• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New XCOM Announcement Coming Today.... Probably?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke_Wal

For the past 2 days, 2K has been running a teaser site with a countdown timer.

http://www.adventfuture.org/

That timer is assumed to roll over to 0 days at about Noon Eastern time, as that's when it rolled over yesterday.

Now, we're not 100% sure that it's XCOM, but that's what all signs are pointing to. Images promising "cities of tomorrow" contained posters that, upon further inspection, were the same movie posters found in cities in Enemy Unknown and Within. In addition, viewing the source files of this website reveals that the font name contains the word "xcom." Finally, breaking a cipher on the website reveals the phrase "Vigilo Confido," Enemy Unknown's tagline.

The "ADVENT" organization from this teaser site also has a Facebook page, and the Facebook page for the villainous "EXALT" organization from Enemy Within has also been interacting with it, essentially confirming that this game is an XCOM sequel. This comes along with mentions of "genetic splicing and manipulation," gameplay elements from Enemy Within.

All in all, it looks like we can be expecting a next-gen XCOM reveal in a couple of hours.

Unrelated: ratings boards have recently rated "XCOM: Enemy Within Plus" for the Vita, showing that an announcement for that is probably incoming at Sony's press conference at E3. I could not be more excited.

Ushay

Please don't be a remaster

Would probably buy.

Makikou

I am legit hyped, just have to wonder whether it'll be an expansion or a wholly new game.

Can't wait for Beaglerush's reaction if it is XCOM

Com_Raven

I just wonder if it will be a strategy game from Firaxis, or if 2k will try their hand at another genre again (like a Deus Ex-esque action rpg).

Luke_Wal

I just wonder if it will be a strategy game from Firaxis, or if 2k will try their hand at another genre again (like a Deus Ex-esque action rpg).

After their take on Mass Effect ended up the way it did, I would be wary... But a Deus Ex clone sounds awesome. I would bite.

The picture where people matched the movie posters to the ones in Enemy Unknown clearly invoked another game like it. The camera angle, the copious amounts of cover (both full and half), etc

Aegus

Can't wait.

Wasn't Enemy Unknown basically an experiment to see if their was a market for traditional X-Com games while they did the X-Com FPS? If this one has the full backing of a company I expect great things.

Gothos

Here in Poland it shows 'Truth will be revealed in 1 day" :)

Anyway, I'm not interested in new XCOM unless we get truly randomized maps.

Luke_Wal

Gothos said:
Let's do this.

ADVENT is new, ya? Makes me think sequel.

Yeah, definitely.

I'm very interested to see if people saw this at Judges Week and will come back with impressions of it. I was just listening to 2012 Giant Bombcasts, and Jeff came back from E3 2012's judges week raving about Enemy Unknown, as it was the first time most people had seen it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an embargo for impressions of this new game that goes up at some point today after the announcement.

Gothos said:
Here in Poland it shows 'Truth will be revealed in 1 day" :)

Anyway, I'm not interested in new XCOM unless we get truly randomized maps.

It also says that here, but it rolled over from saying "truth will be revealed in 2 days" to displaying that yesterday at about noon.

munroe

Looking at the website... I wouldn't match it up to XCOM at all.I get no alien vibes from it. yes I know that they apparently found the XCOM motto hiding within the images, but this seems more like Corporate conspiracy type theme, not aliens attacking earth.

Edit: after reading up on XCOM: Apocalypse ... I can sort of see it being something like that, but that still had aliens in it...I just don't get that sort of vibe from the website

Luke_Wal

While I have a captive audience: I have a lot of traveling coming up, and I was thinking about getting Enemy Within for iPad. I have an Air 2; does this really run super well? I'm worried about performance. I played the game on PS3, but I never got very far because of performance issues, plus the fact that it launched right before the PS4.

Jellzy

Neo Member
Can't wait. Think they'll add some features from from Long War to the official campaign this time around.

