• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zero Time Dilemma Screenshots, 3DS/Vita Comparison

Disagreed here. I prefered VLR on 3DS for the dual screen. Although this time I'll get it on Steam if the cinematic shift is confirmed.

Vita version:

+ Better graphics.
+ Better audio.
+ English voice acting (if you imported for EU/AUS)
+ No game ending glitch.
+ Doesn't have a file that's unreadable due to the text being cut off like in the 3DS version.
+ Has four colours for taking notes (this is a bigger deal than you would think LOL) opposed to just two (or one?) in the 3DS version.

3DS version:

+ A stylus for drawing.
+ Two screens?

Vita version wins.

Nachos

Disagreed here. I prefered VLR on 3DS for the dual screen. Although this time I'll get it on Steam if the cinematic shift is confirmed.
I think they meant from a technical standpoint, both graphically and sonically. I'm replaying VLR on 3DS with the Japanese track right now, and the whole audio mix has a ton of sibilance from how compressed everything is.

DNAbro

Vita version:

+ Better graphics.
+ Better audio.
+ No game ending glitch.
+ Doesn't have a file that's unreadable due to the text being cut off like in the 3DS version.
+ Has four colours for taking notes (this is a bigger deal than you would think LOL) opposed to just two (or one?) in the 3DS version.

3DS version:

+ A stylus for drawing.
+ Two screens?

Vita version wins.

Getting ZTD on 3DS simply because i will have all the games on one system.

Yeah, I don't think 3DS is "lead" this time around, the second screen is telling. Even Virtue's Last Reward's interface was extensively designed around both screens, despite the top screen becoming the gameplay screen with 3DS. But here it's not being designed for at all.

Still, the actual in-game assets show a conscious decision to design for all three (3DS, Vita, PC) platforms and scale between them.

I'll get it on 3DS if the 3D is good -- 3D tends to solve any problems with the 400 x 240 resolution since it doubles to 800 x 240 and your eyes can pick out everything instead of it being jumbled into a single image.

But that depends on whether they have enough depth *and* convergence. But the chunky character models and camera angles certainly look like a great match for the 3D effect. Anyone who's played the Layton games, or Ace Attorney 5, or Layton Vs AA, in 3D, will get what I'm on about here.

GamerJM

Banned
Vita version:

+ Better graphics.
+ Better audio.
+ No game ending glitch.

3DS version:

+ A stylus for drawing.
+ Two screens?

Vita version wins.

The game ending glitch and the unreadable file make the Vita version better to me (I lost a lot of progress due to the 3DS bug), but if those things weren't there (and I assume they won't make that same mistake for ZTD) then I would have preferred the 3DS one. The graphics, audio (can't even notice a difference with the audio tbh), and the four colors are significantly less important to me than two screens and a stylus.

Which makes it hard to decide which for this game since the Vita version looks significantly better graphically :\.

Nimmermehr

Neo Member
There are some heavy compression artifacts in those 3DS Screenshots and none in the Vita ones. I wonder if they come from the actual game or someone went overboard with the JPG compression..

MegaMelon

This'll be the first time I'll hold off on getting a game due to graphics. Here's to hoping that the Steam version releases close to the handheld version.

Vita version:

+ Better graphics.
+ Better audio.
+ No game ending glitch.

3DS version:

+ A stylus for drawing.
+ Two screens?

Vita version wins.

Come on, don't be a dick now.
The game is just as good on 3DS as it is on Vita.
I played through it first on 3DS twice before importing a US version on Vita, and I did that only to experience the English dub (which is great btw, but I prefer the Japanese dub in this game).
The graphics are only very slightly better than on 3DS and all it comes down to is screen and texture resolution.
So the only REAL thing that might be a point in what to purchase might be the save corruption bug in the 3DS version, which can be easily avoided if you only save outside of puzzle rooms.

Everything of the story and the actual game itself is left intact. Both versions are equally good. If you only have a 3DS then you shouldn't go buy a Vita just for this game and vice versa.
As long as people get to experience the awesomeness that is the Zero Escape series, they should get whichever version is readily available to them. They won't make a mistake either way.

Nohar

*shrugs* A few graphical differences don't really matter that much, especially when we are playing this kind of games for their stories and plot-twists. As long as it looks good in motion on 3DS, I'm fine with it.
Now, it does look better on Vita, that's for sure, but I don't own that system, nor do I plan to buy one. I will see if I wait for a Steam version or if I get the 3DS version day-one (probably the latter, unless there are severe game-breaking bugs and the likes which would prevent me from buying it - I hope there won't be any, but after VLR I am a little wary now).

FluxWaveZ

Man, I dunno what you people saying that the 3DS version only looks slightly worse than the Vita version are seeing. The game looks blurry and messy on the 3DS version compared to the notably crisper Vita version. It's striking.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
While 999 should be only played in a DS/3DS, I'm really grateful that VLR made the jump to Vita. It's like night and day.

