• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "The Last of Us" Trailer

Guessing these old shots follow up from where teaser ends.
bc3y9arj.jpg

fuqst4ft.jpg

I know ND are taking a very dark tone with this game, I wonder how dark they will go.

Ledsen

Yeah I don't know. I keep comparing it to The Road and thinking how good it could be if it had the same bleak tone and amazing writing. Looks and sounds too Hollywood for my taste. I thought they'd change their style up for this one, but it still reminds me of Uncharted, which isn't at all the feeling this setting should evoke.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I think it will be good just on the fact that it's ND, and I think it will be great because it looks different than other games.

I still think I would be more interested in the game if you played as the girl.

Hopefully they do have a section of the game where you play as her. Would be interesting to see how that would change the combat if your a weaker character who cant fight one on one.

But if I know Naughty Dog there is totally gonna be a stealth section about 3/4th through where you play as her.

All it takes for me to be satisfied with Sony's E3 conference this year is gameplay footage of this riveting looking game and a new trailer for The Last Guardian, complete with conclusive release date.

Anything else is a bonus/boner.

Heh evreytime we get near that discussion odd things happy to these topics lol.

I have a feeling I know what you mean there. And if do...then yeah he should just stop now.

That "true" over the shoulder thing with Joel in one of those images would be hardcore if that ended up being how you had to aim in game. No reticles for you, iron sights only.

Pranay

It's all cat and mouse. Our heroes hide in alleys. They hear enemies calling out positions. Joel finds himself back in the convenience store, trying to figure out where his enemies went. He mutters to himself, about the "pansy-ass piece of shit" he's tracking. The enemy, just a guy in a leather jacket and pants, rushes him with a 2x4. Joel shoots him.

Bruce Straley, the game's director, said that Naughty Dog wants players to feel the same emotions that Ellie and Joel feel as they try to survive in this strange post-apocalypse in the game. He talked about the game as a quest for survival, one that is inflected by a balance of power that causes enemies to adapt to Ellie and Joel's choices of weapons and tactics. Everyone is trying to live, he said.

I still think I would be more interested in the game if you played as the girl.

I agree. It would be so fresh to have the tough, adult male as your companion.

I know ND will have a token section where you play as her but I think it would be a lot more interesting to play as a teen girl who is, for the most part, helpless.

The action in the game is brutal. The enemies seem to be regular people, but they speak from the throat, all death threats and growls. They patrol the streets with guns, two at a time. Joel tosses a brick at one of them and then runs up and whacks him to death with a stick.

It's all cat and mouse. Our heroes hide in alleys. They hear enemies calling out positions. Joel finds himself back in the convenience store, trying to figure out where his enemies went. He mutters to himself, about the "pansy-ass piece of shit" he's tracking. The enemy, just a guy in a leather jacket and pants, rushes him with a 2x4. Joel shoots him.

All abooooard.

Pranay

I agree. It would be so fresh to have the tough, adult male as your companion.

I know ND will have a token section where you play as her but I think it would be a lot more interesting to play as a teen girl who is, for the most part, helpless.

And Also she will have a different perspective

in the last ign article, the point of the trailer how easily Ellie felt for the trick and all

Sounds awesome, but I kinda have to wonder why ND felt the need to go the zombie route rather than something more akin to "The Road" that doesn't have the fantasy/sci-fi element. Just meeting up with random hobo thugs sounds dangerous enough.

And Also she will have a different perspective

in the last ign article, the point of the trailer how easily Ellie felt for the trick and all

Yup, she'd have a more naive/optimistic view of the situations. It would be cool if your in-game character met a bunch of guys who claimed to be good, talked to you, and then the guy came along and pushed you to one side behind him as he ran them off. From her (your) perspective they were just talking to her and trying to survive, but he'd have the knowledge to know they were trying to kill/rape/scavenge etc.

It'd be really complex and beyond what this game is going for, I imagine, but fuck would it be interesting.

It'd only be interesting if they kept a lot of the scenarios like that in-game and playable, though, so you felt her sense of being powerless.

Mikey Jr.

Was wondering one thing about Ellie. Can she be killed? Obviously that would be game over, but I wonder if the player would have to worry about that.

Or would she be an unkillable NPC kinda like the NPC allies in Uncharted.

jett

D-Member
Was wondering one thing about Ellie. Can she be killed? Obviously that would be game over, but I wonder if the player would have to worry about that.

Or would she be an unkillable NPC kinda like the NPC allies in Uncharted.

The people at ND aren't stupid, so the bolded is probably the case with this game.

strafer

She reminds me a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle of Evangeline Lilly now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Don't post spoilers from the article :\ I didn't read the whole walkthrough for a reason.

Yeah I don't know. I keep comparing it to The Road and thinking how good it could be if it had the same bleak tone and amazing writing. Looks and sounds too Hollywood for my taste. I thought they'd change their style up for this one, but it still reminds me of Uncharted, which isn't at all the feeling this setting should evoke.
There's no reason for things to look bleak in the scenario depicted here. There's been no nuclear explosion to cover the sun with the dust, no incoming ice age or anything like that. Sun whould still shine every day and make things as vibrant as they normally should look like. If they made such scenario look bleak it would be just "because", and it wouldn't make any real sense.

Endo Punk

I am guessing it's pretty much confirmed that Joel is possibly a Paedo who is taking advantage of this post apocalypse no law environment by manipulating young girls. First it was the Ellen Page look-alike and now this new one.

Seriously though the new character model of Ellie is a lot bettter now.

SamuraiX-

Been starving for some more info/media from this game.

Still looks as amazing as expected. Absolutely loving Naughty Dog's rendition of a post-apocalyptic world. :D

Top Bottom