• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 Gameplay

tcrunch

WlsOp3E.gif

(I don't think my PC can even run the game.)

UrbanRats

Oh no! the terrible buzzwords the trigger some gaffers' insanity.
I see no reason to panic, since this already looks more "hardcore" (whatever the fuck that means) than Witcher 2 was, with its cookie cutter combat and shallow rpg elements.

If broader audience means more polish, i'll take it, since W2 was bugged to hell in the second half, for me.

Graphically it looks okay as an open world game but not really amazing when I look at other recently released open world games. I can't quite point it out but that video doesn't look as good as the inital footages.

foxtrot3d

Banned
No! CDPR! You were one of the only AAA-level developers left that produced compelling RPGs. Bethesda and Bioware have betrayed us for the lowest common denominator. Trading deep mechanics and skill builds for mundane choices and simple quests.
I'm sad.

Well, I don't think anything they've said indicates a diminishing with regards to story and compelling quests. Gameplay on the other hand looks like the same generic consolized combat we got in TW2. But, I guess you can't get everything I'll take a great story and compelling quests over deep combat and skill systems anyday.

Ooccoo

I wonder when developers will stop to feed us false advertising about their games.

I'm contemplating not buying it because of the lies out of principle. There was no way the early trailers were nothing else but marketing trailers, i.e. not representative of the product. This creates the illusion of a better quality product and I'm pretty sure this is called false advertising.

Will The Witcher 3 be good? Probably. Did they have to lie and then downgrade? NO. They probably knew it would be impossible to recreate the early gameplay vids in a complete sandbox RPG and chose to ride the hype from E3 and other events.

AngryBaby

Banned
This thread is incredibly bad.

This I'm at a loss lol truly am.

You can also tell there's ALOTTTT of people who haven't played any witcher games commenting. which leads me to believe there's a lot more of a console-only presence on this site than I thought...

Doc-Rivers-Shocked-GIF.gif

sadly, it's no surprise if you followed the games development.
but honestly, I never expected them to carry the quality of witcher 1 and 2 over to an open world game. that would have been a huge effort.

lol dude you literally just saw 14 minutes of gameplay...

That gave a better indication of what may have been "sacrificed" (which didn't look like much). Instead you STILL insist on going off of a line within a quote which is vague and could mean anything?

you guys are trying to pull hairs aren't you

Skelter

Banned
The voice acting is great. Has that Euro-jank feel to it telling us this is going to be a great ERPG.

That is right, I am coining the term "ERPG". European RPG. You know it will be hardcore.

Save us from the overproduced slick "pro" VO of AAA titles

I'm with you man.

Jb

Everything I've read and seen sounds exactly like what I want an open-world Witcher game to be. A world that feels hand crafted and authentic, instead of copy-pasted and bland like a lot of areas of DA I. The writing seems sharp as ever too.

UnrealEck

I never expected TW3's combat and mechanics to be particularly deep or theorycrafty. Nothing like older PC RPGs for example, or MMOs.
I fully expect it to be much like DA:I's level of character depth.

I'm hoping the graphics weren't downgraded for PC too. I don't think there's much need to touch the PC's graphics apart from catering to people whining about their expectations of maxing everything out on their 2-3 year old single-GPU solutions.

Ridesh

Banned
No! CDPR! You were one of the only AAA-level developers left that produced compelling RPGs. Bethesda and Bioware have betrayed us for the lowest common denominator. Trading deep mechanics and skill builds for mundane choices and simple quests.

I'm sad.

xgL4eSV.gif

Sorry, but are you trying to say that The Witcher 2 had deep mechanics and skill builds? lol

I'm sad.

xgL4eSV.gif

TBH from a mechanics standpoint, CDPR never really had deep mechanics and skill builds...

Fonds

Must say I'm not that amazed by the overall impression the video left on me.

The UI looks, well horrible really and the areas shown in the video don't strike me as particularly unique. Just another dreary green/brown "hinterlands" style zone.
The flotsam forests for example looked a lot more handcrafted.

+ Damn trees look like they're having seizures again.

erawsd

TBH from a mechanics standpoint, CDPR never really had deep mechanics and skill builds...

Yeah, I love the series but its never really been mechanically deep. Alchemy system in W1 is about the only thing I can think of and they tossed that out in W2.

