• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New No Man's Sky Trailer: Trade

I have to imagine that the control scheme just had the analog sticks flipped. I can't imagine them putting rolling on the left stick while flying.

The rough translation for the verb used in the R1/L1 description is "to rotate", while the one used for the Left Stick is "to turn", but also "to spin".
I honestly think LS is yaw+pitch, while R1/L1 are roll (right and left), but then again I'm no flying game expert, so I don't know which setup is the best one.

I think its because they said that you can aim your weapons independently in the ship with the right stick, meaning they stuck rolling to left stick and yaw to bumpers.

It was an a video iirc.

They must have built in a pretty invasive aim-assist, due to the fact that you have to both aim and shoot with the same finger.

MikeyB

GAFfers examining early info about games (especially this one) reminds me of that scene from Clerks. Sometimes it's just an egg and just a game.
clerks-egg-man-walt-flannagan-guidance-counselor.jpg

SomTervo

GAFfers examining early info about games (especially this one) reminds me of that scene from Clerks. Sometimes it's just an egg and just a game.
clerks-egg-man-walt-flannagan-guidance-counselor.jpg

Haha, forgot about that. Classic.

I see your point. I just have a natural bias towards L3 due to me playing Destiny almost daily. That said, I'm sure I'll manage to adjust accordingly.

Hello Games most likely made the controls as intuitive as possible when playing the game.

Yeah definitely.

So then fire weapon with X is for the ship. Thats not so bad.

But imagine if you're swooping through asteroids trying to shoot a target - you need right stick to pitch and aim your ship, but you can't fire at them at the same time because your 'shooting thumb' is on the right analog stick?

It's a classic issue. Like in non bumper-jumper control layouts you can't really turn and jump at the same time. Imagine playing an FPS where shoot was the square or X button. You couldn't turn and shoot at the same time, which would be detrimental in many situations.

Again, they apparently have some 'loose aiming' mechanic in place for flying, so I'm sure it'll work out OK in game.

Elite controller with paddle re-mapping is going to come in handy here.

PS4's 'accessibility' remapping might be useful too. Ofc on PC it'll be a different ballgame.

greatgeek

Banned
But imagine if you're swooping through asteroids trying to shoot a target - you need right stick to pitch and aim your ship, but you can't fire at them at the same time because your 'shooting thumb' is on the right analog stick?

It's a classic issue. Like in non bumper-jumper control layouts you can't really turn and jump at the same time. Imagine playing an FPS where shoot was the square or X button. You couldn't turn and shoot at the same time, which would be detrimental in many situations.

Again, they apparently have some 'loose aiming' mechanic in place for flying, so I'm sure it'll work out OK in game.
My guess is the camera and aiming reticule are locked forward and track your L-stick movements, while the R-stick allows you to "Look" around (up, left, right, down); you probably will never need to use the R-stick in combat.

CHC

I wonder if the ship speed will be a toggle. It might be exhausting holding the trigger for like an hour of flying.

Considering the nature of the game, proc-gen and (almost?) narrative free, is there much that can be spoilt?

I never understood this question. Game mechanics aren't procedurally generated. Also, when I see planets in trailers, I don't see it as a planet I'm going to visit, but rather I'm seeing it as the type of planets that the game can make. So yeah, seeing less of that would have one more surprised when going in.

danowat

Banned
I never understood these comments. Game mechanics aren't procedurally generated. Also, when I see planets in trailers, I don't see it as a planet I'm going to visit, but rather I'm seeing it as the type of planets that the game can make. So yeah, seeing less of that would have one more surprised when going in.
But much of what you mention has already been seen in other videos, unless you've not watched any pre release media.

The graphics are so vibrant and beautiful.

But none of these trailers actually tell us what the game is? Like. . . what am I meant to do?

theWB27

The graphics are so vibrant and beautiful.

But none of these trailers actually tell us what the game is? Like. . . what am I meant to do?

explore fight trade and survive until you reach the center. Doing stuff you've done in other games like upgrading along the way.

RedSwirl

I'm pretty sure there is one space station in each solar system but I could be wrong. Otherwise players could get pretty frustrated and screwed. Especially if your starter solar system didn't have one.

That would just indicate there's AT LEAST one per system. There could be systems with more than one -- space stations and surface trading stations.

And I'm sure there's some way you, if you start in a system without any stations, that you could somehow craft enough fuel for a hyper jump. Hard to say. We do know they've got everyone starting in outer systems where things are balanced to be easier.

explore fight trade and survive until you reach the center. Doing stuff you've done in other games like upgrading along the way.
Aaaaah you have an objective to get to the centre.

I genuinely didn't know what the mission was!

I love exploring etc but didn't know what the main objective of all the exploration was

Im in a loop at this point watching the same stuff over and over
Haha same here. Im hooked.
No not really. Is there a good interview to read or watch? I see people collecting elements but what do they build with those and for what purpose?
To upgrade your weapon, suit and space ship to help survive the journey to the center of the galaxy. Or to just survive to terrorize other pilots and wildlife. Or just to explore, or trade or plunder booty. Yar!

E92 M3

You guys notice how they moved "Discoveries" out of the main menu? Now it's just Exosuit, Starship and Multitool.

I hope the sprint button isn't really R3. I'm going to constantly hit L3 by mistake which seems to pull up menus.

After playing MGSV for countless hours, I'd feel quite the opposite. Really hope the controls are customizable though.

That would just indicate there's AT LEAST one per system. There could be systems with more than one -- space stations and surface trading stations.

And I'm sure there's some way you, if you start in a system without any stations, that you could somehow craft enough fuel for a hyper jump. Hard to say. We do know they've got everyone starting in outer systems where things are balanced to be easier.

I'm sure every starting planet has a space station, but if there are planets that don't have Sentinels, it's possible there's some without space stations as well. And of course if someone managed to blow up a space station...

Why the hell is running on the same stick as the camera control? Also, why L3 to open the menu and not the touchpad like every other PS4 game. I really hope the controls aren't where this thing stumbles.

I'm going with it being a Japanese thing until proven otherwise, just like they switch X and O. I can't imagine any other reason for it.

Top Bottom