• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'The Last Of Us' previews, screens and video

meta4

Yeah that is what I meant.

I think this is much more horror than gaf expected.

I actually did not expect this much of a horror element in the game. I expected survival and tense encounters but not actual horror like this. These enemies also seem super smart . I need to really get my hands on this game soon!

It's always looked like that. Gameplay is full of jaggies and muddy textures because they're not using AA and AF of any kind. Cutscenes seem to be a completely different beast though, those look amazing.
Not really, game looked a whole lot sharper before

I also preferred the minimal HUD they had going on before

Trickster

Don't judge this game from stills. It'll probably blow our minds when actually played, just like every ND title this gen.

The gameplay footage we've seen from this, especially in that dark underground area is chock full of jaggies, it's pretty crazy tbh.

Not really, game looked a whole lot sharper before

I also preferred the minimal HUD they had going on before

It did, it was just not as noticable because the areas they showed before were in brighter enviroments, which helped hide the jaggies. That dark underground area (subway station?) makes it a lot more noticable because the flashlight creates a sharp contrast.

The_Monk

I honestly can't wait to play this Story, that's the most hyped thing I want from this game, the Story, even more than graphics since they seem more than good enough for me.

I also hope the gameplay is solid. Sound already seems really good and I can't wait to try with my Surround Headset.

meta4

Okay I have not seen the gameplay vids and do not plan to till release.

But for those that did which kind of encounters do you prefer - the human encounters or the infected encounters? Which ones do you want more of in the game? Also do they require drastically different tactics?

I wonder how much they will balance these two. I think the infected stuff will be a lot more sporadic.

I remember when the Uncharted 3 MP beta was released and people went crazy because of the connectivity issues and were already shooting down the game. The next day, game was fine.

The whole demo seemed to lack the fluency and high quality animation of the E3 demo. Seems to have fallen back to the ranks of normal games now. I'm guessing they really did fake parts of that demo

Pooya

But for those that did which kind of encounters do you prefer - the human encounters or the infected encounters

the humans definitely, E3 footage looked a lot better imo and more interesting.

? Which ones do you want more of in the game? Also do they require drastically different tactics?

well, maybe the player isn't good here, but he's just running around, melee or shoot zombies, run away, grab something repeat, there is a lot of crouch running and circling in same area. hard to tell how the level layout is, it's too dark, seems open enough.

salromano

Here are three screen-caps (which you can probably pass off as official screenshots) I took from the download version of the 2-minute gameplay (which is 1.7 gigs—2 minutes is 1.7 gigs!):

tlou_02-04_001dtkz3.jpg

tlou_02-04_002icjpj.jpg

tlou_02-04_003hdk8p.jpg

And if you're looking for the highest-res and untouched versions (no watermarks) of today's media, I've got all 16 screenshots and 12 artworks here. They're really quite the beaut.

Revven

Wow, uhm... I'm impressed. I thought the infected encounters would ruin the game but it actually turns out to be the opposite. Jesus those sounds they make... *shivers*

Can't wait to get this game in May.

Andrew.

Banned
If Joel ends up getting infected and you have to slowly watch him fall apart and then finish him off playing as Ellie a la The Fly...

That'll pretty much equal out to Trico dying in The Last Guardian.

Do. Not. Want.

Seems feasible.

meta4

the humans definitely, E3 footage looked a lot better imo and more interesting.

well, maybe the player isn't good here, but he's just running around, melee or shoot zombies, run away, grab something repeat, there is a lot of crouch running and circling in same area. hard to tell how the level layout is, it's too dark, seems open enough.

Thanks for the impressions! Hope the end product holds well. This seems so different for a AAA budget game I really hope ND nail it.

Wow, uhm... I'm impressed. I thought the infected encounters would ruin the game but it actually turns out to be the opposite. Jesus those sounds they make... *shivers*

Can't wait to get this game in May.

I just listened only to the audio for the first few seconds and closed the tab. WTF with those sounds. I nearly had a god -damn heart attack. This game must be played with the best surround sound system it looks like. Holy shit!

