• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Date makes sense for the new model, we know there is some sort of firmware coming for something, whether that is a proper refresh or not is still to be seen.

But they are chucking out a bunch of game rereleases in collections and greatest hits at cheaper prices, along with Wonderbook bundle, was really just a matter of time till they shove this model out the door, was just a question f if they were waiting for WiiU news or were going to get it out first.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So can someone give us a short summary of the advantages/disadvantages of the new model?

Advantages, It will be cheaper to buy and come with bigger default hard drives and will probably use less energy, that's about as much as we really know without going Into speculation.

Disadvantages, it will no doubt be using cheaper and more refined ones so the price could be taken down, slot loading is gone for some form of top loading, and that is about it compared to models we have now, there isn't really anything they can remove without hampering actually using it.

The look of it could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you thought of the current slim too, lol.

If you want some real speculation on what could be different I would look at Jeffs posts, lol, there's no real reason to think it will be coming with a new depth camera when they are putting out Wonderbook with current camera models, and pretty much anything software side will come to current models.

Dude, please get your facts straight; I was talking about 2.5" (aka laptop) HDDs, not 3.5" (desktop) ones!

PS3 and XBOX360 use 2.5" HDDs. XBOX1 used 3.5" HDDs.
Your correct, smaller 2.5 inch laptop drives with slower transfer speeds average 2 watts or less. I can't find any figures for larger 500 gig drives with faster transfer speeds when active, it's always average. SSD specs are idle .08 watts for the best and 4 watts @ 520 mb/sec. At slower transfer speeds they should use less and average power considering they will be active for 1/5th the time should be half or less of a Hard Disk, if very active like when decoding/encoding a video stream with limited memory much less for SSD.

Does this agree with your understanding?

There are a number of reasons for SSD drives but I don't think costs factor into the choices just as apparently power is not as much of a factor either. 130 gig 2.5 inch drives are $35.00 and a stand alone SSD 16 gig drive has many of the same overheads but less value for the consumer. A encrypted serial Flash memory module can be attached to a ePCI buss cheaper than a SSD drive and perform faster. Faster means less average active power draw, faster boot, faster memory swaps and a simpler OS. If it's attached to the motherboard and there is a letter from Sony stating all motherboards are identical then these advantages are probably seen in all PS3 4000 chassis models even if they have a Hard Disk. 1+ watts saved at an active menu and a snappier OS.

1 watt saved from the storage device won't magically drop the power consumption from 70 to 35 watts.

You need to reduce the power consumption of the main chips (Cell + RSX) and to do that, you need some sort of radical technology (like Intel's 22nm 3D transistors).

1 watt saved from the storage device won't magically drop the power consumption from 70 to 35 watts.

You need to reduce the power consumption of the main chips (Cell + RSX) and to do that, you need some sort of radical technology (like Intel's 22nm 3D transistors).
Change Radical to modern and I agree. AMD has Zero power GPUs that draw 5 watts idle and IBM has modern energy efficient PPU designs as well as AMD support chips that can change the voltage and clock speed for CPUs and GPUs.

The EPA Goldstar rating for an active menu of 35 watts was agreed upon by game console "stakeholders" (Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony) speculation is that all three are voluntarily participating. If that is the case then it is a radical redesign for the PS3, little to no effort for the Nintendo and the Xbox 360S was already more than half way to an AMD A6 with it's power saving support chips. Oh and the spec was 25 watts in 2009 and upped to 35 watts between then and now.

MARNEY

From NeoGaf :

September 28th is the 6 month Gnome cycle release date for a new version which GTKwebkit follows. Sony in the past has waited to release new OS Firmware updates till it's made "official". The 9/28 release date mentioned by this poster for the new PS3 seems reasonable. Announced at TGS and on sale with a new Firmware update for all PS3 models.

realistic to think FW update & release of new model ps3 on the same day the Gnome cycle updates to the newest version? has there been past FW updates on or near dates that the Gnome cycle has been updated in the past? if not, how long afterwards, on average?

i read the links from your post here, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41909238&postcount=997 lots of interesting info. So, not really a question of if, but rather when will these new features be implemented. sept 28th? closer to wii U launch? 2013?
your best guess?

