• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Luigi U Official Overview Trailer (JP)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm not sure I've ever seen such fan hatred of a series of games based on, essentially, not liking the art.

NSMB Wii and U pretty much trounce Super Mario World where it counts - level design. SMB3 is given a run for its money and beaten in many places.

On both primary console NSMB titles, the team continued to explore ever more creative and unique level design concepts and never seemed to run out of ideas. It's very hard to not see putting Super Mario World on a pedestal for "innovation" as the effect of childhood nostalgia.

I was already an adult when I played SMW. I've actually got a copy on Wii U sitting next to NSMB U. I replayed it two weeks ago. It's a nice game; but now kind of boring in relation to the courses in NSMB U or even NSMB Wii. I can appreciate being tired of the art direction in NSMB as a brand (but that's the thing - it is its own franchise at this point). But give the games credit where they are due.

I'm sure my son will be all over this (4)

to which i will be forced to play, beat, save deleted, only to beat again.

As the father of a 3 year old, I know this pain only too well. It doesn't matter how many times you have to confirm a save deletion, or how well you hide it in the menu... children can find and use it.

That said, there are worse ways I could be spending my time and money. This year is actually going to be pretty killer on my wallet, more so than probably the last few years.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If I'm rewarded a special world from getting all the star coins again, I'm interested. Probably will get this when the retail version is $20 or so.

If I'm rewarded a special world from getting all the star coins again, I'm interested. Probably will get this when the retail version is $20 or so.

The game is going to be limited physical release, I wouldn't count on the retail version ever being $20.

I'm not sure I've ever seen such fan hatred of a series of games based on, essentially, not liking the art.

NSMB Wii and U pretty much trounce Super Mario World where it counts - level design. SMB3 is given a run for its money and beaten in many places.

I definitely wouldn't say this, I wouldn't say this at all. That said, the level designs are varied and awesome, but they lack a lot of what made SM3 and SMW's levels so interesting... That is, lots of secret areas that can only be obtained through trial and error and constant use of the best power ups. Most of the hidden areas in NSMB series are just "check every pipe" type affairs... it's not bad, and the games are quite fun, but they lack that exploratory/experimentation that the older games had... Mostly because of the multiplayer focus. Which is part of the reason I was so sad to see Luigi U no longer being single player only (which is what it was originally announced as)

I have. And as I said, it was probably the most boring experience I have had with a 2D Mario platformer in my entire life.

No helping you, I guess, because I feel that apart from the music, NSMB U is absolutely the best Mario platformer since SMW, and that is including Yoshi's Island (Sorry YI superfans, I still love it apart from the baby mario mechanic).

I don't know, Kamek, maybe you're letting nostalgia dominate your perception a bit too much?

D-e-f-

Banned
How can you buy this? Seriously, it's just ANOTHER New Super Mario Bros with the same backgrounds, music, physics, ideas and horrible graphic design.

But none of these are true. What now? NSMBU was a fantastic game. Now I get 82 more levels that go a lot crazier and are tougher with the time limit for 20 (or 30 if I want that box) bucks? Sign me the fuck up!

So will Luigi get his own challenge stages?

No, they haven't said anything about challenge mode inclusion. I doubt there will be one.

Wait I'm confused about this Pro Controller news... Is the patch for that in NSMB only going to be available via the digital version of NSLU?

No ... it's a regular-ass patch for the game.

As the father of a 3 year old, I know this pain only too well. It doesn't matter how many times you have to confirm a save deletion, or how well you hide it in the menu... children can find and use it.

That said, there are worse ways I could be spending my time and money. This year is actually going to be pretty killer on my wallet, more so than probably the last few years.

I just wish they implemented something like the do in Monster Hunter 3U. You have to go to options and hold specific buttons long enough for a prompt to appear to delete saves.

I was 75% of all gold coins collected in Mario Wii U when he deleted it the first time.

:-(

lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I definitely wouldn't say this, I wouldn't say this at all. That said, the level designs are varied and awesome, but they lack a lot of what made SM3 and SMW's levels so interesting... That is, lots of secret areas that can only be obtained through trial and error and constant use of the best power ups. Most of the hidden areas in NSMB series are just "check every pipe" type affairs... it's not bad, and the games are quite fun, but they lack that exploratory/experimentation that the older games had... Mostly because of the multiplayer focus. Which is part of the reason I was so sad to see Luigi U no longer being single player only (which is what it was originally announced as)

I suppose it's hard for me to count some things like secret exits in the big picture, since once you find them, they're found. It's fair though to say the level design focus is different in NSMB due to multiplayer.

