• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NVIDIA GPU roadmap and Pascal details revealed at GTC 2015 opening keynote

OptimusLime

Its getting about time to upgrade my gaming rig. Now the question is do I get AMD or nVidia? Im glad that is actually a question this time.

Newboi

Pascal looks mighty impressive, but doesn't this new roadmap demonstrate severe GPU stagnation for 2015?

My SLI 670s are still more than viable for high-end (non-4K) gaming and a single GTX 970 can demolish any game thrown at it.

To me at least, it looks like the wait for the 16/14nm FinFet processes to mature has put a damper on CPU and GPU innovation. I wish there was a magical world where Samsung licensed out their 14nm FinFet facilities to AMD and Nvidia lol.

On Pascal's features, first off, is the whole "Mixed Precision" moniker, being showcased as a feature, just a way to inflate potential max theoretical performance by using pure FP16 operations? Wouldn't "Mixed Precision" be possible with any other GPU then?

What happened to Unified Virtual Memory? That was originally scheduled to hit with Maxwell; then pushed backed to appear with Volta; then Volta was pushed back and Pascal became its placeholder, with Pascal getting the Unified Virtual Memory feature. Now. Unified Virtual Memory does not show up on the GPU Roadmap at all, and looks to have been replaced by "Mixed Precision".

Since NVLink is reserved purely for the professional and super computing markets, how will this feature loss affect consumer variants? I wonder if this will push AMD to create an open standard so motherboard makers will adopted socketed GPUs for consumer boards?

Edit: Overall, it seems that memory bandwidth is the biggest culprit for 4K gaming and high FPS, so AMD looks like it will have the advantage overall in 2015 at least.

-SD-

Banned
All in all, this wasn't nearly as awkward as we thought. Even the Musk bit went rather well.

Color me surprised.

So is it a better deal to get 980,sli instead of the Titan X? The SLI is getting higher frame rates according to the chart.

As a 980 owner, I'd rather sell my current card and buy a Titan X before buying another 980. And it would wind up being the cheaper option if I can sell my 980 for $400.

I'd rather have good single card performance over SLI any day. Sometimes SLI just doesn't work, has bugs, or scales poorly.

So is it a better deal to get 980,sli instead of the Titan X? The SLI is getting higher frame rates according to the chart.

Yeah IF SLI WORKS its better performance for lower price. Titan guarantees compatibility with every game. You can also SLI titans of course.

It remainds to be seen when the 12GB VRAM of Titan becomes useful beyond the 4GB of 980. I would imagine NVidia developer support will be pushing games makers to increase memory usage since it looks like their GPU's will retain the VRAM advantage through the new Radeon card released (8GB)

I have a feeling that amount of VRAM is going to be a big marketing push for nVidia as the new radeons launch (with AMD pushing benchmarks for 4K)

jaypah

That is what I am doing. Based on what I am reading, it is a good jump from the Original Titan's I have.

I have 2 friends that are about to shit themselves when I tell them I am giving each of them an Original Titan! They both are using 580's right now. hehehe

Just wanted to say this is dope. You'll feel good and they'll be super pumped!

Well, SLI doesn't scale as well in all games or even doesn't work at all in some games and has some issues, that is the compromise you'll have to make.

As a 980 owner, I'd rather sell my current card and buy a Titan X before buying another 980. And it would wind up being the cheaper option if I can sell my 980 for $400.

I'd rather have good single card performance over SLI any day. Sometimes SLI just doesn't work, has bugs, or scales poorly.

Yeah IF SLI WORKS its better performance for lower price. Titan guarantees compatibility with every game. You can also SLI titans of course.

It remainds to be seen when the 12GB VRAM of Titan becomes useful beyond the 4GB of 980. I would imagine NVidia developer support will be pushing games makers to increase memory usage since it looks like their GPU's will retain the VRAM advantage through the new Radeon card released (8GB)

I have a feeling that amount of VRAM is going to be a big marketing push for nVidia as the new radeons launch (with AMD pushing benchmarks for 4K)
Thank you so much for the help. I wasn't aware the SLI wasn't compatible in all games so I will definitely get the Titan x!

I've always thought getting the most you can out of a single gpu in your budget is better then trying to match performance with a multiple gpu setup.

Sometimes sli support is broken or glitched in games.

In this case, as a current 980 owner, the cost of upgrading to a Titan X provides limited boost in games compared to price. While getting another 980 has better performance to cost ratio, but might bring along other quirks that come with an sli setup.

AMD will also have at least 2x the memory bandwidth for their high-end lineup though.

I've always thought getting the most you can out of a single gpu in your budget is better then trying to match performance with a multiple gpu setup.

In this case, as a current 980 owner, the cost of upgrading to a Titan X provides limited boost in games compared to price. While getting another 980 has better performance to cost ratio, but might bring along other quirks that come with an sli setup.
Thanks for your input. Man I really want to get in pc gaming that performance chart is insane playing 4k ultra settings getting framerate above 50 is just crazy!