As phosphor112 said we don't know and the Technoblog pictures, which I think are fake, would point to little difference except 1.1 pounds lighter and a cheaper blu-ray drive, that's the popular opinion.

There are multiple points of information that support features not in the current PS3s.

1) Power modes and EPA Goldstar rating
2) Kinect like interface for a depth camera (Digitimes PS4 rumor and Sony publishing a depth camera patent)
3) HDMI pass-thru (leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint Xbox 361 for ATSC 2.0 XTV so Sony might do the same. NASNE can support ATSC 2.0 and cable XTV better so this is not locked)

# 1 above is the big one as it means the 16 gig flash drive is in all PS3 4000 chassis and used for the OS and swapping the HTML5 stack in and out of memory. The PS4 appears to have a 16 gig SSD flash also for the same reason (allows the Hard Disk to sleep reducing power at the Menu screen).

Read the posts on the page above you!

Sony knowing (remember Sony and Microsoft were part of the group that helped set the ATSC 2.0 standards) that ATSC is going to be authorized/implemented late 2012 through first quarter 2013 would impact the design of the PS3 4000 chassis being released at the end of 2012.

Sony Media Fusion proposal http://www.atsc.org/cms/pdf/pt2/Naohisa-Kitazato-Next-Generation-Broadcast.pdf

Broadcasters Perspective on ATSC 2.0 http://www.ieee-bmsb2012.org/images/program/BMSB2012_Keynote_3_Connected_TV_Chernock.pdf

What should it have?

1) HDMI pass-thru
2) Complete redesign to comply with EPA Gold Star third tier Power modes also voluntarily required July 2012
3) a modern browser (Confirmed)
4) Skype or something like Skype
5) Voice recognition
6) Depth camera for more accurate gesture recognition.
7) Software to support an OTA digital tuner or accessories that do this connected to the home network (Confirmed Nasne)
8) Software similar to Google TV with ATSC 2.0 XTV extensions
9) DLNA/RVU/DTCP-IP software support (Confirmed)

Thanks for the information. Yeah I tried reading all the info in earlier pages but most of it went over my head honestly.

Sounds like most of the new features are something I probably wouldn't care about or use. The PS3 is hooked up to my monitor and is used pretty much 100% gaming so things like internet browser, skype, smart-tv features and other stuff would be primarily useless to me.

So I guess I'll keep mine. Thanks again for info

edit

I guess a 500gig HD isn't bad, but 320 is already super big for me (considering its there for downloaded ps1/psp games, saves and install data).

Rolf NB

Your correct, smaller 2.5 inch laptop drives with slower transfer speeds average 2 watts or less. I can't find any figures for larger 500 gig drives with faster transfer speeds when active, it's always average.
Let's attack this from two angles:
1)Extreme capacity
WD20NPVT Scorpio Green 2TB -- 1.7W load; 0.9W idle; 0.2W standby (PDF)

2)Extreme performance
ST750LX003 Momentus XT 750GB 7200rpm, 32MB DRAM, 8GB SLC Cache -- 1.3W load (w/APM); 1.1W idle (PDF)

piteru

Banned
The only thing that I'm concerned,is that I don't have any info about the new model being sold stand alone.if I learn anything new I ll share to you asap

piteru

Banned
You mean without a game? Have you heard about the rumoured 16gb model?

ATM unfortunately no.I only know the release dates because we were asked to make a forecast of the quantity that we will need.there wasn't mentioned a price drop for either ps3 slim or if there is going to be the rumored 16 gb.that's why I'm concerned.tgs is the date and I hope there is more to that.

