• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sega Genesis Plug-In-Play Console announced, Coming in October

M3d10n

Yeah, they need to be more like these real hardware SoC, but the target demographic doesn't care so it ends up just being crappy emulation.

I'm kind of hoping that the NES Classic Edition is a SoC, but I highly doubt it.

It's not, it even has save states.

This looks literally like just every other SEGA Plug and Play. Nintendo's a first party product that they're marketing themselves, so if they're trying to compete, good luck to them. lol

Opa-Pa

Pretty confident this was in the planning all along and that the NES Classic Mini didn't change anything. They have a refresh/re-release almost every year. Usually with only some minor differences.
Oh of course, it's just that I don't recall them announcing them like this online very often, which I asume is why so many people think this is the first time they release this kind of thing.

I could be wrong but before these just appeared out of nowhere most times.

Nairume

Banned
Better scale with HDMI and have the same video quality as the mini nes.
Otherwise there is no point in owning this.

AV cables in 2016?
Really sega??
These are meant to be cheaper products geared towards people who aren't going to care about video quality.

It's also why the actual selection of games in these Geneses are also way less curated than what's in the Mini NES.

I had one of those. Looked exactly the same. Also composite out on a 1080p/4K tv looks absolutely insanely horrible...

Also the sound quality will make you ears bleed...

Also, aren't Genesis 1 models RGB ready out of the box with no need for modding? If so I'd just get a cheap Genesis 1, find an RGB cable and get an RGB to HDMI converter (decent converter adapters can be had as low as $30 or so) if one really is serious about playing real Genesis games on a modern TV that's probably to be the best option.

rrs

so it's the crap genesis soc licensed clone, but now with less trash games because Nintendo is about to squash their market

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I do.

A, B, A, C, A, B, B

Yup. As the Genesis fanboy that I was, the MK blood code was the only thing that made my Super Nintendo loving friends jealous. lol. To be fair, we both loved SNES and Genesis, but I could only afford a Genesis at the time, so I just borrowed friend's SNES's, or visited my cousin that owned everything, to get my fix. lol

This product doesn't seem good, though. My Genesis still works, so if I need a Genesis fix, I'll just hook it up. My NES still works too, but I don't own all of the games from the NES Classic Edition, so I'll be buying that one for sure.

Nairume

Banned
so it's the crap genesis soc licensed clone, but now with less trash games because Nintendo is about to squash their market
If that's the same one as the last one of theirs with MK1, 2, and 3, the games being swapped out Ecco 2, Sonic 3D Blast, and Eternal Champions.

So it kiiiinda swaps out some not great stuff, but actual trash like Altered Beast are still in.

lazygecko

Watch this video:

https://youtu.be/qUw7G5K2-Hg

Make sure you get at least three minutes in. Things are garbage.

The problem with these sub-par emulation solutions is usually that they just have 1 universal sample rate for the whole signal chain, while on the actual console the internal synthesis works at 53khz which is independant from the final output's sample rate, and with the nature of FM the sample rate itself is going to have a very tangible effect on how things sound fundamentally.

That's certainly the problem here. But then there seems to be an additional problem on top of that with the chips somehow being tuned lower, and the FM and PSG chips being tuned differently on top of that, which is what makes it sound so off-key when the two are mixed together.

Yeah too bad this isn't an official Sega release. Also to be 80 games a cursory glance at that list leaves much to be decided. No Castle of Illusion, No Vectorman, etc.

Frostburn

Actually this is effectively Sega re-releasing something they already released many years ago, but with HDMI instead of AV.

Not even Sega actually.
Huh? This console doesn't have HDMI, just AV out...

This is a good read for anyone considering this "console". Disappointing too because a real Genesis Classic with HDMI, real controllers and good games would be amazing

NolbertoS

I bought a portable one of that. Now I find this thread :(. Thx for killing my nostalgia, GAF. I'll just keep it sealed and play the NES Classic instead

EctoPrime

I have used the 2008 model with 15 games and besides the wonky sound the cartridge port damaged one of my Columns carts pins upon removal. I dont recommend testing out anything irreplaceable on the machine.

Top Bottom