As for the the Vita, it is severely lacking in turn based strategy games so it would be a definite purchase from me. Good game for those pick up and play sessions.

fixedpoint

While I have a captive audience: I have a lot of traveling coming up, and I was thinking about getting Enemy Within for iPad. I have an Air 2; does this really run super well? I'm worried about performance. I played the game on PS3, but I never got very far because of performance issues, plus the fact that it launched right before the PS4.

Runs beautifully on my Air 2, much better than on the PS3.

XCOM

ENEMY WITHIN

PLUS

VITA

HELP

ME

We will be watching (and buying)

Meneses

Really hope it's a new XCom for the new consoles.

Would also buy a remaster and / or a Vita version day one.

AJLma

Apocalypse is secretly the best XCOM.

Hopefully they're aiming for a modern version of that type of simulation.

Auctopus

I imagine this would upset long-time X-Com fans but I'd really like a entry where humans started on their backfoot and were on the brink of defeat. The campaign starts out with X-Com being a resistance group with low-tech before slowly rising from the ashes and becoming the X-Com we know.

Man, I am loving the xcom the bureau just playing through it to absorb the atmosphere and on easiest difficulty level so I am playing like a Mass Effect. ie mostly just me and my powers versus relying on stupid team mates. It looks and plays great on PC (big upgrade from console version) - amazing value at $3 lol

Game deserved its bad reviews in a lot of ways, its infuriating playing the harder difficulty levels because your AI guys are so stupid they have to be micromanaged constantly (eg you cannot leave them more than a second or 2 since they will move despite being ordered into cover, die and bleed out). Also when your order moves, you have to move the cursor like a person since it wont jump over cover etc which is nuts.

Big surprise to me. But I did pay like $3 PC digital for it after the terrible reviews (and game looked like garbadge on consoles) so I had very low expectations.

Given how few games are like ME (scifi, RPG elements like skill trees and abilities, team mates on field, conversation system) its been a blast accepting the game for what it is. This game kept being rebooted form the initial prototypes (which looked amazing, but presumably management felt it needed to be more mainstrem FPS/TPS style)

You can tell it was rushed, but I think the universe is such a cool setting I'd love a high budget game that went like mass effect where team mates are smart enough you dont have to micromanage them constantly

Oppo

Man, I am loving the xcom the bureau just playing through it to absorb the atmosphere and on easiest difficulty level so I am playing like a Mass Effect. ie mostly just me and my powers versus relying on stupid team mates. It looks and plays great on PC (big upgrade from console version) - amazing value at $3 lol

Game deserved its bad reviews in a lot of ways, its infuriating playing the harder difficulty levels because your AI guys are so stupid they have to be micromanaged constantly (eg you cannot leave them more than a second or 2 since they will move despite being ordered into cover, die and bleed out). Also when your order moves, you have to move the cursor like a person since it wont jump over cover etc which is nuts.

Big surprise to me. But I did pay like $3 PC digital for it after the terrible reviews (and game looked like garbadge on consoles) so I had very low expectations.

Given how few games are like ME (scifi, RPG elements like skill trees and abilities, team mates on field, conversation system) its been a blast accepting the game for what it is. This game kept being rebooted form the initial prototypes (which looked amazing, but presumably management felt it needed to be more mainstrem FPS/TPS style)

You can tell it was rushed, but I think the universe is such a cool setting I'd love a high budget game that went like mass effect where team mates are smart enough you dont have to micromanage them constantly

Yeah pretty much, nice description.

Carter has the best "what the fuck is this shit" idle animation ever.

munroe

If its from the same guys that made Enemy Unknown/Within, Day one.

Firaxis are slowly losing my respect, especially when it comes to Civ games. I enjoyed Enemy Unknown but I'm worried that they're starting to release more and more half baked games.

Raven77

Please be X-Com, please please PLEASE. Also, please have a local coop mode or at the very least an online coop mode where 4-6 players can each control a squad member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom