• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 : REMASTERED |OT| If somehow a tenner gave me a second chance at that moment... I would do it all over again

xrnzaaas

HWRmu6F.jpg
Yikes.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finally started playing this and man, I was right to worry when I said ND are not as good game designers as SSM, and that they wouldnt be able to make this as fun as Valhalla.

THis is still fun. It's still well designed, until its not. There are just way too many issues here where it almost feels like they didnt even playtest this thing. Or they clearly dont understand the rougelite genre. These things are supposed to be a power fantasy. You start off weak and by the end you are god and then you rape the boss. Thats basically what valhalla is, what hades was, and what returnal ended up becoming after you unlocked all the upgrades. No return doesnt have any upgrades that are permenant, and the game is brutally difficulty through out each run.

Which would be fine if there werent so many one hit deaths. A mode like rougelite needs to be balanced accordingly. You cant have one hit kills from clickers, grenades, and your own fucking trap mines. It's just inexcusable. And you have to have revives. Every game i listed above lets you revive like 3 times. They know how frustrating it could be to lose 45 minutes of progress over a dumb mistake.

Then there are the perks. They have cool stuff like headshots slow down time but you can create builds around it because its random per encounter instead of last the whole run like valhalla and hades perks. it also lasts like half a second so you literally cant even move your crosshair to the person next to the guy you headshot. its utterly pointless. And thats just the good ones. the bad ones are horrific, stupid filters that completely change the colors on the screen so you cant see shit. who decided this was a good idea?

several modes are broken. hunted is fun if you are fending off a horde of unlimited enemies for a minute and a half, but 3 minutes? completely breaks because this is a game where you have to manage ammo. this aint god of war where you dont run out of an axe. Oh and holdout is broken because they charge your NPC friend who cant fend them off for shit. i lose it every round.

Lastly, not giving joel and tommy the ability to dodge is peak retard. These guys just dont get it. The game's enemies and encounters are designed around dodge and the game simply doesnt work well without it. I have yet to beat a boss with these guys because if you get put in a round with the infected you are pretty much fucked.

There is so much to like here, but its buried under so many amatuer design decisions that i just cant get over. Ive been playing valhalla every day for the past 3 months and they added so many new things to ensure the combat works well within the mode. ND did the complete opposite. they took away things and made other things worse.

Finally started playing this and man, I was right to worry when I said ND are not as good game designers as SSM, and that they wouldnt be able to make this as fun as Valhalla.

THis is still fun. It's still well designed, until its not. There are just way too many issues here where it almost feels like they didnt even playtest this thing. Or they clearly dont understand the rougelite genre. These things are supposed to be a power fantasy. You start off weak and by the end you are god and then you rape the boss. Thats basically what valhalla is, what hades was, and what returnal ended up becoming after you unlocked all the upgrades. No return doesnt have any upgrades that are permenant, and the game is brutally difficulty through out each run.

Which would be fine if there werent so many one hit deaths. A mode like rougelite needs to be balanced accordingly. You cant have one hit kills from clickers, grenades, and your own fucking trap mines. It's just inexcusable. And you have to have revives. Every game i listed above lets you revive like 3 times. They know how frustrating it could be to lose 45 minutes of progress over a dumb mistake.

Then there are the perks. They have cool stuff like headshots slow down time but you can create builds around it because its random per encounter instead of last the whole run like valhalla and hades perks. it also lasts like half a second so you literally cant even move your crosshair to the person next to the guy you headshot. its utterly pointless. And thats just the good ones. the bad ones are horrific, stupid filters that completely change the colors on the screen so you cant see shit. who decided this was a good idea?

several modes are broken. hunted is fun if you are fending off a horde of unlimited enemies for a minute and a half, but 3 minutes? completely breaks because this is a game where you have to manage ammo. this aint god of war where you dont run out of an axe. Oh and holdout is broken because they charge your NPC friend who cant fend them off for shit. i lose it every round.

Lastly, not giving joel and tommy the ability to dodge is peak retard. These guys just dont get it. The game's enemies and encounters are designed around dodge and the game simply doesnt work well without it. I have yet to beat a boss with these guys because if you get put in a round with the infected you are pretty much fucked.

