• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NVIDIA GPU roadmap and Pascal details revealed at GTC 2015 opening keynote

I was ready to buy a Titan X, but after this Pascal thing I'm not sure anymore.

Yeah me too

The Osborne effect is a term referring to the unintended consequences of a company pre-announcement made either unaware of the risks involved or when the timing is misjudged, which ends up having a negative impact on the sales of the current product. This is often the case when a product is announced too long before its actual availability. This has the immediate effect of customers canceling or deferring orders for the current product.

The term was coined after the Osborne Computer Corporation, in which the company took more than a year to make its next product available and eventually ran out of cash and went bankrupt in 1985

Wow, so much for people saying 980 is overkill for 1080p 60fps

I intend buying a GPU for 1080p but 3D vision capable. I thought non-3D vision would be a lock for 980 but thats not even certain. And it will likely get worse as more ambitious games come out that dont target the older consoles.

Those benchmarks are for 2560x1600 and 4k, not 1080p

Linkup

Does it really make sense to emphasize the need for more VRAM in an SLI/XF setup when we have new APIs launching this year that will combine SLI/XF memory pools? 8GB on a 970 or even 980 should be enough for the time that the processing power of the card is still worthwhile.

Of course that is counting on devs to adapt DX12/Vulkan rather quickly across the board.

The only way to justify the price for me is if I subtract how much money I could sell my 980 for. I should research that.

And lol @ Dragon Age not even hitting 60fps on a $1000 GPU at 2560x1600. Shame on you EA.

BIOWARE. EA is just the publisher.

You could also place some of the blame on Dice, as it is their engine.

Wow, so much for people saying 980 is overkill for 1080p 60fps

I intend buying a GPU for 1080p but 3D vision capable. I thought non-3D vision would be a lock for 980 but thats not even certain. And it will likely get worse as more ambitious games come out that dont target the older consoles.

As said, it is not in 1080P. Besides that you can easily turn a setting down.

Those benchmarks are for 2560x1600 and 4k, not 1080p

Yeah but I am only looking at games I care about at x1600 (its worse for 4K)

Dying Light 51
Dragon Age 36
Far Cry 4 - 48

So even if they hit 60 at 1080p that means that I would expect games within the next 2-3 years (my timeframe for replacing PC) that couldnt do 60 fps even at 1080p non-3D Vision let alone 3D vision (often cuts in half)

Most important game to me of those by far is Dragon Age, and thats not a good result,

finalflame

Does it really make sense to emphasize the need for more VRAM in an SLI/XF setup when we have new APIs launching this year that will combine SLI/XF memory pools? 8GB on a 970 or even 980 should be enough for the time that the processing power of the card is still worthwhile.

Of course that is counting on devs to adapt DX12/Vulkan rather quickly across the board.

Where is the talk about combining SLi memory pools? That would be extremely interesting if improvements to driver software can pull it off. I know specifically for VR they have been talking about "SLi per eye", but if future updates could bring combined memory usage across SLI'd cards that would make me so, so, SO happy.

Yeah but I am only looking at games I care about at x1600 (its worse for 4K)

Dying Light 51
Dragon Age 36
Far Cry 4 - 48

So even if they hit 60 at 1080p that means that I would expect games within the next 2-3 years (my timeframe for replacing PC) that couldnt do 60 fps even at 1080p non-3D Vision let alone 3D vision (often cuts in half)

Most important game to me of those by far is Dragon Age, and thats not a good result,

Then, I dunno, turn the settings down? Although 60 fps for three years might be pushing it.

J-Rzez

Pascal got me legit shook right now

Yeah, same. This looks like the jump in performance I want/expect. A shame I have to wait that long though. But hey, maybe then we'll have the VR/4K solutions out. It's nice when you get a few toys at once to play with.

Guess I'll be penning in 2016 as the year I do a completely new build of my rig rather than just updating components here and there on the fly.

Techspot said:
Although the GTX Titan was great for gaming, that wasn't the sole purpose of the GPU, which was equipped with 64 double-precision cores for 1.3 teraflops of double-precision performance. Previously only found in Tesla workstations and supercomputers, this feature made the Titan ideal for students, researchers and engineers after consumer-level supercomputing performance.
A year after the original Titan's release, Nvidia followed up with a full 2880-core version known as the Titan Black, which boosted the card's double-precision performance 1.7 teraflops.

We knew there would be more ahead for Maxwell and so here it comes. Six months after the GTX 980, Nvidia is back with the GeForce GTX Titan X, a card that's bigger and more complex than any other. However, unlike previous Titan GPUs, the new Titan X is designed exclusively for high-end gaming and as such offers similar compute performance similar to the GTX 980. Announced at GDC, there's plenty to be psyched about: headline features include 3072 CUDA cores, 12GB of GDDR5 memory running at 7Gbps, and a whopping 8 billion transistors. At its peak, the GTX Titan X will deliver 6600 GFLOPS single precision and 206 GFLOPS double precision processing power.

curbyourenthusiasmreaction.gif

Pascal, pls

Oxn

Pascsl comes out when im ready to do a full pc upgrade which is great

Itll go well with my cannonlake-E

I completely missed that they were using 4xMSAA, my apologies, have to admit though the performance on that game in general is underwhelming.

Do you think Pascal will achieve 4k/60fps in most games?

Are you aware what the performance in the game is normally then, since you weren't aware of this?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/dragon_age_inquisition_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,7.html

Because honestly, this seems to scale pretty well in my opinion and seems like a good PC version. Don't shit on EA, Bioware and Dice for no reason.

And I doubt Pascal will achieve 4k 60fps in most games when it comes out. But that depends on multiple factors, whether developers push more performance hungry features to their games, how much DX12 will be utilized and how powerful the cards will be. Turn the settings down, sure.

-SD-

Banned
Mods, please change thread title like so:

New NVIDIA GPU roadmap and Pascal details revealed at GTC 2015 opening keynote

Thanks!

laxu

Are there any 980 SLi vs. Titan X reviews yet? That's what I'm most interested in.

Based on the single card review even 970 SLI is a lot faster than Titan X, at 400 euros less money.

I wonder if the bad scores on 4K are a driver issue?

Hawk269

I think I will upgrade to the X from my og Titan.

That is what I am doing. Based on what I am reading, it is a good jump from the Original Titan's I have.

I have 2 friends that are about to shit themselves when I tell them I am giving each of them an Original Titan! They both are using 580's right now. hehehe

On the other point, I think for me personally coming from a GTX 980, it's just worth waiting for Pascal, the performance improvement on the Titan X at that price is simply not worth the extra money and I doubt the 12gb VRAM will be used for most games before pascal comes, even at 4k.

I was planning on selling my 980 and getting the Titan, but by some of the early reviews it might be better to just get another 980, hopefully the headaches of sli are minimal now.

Really wanted to get a Titan X, but price to performance ratio is getting my sensible side to say no.

55fps at 2xmsaa on a GTX 980 at 1080p is not good performance in my book especially considering how the game looks.

On the other point, I think for me personally coming from a GTX 980, it's just worth waiting for Pascal, the performance improvement on the Titan X at that price is simply not worth the extra money and I doubt the 12gb VRAM will be used for most games before pascal comes, even at 4k.

Then you turn down a setting since it scales so well, it is possible you might not even notice the difference. That doesn't mean it is a bad port. The game scales well on different quality settings, scales well in SLI, judging the performance by only the highest settings is counterproductive.

The Titan will likely not be worth the extra money no, it never has a good price performance ratio for gaming.

Psykoboy2

I have 2 friends that are about to shit themselves when I tell them I am giving each of them an Original Titan! They both are using 580's right now. hehehe

I want to be your friend. U2 is awesome.

Okay, on a serious note, I've had a 680 now since 2012 and had planned on upgrading this summer in time for Witcher 3 and the Batmans. I was thinking of going all out for a card, but now I'm slowly coming back down to the ground and just looking at a 970.

Or will the 680 get me through until whatever they drop in 2016?

Top Bottom