• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

SNE is just an ADR. It has staircase ramps because the price is based around the price of the actual stock that is traded in Tokyo combined with the price of the Yen.
That can cause staircase ramps but in this case sales volume had spikes at the ramp areas.

I originally posted a chart from my stock broker that had the sales volume information in addition to the sales price chart but it stopped displaying.

https://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:SNE

That can cause staircase ramps but in this case sales volume had spikes at the ramp areas.

I originally posted a chart from my stock broker that had the sales volume information in addition to the sales price chart but it stopped displaying.

Look at the chart for the last month. It almost always looks like a staircase ramp and the volume almost always peaks around the beginning and end of the trading day.

The last few days is nothing new for SNE.

AMD invests in cloud gaming company CiiNow

Chip maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. said Tuesday that it has invested in CiiNow, a provider of cloud-based video game technology.

AMD did not say how much it invested and a representative could not immediately be reached for comment.

Cloud-based gaming lets people stream video games over the Internet. One of the most prominent startups in this area, OnLive, recently went through a complex bankruptcy alternative, reorganizing its business amid financial difficulties so it could keep operating.

But the technology holds promise.

"The cloud gaming industry, which was once thought of as technologically impossible, is now disrupting the gaming market for both consumers and game publishers," AMD said.

CiiNow's technology, which will now work with AMD's Radeon graphics, taps into this trend, it added.
And as you know Sony purchased Gaikai.

AMD stock is also up over the same 5 day period and was loosing steadily over the 6 month period preceding this gain. Too early, too short a period to confirm anything but I did also buy a block of AMD stock.

CiiNOW CEO Ron Haberman On AMD Investment, Cloud Gaming E-Sports, and Infrastructure

So we sell to customers that are trying to compete with Gaikai. We sell to customers who are trying to compete with Onlive. We help them create a branded service. The key for us is the technology.

Mr. Haberman tells me that almost every cable or TELCO in the US is in some phase of getting into this business, and it’s only a matter of time before we see mass consumer (and business) adoption of cloud gaming.
This cloud gaming is a consumer product that could be offered by a Cable company set top box in addition to interactive TV (Tru2way). I'm only seeing probably a small portion of what's coming in 2013.

Mario007

Apparently it's being stocked already and there will be 12GB of storage on board:

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/45831/New+12GB+PS3+coming?/

What I don't get is this:

rather than a lowered price Sony could marginally be raising the price even if it's likely to remain around the same level.

I think they mean for the 250 and 500GB model (one GAFer posted that the 500GB model bundle with FIFA will be 309 which is a marginal increase from the 320GB price of 300). I think the 12GB could hit that 179 or 169 price point.

Loudninja

Apparently it's being stocked already and there will be 12GB of storage on board:

I think they mean for the 250 and 500GB model (one GAFer posted that the 500GB model bundle with FIFA will be 309 which is a marginal increase from the 320GB price of 300). I think the 12GB could hit that 179 or 169 price point.
2 people on gaf already said the price will be lowered.

Good find, 12 GB storage on board when standard Flash is 16 gig and we first heard 16 gig seems to me that 4 gigs is reserved for the OS cache/swap. Does this imply the 16 SSD is in ALL models?

Slightly more expensive rumors I expected but I was guessing a camera is included in all new bundles. Signals a return to features/quality rather than price for Sony? The Digitimes rumor seems to imply this with 20 million sold the first year, either cheap or with features that make it very attractive or both. Eliminating Cheap, it must have features, right?

The entry level price will obviously go down. Who knows what special edition or bundle pricing might look like on the top end, though. I think these things will go on sale immediately from the announcement at TGS.

If they're smart, Sony will include like 3 months of PS Plus free with the HDD versions. Promote the hell out of a $199 console that comes with an instant game collection this Christmas and laugh all the way to the bank.

surly

Banned
What can you do with a PS3 with 12GB of storage? One forced install and a few large patches and you're in "juggling space around" territory after playing your very first game.

sTeLioSco

Banned
What can you do with a PS3 with 12GB of storage? One forced install and a few large patches and you're in "juggling space around" territory after playing your very first game.

play the annual cod/fifa/madden and lots of games without installs.

if you don't do downloads or buy a ps3 to get lots of games from its library its ok....