Even so, what impresses me about the design is how imaginative and varied the primary action of each course is. It makes it very replayable (probably important to the multiplayer aspect). I've actually noted before the overworld in NSMB U lacks the same quality of nested secrets as SMW... but in other ways is bigger and better. It's a tradeoff.

I have. And as I said, it was probably the most boring experience I have had with a 2D Mario platformer in my entire life.

It sounds like you don't actually feel like a 2D Mario game right now.

No helping you, I guess, because I feel that apart from the music, NSMB U is absolutely the best Mario platformer since SMW, and that is including Yoshi's Island (Sorry YI superfans, I still love it apart from the baby mario mechanic).

I don't know, Kamek, maybe you're letting nostalgia dominate your perception a bit too much?

There's not nostalgia. Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island were games that made the Mario gaming experience evolve. They all introduced new mechanics, physics, elements and ideas that made them original titles, respecting the game basic pillars. The were games that really felt as sequels, and not as expansions. It's this kind of attitude what makes the industry progress and improve.

New Super Mario Bros games recycle ideas from past Mario games, recycle backgrounds and ambientations, recycle physics, moves, elements, bosses, animations, structures, music tracks, sounds and almost everything they can to just offer more and more levels of just the same. Yeah, they put the ? blocks in other places and wow there are now dry bones-pirahna plants but that doesn't make them something new.

As I said, you can enjoy New Super Mario Bros U as a good 2D Mario game if you haven't played any other NSMB, but when you have played the other three the experience gets repetitive and boring because it doesn't add anything remarcable. I want the philosophy of Super Mario Galaxy apllied to 2D Mario games, as they used to do with the other titles I've mentioned. Because if they have had back in the 80's the attitude and lazyness they have with this series, we would still be playing Donkey Kong Arcade right now.

trixx

New Super Mario Bros U is the best in the franchise, sure and the level designs are much better, yes. But compared to a game like Donkey Kong Country Returns the level design is very uninspired. I'm not asking for dynamic cameras and variances in art designs but how about those levels were the screen was closing in on you etc.. The only level that was like that that i can recall was bowser jr's airship in the forest world of NSMBU

NSMBU is a great game but man it feels like very little is added each time. Maybe i'm liking donkey kong more because there is only 1 title since snes era.

Im guessing the even newer nsmb game will add online and leaderboards if a newer one comes out

D-e-f-

Banned

On both primary console NSMB titles, the team continued to explore ever more creative and unique level design concepts and never seemed to run out of ideas. It's very hard to not see putting Super Mario World on a pedestal for "innovation" as the effect of childhood nostalgia.

I was already an adult when I played SMW. I've actually got a copy on Wii U sitting next to NSMB U. I replayed it two weeks ago. It's a nice game; but now kind of boring in relation to the courses in NSMB U or even NSMB Wii. I can appreciate being tired of the art direction in NSMB as a brand (but that's the thing - it is its own franchise at this point). But give the games credit where they are due.

Yet again, I find myself agreeing with you completely

Explain this save-delete/play-again circle to someone without children please. Sounds weirdly fascinating.

This is a somewhat limited run. Don't expect this in a bargain bin (which it wouldn't hit anyway since it's a Nintendo first party Mario game).

That said, the level designs are varied and awesome, but they lack a lot of what made SM3 and SMW's levels so interesting... That is, lots of secret areas that can only be obtained through trial and error and constant use of the best power ups. Most of the hidden areas in NSMB series are just "check every pipe" type affairs... it's not bad, and the games are quite fun, but they lack that exploratory/experimentation that the older games had...

What? How so? I've spend just as much time doing weird running through invisible walls and hopping over the screen type things and power-up-dependent acrobatics in the NSMB games as in SMW, for example. At least.