Mario007

ATM unfortunately no.I only know the release dates because we were asked to make a forecast of the quantity that we will need.there wasn't mentioned a price drop for either ps3 slim or if there is going to be the rumored 16 gb.that's why I'm concerned.tgs is the date and I hope there is more to that.

Is this standard procedure (i.e. did you experience the same secrecy when PS3 Slim or the new Xbox360 came out)?

piteru

Banned
Mario007 for x360 there were only signs.we had made our typical orders based on what we needed,but for 3 months prior to the release no xbox360fat was shipped to us.we were like ok WTF.it's not a standard
Procedure and it depends from the distributor .In the past I knew a couple hours before the official announcement of the wii sports resort packs.nintendo is more tigh-lipped while Sony and Microsoft are not that tight.I also learned about the name of ps3 essentias from a list of a different distributor...it's wack

Let's attack this from two angles:
1)Extreme capacity
WD20NPVT Scorpio Green 2TB -- 1.7W load; 0.9W idle; 0.2W standby (PDF)

2)Extreme performance
ST750LX003 Momentus XT 750GB 7200rpm, 32MB DRAM, 8GB SLC Cache -- 1.3W load (w/APM); 1.1W idle (PDF)
The first above won't fit in a PS3 and the second is a Hybrid SSD drive with 8 Gig of memory. Price is good and thanks for posting. This now explains the low price of conventional drives, Hybrid drives are reasonable at $114 for a 500 gig with 8gig SSD included.

There is something wrong with the way the specs are being reported or I am missing something. It's got a 8 gig SSD drive and a spinning motor and stepper motor yet it specs at 1/3 of a SSD drive????

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If it has more than two USB ports... IM IN
It has 2.

itTE7.jpg

patsu

Sony already said no price drop this year, probably to avoid markdown of old models. If true, the new models will be same price with limited qty of bundles.

Rolf NB

The first above won't fit in a PS3 and the second is a Hybrid SSD drive with 8 Gig of memory. Price is good and thanks for posting. This now explains the low price of conventional drives, Hybrid drives are reasonable at $114 for a 500 gig with 8gig SSD included.
I posted them for the power consumption discussion. The 2TB drive probably poses a reasonable upper bound for power consumption of modern 2.5" SATA drives. You're right that it's too tall to fit PS3 drive bays, but that's another issue.

Any current, mainstream 2.5" SATA HDD (mainstream:= single platter, 5400rpm, no frills) will consume less than either of these two "beast" drives.

jeff_rigby said:
There is something wrong with the way the specs are being reported or I am missing something. It's got a 8 gig SSD drive and a spinning motor and stepper motor yet it specs at 1/3 of a SSD drive????
Not sure I get what you mean. SSDs consume less than 1W in general, don't they?
A current mainstream Crucial m4 SSD consumes just 0.15W under load. Well, well below any HDD. Makes perfect sense to me.

Btw, the big Momentus XT is specced for 2.4W load consumption here. That's probably the value with APM disabled.

realistic to think FW update & release of new model ps3 on the same day the Gnome cycle updates to the newest version? has there been past FW updates on or near dates that the Gnome cycle has been updated in the past? if not, how long afterwards, on average?

i read the links from your post here, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41909238&postcount=997 lots of interesting info. So, not really a question of if, but rather when will these new features be implemented. sept 28th? closer to wii U launch? 2013?
your best guess?
I have been really bad at predicting when updates happen. Keeping that in mind, Yes in the past major updates have occurred near Gnome 6 month release dates in March and September:

http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKitGTKStableReleases said:
The main idea is that the WebKitGTK+ release schedule is (almost perfectly aligned with the GNOME release schedule. We do one stable release every 6 months, at the same time than the stable GNOME release. There's a number of reasons for this, but the main ones are:

We generally agree with the idea of time-based releases. Many of us work on upstream GNOME modules, some of them using WebKit, so it's natural to choose the GNOME schedule. The GNOME schedule can be found at ​http://www.gnome.org/start/unstable.
On top of that, some modules that we maintain are closely tied to WebKit (Epiphany in particular) and developed together with it, so it's extremely convenient to release all these modules at the same time.
Gnome Schedule with stable release 3.6.0 September 26 which is a Wednesday and works for a firmware update.