I see. It's the PS3 for the gamer that's not really into games.

it's for the average consumer. you're making this into a problem that doesn't exist. the average consumer will buy whatever game he wants, if it needs an install so be it, if he doesn't have any space, he deletes it.

Plug a fucking hard drive into it?

And please quit the fucking hyperbole. I haven't even used close to 12GB on my ps3 with multiple installs, patches, and saves.

surly

Banned
exactly the same as the millions of arcade systems of 360s...
It's not the same at all.

The 360 was designed as a system that could be used without a hard drive from the very beginning. There are no forced installs for any games at all. Patches are small.

The PS3 was not designed that way. Many games have massive forced installs. Many games have large patches.

H_Prestige said:
Plug a fucking hard drive into it?

And please quit the fucking hyperbole.
Wow. How angry are you?

°°ToMmY°° said:
It's the ps3 for the guy that just buys cod and/or fifa, plus a few games more
It's the misleading low priced PS3 that won't be so low priced when the owner realises how gimped it is. It's a bit like the Vita situation with the memory cards. No on board storage so it's cheaper, but gimped unless you buy extra storage.

deadlast

It's the misleading low priced PS3 that won't be so low priced when the owner realises how gimped it is. It's a bit like the Vita situation with the memory cards. No on board storage so it's cheaper, but gimped unless you buy extra storage.

It's the PS3 that is marketed directly at me. All I have is a 360, so a cheaper PS3 would make me want to buy it just to play PS3 exclusives.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

This isn't aimed at those who will be buying all those games though, the 16GB model is the model they want the casual audience to buy.

Which is why it is coming out along with Wonderbook and all their new Greatest hits and Collection boxes that Sony are re-releasing suddenly, and as far as I know none of the first part stuff requires any sort of big install and will probably be fully updated.

I also wouldn't have been surprised if Sony started selling a branded HDD to go along with the new smaller model, but nothing has appeared.

MrSlippery519

Neo Member

To you and me yes that is very true however to many gamer's this wont be an issue, if they run out of space they will simply delete something.

Also for people who are smart they will buy the lowest priced model and install their own HDD at a fraction of the cost that Sony charges for it.

Mario007

Awful comparison. With Vita memory cards are part of the ecosystem that makes Sony money, Sony is not limiting the harddrives you can hook up to your ps3 in a way MS does with 360.

It's a bit like the Vita situation with the memory cards. No on board storage so it's cheaper, but gimped unless you buy extra storage.

It's not like the Vita situation at all. There are plenty of games you can't even boot without buying a memory card, not to mention you need it to save games. It's not comparable.

onQ123

so a cheaper PS3 with 12GB of storage is misleading & gimped but it's ok to sell a console with 4GB of storage that you can't use most of it's best features like playing games online or any of it's media features unless you pay $50 a year?

herod

so a cheaper PS3 with 12GB of storage is misleading & gimped but it's ok to sell a console with 4GB of storage that you can't use most of it's best features like playing games online or any of it's media features unless you pay $50 a year?

360 doesn't have mandatory installations.

coldfoot

Banned
You can always delete install data before moving on to a new game so all games will work in the 12GB PS3, plus, hdd prices are cheap for the ps3 if one decides later that they want more space. It's about as inconvenient as...swapping disks.

herod

You can always delete install data before moving on to a new game so all games will work in the 12GB PS3, plus, hdd prices are cheap for the ps3 if one decides later that they want more space. It's about as inconvenient as...swapping disks.

This is a joke, right? Imagine switching from one mandatory install game to say... GT5.

I'd take swapping discs any day of the week.

Great offer. Seems that the usual suspects are here to tell us how is an awful value proposition, when it's clear that's not the case. Keep it up, don't forget the let all your friends know and their friends as well. Fight the good fight.

onQ123

No, MY favourite console is the best one!

Panda%20Cart%20Turnover.gif_thumb.jpg

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

The MP for Halo 4 is now mandatory, got to have 8GB minimum to play online, pretty sure there was one other too, but yea, that is like less than 1% of the games on the 360.

This is a joke, right? Imagine switching from one mandatory install game to say... GT5.

GT5s install wasn't mandatory iirc, it would put a couple hundread megabytes on your HDD but you didn't have to install it to play it, now all those patches it had...

KalBalboa

Banned
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but this means every one of these new PS3s would have 12 gigs of available storage on board?

