• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sega Genesis Plug-In-Play Console announced, Coming in October

Nanashrew

Banned
While Sega has been licensing these awful things for ages, I don't think Sega can make a first party mini console themselves this late in the game. If they were still in the console business, then yeah, I could have seen it happening. But since going third party they don't really have a hardware division anymore.

Best they could offer is helping with emulation of these third party products.

If Sega gave a damn they would produce their own like Nintendo, it shouldn't cost too much.

But these machines are garbage, I have the Sonic games on Steam, and only cost £3 in total including other favourites of mine.

Don't touch people with a barge pole.

Getting the NES one as it is done by Nintendo and not licenced out

Yeah, game selection is the only difference, this thing is old. I looked into getting one of these Genesis Plug and Play + cartridge units about three years in an old thread I posted and was immediately flooded with replies and video links saying to avoid it like the plague due to horrible sound emulation, composite only video and poor quality. It's not like a Genesis 3, it's just a terrible clone machine.

Edit: Watch this if you want to see how awful the sound emulation on this thing is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIw2R50RNf4#t=247

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So what was wrong with the past iterations of this thing? I doubt I would ever buy one since I own that awesome Genesis collection on PS3 and many of them on Steam, but I'm just curious what's wrong with it.

The Nintendo one has HDMI and controllers that work with Wiimotes, which makes it automatically superior.

The big issue is that the sound emulation is usually completely off.

Here's a video of Ashens playing a handheld version of one of these things to give you an idea of how bad it is.

Video should start at 13:16 if my link isn't working there.

RedBoot

The box says "More Sonic and RPG games included," and 3D Blast hasn't been in any of these yet as far as I know.

The product page's game list is the same as the old consoles, though.

So I guess this has 3D Blast and maybe some Phantasy Star or Shining Force? No idea just yet. Maybe it only has 30 or so filler games and more actual Genesis/Mega Drive titles?

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
This looks like just a restock of the old model, which is composite only and has shoddy emulation. The only benefit of this model is that it can use cartridges from any region.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It'd be better if it was shaped like the original Genesis. I mean the Model 1. Or at least the Model 2.

80 games. Like seriously, c'mon Nintendo!

I wouldn't buy it as is because I never cared for Sega's game selection. Which is why I was always a Nintendo kid. To me Sonic looked nice but that wasn't enough to get me to switch. I do remember the first time I actually touched and played a Genesis though.

If it were shaped like a Genesis and came in a classic Genesis box, it'd be worth it for collecting alone. Which is the main reason I'll get a Nintendo Classic. But a generic black rounded box with a slot for Genesis cartridges isn't enough. I'd buy it if they traded the BC for accuracy in design like Nintendo is. However I'd also buy the Nintendo Classic if it could actually play NES cartridges either way so I guess that's that.

RetroArch builds are so far beyond what these silly toys offer. Why doesn't someone spend money to market a box?

Someone already did.

51EXA7TuORL._SX425_.jpg

Pinky

Banned
Man, for a sec I thought Sega was putting this out. Does ATGames put out good products? If so, I'll jump on this. If not, :-/...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is this that thing that has the awful sound emulation?

Fuck that. The real question is: Is the controllers USB and able to be used on PC and good quality?

I'd pay $50 for two "Saturn" pads to use in fighters if that's the case.

PSqueak

Banned
Im really astounded at the amount of people who don't realize sega has been releasing plug and play genesis models for years and think they're getting on nintendo's NES mini's game.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I know it doesn't look like the original console, but this is way more value for your money in my opinion.

Even with the sound issues this could still make for a great gift for kids who didn't grow up with the games and won't know the difference.

Too bad it's composite only though.

Joqu

Im really astounded at the amount of people who don't realize sega has been releasing plug and play genesis models for years and think they're getting on nintendo's NES mini's game.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if this is getting a rebrand because of the whole nes mini thing, that thing got some good buzz. nothing wrong with that tho

People not realizing the ones sega has been licensing out for years have been of questionable quality is more of an issue though. I imagine we're all hoping the mini is going to be more solid in comparison

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
There will also be a Portable Genesis device like the previous ones. SD Card support.

Also expect an Atari Flashback 7, and a Portable Atari Flashback.

post-47192-0-58563100-1467971272_thumb.png

As well as the Retro-Bit Generations, which features 60 Data East and Capcom arcade games. Composite & HDMI output.

maxresdefault.jpg

I mean, it's basically a relic from the days where every clone system flooding market stalls across the world (mostly NES/Famicom) was SOAC and they always had accuracy issues (mostly sound and incompatible games). Now we're into the Android era where these systems are all just Ouya style boxes that use modified versions of existing emulators (sometimes without permission).

Realistically there is nothing stopping Sega taking back the license to make these and put out their own NES Mini style system - one which has decent build quality and accurate emulation - but we know they won't since that's not the easy option.