GTKwebkit 1.9.91 released
Chart of features/roadmap added by version number

Sony is using the GTKwebkit2 APIs to implement a modified GTKwebkit on Vita, PS3 and Blu-ray players.

ATSC 2.0 is I think the endgame but it's going to see slow adoption over 2013 so there may be no rush for those features. Sony has a new president and TGS is in Japan. Everything lines up for a significant announcement and firmware release on the order of 3.0.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Sony already said no price drop this year, probably to avoid markdown of old models. If true, the new models will be same price with limited qty of bundles.

No competent company will announce a price drop months beforehand though, it would put off people buying current models that Sony want to move without having to sell at a loss. Someone "trusted" on here has said the lowest price base model will be $179 which seems viable considering the casual push Sony seem to be trying for this holiday.

MARNEY

I have been really bad at predicting when updates happen. Keeping that in mind, Yes in the past major updates have occurred near Gnome 6 month release dates in March and September:

Gnome Schedule with stable release 3.6.0 September 26 which is a Wednesday and works for a firmware update.

GTKwebkit 1.9.91 released
Chart of features/roadmap added by version number

Sony is using the GTKwebkit2 APIs to implement a modified GTKwebkit on Vita, PS3 and Blu-ray players.

ATSC 2.0 is I think the endgame but it's going to see slow adoption over 2013 so there may be no rush for those features. Sony has a new president and TGS is in Japan. Everything lines up for a significant announcement and firmware release on the order of 3.0.
Kk, thx for the info, will read links ASAP.

Sony stock price has been going up the last few days. The staircase ramps are large buys by someone who has money and knows something.

sonystock.jpg

« Stock News Overview : Article
Buyers Accumulate Shares of Sony, Up 1.6%
1 days 14 minutes ago - Financial News Network Online - Market Movers via Comtex
One of today's stocks on the move is Sony (NYSE:SNE), up 1.6% to $11.83. The S&P is currently trading fractionally lower to 1,437 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average is trading fractionally lower to 13,301.

Mario007

But usually sell-offs occur after big announcements, no? :(

Not necessarily. Watch Apple's stock plumment into skies today. Sony's stock was also up after GC conference and down after E3 conference.

Having said that the above could be related to Xperia T launching as well (as the pre-orders etc might be encouraging) or Xperia Tablet S (which is already being sold) or simply that Sony will be providing more parts for the iPhone 5.

iceatcs

More likely iPhone 5 thing.

I think Sony has been making the iPhone 5 display for while. I'm sure there will be more, like CMOS sensor, battery etc..

Mario007

More likely iPhone 5 thing.

I think Sony has been making the iPhone 5 display for while. I'm sure there will be more, like CMOS sensor, battery etc..

I think they're building the camera, while Sharp is doing the display? There were reports of Apple trying to distance itself from Samsung on memory chips, so maybe Sony will be supplying those?

Though i still wouldn't rule out Xperia T or PS3 mini as possible causes of the stock rise. We'll know Wii-U's price in two days and I think that Sony will react accordingly wiht the PS3 Mini price cut (like if Wii U is 250, I think it'll be certain that we'll see a price cut that will take us to the 200 or below 200 level)

iceatcs

I think they're building the camera, while Sharp is doing the display? There were reports of Apple trying to distance itself from Samsung on memory chips, so maybe Sony will be supplying those?

