• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "The Last of Us" Trailer

I hear this game have Max Payne 3 bullet time, Batman AC combo mechanics AND Resident Evil tank gunfights.

But honestly, I just hope the tension (of a sudden encounter or event) comes in actual gameplay, not on setpieces or cutscenes.

Loudninja

that sure as hell sounds like Uncharted in M rated skin.... the presentation might be different, but the gameplay sounds exactly the same.

well there's health bar, and ammo will still be scarce so hopefully that bring a new dynamic to the gameplay..
1.1 bullet kills
2.less ammo
3.Applying health packs
4.Stealth plays a much bigger role
5.The heavy use of melee weapons
6.Able to break the line of sight

None of that is like UC, sure you could use melee weapons in UC3 but not at will.

I won't whine because it won't be an open world game, but I do wish they make big areas to explore.
Its going to be less linear than Uncharted.

Feindflug

The gameplay you haven't actually seen?

The same can be said for all the people in this thread drooling over a cut-scene declaring the game without seeing gameplay game of the year, OMFG! it will be so amazing e.t.c.

I understand (and totally agree) that the concept looks very interesting and there's a talented team behind the game but a lot of people here are overreacting
IMO considering we haven't seen the game in action yet.

Loudninja

Wooha..

this and UC2 team = I am super hyped right now.
Yep it sounds awesome, they also said they wanted the layouts to big enough so can break the line up sight.

UC had nothing like this when you were seen that was it, UC didn't have a crouch button either.

Endo Punk

Yes, you hear that arne? Make sure CepPyBoy is happy. Him and no one else.

I am glad you agree :) Thank you. ND needs to separate TLoU fron Uncharted as much as they can, having a 'me too' game in the same company is pointless. ND have never wronged me yet so Im not worried.

GI had some videos explaining the combat and audio back in February

Risk And Consequence: Combat In The Last Of Us
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...and-consequence-combat-in-the-last-of-us.aspx

Why Audio Matters In The Last Of Us
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/02/15/why-audio-matters-in-the-last-of-us.aspx

There was some intresting infos on those links thanks for sharing them ...

BUt it make the way even harder...

I'm intrested in their ambiant audio work ..if they manage to integrate that into the gameplay properly , then that would be just "AWESOME"

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
looked amazing.

I don't get the doubts of some people, though.

Crash 1-3 + CTR
Jak 1-3 + JCR
Uncharted 1-3 - Unkarted(believe)

I think, after all of those quality games released consistently over the past 15 years, they've earned quite a bit of leeway for me. There are other developers with less of a stellar track record that get more people spouting "Day -1!"

I have faith that ND is going to deliver another excellent gaming experience. After all, they are now 4 games into PS3 development right now. They've made that thing their bitch at this point.

newjeruse

Greg Miller: jackass
Totilo: blowhard

But I'll trust this guy every day of the week:
Jeff Gerstmann ‏@jeffgerstmann

Got to watch a quick demo of The Last of Us yesterday that looks outstanding. Definitely one of the coolest things I've seen in awhile.

Loudninja

When was this confirmed?

-The AI and game dynamicamic is explained a bit more. They want it to be like No Country For Old Men, so a single bullet will kill, but you have very few bullets to give it a "realistic" feel to the setting. The AI also uses a "balance of power" system, where they will stay in cover and try to flank you if you have a gun, but if they see you only have a melee weapon, they will rush you and try to overwhelm you with numbers. They also react based on other events that are happening. They get angry when their friends die, they warn each other when in danger, and they get frightened when they've lost the upper hand. Also, during combat you can do things like hitting people with a heavy object such as a thrown brick, which will stun them for a bit and let you get some melee hits in with something like a wood plank. This can also happen between the two characters, with Ellie throwing the brick to let Joel move in with the plank.

-The game has health packs and it takes time to use them, so the added lethality of your weapons goes both ways. This is to encourage you to avoid direction confrontation as much as possibe
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461993

TheDanger

Banned
I don't want to get a PS3 so late this gen, but I would really like to play this. Well Uncharted would be another reason to get one although I do not like the controller at all. And I still don't have a Blu-ray player so I might get one.

I don't want to get a PS3 so late this gen, but I would really like to play this. Well Uncharted would be another reason to get one although I do not like the controller at all. And I still don't have a Blu-ray player so I might get one.

Infamous 1/2, GoW 3, KZ 2, Yakuza 3 & 4 would be some other reasons, though it depends on what kinda games you like.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
ShackNews
Ever since its reveal, The Last of Us has been shrouded in some mystery. While the developers have talked up many of the game's ambitious goals, little is known about how it actually plays. Finally seeing the game in action, it's easy to sum up Naughty Dog's latest as such: Uncharted in hardcore mode.

[...]
For better or for worse, the similarities don't just stop there. While the tone is very different, The Last of Us is yet another cover-based third-person shooter.

Loudninja

False.

Edit:quote the whole thing
For better or for worse, the similarities don't just stop there. While the tone is very different, The Last of Us is yet another cover-based third-person shooter. The aiming and cover mechanics should be more-than-familiar for anyone that's played one of Naughty Dog's recent games. However, there are key differences that will make you approach the gameplay differently. Ammo is very scarce, for example. At the start of the demo, Joel has four bullets in his gun--and won't really get much more at any given time. Encounters are a lot more deadly, as well. There's no regenerative health. Enemies go down in one or two bullets--meaning each bullet becomes a lot more valuable.
More so than in the Uncharted games, the environment feels like a character of its own. Unsurprisingly, The Last of Us is a beautiful game, and the lush overgrowth makes it one of the most technically impressive efforts on the PS3 ever. Walking through the ruins of Pittsburgh, the environment tells its own story. Stores that have been looted ages ago have long-dead bodies strewn about. What happened here? These carefully constructed sets invite players to simply look around and absorb.