There is so much to like here, but its buried under so many amatuer design decisions that i just cant get over. Ive been playing valhalla every day for the past 3 months and they added so many new things to ensure the combat works well within the mode. ND did the complete opposite. they took away things and made other things worse.
Yeah similar feelings about no return rn - no dodge on Joel? Fuckin weird choice. It’s just not holding my attention all that much - and it feels like the areas are kinda random and don’t match with each mode

Vick

To me this all reads once again, just like Forbidden West, like a huge skill issue. No offence man.

Managed to beat at least two Grounded runs, one daily.. countless wins with Tommy and Joel at Hard. You say Holdout is broken when it's my favorite mode, not a single issue with my NPC ally and I did an awful lot of them.

It's all perfectly doable if you to take your time, display quick thinking and adaptability, and spare ammos and resources for when they're truly needed (aka boss and desperate situations only). This is survival 101.. Having revives would completely kill this mode entirely, keep that pussy shit out of here.

It's hard, no shit, but you get used to it all, mechanics, enemies, modes and maps, and it's all always fair, fun and exciting.

There two points I would agree with, one it's the filter chance, but then again you can disable that, and second they should have made enemies attacks different when using Joel/Tommy.
But as for the rest can't really agree as No Return has been an amazing experience for me. Old school no bullshit survival.
Stick to it, stop being a whiny pussy and you'll get around and agree with me.

Otherwise there's nothing wrong for once in saying something is simply not for you, no need to go berserk on perfectly functional things others enjoy as they are.

These things are supposed to be a power fantasy.

No, they're absolutely not.

Bartski

Gold Member

Not sure why you expected a roguelite game made of TLOU2 assets, rather than a rouglite mode for what Part 2 is at its core. No it's not about a "power fantasy" akin to GoW. One-hit deaths is the whole point, only the boss in this mode has a health bar. And if you die to your own trap mines man ... that is inexcusably on you.
I do agree, positive perks don't add much, maybe except low enemy health. It's all about managing the negatives.
That's utter BS, neither are broken you're just getting filtered. Hunted against human is the hardest thing on grounded, it's not about killing all the spawns, just out-maneuvering them. Also not sure if you noticed, infected move way slower in holdout than other modes and your task is to protect the ally, who they prioritize attacking.
Have you tried not getting hit? :d They both require making shivs against grabs and just playing well and thinking about positioning differently. But I do feel they're a huge missed opportunity, should be way tankier and yes should have a dodge, just slower and less reliable one. Sadly they're both Abby reskins, not a hard guess why.

Vick

You say Holdout is broken when it's my favorite mode, not a single issue with my NPC ally and I did an awful lot of them.
Well scrap that, since I play in another language names for these modes are different and I mistook Holdout for Capture. Sorry.
Holdout isn't really my favorite mode, but it's definitely not broken nonetheless and quite alot of fun, just as Bartski Bartski says designed around the concept of you protecting the ally.

If there's one complaint I truly have Is the absence of Owen in the character selection.
I mean we play as Mel for fuck sake, such a boring character design simply playing as her is unintentionally funny. I get it, she's a medic and a more present NPC in the campaign, and Owen would't have offered something much different than Manny.. but at this point give me Owen over him.

Would have just really liked playing as Owen as he's my favorite new character in Part II.. and the more I think about it the more it feels insane he's not playable.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

To me this all reads once again, just like Forbidden West, like a huge skill issue. No offence man.
lol Skill? I have beaten almost every ND game on crushing. This has nothing to do with skill. i have listed in great detail actual design issues. If they want to disable revive, they couldve made it a grounded difficulty thing. Again, every rougelite game ive played has up to 3 so this is just bizarre.

And im not going through horizon with you. ive posted that youtube video of my experience multiple times here and two years later i still get random comments literally saying the same thing. got a comment literally today. people really truly fucking dislike the combat in that game.
Managed to beat at least two Grounded runs, one daily.. countless wins with Tommy and Joel at Hard. You say Holdout is broken when it's my favorite mode, not a single issue with my NPC ally and I did an awful lot of them.

