "this looks really janky right now, I'm concerned" which I think is a fair reaction given what we've seen.

Scotia

Banned
Sure, those who are like "SNK should just be taken out back and shot" are hyperbolic and not worth listening to. I feel the vast majority of negative posts though are in the line of "this looks really janky right now, I'm concerned" which I think is a fair reaction given what we've seen.

Oh yeah, definitely. I was reffering to the hyperbole 'cancel the game now' ect. shitposts in my original post.

jerry1594

I don't get it. Why isn't their Chinese overlord bankrolling something that doesn't look like shit? Especially since they want to turn KoF into a blockbuster franchise. Unless they want to be cranking out shitty f2p apps and bad cartoons or something.

Crisium

Disgusting to go from KoF XIII to this. XIV looks hideous so far. They should have copied Xrd, stuck with 2D, or made a better effort at 3D. This is coming out next year? I wish I could be optimistic about the ability to clean this these visuals in time. Even if it plays excellent they won't win any new converts from Capcom if it looks like this.

Disgusting to go from KoF XIII to this. XIV looks hideous so far. They should have copied Xrd, stuck with 2D, or made a better effort at 3D. This is coming out next year? I wish I could be optimistic about the ability to clean this these visuals in time.

If that list is correct, KoFXIV has twice as many characters as SFV or GGXrd. Coupled with the size of SNK, it's not fair to expect top of the line graphics. Pretty much the same situation as with KoF2000 compared to Third Strike and GGX, by the way.

IF that last is correct, I'm much more excited about the game.

Disgusting to go from KoF XIII to this. XIV looks hideous so far. They should have copied Xrd, stuck with 2D, or made a better effort at 3D. This is coming out next year? I wish I could be optimistic about the ability to clean this these visuals in time.

So many people ride Aksys's knob when it comes to that Xrd graphics. Those things honestly are stiff as hell when it comes to other games animations. Don't get the hype over it. Generic anime characters with somewhat stiff animations. People shoot their loads over that. You know what everyone? FUCK THAT BLAZBLUE/XRD SHIT. Lets all play some DIVEKICK
latest

So from the rumored roster, we can extrapolate that...

It's a new storyline.
The China Team will be the leads.
My bae Angel is in.

Tizoc

Xrd doesn't really look that stiff in motion TBH.

It's a new storyline.
My bae Angel is in.

You seem to forget something: Athena was Team China in KoF 94 :p Actually is Athena half japanese half chinese with Greek descent or something?

Team china is not likely the lead, they were just mentioned first.
If Tung is indeed in this I'd be interested ins eeing how they make his giant form.

TreIII

Team china is not likely the lead, they were just mentioned first.
If Tung is indeed in this I'd be interested ins eeing how they make his giant form.

Same here. Tung was even one of my go-to's in NGBC and KOFXI's home version.

If that list is correct, KoFXIV has twice as many characters as SFV or GGXrd. Coupled with the size of SNK, it's not fair to expect top of the line graphics. Pretty much the same situation as with KoF2000 compared to Third Strike and GGX, by the way.

IF that last is correct, I'm much more excited about the game.

Yeah, it's pretty understandable why they skewed lower when it came to graphics. They want a sustainable ecosystem that could basically bring KOF back to the MVS days of being able to add oodles of characters per iteration again, without it taking so much time to do so (as was the case with KOFXII/XIII). They know people play KOF because of it having such a large roster, and this is an ideal of attaining just that.

That, in itself, is not so much the problem. I just hope they can make things look and animate a bit better, so that we can have a game that plays as good as those MVS games.

Loona

Interesting comparisons of the speeds between the trailers and KoFXII:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX4a1eQTw4g

And the subsequent "corrected" version of the 2nd trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqv7MOLim5c

I don't get it. Why isn't their Chinese overlord bankrolling something that doesn't look like shit? Especially since they want to turn KoF into a blockbuster franchise. Unless they want to be cranking out shitty f2p apps and bad cartoons or something.

Development on XIV started before the Chinese acquisition.

It's a new storyline.
My bae Angel is in.

The story has been leaning toward a major China-themed plot since KoF99, with all the endings where Kensou has fluctuation of this dragon power thing, which gets the interest of the leader of a group of Chinese assassins, the Hizoku, who have a dangling plotline of their own, not to mention the whole deal that brought Oswald and Shen together in XI.