Well vita version is prettier than the 3DS one, who would have guessed? Btw I find the 2 versions to be ugly, because of the artstyle, I prefer the 2d from 999.
And you know what? I don't care. ZTD could have come on a spectrum I would have been happy to play it.
It has (I hope) the only things that matters here: a good story.
And people saying bad graphics Hurt the immersion I feel sorry for you. Are you the ones that can't enjoy a Chaplin movie because it is low-res and mute and black and white?
OK the comparison is farfetched but you get the point.

And people saying bad graphics Hurt the immersion I feel sorry for you. Are you the ones that can't enjoy a Chaplin movie because it is low-res and mute and black and white?

I don't think the comparison is farfetched at all.
A Charlie Chaplin movie looks different than movies nowadays and generally have a different feel to them. Disregarding the age of his movies, of course.

Just because something looks different doesn't mean it has to be overall bad.
Look at The Great Dictator, still one of the best movies of all time in my opinion, and that came out over 70 or 80 years ago. It was (and still is) great not because of how it looked, but because of what happens and what message it portrays. It's very timeless in that matter.

The Zero Escape series doesn't have a particular message itself. It just tells a great story involving so many different themes, with real-life themes as well, which are incredibly researched and put to great use within its own universe.
The whole game could potentially be done without any graphics at all. It would've worked as an 80s text adventure as well as a modern Visual Novel.

Story is the main focus. Not graphics.
Just because the lighting is different on 3DS due to platform limitations (most probably, at least) doesn't mean the immersiveness into the story will suffer from it.

For what it is it still looks good, if not great. It will have all the animation and dialogue and whatnot that will be in the Vita version. I can say that with 100% certainty without being involved in any way with the game's development.
Guys who says it looks good on Vita and bad on 3DS are those who judge a book by its cover.

If you have the choice between the Vita and 3DS version, that's okay, more power to you in this case.
But don't go ahead and shit in someone else's soup by saying the 3DS version looks like ass. Because it doesn't. It looks slightly worse, mainly because of screen and texture resolution, but that's it. We don't even know if the lighting being different is because of the platform or if there's some other factor adding to its difference. For what it is the lighting in the screenshot with Junpei and Akane looks better and more dynamic on 3DS to me than it does on Vita, where it looks pretty much nonexistant and makes it look way too cel-shaded, almost like Jet Set Radio. But, as I said, we don't know why that is. So why don't we just go ahead and shut up about the game's graphics, when those are the least important factor of the series?

Champion

I still cant believe we're getting this game.
giphy.gif

+1 for the 3DS version.

oti

Banned
Still haven't played VLR but I have it on PS+. (Wait, this means I have to re-subscribe, oh well, worth it.) So I'm thinking about getting the Vita version. Might as well stay consistent and also use that damn thing for once.

silva1991

If I ever finished the other two ?I will be picking the Vita version for sure(or steam)

2 generations difference right here.

Come on, don't be a dick now.
The game is just as good on 3DS as it is on Vita.
I played through it first on 3DS twice before importing a US version on Vita, and I did that only to experience the English dub (which is great btw, but I prefer the Japanese dub in this game).
The graphics are only very slightly better than on 3DS and all it comes down to is screen and texture resolution.
So the only REAL thing that might be a point in what to purchase might be the save corruption bug in the 3DS version, which can be easily avoided if you only save outside of puzzle rooms.

Everything of the story and the actual game itself is left intact. Both versions are equally good. If you only have a 3DS then you shouldn't go buy a Vita just for this game and vice versa.
As long as people get to experience the awesomeness that is the Zero Escape series, they should get whichever version is readily available to them. They won't make a mistake either way.

Wait, what? Don't be a dick? That's completely uncalled for. How was I even being a dick in my post? : /

Vita looks pretty great, but I can't wait to see what PC looks like!
Yikes... you can't even see the butterfly on Zero's clothes in the 3DS... 😅
Whoa damn.
No, there is no point because this is a bone-headed, stupid comparison.

More striking graphical downgrades and region locked out of physical. Thanks 3DS.
I would have considered a PS TV for an imported copy of this, but who knows whether Sony or the publishers would even bother to ,,unlock" the game for the device at this point.

Well, the 3DS version being in 3D is a visual upgrade that 2D screenshots won't convey. Also hoping that they'll make use of the power of the New 3DS.

Nintendo fans made the series popular, and for the second time they are treating us like shit.

Will wait for the Steam version, I guess.

sensui-tomo

This game will more than likely be able to be played on a vita tv just like the last game can be played on it. Will buy on vita, last game had dual audio on vita too right?

Nintendo fans made the series popular, and for the second time they are treating us like shit.

Will wait for the Steam version, I guess.
You're blaming the company for Nintendo's handheld limitations?
Anyone know the sales of vlr just to see how many vita owners bought it.

3DS version of VLR had that cool easter egg
where the second screen was Zero's eye.

Picking this up for Vita though, this along with the Sega Hard Girls game makes 2 vita games I'm buying this year.

Top Bottom