Just played a holdout mode that wasnt in a black and white crushed filter and it was actually fun. I had a blast because one i could actually see stuff and two i was playing as Joel who has a one hit revolver. See? Was it skill or maybe it was the fact that the revolver is designed around the enemy encounter in this game?
It's all perfectly doable if you to take your time, display quick thinking and adaptability, and spare ammos and resources for when they're truly needed (aka boss and desperate situations only). This is survival 101.. Having revives would completely kill this mode entirely, keep that pussy shit out of here.

You CANNOT take your time in most of these modes especially hunted. Come on. The hunted modes typically take place in smaller arenas where it is impossible to take your time. You cant even heal in that mode.

I literally just died to the final boss in the garage because the game decided to have ten dudes chase me while the boss threw things at me. i got stun locked and fucked in seconds.

No, they're absolutely not.
you probably dont play these much then. I was flat out addicted to games like Hades, Returnal and more recently Valhalla with hundreds of runs in each game, and by the time you get to the final boss, you are a killing machine. its the journey in these games thats tough. not the final boss. I dont want to post videos of my runs showing me killing final bosses in under a minute because it would just be gloating. Point is, you are supposed to come up with a build using their randomized loot and perk drops which is completely lacking in this game because you dont retain any of the perks aside from the upgrades.
Not sure why you expected a roguelite game made of TLOU2 assets, rather than a rouglite mode for what Part 2 is at its core. No it's not about a "power fantasy" akin to GoW. One-hit deaths is the whole point, only the boss in this mode has a health bar. And if you die to your own trap mines man ... that is inexcusably on you.
because thats what this is. Just not as well designed as valhalla and other games.
That's utter BS, neither are broken you're just getting filtered. Hunted against human is the hardest thing on grounded, it's not about killing all the spawns, just out-maneuvering them. Also not sure if you noticed, infected move way slower in holdout than other modes and your task is to protect the ally, who they prioritize attacking.
See above. i had a good experience playing holdout just now because the filters did not ruin it for the first time. However, my latest run was ruined by a crushed black filter right before the final boss which made me expend all the ammo leading to a quick death at the boss.

i didnt know i could turn them off. lets hope it doesnt disable trophies and other bonuses.

P.S Trip mines dont kill you unless an enemy trips them. in my case it was a fucking stalker who snuck up on me as i was putting it down. in two other runs, enemies threw grenades off screen but there was no grenade indicator like in uncharted and i died immediately. these are things that happen in most games and its just part of playing games since they are simulations where anything can happen at any point. but in rougelite games, a dev has to realize that you can instantly lose 45 minutes of progress due to a cheap death which is why they all have respawns.

My favorite bullshit death has to be when i specifically chose ellie because she can survive a lethal attack only for her to die a second after surviving a killing blow because the bloater left a trail of green goo behind him which killed her immediately since they spawn you back with little to no health. this is just so amateurish its funny. a little more thought shouldve been put into the design of this mode.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Well scrap that, since I play in another language names for these modes are different and I mistook Holdout for Capture. Sorry.
Holdout isn't really my favorite mode, but it's definitely not broken nonetheless and quite alot of fun, just as Bartski Bartski says designed around the concept of you protecting the ally.

If there's one complaint I truly have Is the absence of Owen in the character selection.
I mean we play as Mel for fuck sake, such a boring character design simply playing as her is unintentionally funny. I get it, she's a medic and a more present NPC in the campaign, and Owen would't have offered something much different than Manny.. but at this point give me Owen over him.

Would have just really liked playing as Owen as he's my favorite new character in Part II.. and the more I think about it the more it feels insane he's not playable.
I cant believe owen is not in either, but it makes sense because he never joins you in the field like Mel, Manny, Lev and Yara do. So they didnt have animations for him.

I refused to play as Mel and Manny. Fuck em. Incredibly unlikeable characters. at least owen had some redeeming qualities.