I think Eurogamer mentioned it was just like Uncharted, press square.

Is there a counter button?

I think Eurogamer mentioned it was just like Uncharted, press square.
There are obviously more intricacies though, like grabbing, and fighting off enemies that are holding you. Perhaps there wasn't a chance to try the more complex mechanics without human enemies

Loudninja

Controls
In other aspects, similarities between the two games are easy to draw. L1 raises your gun (or object), while R1 fires (or arc throws). The D-Pad is used to cycle between equipped weapons and items, Square initiates melee strikes, and X is used for vaulting and jumping. The Last of Us adds a few twists; R3 activates your flashlight, and L3 places Joel into a crouched position.
I asked Lead Game Designer Jacob Minkoff whether development on The Last of Us' control scheme used Uncharted 2 as a jumping point, or if the former's mechanics became familiar by sheer happenstance. "Sometimes you find that you try a whole bunch of other solutions to an issue and none of them work as well as the one you've tried in the past," Minkoff replied. "Sure, there are some moments, perhaps like when Joel is vaulting a piece of cover, that might feel similar. But, the cover system is completely different . . . it's not stop-and-pop, right? It's free-flowing, automatically contextualizing to things because this game is much more about stealth and organic environments and creeping . . . Sure, there are going to be comparisons to Uncharted, but I think fundamentally this is a drastically different game."
http://www.psu.com/a018185/The-Last-of-Us-control-scheme-is-an-evolution-of-Uncharted

Cyberia

Just checking what supplies you do have makes you vulnerable to attack as the game doesn’t pause for you to do so. It also doesn’t pause when Joel goes into “listen mode”—a type of detective mode that allows him to briefly see the location of various threats. This sort of addition has become a staple in video games ever since Arkham Asylum, but The Last of Us takes much of the power away by also taking away the visibility once you release the R2 button, adding yet another layer of survival to a game that’s nothing but.

Another good bet: clunking down cash to pre-order The Last of Us. Naughty Dog is onto something special here. It comes just as this generation of consoles comes to a close and could very well end up being the game that defines it. Playing it got my heart-pounding, my eyes teary, and left me counting the days until The Last of Us releases. May cannot come soon enough.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/preview/the-last-of-us/77123

I guess they may not pop up since you are not fighting humans.
I hope they just don't pop up at all, allow for counters without a tacky indicator

Speaking of which, Im not really a fan of the HUD they've gone with to be honest. Would prefer less colour in order to minimise it. Hopefully it disappears when health is not at risk too.

I've known for so long that the game was going to stray way more into survival-horror territory than ND were letting on. It looks like it's going to be a legitimately scary game when squaring off against the Clickers. Man, I can't wait. This year has started so well for games and it's only going to get better.

Here are three screen-caps (which you can probably pass off as official screenshots) I took from the download version of the 2-minute gameplay (which is 1.7 gigs—2 minutes is 1.7 gigs!):

tlou_02-04_001dtkz3.jpg

And if you're looking for the highest-res and untouched versions (no watermarks) of today's media, I've got all 16 screenshots and 12 artworks here. They're really quite the beaut.

"Put new batteries in your flashlight" Oh boy, lol.

Great screenshots. Thanks.

jett

D-Member
The only thing I don't like is the constant pop-ups of button prompts. I mean, really, "triangle to shiv"? Unless this was a tutorial section or something.

Hakai

It's shaping up as a great game!! A pretty intense survival experience.

The only thing that boggled me was the graphics, something is not working fine for me, I don't know if it is the Naughty Dog's exagerated blur or what, but I used to think this game was gorgeous, but right now, its kind "meh, OK!"

-BLITZ-

Is still shame that you cannot play it on PC. What could I do with the keyboard and mouse on this game combat/combos only by looking from this last short gameplay ... Eh, Playstation 3 isn't coming any sooner to me :(

Cyberia

That’s probably why, even though I knew going in what it was, I was still surprised by how The Last of Us really is a survival-horror game. Lately, the genre has looked in genuine danger of dying out in AAA, with Dead Space 3‘s survival-horror elements being completely neutered, and genre-grandfather Resident Evil just pretty much abandoning it entirely with Resident Evil 6. Given that is uses the same engine, I expected TLOU to be Uncharted in the apocalypse. Instead, it’s a genuinely creepy experience that managed to actually piss me off, thanks to its challenging (to me, anyway) difficulty.