I'm not sure if they'll go with a new Chinese protagonist, which would fit KoF story arc traditions, but it would make sense - although I've been half-expecting Kensou to become the new co-protagonist, since his dangling plotline's been around for a decade and a half unresolved...

I had this theory that if they wanted to make an SNK All Star game but have the "story" of a KoF game, they could have just taken Ash's erasure from time as a launching point for some kind of new time controlling villain that could bring fighters all across time into a tournament. And there you go, essentially a dream match roster but with a canon story.

A hypothetical NGBC2 could play with the concept. Funny that what little plot NGBC had involved Orochi getting cloned, while the Ash arc was partly about time travelers trying to use Orochi as a power source to go back in time...
Also, it would be neat if the SS and LB cameos in the XIII stages ended up becoming a plot point (and the KoF2000 Another Strikers for those and other games too).

rock howard forever dead.

Not dead in his own series, was in all Maximum Impact KoFs, as well as NGBC.

I don't care much for him, although I'd like to see his story resolved, and if he made it to a new game, I guess that'd help the game get a bit more visibility through Maximillian's videos, since he's apparently quite the fan of the character.

First ever husband and wife team would be pretty hype.

I always wondered in Kim's wife could go (there was never evidence that she could in her background appearances or anime appearances).

Jae Hoon does take more after his father, so maybe dong hwan takes more after his mother?...
Also, thanks to his XI ending in particular, Kim's got issues, and a wife who has to deal with that on a daily base plus kids plus whatever might turn out to be an interesting addition to the cast...

Didn't know if the sister had any fighting capabilities so looked her up on the wiki and...

Fencing + panther sounds like a winning formula.

Like a Samurai Shodown character in KoF (Bust Nako/Rera, I guess, with extra fencing reach)... could be interesting...

Just realized Elizabeth team is missing as well.

Chizuru was as integral to the Orochi saga as Elisabeth was to the Ash saga, and didn't return until 2003.
I figure Elisabeth will be in mourning for a while until Shion, Shroom, rimelo and botan show up again...

Duo Lon would make sense to keep around if they're picking up the Hizoku storyline again, so if the list is true, not just yet. Shen tends to be more of a tag-along in these things though.

Didn't Shermie appear in the background of a non-dreammatch game?

Yeah, XIII - the France stage, I think.

I await the day we have Kim, Dong Hwan and Jae Hoon in the same game.

KoF2000, although the boys are Another Strikers there.

You know this game doesn't actually look atrocious or anything, just not AAA budget like most other fighting games nowadays. It looks decent to play from what little we've seen.

The new Kyo design is awful, though. Doesn't feel like the same guy at all.

Chizuru was as integral to the Orochi saga as Elisabeth was to the Ash saga, and didn't return until 2003.
I figure Elisabeth will be in mourning for a while until Shion, Shroom, rimelo and botan show up again...

Duo Lon would make sense to keep around if they're picking up the Hizoku storyline again, so if the list is true, not just yet. Shen tends to be more of a tag-along in these things though.

Yeah but I didn't see Duo Lon or Shen in that character list unless they were the two unidentified members of the China team.

Amedo310

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Roster sounds interesting. Kim's wife, Geese and Tizoc stand out the most.

Hang on, aren't Geese, Mature and Vice meant to be dead?

Geese is alive in KOF. He was in 2003 who hired the Yamazaki and Gato to work with Billy. He was watching Yamazaki for his Orochi powers.

Same here. Tung was even one of my go-to's in NGBC and KOFXI's home version.

Yeah, it's pretty understandable why they skewed lower when it came to graphics. They want a sustainable ecosystem that could basically bring KOF back to the MVS days of being able to add oodles of characters per iteration again, without it taking so much time to do so (as was the case with KOFXII/XIII). They know people play KOF because of it having such a large roster, and this is an ideal of attaining just that.

That, in itself, is not so much the problem. I just hope they can make things look and animate a bit better, so that we can have a game that plays as good as those MVS games.

This is how I feel. The more I'm watching that teaser, the more I feel like it'll be fun to play and that'll be good enough for me. Actually what bugs me visually are the stages. Really hoping for some more visually stunning locales with crowds. Also hoping that there's some round to round transitions and changes.

Also have to third the Tung motion. Loved playing him too.

