• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New No Man's Sky Trailer: Trade

Been meaning to say, those deformations look so much nicer now than in earlier videos.

And I happen to love the fact that a whole chunk disappears into little bits that then come flying at you. Graphically it looks very cool. Theyve made it look gorgeous which is ideal since we'll be doing it a whole lot.

RedSwirl

I'm sure every starting planet has a space station, but if there are planets that don't have Sentinels, it's possible there's some without space stations as well. And of course if someone managed to blow up a space station...

I feel like we're confusing "planet" and "system."

There probably isn't a space station orbiting every planet in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if there was only one space station per star system, but I think it's reasonable to assume systems can have multiple space stations, along with multiple planets that have surface trading stations.

Maybe different stations are controlled by different factions, and they might serve as targets of conflict between factions.

Probably wont be in the initial version, but i hope eventually they will have bounty hunter quests. We have seen brief snippets of quests like destroy 3 ships e.t.c

I hope eventually there will be some such as go to x system and try and find a fugitive. An enemy that will leave clues on a planet and you have to hunt him and eventually fight him.

Just a pipedream for now and i definitely dont expect it in the initial game but i hope it can be added in later versions.

legacyzero

Banned
This is gonna be fun LOL

title36msel.png

foamdino

Do I need to have PS Plus to play No Man's Sky?

Since it needs to be always connected to send exploration details (who discovered what and named things etc.) and in theory because I may (billions to one chance) meet another player?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but is there anything documented officially about needing plus to play?

legacyzero

Banned

Since it needs to be always connected to send exploration details (who discovered what and named things etc.) and in theory because I may (billions to one chance) meet another player?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but is there anything documented officially about needing plus to play?

Actually, I'm pretty sure the answer is no IIRC

RiverKwai

You can play offline.

Been meaning to say, those deformations look so much nicer now than in earlier videos.

I think I would've preferred if chunks just vaporized with some kind of energy effect, without the bits of rubble flying at you. They just kind of disappear in front of your multitool, like a temporary dev effect they decided to keep. If they're going to do that the rubble should get pulled into the beam and vaporized. Oh well, the rocks look nice at least.

I feel like we're confusing "planet" and "system."

There probably isn't a space station orbiting every planet in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if there was only one space station per star system, but I think it's reasonable to assume systems can have multiple space stations, along with multiple planets that have surface trading stations.

Yeah my guess is there can be more than one space station per star system, but who knows, we haven't seen any evidence either way.

I was just thinking, I don't think Sean has even shown flying from one planet to another. I think we've only seen a planet and its moon.

RiverKwai

I was just thinking, I don't think Sean has even shown flying from one planet to another. I think we've only seen a planet and its moon.

Trailer 2 showed taking off from Oria V, flying through an asteroid field, encountering a space dogfighting scenario, and then chasing enemy ships down to Soleth Prime.
https://youtu.be/-h5vwfEaONg?t=3m19s

Now, that might have been in a dev build specifically to show that off, but so far, all we've seen are dev builds. We have not seen actual retail gold version gameplay yet, unless the Japan demo is that.

Reszo

Trailer 2 showed taking off from Oria V, flying through an asteroid field, encountering a space dogfighting scenario, and then chasing enemy ships down to Soleth Prime.
https://youtu.be/-h5vwfEaONg?t=3m19s

Now, that might have been in a dev build specifically to show that off, but so far, all we've seen are dev builds. We have not seen actual retail gold version gameplay yet, unless the Japan demo is that.

Hmm I justice noticed something, in the video the player was essentially with a squad helping him fight and following him. I wonder if you can have a crew or recruit NPC ships or something. Or if that's just one of the factions temporarily helping out.

Or if that's just the player following the ships and tagging along lol

2thepoint

Is there any footage of tropical like planets?

Really love sunny and colourful landscapes.

On a side note, if this game lives up to the potential and reviews well, I can see Sony possibly trying to acquire Hello Games while the iron is hot.

RiverKwai

Hmm I justice noticed something, in the video the player was essentially with a squad helping him fight and following him. I wonder if you can have a crew or recruit NPC ships or something. Or if that's just one of the factions temporarily helping out.

Or if that's just the player following the ships and tagging along lol

If you increase your standing with an NPC faction enough, you can summon "wingmen" to fight with you.

Aenima

You can play online without PS+ already confirmed in the other thread.

https://twitter.com/DaveMilbo/status/757410869076647936?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

The fact that you fly past an asteroid belt and a space station in order to get there, and it's named like a planet.

Seems like a planet to me.

Hmm, yeah you could be right about the asteroid belt. I knew they purposefully brought planets closer together so they look like a book cover from the ground, but didn't realize they were THAT close to each other. I think I have to side with Sean on that debate... I'd rather fly for five minutes to the next one, seeing the planet slowly getting larger. Having huge planets in the sky is not a big deal to me, especially when moons could serve the same purpose. Oh well, at least there will be a few systems out there with planets you have to fly a long time to reach.

E92 M3

Does anyone know if there's like, underwater planets I guess? Just planets basically submerged in water?

Also, weather?

Water worlds are confirmed, hurricanes are confirmed, rain is confirmed, snow is confirmed, even tornadoes are confirmed.

Really curious to see how tornadoes work.

theWB27

Water worlds are confirmed, hurricanes are confirmed, rain is confirmed, snow is confirmed, even tornadoes are confirmed.

I think we'll get a look in the survive trailer. Harsh elements I think would be part of surviving.

jond76

Banned

Not sure how robust their engine is, but I wonder if there will be waves. Like ocean waves.