So excited for this game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, there's a confirmation of 1-bullet kills in Shacknews article. This is a promising sounding quote too:

More so than in the Uncharted games, the environment feels like a character of its own. Unsurprisingly, The Last of Us is a beautiful game, and the lush overgrowth makes it one of the most technically impressive efforts on the PS3 ever. Walking through the ruins of Pittsburgh, the environment tells its own story. Stores that have been looted ages ago have long-dead bodies strewn about. What happened here? These carefully constructed sets invite players to simply look around and absorb.

Could have done without the song but it was a cool trailer.
I have a feeling song possibly won't even be in the cutscene, that it was added to make this be a bit more like a trailer material. Although, I also think the song will be used somewhere in the game, it just seems to fit too well to be wasted.

elcapitan

Sounds like Uncharted...
with four bullets
. I hope the melee is up to snuff. I actually enjoyed the close combat in UC3, but it's pretty simple. I wonder if you can do melee attacks from cover, like Drake's stealth take downs. A plank to the face from behind a corner sounds fun.

Loudninja

Yeah, there's a confirmation of 1-bullet kills in Shacknews article. This is a promising sounding quote too:

I have a feeling song possibly won't even be in the cutscene, that it was added to make this be a bit more like a trailer material. Although, I also think the song will be used somewhere in the game, it just seems to fit too well to be wasted.
I dont think the game will have much music.

It all looked lovely and managed to be gentle and brutal at the same time.

It helps, I think, that the music never soared. It didn't sound like a video game. It was mostly quiet, though an old rock tune played during the opening fight after the crash.
http://kotaku.com/5910930/i-just-saw-the-last-of-us-in-action-and-it-looks-amazing

Xanadu

Banned
Ellie...MMM...
Ele59.jpg

Oh and the trailer was awesome too.

weirdo

Riggs

Banned
Is it just me? Or does the girl from The Last of Us look like Ellen Page?

Wow apparently all of the internet thinks the same thing, just googled haha. But it's confirmed it is not Ellen Page it seems?

UrbanRats

For some reason, i'm not as sold as most of you on the game, i'm not sure why.
The news sound pretty fantastic, but i need to see some gameplay, hopefully they're preparing it for E3.

Loudninja

For some reason, i'm not as sold as most of you on the game, i'm not sure why.
The news sound pretty fantastic, but i need to see some gameplay, hopefully they're preparing it for E3.
They are, people are already seeing it.

Wow apparently all of the internet thinks the same thing, just googled haha. But it's confirmed it is not Ellen Page it seems?
No its not her.

masterkajo

It all looks really fantastic. I can hardly wait even though I am still totally freaked out by the "zombies". Can't look at them. Gonna be a hard playthrough when you have to aim blindly at them with this scarce of ammo. hehe.

Ricky_R

How in the hell are you not a junior with a question like that? ;)

This would be my guess. A more realistic take on the lethal nature of firearms.

shacknews said that enemy goes down in one or two bullets. so probably there are difference between shooting the arm/legs and shooting at body/head. not sure if it will have location based hit animation though. would be nice to shoot leg and enemy fall down.

Loudninja

Even at this early stage, The Last of Us is gorgeous. A city overgrown with vines and weeds is as lush as you'd expect from the makers of Uncharted. They've beefed up the lighting, building on Uncharted's already stellar engine to include more ambient sources and softer lighting, making the world feel richer and more realistic. I saw gorgeous afternoon sunlight shimmer through windows in the ruined town, with just enough light bouncing off the floors to illuminate rooms in a world where electricity is no longer available.

After seeing this, I hope Naughty Dog fans are not expecting anything like Uncharted, as this is completely different. Forget platforming and rock climbing to pretty locales so that you can shoot enemies from a distance. This is violent, close-quarters combat in a tense world where you're forced to creep around to survive. This game may be just as beautiful as Uncharted, but you'll be too busy striving to survive to stop and enjoy the scenery. That said, it's already clear that we can count on more of Naughty Dog's impeccable storytelling and deep characters.

I was already quite excited for Naughty Dog's take on survival action, but after seeing this first gameplay demo, I'm practically vibrating with anticipation. They promise a brand-new look at the game at next month's E3, so stay tuned.
http://www.destructoid.com/first-look-the-last-of-us-227570.phtml#comment

Ricky_R

shacknews said that enemy goes down in one or two bullets. so probably there are difference between shooting the arm/legs and shooting at body/head. not sure if it will have location based hit animation though. would be nice to shoot leg and enemy fall down.

Not only that, but it would be even cooler to have them crawl for safety after getting shot on a leg, leaving blood on the floor. Would also be cool to see them grab their arm if shot there and limiting their attack. Also, to see enemies nearly dead agonizing in pain on the floor after being shot almost fatally and being able to finish them up with a another shot or with melee.

I don't know man. So many things would be cool.

Pranay

I was already quite excited for Naughty Dog's take on survival action, but after seeing this first gameplay demo, I'm practically vibrating with anticipation. They promise a brand-new look at the game at next month's E3, so stay tuned.

Yes

Top Bottom