• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New No Man's Sky Trailer: Trade

lcap

Thanks for the credits ;)

Some screenshots showcasing a few new details:

download10stjbm.png

download11byr8q.png

download1237q50.png

download13jpjps.png

download14q0krc.png

The environments in this remind me a lot of the original Planetside. I don't know if it's a "procedurally generated" thing or if it's a design choice or what, but I'm not really a fan of it.

(I know PS wasn't procedurally generated in the sense that Osher was always Osher etc, but presumably there was some sort of algorithm that originally distributed stuff).

That was perhaps one of the best trailers they've done. I have a feeling a lot of people who are worried about this are going to have a change of heart at launch.

danowat

Banned
Pretty cool.

I wonder just how indepth the trading and crafting system is, and I hope it doesn't suffer too much from the proc-gen symptoms of just having different names and different stats on items.

So this straight up looks like Destiny had the ships been used for actual space travel instead of just for loading screens.

Plumpman

Even though the UI is beautiful and slick, it just REALLY bothers me that its a carbon copy of destiny, down to the font layouts, circle icons, and progress bars.

Kinda scary if you ask me!

KingKong

Every trade tells a story

*footage of shooting rocks and plants to collect resources to craft better resource crafting tools*

OmegaDL50

I guess Cobra TV will a thorough analysis of the trailer.

Video went a bit too fast for my liking, Would have liked to read some of the text descriptions for some of the items or any dialog boxes.

Might have to download that video and do a frame extraction to check that out myself later.

0racle

I have come to conclusion what we have seen in the past is what we are going to get....and im ok with that !

it looks like this will be a very interesting/simplistic experience which is perfect for someone like me ( father of 2, minimal gaming time ). I dont want to mess around with an overly complicated trading/crafting system with hundreds of items. I always find that stresses me out the most when I game any RPG and it hinders my enjoyment.

A_Dang

I love getting some of this nitty-gritty info about upgrades and item abilities. I cannot wait!

Thanks for all the screenshots! Keep them coming!

danowat

Banned
it looks like this will be a very interesting/simplistic experience which is perfect for someone like me ( father of 2, minimal gaming time ). I dont want to mess around with an overly complicated trading/crafting system with hundreds of items. I always find that stresses me out the most when I game any RPG and it hinders my enjoyment.

My fear with that is (looking at the two ship weapon upgrades on the screen above, phase beam and photon cannon, same icon with just different colours) things will just be cookie cutter items with different names and different stats, which could hinder the feeling of progression?

Daffy Duck

Really interested to see how this will be recevied when it launches and how deep the actual experience goes, if it's impressive I will pick it up when I get back from my holidays, if it's a little shallow I will wait a while for a steam/GOG sale.

My fear with that is (looking at the two ship weapon upgrades on the screen above, phase beam and photon cannon, same icon with just different colours) things will just be cookie cutter items with different names and different stats, which could hinder the feeling of progression?
I think that the feeling of progression will primarily come from your ability to travel further to the centre of the galaxy since you will be limited with the tools and craft you have at the start.

Upgrades could end up being indistinguishable from each other, other than providing better stats but the fact it allows you to travel further and to more strange and exotic planets is where the payoff comes from.

danowat

Banned
I think that the feeling of progression will primarily come from your ability to travel further to the centre of the galaxy since you will be limited with the tools and craft you have at the start.

Upgrades could end up being indistinguishable from each other, other than providing better stats but the fact it allows you to travel further and to more strange and exotic planets is where the payoff comes from.

I guess so, but it would be a shame for your personal craft and your avatar to only get better through nomenclature and stats, but I guess that is the price to pay for such an expansive game.

danielg1138

Neo Member
The screenshot of the buying/selling screen above shows an item called a "Fascination Bead"... good to know there are specific valuable items to be found in addition to just commodity-style resource trading. Also a good place to potentially stick some lore :)

Fedele

One of the best things about Destiny was the UI so I glad that HG is using it. Setting usability/UI trends with stuff that has worked in the past can be a great thing. Look at character selection screens in fighting games for example.

somme

As if I wasn't excited enough...

Great trailer. Looks like the crafting/trade aspect will be good fun.

iFirez

Could do with a slow-mo version of that.....

snDpLZA.gif

So this straight up looks like Destiny had the ships been used for actual space travel instead of just for loading screens.

Even though the UI is beautiful and slick, it just REALLY bothers me that its a carbon copy of destiny, down to the font layouts, circle icons, and progress bars.

Kinda scary if you ask me!

I totally agree that it has MASSIVE Destiny vibes - amazing that such a small team can rival the UI design aesthetics of a AAA developer like Bungie. So pumped for this game.

I assume one's a beam and one's a cannon, the projectile looks different.

This was a much better trailer, although it would've maybe worked better if it was just a tad bit longer. You can't really notice a lot of the things, but they actually show quite a few new screens, the ship purchase screen, an actual trading screen, we can see that you can transfer cargo from your ship to your suit (and vice versa I assume), a couple of interesting ship shapes (the one on the purchase screen looks straight up like a submarine), nice stuff. I honestly didn't think they'd show some of those screens, but I'm relieved that they did.

Also a bit of new music we haven't heard before.

Here are some grabs of the detailed Trade/Upgrading/Inventory screens:

Beam Coolant Recipe:
8iGUfVz.jpg

Wide Beam Adaptor Recipe:
d9mnEaD.jpg

Capturing a Blueprint (New Recipe):
So1w0Jk.jpg

Sentinel Drone Alert message:
IUYZeFl.jpg

Exosuit Inventory/Upgrades:
FVbrPwM.jpg

Crafting Component Screen:
Kjp86h1.jpg

Spaceship Shopping!:
7cB0ngA.jpg

More Crafting Component Screens:
4F1pZ7F.jpg

Exosuit Protective Mesh Charging Upgrade:
kHkfFGf.jpg

More Exosuit/Inventory Screens:
1kbmRuH.jpg

Intercepting signals to capture new tech upgrades (possibly marking your compass to direct you to a factory to get/steal new Blueprints?):
iVnlSRs.jpg

Enjoy!

danielg1138

Neo Member
Ooh, the item description for the Fascination Bead claims that it is a "Golden metal sphere used to temporarily increase the processing power of electronic lifeforms." I wonder if that syncs up with the hints we've seen of having friendly robots helping you out. "Electronic lifeforms" is weird phrasing though.

This was a much better trailer, although it would've maybe worked better if it was just a tad bit longer. You can't really notice a lot of the things, but they actually show quite a few new screens, the ship purchase screen, an actual trading screen, we can see that you can transfer cargo from your ship to your suit (and vice versa I assume), a couple of interesting ship shapes (the one on the purchase screen looks straight up like a submarine), nice stuff. I honestly didn't think they'd show some of those screens, but I'm relieved that they did.

Also a bit of new music we haven't heard before.

A ship that could go underwater is something I never thought of and am hoping for now!

Top Bottom