J@hranimo

Banned
Even though I don't have a Wii U (yet), I want to buy the physical of this when it comes out. Maybe it could be worth something in the future? Year of Luigi and all lol.
I just like the green case

D-e-f-

Banned
Even though I don't have a Wii U (yet), I want to buy the physical of this when it comes out. Maybe it could be worth something in the future? Year of Luigi and all lol.
I just like the green case

Buy 2. Put one away for future crazy collectors and use the other one on your personal green-box-fetish shrine.*

*= sold separately

If "new" is more important than "good", you should aim for the indie sector.
It really isn't too much to ask for both in my opinion. That's how Mario games used to be: Mario 1 => 2 (American) => 3 => World => Yoshi's Island were all new/varied from each other AND good.

I'm in the minority, but something I like more about NSMB 2 (other than the fact I got it for $10) is that the huge focus on coin collection actual gives the game a unique feel to me. It still looks and plays and sounds the same which is boring, but making coin collection a primary goal was at least a small alteration to the usual "get to the flag pole" structure.

Just the fact that this expansion is focused on Luigi is a big plus to me. I always loved how Luigi plays; a little slow, but I like the floatier jumps.

D-e-f-

Banned
They really betrayed that 'one per Nintendo console' thing. Sure 'it's DLC', but that's just a way to talk around it.

I can't see how this is a bad thing, really. You pay a third of the price for the same amount of content (minus the challenges, presumably).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This actually looks fantastic. Can't quite say I'd buy a WiiU for it, but I'm definitely picking up the retail release of it whenever I do get one.

skull kid

of course it's pretty shallow for someone to 'hate' on a game because of that, but the fact it alienates a lot of people is a reality, as you rightfully suggested. I remember getting the first one when it came out on the ds, despite it being moderately fun I still wouldn't call it a memorable experience. As soon as I saw the Wii version, first thing I thought was how uninspired it looked, the similarities with its predecessor were overwhelming. Even the title sounded really dull and in the long term a sort of negative association with the NSMB brand has been established and cemented. I also don't feel like paying full price if they keep recycling assets and ideas..no matter how good the level design is I'd rather reward more enthusiastic efforts like rayman origins.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
NSMBU was my GOTY last year, but honestly, Luigi's movement physics makes this look significantly less appealing. I don't really want it. :-(

How can you buy this? Seriously, it's just ANOTHER New Super Mario Bros with the same backgrounds, music, physics, ideas and horrible graphic design. And we already have four of that. The first one was fun, and the second one had a point with the multiplayer. But I don't think playing (and paying for) a 2D Mario is funny anymore, it has become awfully repetitive. If we keep buying this crap we will never get a good 2D Mario again, because in Nintendo they will think we are okay with this. And we are not, Mario deserves titles as great as Donkey Kong Country Returns.

...It's not a new game. It's DLC.

Nintendo is being really kind and offering that DLC in disk form so people who don't have their Wii U connected to the internet can still play it.

While I do want that sexy box art, I'll probably end up just going the DLC route. Or maybe not if it ends up being too ginormous.

Hopefully I can pick up the physical copy used at some point, assuming this doesn't experience limited prints and becomes rare.

Lasdrub

Very excited about this game. Love the box art, but not enough to spend an extra $10. I wish they would sell just the box.

Seik

Banned
Will buy retail, even if I already have NSMBU.

It'll be a great memorial for the year of Luigi. :p

Can't say I'm not pissed because it's out by the end of August, hell, why so far? Japan is getting it almost at the same time the DD releases and UK gets it by the end of July. ;_;

These will be two loooong months between DD and retail for me.

1.5GB? Oh man those of us with a Wii U basic are kind of screwed.

I wonder if I should pick up a 32GB microSD for $25 and use it via USB port.

20$ for a 32Gb USB stick and you're good for a while.

Bullza2o

JimboJones

Why not just a USB stick, why get a microSD card only to have to plug it into a microSD USB dongle thing?

chrono01

I can't wait!

...But it looks like I'll have no choice. Why does the physical version have to be released two months later? :(

Oh well. I'm looking forward to the impressions of those that purchase it digitally!

D-e-f-

Banned

Well, if you wanna go digital, you should be prepared to sort out your storage. You knew that in advance.

Does anyone know if the physical copy of the game is a limited edition print like Metroid Prime: Trilogy, or just a standard version that won't be difficult to find later on?

Top Bottom