Not sure how robust their engine is, but I wonder if there will be waves. Like ocean waves.

I haven't seen any proper ocean waves in any of the NMS footage, but who knows, they might have added them before release. Has any game actually modeled waves crashing on shore?

0racle

Guys, we gotta stop setting ourselves up for disappointment with this game.

There is so much talk of what may be/could be included. I think we have seen 95% of the offerings in the trailers in terms of geographical locals and characteristics. Yes, they are proceduraly generated so we will see various combinations which will drastically change the landscape but overall we wont see anything really "new"

Dont forget they want to sell this game. Keeping everything secret wont generate hype in the long run. They need to sell to the general public who isnt following the game, its technology or the excitement that we all have for it. These trailers we have seen over the years is exposing the game for what it is. There will be some cool sights but dont expect anything drastic.

so what if the center of the universe is a bunch of players who made that destination, i asked this before but wont it be the one consistent place that never changes?

theWB27

Guys, we gotta stop setting ourselves up for disappointment with this game.

There is so much talk of what may be/could be included. I think we have seen 95% of the offerings in the trailers in terms of geographical locals and characteristics. Yes, they are proceduraly generated so we will see various combinations which will drastically change the landscape but overall we wont see anything really "new"

Dont forget they want to sell this game. Keeping everything secret wont generate hype in the long run. They need to sell to the general public who isnt following the game, its technology or the excitement that we all have for it. These trailers we have seen over the years is exposing the game for what it is. There will be some cool sights but dont expect anything drastic.

The Oracle has spoken.

0racle

so what if the center of the universe is a bunch of players who made that destination, i asked this before but wont it be the one consistent place that never changes?

my other post

Guys,

Something big just came into my head and there are a few signs that make this theory probable.

So much has been kept secret from us ( apparently ) and the centre of the universe is the ultimate end game that we are ALL heading for.

So hear me out.

In a game that is 18 Quintilian planets big, WHY did hello games even include any sort of online "multiplayer"? the stats show its essentially "impossible" to ever encounter anyone else during your play through so why is it even there? why is it mentioned? why allocate assets to an online community which we are all essentially a part of, but will "never" see each other? it does not make sense. It could be my typical NMS hype driven insanity but it seems weird that they would have this as a hook/feature of the game if it is in fact as basic as they say.

why do we have so many types of ships/optimizations/ability to name planets/creatures etc if its all for not? if no one will see it its pointless. I have a feeling multiplayer/co op will be a very VERY large surprise for us at some point as we get closer to the center/unlock at the centre. Maybe this is why it has been delayed for so long? There has to be something fleshed out here because its just not adding up.

Kinyou

Do we know how many players can meet at once? I thought I read once that only two can meet at a time, but maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Edit: I think I found the quote

Murray describes the multiplayer of No Man’s Sky as having all of the online players “flying around with an open lobby,” but since the game world is so huge those players will almost never run into one another. The game is equipped to handle another player or two flying past, but there’s no need to make it capable of handling thousands or even dozens of players on screen at the same time.
http://gamerant.com/no-mans-sky-no-multiplayer/

Maybe he's leading us on, or it has changed since then, but I wouldn't get too excited about a big meet up at the center of the galaxy.

MaDKaT

Do we know how many players can meet at once? I thought I read once that only two can meet at a time, but maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

If you happen to run across another player(s), your personal lobby can only accommodate a couple other players.

*edit*

You found it

RiverKwai

Hmm, yeah you could be right about the asteroid belt. I knew they purposefully brought planets closer together so they look like a book cover from the ground, but didn't realize they were THAT close to each other. I think I have to side with Sean on that debate... I'd rather fly for five minutes to the next one, seeing the planet slowly getting larger. Having huge planets in the sky is not a big deal to me, especially when moons could serve the same purpose. Oh well, at least there will be a few systems out there with planets you have to fly a long time to reach.

Well, remember too that everything we've seen is curated. It's probably pretty unlikely that you'll find planets within 2 minutes of each other, they probably made them close so you could see a seamless take off, space traversal, and entry on a different planet with no loading. Remember, at that point people were still actively denying that it was possible and that they were hiding seams somewhere.

Well, remember too that everything we've seen is curated. It's probably pretty unlikely that you'll find planets within 2 minutes of each other, they probably made them close so you could see a seamless take off, space traversal, and entry on a different planet with no loading. Remember, at that point people were still actively denying that it was possible and that they were hiding seams somewhere.

Good point. That system was probably tweaked just for that trailer in order for it to appear seamless.

Do we know if there are comets in the game?

somme

Have they mentioned rogue planets, like, between stars?

Thinking about it they'd be impossible to find unless they show up on the galactic map. All we've seen so far is stars showing up.

Every day just seems to go that little bit slower.

Gaogaogao

when did the UI become so much like destiny?

the PR even says "every trade tells a story" which sounds similar to every gun tells a story or somthing.

Have they mentioned rogue planets, like, between stars?

Thinking about it they'd be impossible to find unless they show up on the galactic map. All we've seen so far is stars showing up.

Every day just seems to go that little bit slower.

That would be outstanding. A olanet-sized rock or dead planet in a solar system w a dead sun. I hope that shit is in it!

E92 M3

That picture is just "stoopid casul" given form. Someone asking about goals is reasonable given the trailers and marketing around the game are pretty cagey about that.

No it's not. There is a ton of info about the game. Asking "what to do you do" is just a form of trolling.

Top Bottom