Though i still wouldn't rule out Xperia T or PS3 mini as possible causes of the stock rise. We'll know Wii-U's price in two days and I think that Sony will react accordingly wiht the PS3 Mini price cut (like if Wii U is 250, I think it'll be certain that we'll see a price cut that will take us to the 200 or below 200 level)

Yeah, It is what I have heard that Apple don't want Samsung involve on their phone.
Maybe that's why it will have number of Sony products. I think Sharp still suffers production. Apple jump on Japan Display (Sony, Hitachi, and Toshiba)

It could be other thing why it has raised but I can't see this is the only reason. All together yeah maybe.

Sony stock price has been going up the last few days. The staircase ramps are large buys by someone who has money and knows something.

sonystock.jpg

Looks like you're making money! How many stocks did you buy? I remember you saying you're putting your money where your mouth is with the PS3 refresh rumor.

Looks like you're making money! How many stocks did you buy? I remember you saying you're putting your money where your mouth is with the PS3 refresh rumor.
Only up about $420. It's not about the PS3 refresh as much as about why the refresh => ATSC 2.0, Full browser, AR that leverages the browser library, Playview, Ultraviolet, IPTV DASH streaming from the Sony store...everything we have heard about is coming, starting this Sept, because the browser and support libraries are advanced enough to start supporting what has been planned since 2008. I suspect the new Japanese President is going to make a name for himself and SONY by announcing at TGS, a Japanese show, everything that's coming in 2013. That should bump up Sony stock a couple of dollars.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it's not just the PS3, the same browser is also being used on Sony networked blu-ray players and the Vita so some of the same features to be seen on the PS3 will be seen on other Sony platforms.

Re-read RVU announced support articles for the PS3 and the ones that announce a start date have October 2012. Several announced at CES 2012 and I assumed March 2012 and it didn't come. Next Gnome cycle is Sept 26-28.

http://www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/06/cable-tests-html5-new-cablelabs-tru2way-tool said:
Cable tests HTML5, new CableLabs tru2way tool
Fri, 06/08/2012 - 3:15pm Brian Santo

Cable is already working with devices that leverage the well-established DLNA standard. HTML5, still under development, looks like another standard common to the electronics industry in general that cable might want to ride further into the IT mainstream. The new CableLabs tru2way RI could be a key enabler for that.

The tru2way RI was developed by CableLabs with support from the open-source community on java.net and integrated into tru2way devices by manufacturers. It was used during the interop as both a client device and a tru2way host device in the multi-vendor interoperability scenarios.

Device manufacturers that participated in the interop at CableLabs included Humax, Samsung Electronics, Sony Computer Entertainment America and Sony Electronics.

Comcast, TWC and Cox provided program guides that integrated tru2way technology with multi-room DVR capability. Comcast and Cox also provided HTML5-based program guides that supported playback of linear content.

DLNA technology component suppliers included Access Systems, Groupo Communications, Myriad Group and PacketVideo. Tru2way host device manufacturers were represented by Cisco. Silicondust provided an OpenCable unidirectional receiver device.

Interoperability scenarios included DLNA premium features (i.e., streaming DVR content, server-side trick modes, DTCP-IP link protection, etc.), as well as streaming of linear content to HTML5 browser-based client services, CableLabs said.

“During the interoperability event, Comcast demonstrated our HTML5 RUI running in an HTML5-based browser and streaming linear content to early implementations of HTML5-based clients. We also demonstrated our multi-room DVR capability using RI-based set-top boxes and multiple vendors’ DLNA-based IP devices,” stated Steve Reynolds, senior vice president of premises technology at Comcast.

“The CableLabs home networking events continue to provide value in advancing interoperability between the growing list of tru2way host devices and DLNA-based home networking devices,” said Mike Hayashi, executive vice president of architecture, development and engineering at Time Warner Cable.

“A prototype of Cox’s HTML5-based Trio guide ran in a Web kit-based browser and streamed linear content from a tru2way-based set-top box acting as a server,” said John Civiletto, executive director of technology architecture at Cox Communications.