Even in an Android era, the draw for this device comes from it having a real Genesis cartridge slot and two 9 pin controller ports for real Genesis game pads. It would be great if the SOAC emulation was solid. But it is still not and AtGames continues to deliver the same broken product that they have been delivering for almost a decade now.

I would kill to have a Sega Genesis version of the Nintendo Classic System. You can say whatever you want about Nintendo's upcoming PnP system, but the build quality on it looks phenomenal. Though I still need to see the emulation quality for it.

Bumhead

Banned
Was tempted to buy one of these when I saw it in a gadget shop a few weeks ago for £50.

Bought an original Mega Drive 2 in pretty much mint condition with a 60hz switch for £30 instead.

I regret nothing.

You REALLY don't want them.

Kinda figured.

Funny how this multi game thing is suddenly a new idea. I remember being in primary school nearly 25 years ago and a friend of mine came back from a holiday in asia with a gameboy cart that contained about 200 games, all working perfectly.

Time is a strange thing.....

It'd be better if it was shaped like the original Genesis. I mean the Model 1. Or at least the Model 2.

80 games. Like seriously, c'mon Nintendo!

Actually, if it's consistent with other AtGames Sega units, only 40 are Genesis games, and the other 40 are generic new filler games like "Tennis" or whatever. Probably Android fluff.

Fox Mulder

Sega hasn't, they just license to shit peddlers that sell awful products. Half the games on these are generic shit no one ever played on a Genesis.

Announcing this new version totally is trying to ride on the back of Nintendos recent announcement with the same shit theyve been selling.

I would kill to have a Sega Genesis version of the Nintendo Classic System. You can say whatever you want about Nintendo's upcoming PnP system, but the build quality on it looks phenomenal. Though I still need to see the emulation quality for it.

Since Nintendo is putting their own seal on it and directly behind the production, I would guess the emulation should be equal to their VC offerings at least.

Opa-Pa

I have known these for years but only recently I found out they were actually licensed by Sega and not just some bootleg trash lol, embarrassing.

How ironic that they're announcing another one of these to take advantage of the NES mini craze when they did it first in the past... except we know Nintendo is behind theirs and are likely to make it a quality product.

Sega's tendency to put out shitty products that damage their brand for (sometimes) easy money is kinda worrying when you realize is not something exclusive to the Sonic series.

MrNelson

Banned
Kinda figured.

Funny how this multi game thing is suddenly a new idea. I remember being in primary school nearly 25 years ago and a friend of mine came back from a holiday in asia with a gameboy cart that contained about 200 games, all working perfectly.

Time is a strange thing.....

This one in particular isn't new, they've been doing them for at least the last 7 years, each iteration has been just as shitty as the last.

Maybe the resounding success of the NES Mini will convince SEGA to make the next plug-n-play themselves instead. One can only hope.

StereoVsn

As others have mentioned, this is the same licensed cheaply made device with terrible mono sound, composite video, NO game saves and generally bad build quality. Plus it doesn't have some of the better Sega games.

You can go to Amazon, Walmart, Toys R Us, etc. and buy one right now. It's still going to be the same terrible system.

The whole point of Nintendo Mini is that it's made by Nintendo, has HDMI and thus good video/sound, going to have decent build quality and has a good selection of games.

Mega

Banned
Yeah, this is a video of an older model, but I have little trust in things like these. Exception would be the Atari Flashback 2 or 2+, which apparently uses real hardware (supposedly you can even solder a cartridge slot onto it). Those weren't made by ATGames, I think, though.

Yeah, they need to be more like these real hardware SoC, but the target demographic doesn't care so it ends up just being crappy emulation.

I'm kind of hoping that the NES Classic Edition is a SoC, but I highly doubt it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, game selection is the only difference, this thing is old. I looked into getting one of these Genesis Plug and Play + cartridge units about three years in an old thread I posted and was immediately flooded with replies and video links saying to avoid it like the plague due to horrible sound emulation, composite only video and poor quality. It's not like a Genesis 3, it's just a terrible clone machine.

Edit: Watch this if you want to see how awful the sound emulation on this thing is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIw2R50RNf4#t=247

Hahaha, oh man. It literally sounds like totally different compositions.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I have known these for years but only recently I found out they were actually licensed by Sega and not just some bootleg trash lol, embarrassing.

How ironic that they're announcing another one of these to take advantage of the NES mini craze when they did it first in the past... except we know Nintendo is behind theirs and are likely to make it a quality product.

Sega's tendency to put out shitty products that damage their brand for (sometimes) easy money is kinda worrying when you realize is not something exclusive to the Sonic series.

Pretty confident this was in the planning all along and that the NES Classic Mini didn't change anything. They have a refresh/re-release almost every year. Usually with only some minor differences.

Top Bottom