I currently have a 660Ti and was looking to do a full PC upgrade around Witcher 3/Batman time frame.

After reading this sounds like a 970 should be fine for 1080p gaming into 2016 or should I just go 980 and future proof for some 1440p/4K gaming down the road?

finalflame

As a current SLi 980 owner, the reports of compatibility issues is far overblown. Games either have fine support or the community finds SLi bits to make it work. As an industry leader, nVidia is usually behind most AAA game releases to ensure great support and scaling.

That said, Titan X is sexy, but IMO isn't justified over SLI 980s unless you're looking to pick up two of them for 4K gaming.

Helznicht

Pascal looks mighty impressive, but doesn't this new roadmap demonstrate severe GPU stagnation for 2015?

Totally agree. I am in the market for a card now and it looks like I will be paying release pricing for a year old GPU. Or get a discounted AMD 290x. Neither is striking me as a good deal. Maybe I can find a used 980 within my budget.

d00d3n

As a current SLi 980 owner, the reports of compatibility issues is far overblown. Games either have fine support or the community finds SLi bits to make it work. As an industry leader, nVidia is usually behind most AAA game releases to ensure great support and scaling.

That said, Titan X is sexy, but IMO isn't justified over SLI 980s unless you're looking to pick up two of them for 4K gaming.

As a current SLI 780 owner, the reports of compatibility issues seem accurate to me. Several titles did not support SLI at all last year or had horrible bugs making it a bad choice to run SLI in practice. Several titles that supported SLI in the end, did so after major post-release waiting periods.

finalflame

As a current SLI 780 owner, the reports of compatibility issues seem accurate to me. Several titles did not support SLI at all last year or had horrible bugs making it a bad choice to run SLI in practice. Several titles that supported SLI in the end, did so after major post-release waiting periods.
Doesn't feel like the current climate around SLI at all. Things improve over time. Could you reference exactly which major game releases had no SLI support for extended periods of time last year other than Titanfall?

d00d3n

Doesn't feel like the current climate around SLI at all. Things improve over time. Could you reference exactly which major game releases had no SLI support for extended periods of time last year other than Titanfall?

Sure.

No support: Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Evil Within
Major issues: Watch_Dogs, Dragon Age: Inquisition
Notable issues: Far Cry 4, Metro Redux
Major issues, but were eventually fixed: Titanfall, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Dark Souls II, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed: Unity

Sure.

Major issues, but were eventually fixed: Titanfall, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Dark Souls II, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed: Unity

That's an IDtech5 OpenGL issue, isolated to that engine.

The rest definitely had issues at launch, but nothing insurmountable if you know how to use elevated settings and take the time to find the right bits.

Akronis

Sure.

At least with Nvidia these have the potential to be fixed. AMD doesn't do game-specific drivers.

finalflame

Sure.

Pretty much every single case you mentioned as Major/notable issues had either user fixes or official fixes within a week or two of launch. Metro Redux was actually fantastically optimized for up to Tri-SLi.

I understand that's too much of an inconvenience to some, but honestly it's not as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. By and large games work fine with SLi and there are almost always ways around SLi related issues.

Again, I understand some people don't wanna deal with this, but it's really not that big of an inconvenience if you're even slightly troubleshooting-inclined.

Pretty much every single case you mentioned as Major/notable issues had either user fixes or official fixes within a week or two of launch. Metro Redux was actually fantastically optimized for up to Tri-SLi.

I understand that's too much of an inconvenience to some, but honestly it's not as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. By and large games work fine with SLi and there are almost always ways around SLi related issues.

Again, I understand some people don't wanna deal with this, but it's really not that big of an inconvenience if you're even slightly troubleshooting-inclined.

plz aware me on the fc4 fix

Shai-Tan

Banned

My SLI 670s are still more than viable for high-end (non-4K) gaming and a single GTX 970 can demolish any game thrown at it.

Well the newer cards are good for higher resolutions/dsr. I play a lot of games in dsr and the performance on the 970 is not great in newer games even in the lower sub 4k dsr resolutions like 2715x1536. That said I don't think any of these new cards are good for 3840x2160 unless it's in sli. And vr requirements are even more ridiculous. I think my 970 will be ok to use until we get some midrange cards with big improvements but as of now I can't run games with image quality as nice as I would like if I want frame rates that aren't terrible.

Guri

Well, I was considering an upgrade for the end of this year, but with the economic crisis we are facing here and this news, I might end up postponing it for 2016 and keep saving money.

AmyS

I don't know why people bring up this... the first slide was also 2016, they just changed the name.

No.

Volta still coming, 2018.

Pascal in 2016 - Volta in 2018.

BsEp8cj.png

I was planning on waiting for Volta but I think 2018 might be too long of a wait, depending on how star citizen comes along, occulus etc. My 580 is still fairing strangely well too. But it seems likely I'll be jumping from a 580, 2600k and 8GB RAM to a Skylake, Pascal and a big lump of DDR4. I was hoping not to have to replace everything but I'm expecting a massive jump at least.