I think having Mel join you and provide you healing a la Mercy wouldve been great. Having other characters join you more regularly with their own perks like rescuing you from grabs or using bomb arrows wouldve been so much fun. Hades has the giant dog show up in the final boss fight as well as other characters. it just adds that extra fun element to these games that are otherwise brutally hard which is why it feels so rewarding when they do throw you some crumbs.

Vick

lol Skill? I have beaten almost every ND game on crushing. This has nothing to do with skill. i have listed in great detail actual design issues.
You listed things you dislike for very personal reasons though, not a single "actual design issue".

If they want to disable revive, they couldve made it a grounded difficulty thing.
Or not.
You can always select Very Light and start from there if you want a quicker more accessible experience. And that's not a patronizing shit that I'm saying, literally start from easier difficulties, get used to the game, study the maps properly and then get to the actual challenge.

And im not going through horizon with you. ive posted that youtube video of my experience multiple times here and two years later i still get random comments literally saying the same thing. got a comment literally today. people really truly fucking dislike the combat in that game.
Dude come on, I've seen so many damn posts from you complaining about that 1 damage on armor parts with regular arrows, while bitching at the same time about the amount of options/tools at your disposal.. like no shit dude, you're supposed to get rid of the armor first.. by using those tools you complained about.

Or bitching enemies being faster and more aggressive.. all things they made on purpose to induce players to use the all the tools introduced (which I still didn't use and breezed through almost everything with regular bow while having no fucking reticle on screen and on Ultra Hard).

But what actually bothered me the most about your Forbidden West complains however was you saying they should get rid of the swimming and underwater sections in the next game because nobody likes that shit.. when swimming and underwater were my favorite parts in that game and something I loved every second of.

Just played a holdout mode that wasnt in a black and white crushed filter and it was actually fun. I had a blast because one i could actually see stuff and two i was playing as Joel who has a one hit revolver. See? Was it skill or maybe it was the fact that the revolver is designed around the enemy encounter in this game?
See? Play more and more and your opinion will likely change over and over again.

You CANNOT take your time in most of these modes especially hunted. Come on. The hunted modes typically take place in smaller arenas where it is impossible to take your time. You cant even heal in that mode.
But there's choice given to you so if you don't want to do Hunted simpy.. don't.

That's why you should take your time in the other modes, always leave one fucker alive and collect every single resource in the map, resources you'll then use to survive in those frenetic Hunted encounters.. if you want to do them in the first place.

I literally just died to the final boss in the garage because the game decided to have ten dudes chase me while the boss threw things at me. i got stun locked and fucked in seconds.
That Boss battle is amazing, my favorite and first I completed with Joel. It's a constant shoot and run.. amazing and exhilarating.

Would have a tenth at best of the impact and adrenaline provided with the stupid revives.

you probably dont play these much then. I was flat out addicted to games like Hades, Returnal and more recently Valhalla with hundreds of runs in each game, and by the time you get to the final boss, you are a killing machine. its the journey in these games thats tough. not the final boss. I dont want to post videos of my runs showing me killing final bosses in under a minute because it would just be gloating. Point is, you are supposed to come up with a build using their randomized loot and perk drops which is completely lacking in this game because you dont retain any of the perks aside from the upgrades.

because thats what this is. Just not as well designed as valhalla and other games.
No, it's what it is because it's a survival experience, unlike Valhalla and other games.

i didnt know i could turn them off. lets hope it doesnt disable trophies and other bonuses.
Yeah No Return makes you do whatever the fuck you want basically, you can customize everything and tailor the whole experience around what you like.
Take a look at that ridiculous Combat Accessibily section as well.

I cant believe owen is not in either, but it makes sense because he never joins you in the field like Mel, Manny, Lev and Yara do. So they didnt have animations for him.
Yeah I guess.. well just give him Manny's then.

Bartski

Gold Member
I refused to play as Mel and Manny. Fuck em.
Manny is crazy good and the only character I ever beat a run on grounded without any accessibility cheats. Mainly due to ammo crafting, if you browse for those world record high scores (11-12k+) it's either him or Jessie.

