• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii Action RPG from Jaleco: Kizuna

PolyGone

Banned
It looks like a total rip-off of Shadow of the Colossus, sans Agro. The boss has furry patches and the main character even has red hair. Wtf. But it still looks pretty awesome.

PolyGone said:
It looks like a total rip-off of Shadow of the Colossus, sans Agro. The boss has furry patches and the main character even has red hair. Wtf. But it still looks pretty awesome.

Yeah... but anything inspired by sotc
or blatantly ripping it off
is a good thing either way!

:D

PolyGone

Banned
-WindYoshi- said:
Yeah... but anything inspired by sotc
or blatantly ripping it off
is a good thing either way!

:D

...Except that this will probably end up being everything SotC was striving not to be, and therefore fall flat on its face. I see lizardmen, and dialog with villagers, for instance.

Tenbatsu

PolyGone said:
...Except that this will probably end up being everything SotC was striving not to be, and therefore fall flat on its face. I see lizardmen, and dialog with villagers, for instance.
Its an Action RPG for god sake....

vareon

Let's see a few more gameplay details before labeling it "everything SoTC was striving not to be". It had a furry giant boss and a redhaired main character, but that's about it.

The description on 1up made this a day one for me. Action RPG with hordes of enemy with a stylized graphical style and huge bosses? Unless the gameplay turned out to be a total crap, I'll get this.

TunaLover

Black-Wind said:
I'd be happy with just a US release confirmation by some pub. . .

. . .>_>

You know, I would love Ubisoft again if they stopped their development for Wii and focused in publishing games from Japan in America. Like NMH, and Tenchu.

TunaLover said:
You know, I would love Ubisoft again if they stopped their development for Wii and focused in publishing games from Japan in America. Like NMH, and Tenchu.

But Ubi didn't put any backing behind NMH with ads or anything and wont do that for Tenchu either. I would only be happy about such a choice if the scraps of money they used for the "Z" games would be put into ads for the JNP games they publish.

I would prefer they just stop trying on the Wii all together. . . let someone else publish this. . . I don't want Ubi to get my money as a Wii owner.

wsippel

Banned
This seems to be Jaleco Games' first big project. The company was founded only two years ago - it's not really the Jaleco of old.

Eteric Rice

Black-Wind said:
But Ubi didn't put any backing behind NMH with ads or anything and wont do that for Tenchu either. I would only be happy about such a choice if the scraps of money they used for the "Z" games would be put into ads for the JNP games they publish.

I would prefer they just stop trying on the Wii all together. . . let someone else publish this. . . I don't want Ubi to get my money as a Wii owner.

Agreed, the fact that they're publishing Tenchu IV sucks. :<

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jaleco for me is always associated with Astyanax and Bases Loaded. And to a lesser extent, Punky Skunk, which I've never played - just remember it being a 2-D 'whipping boy' for the 3-D stunned gaming press to rag on.

WHY WASNT THIS AT E3!!!11!!1!!

Why weren't most of these at E3?

Fatal Frame IV
Rune Factory
Wario Shake
Tenchu 4
Sky Crawlers
Fragile
Little King's Story
MadWorld
Monster Hunter 3
Oboro Muramasa Youtuden
Crystal Bearers
Arc Rise Fantasia
Shiren 3

It doesn't really matter.

Linkup

That was sarcasm. I wouldn't repeat such stupidity unless of course to mock others. Anyway, they had me at action rpg and it doesn't hurt to see those two working on it.

djtiesto said:
Jaleco for me is always associated with Astyanax and Bases Loaded. And to a lesser extent, Punky Skunk, which I've never played - just remember it being a 2-D 'whipping boy' for the 3-D stunned gaming press to rag on.

Karnaaj Rally, what a great little top down racer. I'm not even sure if they developed it though.

-WindYoshi- said:

Fatal Frame IV
Rune Factory
Wario Shake
Tenchu 4
Sky Crawlers
Fragile
Little King's Story
MadWorld
Monster Hunter 3
Oboro Muramasa Youtuden
Crystal Bearers
Arc Rise Fantasia
Shiren 3

Little King's Story and Rune Factory Frontier were at E3! Briefly, but they were there! :p

It's great that the Wii is getting a lot of RPGs now, most of which are original!

Arc Rise Fantasia, Opoona, Fragile, and now Kizuna come to mind!

Shame Opoona suffered from poor localization. :'(

I wonder, will NIS bring Kizuna over, as they brought over Jaleco's Puchi Puchi Virus?

A perfect fit if you ask me! o_O

Does Jaleco's NA branch even exist anymore? The website www.jaleco.com just links to a flash game-based site (I think) that's named Jaleco.