970 sli (2) vs GTX Titan X?

We're in the same boat and while the performance of the SLI GTX 970's is still a farcry (get it?) from the Titan X, the SLI is in a worse condition thanks to Nvidia crippling the memory of the 970's. We don't get access to the entire 4GB and only 3.5GB is useable.

We're going to hit the wall using an SLI setup with only 3.5GB of usable memory when we start cranking up settings. I actually just picked up another 970 for under $300 a day ago but that 3.5GB memory snafu is still pissing me off. What makes me even more frustrated is Nvidia isn't doing jack about it, sucks a bit more for me as I game @1440p. Don't even think about doing 4K in SLI ;( Still a a 970 SLi setup will still get you decent rates, until that VRAM creeps up on you/us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmuXd52Ce0

But rant mode off, the answer is no. The Titan X simply has more GPU power (3x the Cudas) and access to 12GB of VRAM. I expect to see a bit more power unlocked once we see matured drivers for the Titan X as well.

AmyS

BTW it seems wccftech may have been right about Volta coming in 2017 first for high performance computing (HPC) followed by gaming variants a year later in 2018.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-planning...e-tesla-line-pascal-2016-volta-arriving-2017/

3 months ago by Hassan Mujtaba

NVIDIA Planning To Ditch Maxwell GPUs For HPC Purposes Due To Lack of DP Hardware – Will Update Tesla Line With Pascal in 2016, Volta Arriving in 2017

Since the DP FP64 FPU hardware blocks will be removed from the top-tier cards that are rumored to arrive next year, they will include several more FP32 FPUs to make use of the remaining core space and that means better performance for the GeForce parts since games have little to do with Double precision performance. So with no Tesla parts based on Maxwell, HPC and the supercomputing market will have to do with either the current GPU parts or wait till next year when Pascal arrives. There’s also a slight bit of an update on Pascal and Volta too.

NVIDIA Ramps Up Pascal and Volta Production – Next Generation Volta Arrives in 2017 To HPC FIrst

We have already heard about Volta coming in 2017 during the announcement of the two new supercomputers, the Summit from Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Sierra from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. This news just makes it much more official since its coming from Mr.Kenichi. While Pascal would replace Maxwell as the next generation node based on the 16FF+ process node, Volta will be launched in just a years lifespan of Pascal to update the next supercomputers with an enormous update in compute performance. While it is easy to believe that Pascal will stick with the 2 years lifespan of every new GPU at the consumer level, the HPC side will see an update one year earlier just after Pascal launches. In 2017, NVIDIA will ship both Laboratories with their new Tesla accelerators based on the Volta GPU architecture that would be based presumably on the 10nm FinFET node.

Bottem line for PC graphics (Nvidia GTX lines, not counting Tesla) it seems the Pascal gen will cover the 2016 and 2017 time frame, then Volta gen will cover the 2018 and 2019 time frame.

CariusD

I'm a little surprised at the roadmap bandwidth. Right now HBM gen 1 is 1gig/128GBs(at 1Ghz) up to 4 stacks. Gen 2 should be a max of 4gigs/256GBs up to 8 stacks. This matches the 32GB mention in the stream, but the bandwidth should be 2 terabytes(2x bandwidth per stack and 2 times the number of stacks).

AmyS

10 years ago (JULY 7, 2005)

"The bandwidth requirements of game platforms and graphical applications have been growing exponentially," Steven Woo, Rambus' senior principal engineer at Rambus, told Tom's Hardware Guide. "About every five or six years, it goes up by a factor of 10. PlayStation 3, for example, will have a memory bandwidth capability of 50 GByte per second." If this trend continues, projected Woo, a theoretical 2010 model "PlayStation 4" could require ten times the memory bandwidth as next year's PlayStation 3. A statistical projection made in 2004 by NVIDIA's Vice President of Technical Marketing, Tony Tamasi - cited by Woo - anticipates that a top-of-the-line 3D game could conceivably require memory bandwidth of 3 TByte per second.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xdr2-quintuple-memory-data-transfer-speeds-2007,1152.html

NEO0MJ

Darn, I was hoping for Pascal this year. Might get a PS4 until it comes out instead of building a rig this year.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The growth of technology is so great. Although i am a bit pissed off that we arent seeing bigger growth in this area(how is the titan X only 3 times more powerful than PS4 GPU wise??, that's like PS2 to Xbox 1 level. AMD and Nvidia need to step their shit up) i'm assuming that's just the nature of GPU tech slowing down.

Nothing will ever match that time from around 1999 to 2005 where it seemed HW just went up by a hundred fold. CPU's especially have hardly moved inches for years.

Bu the bandwidth increases as well as more interconnectedness between CPU and GPU is another type of growth in terms of performance i suppose.

Top Bottom