I'm way too casual for grounded, for me it's just too difficult. But I love to watch videos from dudes who made playing this game their full-time job:

gamer82

finally getting roud to playing this after holding off for a p5 version, well after the demise of joel i so wanted to hate on abby. now after playing through her part , so far just got out of that village with the kid . im so unsure how i feel about whats to come. Realy enjoying it so far. will i get round to playing no return not sure im more into single player story but may give it a bash when i have nothign else left to play through. back log of games never ends lol need to stop adding stuff :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Pelta88

“Survival expert” trophy glitched at 48/50. Got an abundance of supplements but can’t get the trophy to unlock. Any advice?

SlimySnake

Manny is crazy good and the only character I ever beat a run on grounded without any accessibility cheats. Mainly due to ammo crafting, if you browse for those world record high scores (11-12k+) it's either him or Jessie.

I'm way too casual for grounded, for me it's just too difficult. But I love to watch videos from dudes who made playing this game their full-time job:

I will suffer through playing as yara and lev then. I love the revolver I get with Joel... its a headshot machine, but lack of dodge results in way too many deaths in the final two rounds when the difficulty spikes up.

Vick Vick how do you disable filters? I couldn’t find the option to do it.

Vick

I will suffer through playing as yara and lev then. I love the revolver I get with Joel... its a headshot machine, but lack of dodge results in way too many deaths in the final two rounds when the difficulty spikes up.
Yeah you will likely love playing as Manny.. another reason why I wish so bad it was Owen instead.

Vick Vick how do you disable filters? I couldn’t find the option to do it.
You can do it in Custom Run by chosing what Mods you want to allow, if any.

SlimySnake

Yeah you will likely love playing as Manny.. another reason why I wish so bad it was Owen instead.

You can do it in Custom Run by chosing what Mods you want to allow, if any.
eh i dont want to do custom runs. thats cheating.

SlimySnake

Here are some of my hilarious insta deaths. Trust me when i say there are way more than this but i typically rage quit and turn off the ps5 before i could record them. literally every single run of mine ends up as these one hit deaths. doesnt matter how decked out i am. i make one wrong turn or do one wrong thing and its game over. especially right now because im unfamiliar with the layouts and end up in dead ends, get cornered, grabbed and killed in seconds.

I keep going back to it because the combat is fucking sublime and id rather play this than any other gaas trash jimbo wants me to play, but it is incredibly frustrating to lose just because you made the wrong turn or couldnt dodge or got grabbed at the wrong time.

The Lev one really hurt because i ended up loving his arrow only playstyle and had fully upgraded rifles and max ammo SMGs saved us for the final boss and didnt even get to use them.

Vick

eh i dont want to do custom runs. thats cheating.
Feels like it but they just give you control over the randomized aspects of the run, had to necessarily use those for the Modded Trophy.

especially only right now because im unfamiliar with the layouts and end up in dead ends, get cornered, grabbed and killed in seconds.
Fixed.
Get more familiar with it and you'll be untouchable trust me.. except for Grounded of course.

Almost same difference between first and late runs as a PSX/GameCube Resident Evil.

wtf is this sheit dude
Concepts for the 80's Bonus Costume. They chose the last but one and it's actually by far the best look for that character.
Smaller arms and lipstick, looks like an actual female in the game while using that skin.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

OMG. it happened again. I was having a blast with Yara and Lev teaming up to fuck shit up, but the game pulled a mystery encounter on me at stage 5 right before the boss which turned out to be Hunted with infected in that tiny area where you fight off the infected with Abby while yara and lev try to open the ambulance. Of course i died within seconds as the swarmed me and Lev decided to go MIA while his sister got gangbanged by zombies.

No Return Grounded no cheats with Jessie done! I have it on video but played the boss so bad I’m embarrassed to upload it. I’ll keep trying to get a good one!
lol it cant be any worse than my runs. Just upload it. In rougelikes, the runs where everything goes wrong are the best ones.

Vick

Canadian Lol GIF

What a miserable luck with that misterious encounter.
I can feel the panic from here with that turned off flashlight and total absence of dodges LMAO.

