• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "The Last of Us" Trailer

untitled-41cz73.gif

Difficult to slow down high action shots, although you can still see the high level of detail.

This is the game I'm most looking forward to seeing at E3.

slider

I'm super intrigued by the Kotaku article. Most of all I'm wondering about the nuance and options/paths open to the player.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Uhh if you're trying to avoid "spoilers" maybe stay out of the threads?
Well I like to participate with posting things like good quality videos etc, like I did. GAF usually has an anti spoiler policy, there's spoiler tag that can be used when posting. For example, I know for sure it's not kosher posting unmarked spoilers in games' official threads, and you'd have people who are interested in a game going there of course.

Thank you very much.

Well nope.avi

Cutscene:
screenshot_269258_thumb_wide620.jpg

Ingame:

avermediacenter20120113.png

Naughty Dog confirmed that since Uncharted 2, they don't add extra lighting or shadows or alter character models for cutscenes compared to ingame. Ingame and cutscenes share the same models and lighting, but still the ingame models don't have the advanced facial movements of the cutscenes. That's the difference.

Holy shit, that smug face. So smug. :)

Duffyside

Banned
Really hope the gameplay looks even half as good as some of these impressions we're hearing, even though I'm not really a fan of survival horror.

arne

Really hope the gameplay looks even half as good as some of these impressions we're hearing, even though I'm not really a fan of survival horror.

It's not survival horror. We've been saying survival action quite a bit, to draw that distinction, even if it sounds a bit like marketing or PR fluff. So - you can still be not a fan of SH. ;)

Endo Punk

Survival action!? Just make sure more survival less action. Let Uncharted be the action title and TLoU about survival and I'll be happy :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's not survival horror. We've been saying survival action quite a bit, to draw that distinction, even if it sounds a bit like marketing or PR fluff. So - you can still be not a fan of SH. ;)

I like the survival more than the horror. Hopefully there will be some element of risk vs. reward, where looting essential items is beneficial, but requires you to go head first into danger. I'm an Uncharted fan but I hope to see something more dynamic this time around :).

Duffyside

Banned

Save your energy for convincing people who aren't going to be there Day 1 regardless, Arne! (Thanks for the clarification).

so.. what are the action we can do? basically the core gameplay, in uncharted it's mostly shooting, melee, and traversal. how about this game. assuming ammo are scarce that leave shooting to be just a small part of the action. seems there will be bigger emphasis on melee, but I hope they change it up from Uncharted 3 melee, it's functional, but I don't think it can carry through the majority of the action gameplay in a game. you can grab bricks and throw them, and you'll be sneaking around trying to avoid combat, then there's the survival element which in my head hoping it to be kinda like MGS3, you have to find food, treat wounds etc. so I've been picturing this game in my head to be somewhat similar to MGS games. mainly a sneaking game with resource gathering survival element. don't know how far off my hope is.

Having been a fan of ND since the Crash days, it's amazing to see how far they've come. I have complete faith they won't disappoint, even though UC3 didn't live up to my expectations (which was probably my own fault for having set them way too high after the brilliance of UC2).

IN NAUGHTY DOG WE TRUST!

Loudninja

The hand-to-hand melee is fierce. Joel picks up one of the attacker’s guns and then picks off rivals while hiding below the counter in an abandoned restaurant. He creeps down aisles and hops over barriers to get the drop on the bad guys.

The pacing of the fighting is slow, and the tension is high as you peer around corners. The action moves from melee to stealth. “Hey fuck face!” Ellie yells as she heaves a brick at the side of a guy’s head. Joel sneaks up on an attacker and strangles him.

As more and more of the bad guys fall, the remaining thugs get nervous and scared. Finally, the last of them panics and Joel becomes the hunter, running him down and killing him in a most brutal fashion
http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/16/the-last-of-us-demo-shows-brutal-dramatic-surivalist-combat/

There's a subtle, rising tension in the scene as Joel moves quietly through the aisles, accompanied by tinny, inappropriately upbeat music bleeding from a nearby radio
. A context-sensitive icon appears near useful objects, or at least the ones that would be effective in a collision against someone's skull. Bricks and wooden planks are all fair game, even if wielded against a surprised opponent from behind.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/16/the-last-of-us-demo-offers-a-first-look-at-naughty-dogs-directi/

Not sure why I bother spoiling that, but whatever.

Having been a fan of ND since the Crash days, it's amazing to see how far they've come. I have complete faith they won't disappoint, even though UC3 didn't live up to my expectations (which was probably my own fault for having set them way too high after the brilliance of UC2).

IN NAUGHTY DOG WE TRUST!