Certainly not the first time i'm reading this. Good to hear.

Another nice touch, and something else from Uncharted used to perfection, is the way environments reflect the game’s “reality.” The buildings of Boston are in a protracted state of decay, collapsing, sliding off their foundations, or just gradually falling apart from erosion. In-game physics and the placement of the camera ram home the fact that you’re on sloped or just unsteady ground. Lighting is naturalistic. Sounds feel authentic too, with dank, wet echos, hollow acoustics or just the eerie quiet of an abandoned metropolis. It’s stirring stuff.

The game makes you feel like you’re actually exploring a nearly forgotten part of the country. The Last of Us isn’t open-world by any stretch, but as you climb through the wreckage of a once-great city, the routes you take feel organic, the logical outcome of a desperate search rather than simply being boxed into a set route. (Even if, you know, it’s a game that wants you to go in a certain direction.)

It’s also difficult. That’s partly thanks to the fact that we were dumped in a little bit past the beginning, but I’m forced to assume that even with a few tutorial levels, you’ll still have to take things very slowly to avoid being killed constantly. I spent 10 minutes stuck on a particularly horrible section getting killed because I was detected by a random clicker, who murdered me effortlessly over and over. This moment really emphasized how much the game forces the player to think tactically. Despite some crafting, this isn’t going to be Dead Space 3′s fake horror run-and-gun.

Of course, we only saw a short snippet, but what we saw makes me hopeful that Naughty Dog’s new franchise plans to go big, regardless of how soon we’re getting Playstation 4. It’s a fitting sendoff to the longest generation in gaming history, but more importantly, it’s a big middle finger to the idea that the only way to sell a game is to make it exactly like every other game. Here’s hoping the risk pays off.

http://www.gamefront.com/generation-7-ends-on-a-high-note-the-last-of-us-hands-on/2/

EGM1966

Graphics look fine to me - for a PS3 game running on what I would presume is an adapted codebase of engine under Uncharted. Not really sure what people were expecting - next gen graphics on current gen console?

In motion in looks fluid and the lighting seems to be the main area they've worked (plus oviously expanding melee and adding the crafting, etc. element).

Very pleased they've taken the route they have with gameplay - its about time a big title actually took some risks instead of being another checkbox exercise in appealing to the masses with more of the same.

If they pull this off right this'll be the new survival horror king for me.

On a side note I'd love to see a Silent Hill game in the mold of number 2 on this engine.

PnCIa

Hey this looks great and quite "horror-ish" :)
Graphics look good for consoles...it feels like people expect PC-level graphics simply because Naughty Dog is developing this. Not gonna happen.

It's shaping up as a great game!! A pretty intense survival experience.

The only thing that boggled me was the graphics, something is not working fine for me, I don't know if it is the Naughty Dog's exagerated blur or what, but I used to think this game was gorgeous, but right now, its kind "meh, OK!"
There is something off about the blurring. It looks more like a smear of lower quality assets than an actual blur

Lighting, texturing and things like blur seem to have a taken a real hit.

EGM1966

no HUD option would be great, like Riddick where there's no button prompts during combat.

ib0lUGmSzXT5El.gif

Yeah I'd prefer that - hopefully you can disable it or it only applies in East mode. I hate on-screen prompts for actions you're going to learn and repeat constantly.

But for those that did which kind of encounters do you prefer - the human encounters or the infected encounters? Which ones do you want more of in the game? Also do they require drastically different tactics?

I wonder how much they will balance these two. I think the infected stuff will be a lot more sporadic.

to me, the human footage seemed incredible intense and chaotic(in a good way)

the infected footage seems super tense and gives a feeling of uneasiness

I think I prefer them both in completely different ways

Top Bottom