Scotia

Banned
Just a quick question about KOF in general. I've been playing 98 recently and love how your teammates and the opponents teammates watch the match at opposite ends of the stage and react to the match and the defeated characters lie on the floor and stuff like that. I then played 13 and realised that it didn't have anyone other than the fighters on screen and it really disappointed me. I looked back at previous games and realised that they too had gotten rid of this. I don't expect it back in 14 at all, but I was wondering if there was a reason as to why they got rid of it?

Loona

Just a quick question about KOF in general. I've been playing 98 recently and love how your teammates and the opponents teammates watch the match at opposite ends of the stage and react to the match and the defeated characters lie on the floor and stuff like that. I then played 13 and realised that it didn't have anyone other than the fighters on screen and it really disappointed me. I looked back at previous games and realised that they too had gotten rid of this. I don't expect it back in 14 at all, but I was wondering if there was a reason why they got rid of it?

It used to enable a teammate to attack your opponent if were in reach and you were dizzy or in a hold.

It lasted until 98 - then 99 introduced strikers, which were basically a 3rd character entering the match to assist, which served a similar function.
Strikers were implemented from 99 to 2001, and I guess after that the background factor was seen as a secondary or tertiary feature not important enough to implement.

Scotia

Banned
It used to enable a teammate to attack your opponent if were in reach and you were dizzy or in a hold.

It lasted until 98 - then 99 introduced strikers, which were basically a 3rd character entering the match to assist, which served a similar function.
Strikers were implemented from 99 to 2001, and I guess after that the background factor was seen as a secondary or tertiary feature not important enough to implement.

I didn't know about the teammates being able to attacks the opponent, that's awesome! It's a shame they got rid of it though. Strikers sound alright but I much prefer seeing the rest of the team there reacting to your fight. Made it feel more realistic, I guess, that your teammates would be with you during your fight cheering you on. I understand games advance and evolve over time but it's sad to see that feature go. Thanks for answering my question though. It's been on the back of my mind for ages.

TreIII

Yeah, the last time this feature showed up at all was, funny enough, in the two EX games on the GBA. Both games had Strikers, and the second game even added the feature of having your KO'd teammates lying on the ground in the backdrop.

It's a feature I've definitely come to miss in modern KOF games, but I'd be willing to bet RAM limitations would be a factor for having but so many character models in the background, or something.

GeoMantle

Neo Member
I think we can forgive the low polycount if your teammates are in the background flipping their shit everytime you get hit or bummin' hard cuz they lost.

ZenTzen

the animations seem to be the same frame by frame to the ones in XIII, which is weird, it works in GGXrd because of the look of that game

Kelsdesu

So many people ride Aksys's knob when it comes to that Xrd graphics. Those things honestly are stiff as hell when it comes to other games animations. Don't get the hype over it. Generic anime characters with somewhat stiff animations. People shoot their loads over that. You know what everyone? FUCK THAT BLAZBLUE/XRD SHIT. Lets all play some DIVEKICK
latest

2d sprites will always be better than 3d with this type of gameplay. Always.

I think we can forgive the low polycount if your teammates are in the background flipping their shit everytime you get hit or bummin' hard cuz they lost.

That's hands down my favorite little detail of any fighting game ever. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world when Dhalsim's wife did that in Alpha 3, and then I played KOF and that extended to every character and stage? I fell in love that day. I really would forgive about 75% of my worries if that was a thing once again.

jjasso21

Not a fan of the art style so far. Hopefully they clean it as it is still in early development. I remember playing KOF 95 and 98 back in the day and really enjoyed them. Either way I'll probably still buy it.

Relique

the animations seem to be the same frame by frame to the ones in XIII, which is weird, it works in GGXrd because of the look of that game

I noticed this as well. In KOF XIII, I played EX Kyo for at least 100 hours and it was immediately obvious that his 3D model animates almost exactly as the 2D models in KOFXIII. I am pretty sure I read an SNK interview and it was said that they used 3D models as a baseline when doing the sprites for XIII. Since I saw the second trailer I've been suspecting that a big reason for all this graphics/character animation outrage is that they may have reused those low poly base models to create KOF IV characters from. It certainly makes sense to me when looking at them. SNK was never any good at modelling and animation but I know they could do better just by looking at their pachinko stuff.

Top Bottom