Well this game has the same director as UC2 and not 3 :p

Joystick have good previews and questions that I really want to hear answers from ND
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/16/the-last-of-us-demo-offers-a-first-look-at-naughty-dogs-directi/

"Naughty Dog's demonstration was noticeably directed, and perhaps not truly indicative of how it would appear if you were playing it at home. Much of the excellent presentation comes from the usual Naughty Dog touches – such as the way Joel and Ellie press their hands against an abandoned vehicle when they take cover – but it's unclear how much improvisation the game's combat encounters can support. Will you have to resort to melee ambushes again and again if you fail to scavenge ammo at key points? How do enemies respond to a fumbling player, and what happens when you're outnumbered with only a brick in hand?"

really want to know more about the combat.

Loudninja

Joystick have good previews and questions that I really want to hear answers from ND

"Naughty Dog's demonstration was noticeably directed, and perhaps not truly indicative of how it would appear if you were playing it at home. Much of the excellent presentation comes from the usual Naughty Dog touches – such as the way Joel and Ellie press their hands against an abandoned vehicle when they take cover – but it's unclear how much improvisation the game's combat encounters can support. Will you have to resort to melee ambushes again and again if you fail to scavenge ammo at key points? How do enemies respond to a fumbling player, and what happens when you're outnumbered with only a brick in hand?"

really want to know more about the combat.
Didn't they already explain all of this?

Its the Balance of Power system.

image.php

Smug face is so smug.

Did you guys improve on the AI compared to Uncharted 3?

Didn't they alreayd explain all of this?

Its the Balance of Power system.

balance of power is basically just enemy ai behavior isn't it? I want to know what kind of action Joel can do, like in MGS, snake can do ridiculous amount of action like crouch, crawl, knock on wall for distraction, hanging, shooting, grab etc, all that action combined with level layout and enemy behavior give you large amount of stuff to play with which is what make it so fun to play.

I want to know what actions or gameplay tools are available to Joel to keep the game fun and engaging and not becoming repetitive later in the game. we know Joel can shoot guns although ammo will be rare, he can do melee combat, and throw bricks. what else, I'm hoping that every combat encounter won't always follow the scenario of stealth kill/shoot every enemy in the area before you move on. or if it really come to eliminate all enemy in an area, I hope there's plenty of ways to it rather than ambushing them every time. maybe ability to make traps, or make your selves as target or bait while Ellie knocked the enemies out from behind etc, something that's more interesting than approach enemy from behind and watch stealth kill animation

Can't wait for E3 Arne good stuff with the game trailers so far.

I already know this will be GOTY when it hits. It looks outstanding, and everything they have said about what they are doing in the game is just perfect. I really hope it delivers.

that sure as hell sounds like Uncharted in M rated skin.... the presentation might be different, but the gameplay sounds exactly the same.

well there's health bar, and ammo will still be scarce so hopefully that bring a new dynamic to the gameplay..

Yeah doesn't sound too different I think we need to see it in action though plus maybe a bigger section of gameplay then just one fight.

that sure as hell sounds like Uncharted in M rated skin.... the presentation might be different, but the gameplay sounds exactly the same.

well there's health bar, and ammo will still be scarce so hopefully that bring a new dynamic to the gameplay..

I'd be 100% completely fine with this.

If it isn't too late, please take out the 'mash x' quick time events. I can live with quick time events if you really feel the need, but it is never fun or immersive to have to hammer a button. I know I am not really pushing a knife away so just let me press something once and watch the action, otherwise it is just really, really, annoying.

Luthos

I guess I kinda get people who say "I wish I could play that awesome cutscene". But then again, unless it's pretty heavily scripted, it wouldn't be as impressive anyway.

Also, I definitely prefer the look of the original Ellie.

Alex

It all looks very nice, but have they dropped any real gameplay details yet? I'm hoping it's not super actiony.

nasos_333

I am super hyped for this one, looks like I am Legend movie with a twist and seems more non linear than Uncharted and not based on shooting only

I dont play shooters much, so Uncharted was not my cup of tea, but this one is definatly very exciting, seems slower paced and i guess will require more stealth and thinking than Uncharted

Cool monsters are a huge huge plus too, human enemies bore me to death :)

I am sure will be one of my best games in 2012

Petrichor

Yeah, holding down right trigger for a few seconds multiple times throughout that video would've been amazing

yeah! fuck gameplay. Why let the player do something when they're just going to screw it up?

I maintain that the sequence isn't as effective as a cutscene as it would have been as an in-gameplay scripted event.

Massa

yeah! fuck gameplay. Why let the player do something when they're just going to screw it up?

I maintain that the sequence isn't as effective as a cutscene as it would have been as an in-gameplay scripted event.

The entire point of that sequence is to contextualize the gameplay bit that comes after.

Not really keen on the idea of context sensitive icons popping up for objects. At least add an option to turn the icons off. Would really add to the immersion if you could just pick up any object that is suitable and use it without it being blatantly advertised. This was something that really bugged me in UC3.

Top Bottom