And man I know it's super easy to mock and give suggestions after the fact, but what on God's earth were you even trying to do there?
Dodge your fucking ass out of there immediately, actually go for the window just as soon as freed from the stalker grab and then shoot and run, shoot and run, shoot and ru..

SlimySnake

Canadian Lol GIF

What a miserable luck with that misterious encounter.
I can feel the panic from here with that turned off flashlight and total absence of dodges LMAO.

And man I know it's super easy to mock and give suggestions after the fact, but what on God's earth were you even trying to do there?
Dodge your fucking ass out of there immediately, actually go for the window just as soon as freed from the stalker grab and then shoot and run, shoot and run, shoot and ru..
Nah, i tried dodging but they stunlocked me. My only mistake was missing that first shot on the stalker and using a rifle instead of a shotty.

Vick

Nah, i tried dodging but they stunlocked me. My only mistake was missing that first shot on the stalker and using a rifle instead of a shotty.
Wanted to upload my first Garage Boss with Joel because at one point it relates to your post, but it's exceeding Streamable free limit of 250 MB..

Since I'm totally out of storage on the PS5 I don't have much to share in general, but here's my first success with Abby where the only damage is due to the pickaxe attack taking forever:

Here a decently cool moment with Tommy's OP rifle:

And here what a Grounded Permadeath run did to my aim:

GooseMan69

Trap mines are your best friend for those Hunted encounters. Find a decent spot to camp and you can buy yourself some time before shit starts to get dicey.

Manny is indeed a beast in No Return. His starting weapons are ace. Only character I was able to complete a Grounded run with.

SlimySnake

Trap mines are your best friend for those Hunted encounters. Find a decent spot to camp and you can buy yourself some time before shit starts to get dicey.

Manny is indeed a beast in No Return. His starting weapons are ace. Only character I was able to complete a Grounded run with.
I died at the final encounter at the theater while placing a trip mine which was tripped by a stalker sneaking up behind me so i have not used one since.

Wanted to upload my first Garage Boss with Joel because at one point it relates to your post, but it's exceeding Streamable free limit of 250 MB..

Since I'm totally out of storage on the PS5 I don't have much to share in general, but here's my first success with Abby where the only damage is due to the pickaxe attack taking forever:

Here a decently cool moment with Tommy's OP rifle:

And here what a Grounded Permadeath run did to my aim:

Yeah, ive beaten my last four runs. I still think its too random and thats ok. The game has all these different systems and mechanics and thats what ive always loved about the series. However, my only issue is that in no return, there shouldve been some kind of revive system to account for the randomness. especially in a game with one hit deaths.

I have figured out that bosses trigger enemy spawns at certain health thresholds so me emptying all my ammo, explosives, motolovs into them to get them down to 10-20 health at the start of the round was making things harder as it would then spawn everyone at the same time. ive since beaten the garage boss three times and as long as i wait to see who spawns before continuing to damage him, i make it out ok.

Bartski

Gold Member
Did it again - pure grounded with Jessie. Wheezing, internal dialogue and additional guttural sound effects by yours truly. Almost killed by rat king side bitch and panic.
Best clutch moments in e1 and e2 didn't make it into the capture 'cause ignoring the safe in e4 to pick map clean took forever. Worth it.

King Dazzar

The audio fidelity of this game is insane. It’s not overly complex but at the same time, really immersive.

Almost deceptively at times.
The explosion right at the start of Part 1 in the house with the news airing on the TV is brilliant. It adds a rattle on the walls of the bedroom when it happens. Both parts have some great bits of audio at times for sure.

Pelta88

The explosion right at the start of Part 1 in the house with the news airing on the TV is brilliant. It adds a rattle on the walls of the bedroom when it happens. Both parts have some great bits of audio at times for sure.

No Return ups the anti on audio fidelity too.

HighPoly

Banned
Is it possible to make another graphical jump on next The Last of US ?

I mean, Last of Us 1 to Last of Us 2 got amazing evolution!

Top Bottom