When you add in an addition hard drive you'll still have that 4 gigs reserved for OS and 12 additional gigs for storage? Think this would improve OS speeds for installs, etc?

The 360 was designed as a system that could be used without a hard drive from the very beginning. There are no forced installs for any games at all. Patches are small.

The PS3 was not designed that way. Many games have massive forced installs. Many games have large patches.

Wow. How angry are you?

No, cause if you're a guy that plays just a few games a year and trust me, there are plenty of those, you don't need a big hdd. I have about half of my friends with a ps3 that have probably less than 10 gigs occupied on their consoles and that is after a few years of owning it. To those a 50 dollars cheaper ps3 without an hdd is more enticing than one with a giant hdd that cost them just a bit more.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but this means every one of these new PS3s would have 12 gigs of available storage on board?

When you add in an addition hard drive you'll still have that 4 gigs reserved for OS and 12 additional gigs for storage? Think this would improve OS speeds for installs, etc?

We don't know yet, it could just be a bit of flash where the HDD bay is that you would have to take out.

surly

Banned
Awful comparison. With Vita memory cards are part of the ecosystem that makes Sony money, Sony is not limiting the harddrives you can hook up to your ps3 in a way MS does with 360.
They've stripped out part of the product in order to make the base unit cheaper, but what they've stripped out seriously gimps it. That's a very good comparison if you ask me.

herod said:
Imagine switching from one mandatory install game to say... GT5.
It's GT5 Prologue that had a forced install - over 5GB. That install only takes 35 minutes - just like swapping a disc. GT5 has an optional install of 6-7GB that massively decreases loading times. You could do that install every time you play as it only takes 40 minutes - just like swapping a disc. Both games have huge patches that also need to be installed, but if you delete those through lack of space it only takes 10 minutes or so to download and install them again if you have fast broadband - just like swapping a disc.

Obviously I sit back quite far from my TV. About 10 miles back in fact, which is why it takes me so long to swap discs.

Speaking of installs, does anyone know why we cannot install PS3 Blu-Ray games on our HDDs? Not a partial install, but a FULL install.

XBOX360 already supports that and it certainly helps (faster loading times and less wear and tear on the laser lens).

Oemenia

Banned
Speaking of installs, does anyone know why we cannot install PS3 Blu-Ray games on our HDDs? Not a partial install, but a FULL install.

XBOX360 already supports that and it certainly helps (faster loading times and less wear and tear on the laser lens).
360 installs are mostly just image dumps whereas PS3 ones are configured to be as small as possible, even then many of the same games load just as fast if not faster on the 360 that have mandatory installs.

That's the best guess but not confirmed yet.....we are hoping this is the case and making arguments for it.

1) A removable 16 gb SSD drive is just about as expensive as a cheap 130 gig Hard Disk.
2) To have a cheap SSD drive it would be a memory chip on the motherboard and all motherboards are identical so all boards should have the SSD drive.
3) IF it's a total refresh with more modern hardware (EPS Goldstar rating for consoles voluntary now or within 2 years California will require) then we might have a faster SATA interface or even a PCIe interface which can support 6gb/sec transfer speeds. With such an interface, OS on SSD or cache on SSD will be used effectively. The SSD drive might support a total redesign and the total redesign makes SSD memory practical for the OS and swap.

Will we see the announcements on the 20th or the 21st? Both are business days of TGS. I'm getting antsy. I just want to know what's going to be out there and what the price is going to be so I can make an appropriate purchasing decision to replace my launch 60gb.

patsu

They've stripped out part of the product in order to make the base unit cheaper, but what they've stripped out seriously gimps it. That's a very good comparison if you ask me.

It's GT5 Prologue that had a forced install - over 5GB. That install only takes 35 minutes - just like swapping a disc. GT5 has an optional install of 6-7GB that massively decreases loading times. You could do that install every time you play as it only takes 40 minutes - just like swapping a disc. Both games have huge patches that also need to be installed, but if you delete those through lack of space it only takes 10 minutes or so to download and install them again if you have fast broadband - just like swapping a disc.

Obviously I sit back quite far from my TV. About 10 miles back in fact, which is why it takes me so long to swap discs.

If they allow us to use an external or internal HDD later, then it may be fine.

A more expensive PS3 sounds very interesting though.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

If you were that type of gamer you would invest in a HD, same on the 360.

PS. Next use a game with a mandatory install if you want to make a point.

Top Bottom