RedSwirl

Geralt's running animation looks fine. You're not going to get Nathan Drake's quality of animation in an open-world RPG.

Loakum

Banned
If folks don't like to pre order games, that's cool. It's their money. What I don't get is all the bashing of folks who chose to pre order games? I really don't get it? The game will cost the same on release day. If you're someone who likes collector's editions, the only way to guarantee getting one (at retail price) is to pre order. sorry for slightly veering off topic, but I feel this needed to be said.

Going to feel lonely out there after fighting with 3 others in my group in DA:I.

Started TW2 for the first time after wrapping 200 hours of Inquisition and, as much as I love the latter, the solitude and silence of Geralt is a welcome reprieve. I prefer adventuring on my own.

It feels like Witcher 2 looked better than this on my old PC... am I crazy?

No, it doesn't. But the fact that you think so is a credit to the graphical benchmark of last gen that was TW2, and not a knock on TW3, which is clearly the graphically superior game.

Moff

That gave a better indication of what may have been "sacrificed" (which didn't look like much). Instead you STILL insist on going off of a line within a quote which is vague and could mean anything?

the quote is not vague at all, witcher 1 and 2 are pretty much the opposite of the latest bethesda RPGs. I dont like them at all, but loved the old witcher games.
when CDPR now say the take a completely different approach for witcher 3 and take the same path bethesda took, how is that vague?

Meh, no footsteps in the snow :/

That's what I noticed aswell. I have an OCD when it comes to snow prints in video games. Skyrim didn't have snow prints either. Had to be added with a mod.

Why do developers neglect this in so many games? It might be a small thing but it really puts me off. New generation and no snow prints. Come on, even Crash Bandicoot and Metal Gear Solid did footprints more than 16 years ago on PS1.

That looked like everything I would want from a video game. Medieval setting, a world and a story that seems awesome, swords that actually cuts through cloth, limbs and thin armor, some supernatural stuff, and the combat that looks very impressive compared to what I played on the Witcher 2.

The only thing that would make this better in my eyes is if it was a actual Berserk game. A Game of Thrones game would do very well for itself with those graphics and gameplay too I'm sure. But instead we have Telltale going at it. sigh..

erawsd

the quote is not vague at all, witcher 1 and 2 are pretty much the opposite of the latest bethesda RPGs. I dont like them at all, but loved the old witcher games.
when CDPR now say the take a completely different approach for witcher 3 and take the same path bethesda took, how is that vague?

So what is the "different approach"? Give us some examples of deep and compelling gameplay that is soured in the transition from W2 to W3.

Here are my detailed impressions from the recent Witcher 3 press preview. Please check them out.

Hands on with The Witcher 3

Can you slow down time with the bomb like in Witcher 2? Does the same arc show? I loved that. Good to hear the side quests aren't mere fetch quests.

Playing as Ciri at certain moments could be cool. I liked that bit of playing the asshole King Henselt in Witcher 2. 30 endings sounds a bit insane!

It will be incredible if the game can maintain the quality for 100 hours rather than devolve into the MMO-ness of Dragon Age Inquisition or Skyrim.

Kezen

Banned
Wonder to what level of attention they put in to the cloth physics of the PS4 version.

Physx Cloth is in all versions along with destruction. It's part of the basic Physx SDK and runs very well on CPUs.

It's different from the GPU Physx effects though.

Conduit

Banned
It still wouldn't look bad even for PC. I really don't fucking understand what impresses people anymore. Its no wonder publishers are spending ludicrous amounts of money on making these games, because people are so quick to shit on anything they deem 'not the best looking thing ever'.

Problem is that people when see the first build and expect to be like that or better until release, not downgraded. That's why people complaining about.

This I'm at a loss lol truly am.

Yeah the gameplay looked exactly like a Witcher game but in an open world. Nothing look dummed down at all.

There's some major overreactions going down in here.

It feels like Witcher 2 looked better than this on my old PC... am I crazy?

If you believe this then yes you are crazy

Jagsrock

Banned
Looks good but that trailer at the end of the vid was kinda bs. None of the gameplay we saw before it really looked as good as that trailer. It still looks incredibly fun though which is what really matters.

Game looks great, looking forward to playing an aimed at an adult audience.

with this and Bloodborne I better hurry up and finish Dragon Age.

Top Bottom