They were in operation about three years ago, as MobyGames seems to suggest as they list games they published here back in 2005.

Is Jaleco even the DEVELOPER of this game, or just the publisher and the developer is (at the moment) unnamed?

How odd that two people from the Little King's Story team members would make an RPG at a studio that's so low-profile and really hasn't made anything compelling at least in the past decade. o_O

If Jaleco actually assembled these guys specifically to make an RPG for the Wii, then more fucking power to them! :D

jett

D-Member
Wow Jaleco :lol

Last game I played from these guys was Super Earth Defense Force...used to own it on my SNES.

Linkhero1

-WindYoshi- said:

Fatal Frame IV
Rune Factory
Wario Shake
Tenchu 4
Sky Crawlers
Fragile
Little King's Story
MadWorld
Monster Hunter 3
Oboro Muramasa Youtuden
Crystal Bearers
Arc Rise Fantasia
Shiren 3

Because they'll be at TGS :p

justchris

schuelma said:
Full write up by 1up:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169624

"Ohgon no Kizuna is set in the kindgom of Navigatoria, which has been under threat from the evil demon lord Galvaran for ages. A great hero, Gelade, successfully encased Galvaran in a tree of crystal in the last war, but went missing in the process. The monsters are back, though, and this time it's Gelade's emotionless son Rian who soldiers to the rescue, along with the stubborn, tomboyish Princess Ayna and her personal tutor Mist. "

"The battles in Ohgon no Kizuna are action-oriented, and you'll be using the Wii Nunchuk to fight them. The game has a tendency to throw hordes of monsters at your party all at once, and you'll use the Wiimote to point at the enemy you want Rian to target before striking. As you fight, you'll gradually fill up a gauge on the bottom of the screen that unlocks a screen-clearing special move -- shades of the Dynasty Warriors games there."

More at the link..

Oh good, it has Generic Characters D and L. I like them. Or wait, maybe it's Generic Character A. Does Rian have spiky hair and never speaks?

TreIII

Wow. JALECO. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. :D

Any way, I'm interested. Might import this baby if it turns out to be good.

Desi

Looking at all the scans this game looks pretty cool. I thought SoTC as well when I saw the giant furry mob, then the hero proceeded up the monster's arm and stabbed it in the neck. I want it.

Alaluef said:
Wow, nice art. Really liked the main character.

I'm getting a Drakengard vibe from the screens for some reason. And that's a good thing.
I swear if I didn't know you also liked Drakengard I'd be all over you <3

I didn't get the vibe, though :( Is there more than two scans out?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
dragonlife29 said:
I swear if I didn't know you also liked Drakengard I'd be all over you <3

I didn't get the vibe, though :( Is there more than two scans out?
Haha, it has something to do with some of the settings I saw in the scans, the battle scenes and the use of color in the game. The impression will probably vanish with higher quality screens.

It's wishful thinking from my part, I really want more games with Drakengard's atmosphere. :_(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
What a horrible website.

The art is nice though, I hope they release a video soon.

jj984jj said:
What a horrible website.

The art is nice though, I hope they release a video soon.
I wouldn't say "horrible," more like "different." Was it just me, or was it laggy as hell?

The monster designs are pretty cool, though :eek:

sp0rsk said:
I thought it was a cool site...
Game looks kinda rad.

I agree, it does look promising, hopefully it'll come stateside..
I've been a fan of Jaleco ever since the DC days.. even though they dont make the most original games, the games they make are usually pretty good.

I hope there is some sort of online mode announced for this game, it seems like it would fit very well with coop story mode or something.

okno

Arde5643 said:
For the love of god, do not google image Kizuna. Fuck!

I did just that and either our search results were different or you need to grow up. All I saw were a bunch of pics of two guys hugging each other and one pic where a guy was sitting one guy's "you know who".

I really like that site. Its horrible for a general news/info site, but as a gaming site...its on point in my opinion. Shit was nice...

Color me surprised...maybe even a hype+1. I guess we will see once some gameplay vids hit and i see the framerate hit the floor.

Arde5643

okno said:
I did just that and either our search results were different or you need to grow up. All I saw were a bunch of pics of two guys hugging each other and one pic where a guy was sitting one guy's "you know who".
Perhaps - but goddamnit, that was so far out of the field of what I was expecting when I was trying to GIS a scans of an action RPG game.

Ydahs

Unfortunately my 28.8kbps internet connection won't let me load the website. When can we expect direct-feed screens from the Famitsu website?

. ..Creative idea with the site. . .but it's laggy and hard to use. I just want some direct feed screens and vids. . . they went alil too fare with this.

Top Bottom