• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NVIDIA GPU roadmap and Pascal details revealed at GTC 2015 opening keynote

Nzyme32

Just

For research that is pretty cheap. Compare that to Quadro cards which are insanely expensive, but meant for workstations. Gaming wise, you have to be a bit hardcore, but a surprising amount of people did it for the Titan and Titan Z

Titans are even almost a step above enthusiast; like I shit money and wipe with more money.

I forgot how the Titan always tried to straddle the line between enthusiast gamer and workstation PC GPU. Who is this market they keep going after?

Skinpop

What? No double precision? I'm sorry but that is a deal breaker!
What is single/double preshizm?

double precision has larger mantissa, which means more value numbers. For example say you wanted to model the entire solar system and the objects in it using single precision floating point. well with 6 value numbers you are always going to have precision issues since the distances are way to large, no matter what unit you choose to work in. With double floats you'd have enough precision to model it down to the millimeter. It's mostly important in scientific computing and some cad stuff I guess.

Bl@de

So how are people going to justify the price on this one when it can't act as a quadro alternative like the previous titan.

Yeah I think that's kind of disappointing. Double precision made the Titan a "bargain" compared to quadro cards. Now it's just a very expensive gaming card. And I don't like NVIDIA pushing for the 1000$ segment. But well ... AMD seems to follow with a 390X 700$+ card.

GHG

Gold Member
$999 is on the money for me.

Will buy one in the next couple of months then another later this year should I need it.

Lulubop

For research that is pretty cheap. Compare that to Quadro cards which are insanely expensive, but meant for workstations. Gaming wise, you have to be a bit hardcore, but a surprising amount of people did it for the Titan and Titan Z

uKuBunO_medium.gif

Yea, it was just this was running through my mind.

What else did you expect? 200$ card?

TITAN = enthusiast series.

780 ti vs Titan was distinguished by compute and vram.

The Next Ti vs Titan X is distinguished by... vram and probably a 10% perf drop. And potentially a huge ass price difference.

Not impressive. At all.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm a cheapass that got lucky and snagged a new Titan Black for $750.

So how are people going to justify the price on this one when it can't act as a quadro alternative like the previous titan.

Exactly.

Just tuned in, no double precision performance? Well then, not sure how that price is anywher enear justified in comparison to the last Titan.

knitoe

Same way I did with the original Titans. The current fastest gaming card, and hopefully, enough memory to not worry until my next cards.

longdi

Banned
No 64 DP, Nvidia is missing the whole Titan point

$999 gaming GPU = obsolete in 1.5 years
$999 CPU will last more 3 years.

It is sad Nvidia and AMD are pushing their high end GPU towards the 1K range. :(
3D gaming graphics is dead, and we are back to the really old days of exclusive to the rich.

Älg

Up until now Titan wasn't even for gaming. Titan was a cheap Quadro alternative that only uninformed people bought for gaming. Now, without good double precision performance it won't be as viable as a Quadro alternative.

Still, I'm not mad about the price. Looking at the benchmarks that someone posted on the last page you get almost a perfect 1:1 performance-to-price increase over the 980. I guess the Titan is finally an actual gaming card.

Um, no? Are you sure you have any idea what you are talking about?

TITAN the branding that signified a card with greater compute performance, VRAM, and double precision floating point calculations. They are for researchers, professionals, etc. who want to use the card as a cheaper alternative to a Quaddro card.

Only insane gamers decided that it was worth the premium over traditional geforce cards.

riflen

Titans are even almost a step above enthusiast; like I shit money and wipe with more money.

I forgot how the Titan always tried to straddle the line between enthusiast gamer and workstation PC GPU. Who is this market they keep going after?

The yields are small right now, as this is the single largest GPU built. The numbers available are going to be tiny on a global scale. I wont guess the number, because I'll probably be way off, but you can get some idea when a single retailer tells you they have 1000 cards in inventory.
At these numbers, you don't need to find many people to sell to. There are lots and lots of people for whom $999 isn't much at all. This is especially true if you're using the card to produce work, work that's usually billed at a high rate. As he just said, it could pay for itself rather quickly.

Man

I'm enjoying this image talk (computer vision) in all seriousness. We have dipped our toes into this at work and it's pretty amazing.

Älg

Only insane gamers decided that it was worth the premium over traditional geforce cards.

The Titan wasn't even very fast. There was literally no reason to buy it unless you were a researcher or had some other reason to need a cheap Quadro alternative.

Hell, the Titan was actually slower than the 780ti, even though it was like twice the price.

Sinistral

double precision has larger mantissa, which means more value numbers. For example say you wanted to model the entire solar system and the objects in it using single precision floating point. well with 6 value numbers you are always going to have precision issues since the distances are way to large, no matter what unit you choose to work in. With double floats you'd have enough precision to model it down to the millimeter. It's mostly important in scientific computing and some cad stuff I guess.

Which baffles me for the Titan-X. DP for compute it is pretty important. I don't know about Deep Learning specifically which was used to build up its computational abilities but... saying the Titan-Z is available if you need DP is laughable.

I'm sitting on $350 in credit over my 970 return and I have no idea what to do with it. Definitely not going towards a $1000 Titan, too expensive :(

knitoe

Älg;156299776 said:
The Titan wasn't even very fast. There was literally no reason to buy it unless you were a researcher or had some other reason to need a cheap Quadro alternative.

Hell, the Titan was actually slower than the 780ti, even though it was like twice the price.
The Titan was the fastest card at release. The 780ti came 9 months later. Any video card will be out perform with something later.

Älg;156299242 said:
Looking at the benchmarks that someone posted on the last page you get almost a perfect 1:1 performance-to-price increase over the 980. I guess the Titan is finally an actual gaming card.

Are you comparing the overclocked Titan X to the 980? Because this is what I saw...

Titan X - 48.9
GTX 980 - 35.8
= 37% increase in performance

Titan X - $1000
GTX 980 - $560
= 79% increase in price

The price on the original titan, when you factored in Double Precision, was somewhat reasonable (kinda....)... this is rather silly.

Top Bottom