The tru2way Home Networking Specifications include the DLNA Interoperability Guidelines. Set-top box manufacturers implement tru2way host devices based on these specifications. CableLabs issued the latest version of the home networking extension specification, along with associated test suites and the tru2way reference implementation software, as part of the Bundle 1.2.2 release in February 2012.

http://www.translation-please.com/column.cfm?columnid=407 said:
article from March 2012 It’s a lot of waiting. From start to finish, the process can take as long as two years. And that’s if everything goes well.

Too long, too long, everyone mutters – technologists included.

That’s why Comcast is taking a different approach, quietly launching what it calls “RDK” – for “Reference Development Kit” – so that system-on-a-chip (SOC) providers (think Broadcom, Intel, and their ilk) can spin “cable ready” silicon.

The intent is to shave as much as a year off the time it takes to launch a new set-top or gateway. How: By starting the work of porting before the chip samples even come back from the factory, then quickly preparing a reference platform box, then moving to development. Weeks, not months.

Broadcom described its plans to support the RDK in a January announcement: “The Comcast RDK is a pre-integrated software bundle that powers tru2way, IP or hybrid set-top boxes … developers using Comcast’s RDK can create rich, multi-screen TV home experiences.”

It’s happening now. The RDK will go on-board Broadcom’s BCM7425 chip; it is already on-board the Intel “Groveland” chips being used in the MSO’s “Parker” boxes, which are rolling out in Augusta, Ga.

What’s in the RDK? Lots of stuff. The short list: A CableLabs “Reference Implementation” (RI) for OCAP and tru2way, Java Virtual Machine (JVM), a video proxy, Gstreamer (a video pipeline framework), QT/webkit (a windowing and browser framework), and support for optional items like Adobe Flash, Microsoft’s Smooth Streaming HD, and DTCP (Digital Transmission Content Protection.)

In software-speak, the RDK is not unlike a Linux “distro” (distribution) – a bundle of source code, drivers, and objects, piled into an SOC, to help manufacturers (and thus operators) get to market more quickly.

The RDK follows a “community source” model, meaning anyone who licenses the RDK is obligated to feed any improvements or bug fixes to all other licensees. (Yes this is a cable first.)

How much? Royalty-free to chip and hardware manufacturers, as well as other service providers who may want to use it.

Watch for RDK and its lingo – SOC, distro, all of the tech-talk components – to become a much bigger deal as those chips come out of the fabs, later this year (2012)
Tru2way takes off in 2013 as does ATSC 2.0, both use essentially the same software stack to support interactive TV and more. A networked Blu-ray player with DLNA ability, HTML5 browser and support for DTCP-IP; like in a PS3, can support either, can be a client for either. It looks like PS4 and Xbox 720 can be a client or a set top box (server) provided it has access to a tuner like Nasne or has a tuner built in like in the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint.

It seems to me the 2013 target date for both PS4 and Xbox 720, information in the Xbox 720 powerpoint and 2013 when ATSC 2.0 and Tru2way take off is planned to support XTV. AMD having support for a next generation game console at the same time stretches credulity. OpenMAX IL 1.2 being delayed from 2008 to 2011 for no reason that I can find, also stretches credulity. Sony and Microsoft have been planning for this since AT LEAST 2008. The PS3 design seems to show support for this from day one since Sony did not want to fragment the PS3 market. Microsoft on the other hand doesn't appear to care about fragmenting the Xbox 360 as the XTV min specs call for 1080P and HDMI 1.3 port speed.

2013 target date I think is confirmed for PS4 and Xbox 720, Set top box & server ability is I think confirmed for both. Xbox 360 and PS3 will be RVU clients for the most part with some abilities in common with next generation. In addition AMD, Sony and Microsoft have purchased cloud gaming companies and Microsoft purchased Skype. It's starting in 2013 with the tools provided late 2012.

sonystock.jpg

SNE is just an ADR. It has staircase ramps because the price is based around the price of the actual stock that is traded in Tokyo combined with the price of the Yen.

Top Bottom