• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zero Time Dilemma Screenshots, 3DS/Vita Comparison

? How is the devs fault the 3ds being terrible?

The game seems rather demanding in fact. 3DS seems to feature lesser lighting and textures, Vita seems to be subnative res... They definitely aimed for a higher end version then downported the whole thing to handhelds.

FluxWaveZ

Why is that? VLR was great in 3D.

Well, in general I don't play with 3D enabled, but I guess it's just something specifically about a text-driven game where I just wouldn't want to deal with it. Good to know that it was actually done well in VLR, though.

More striking graphical downgrades and region locked out of physical. Thanks 3DS.
I would have considered a PS TV for an imported copy of this, but who knows whether Sony or the publishers would even bother to ,,unlock" the game for the device at this point.

It will be PSTV compatible.

Anyone know the sales of vlr just to see how many vita owners bought it.
3DS version sold more in Japan. We don't know how it performed here in the west.

? How is the devs fault the 3ds being terrible?
Terrible and yet can run Monster Hunter and Yo-kai Watch at almost 60fps?

Of course the 3DS version would be inferior to the Vita version, but there's no excuse for it looking this ugly. I'm pretty sure it will have performance problems too.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Terrible and yet can run Monster Hunter and Yo-kai Watch at almost 60fps?

Of course the 3DS version would be inferior to the Vita version, but there's no excuse for it looking this ugly. I'm pretty sure it will have performance problems too.

If only they had Capcom and Level 5/Nintendo level finances backing them up for a game that almost didn't get made.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Confirmed where? Iirc there's things like Danganronpa EU that don't work, or even old games like FF Tactics which haven't been approved in all regions. Also, does the PS TV still need Vita memory cards?

Need?
If you intend to play off the cart (region free) then you can save to the internal memory of the PSTV without a memory card.

redhood56

Banned
The character models looks real nice in vita. VLR looked so nice on both platforms I hope they can optimize them further. I would love native res on vita

Man God

Non-Canon Member
After playing both versions twice I definitely prefer the 3DS version of VLR. Controls better, has the nice memo feature. Never had any freezes or saving issues but I didn't take any chances on the second playthrough.

Yeah, I don't think 3DS is "lead" this time around, the second screen is telling. Even Virtue's Last Reward's interface was extensively designed around both screens, despite the top screen becoming the gameplay screen with 3DS. But here it's not being designed for at all.

Still, the actual in-game assets show a conscious decision to design for all three (3DS, Vita, PC) platforms and scale between them.

I'll get it on 3DS if the 3D is good -- 3D tends to solve any problems with the 400 x 240 resolution since it doubles to 800 x 240 and your eyes can pick out everything instead of it being jumbled into a single image.

But that depends on whether they have enough depth *and* convergence. But the chunky character models and camera angles certainly look like a great match for the 3D effect. Anyone who's played the Layton games, or Ace Attorney 5, or Layton Vs AA, in 3D, will get what I'm on about here.
Definitely, the steresocopic 3D makes a lot of difference.

Besides is not like this series is known for it's technical merits and visual splendor, so the more cleaner visual presentation doesn't make much differnce for me in this case. Both look fine for what they are.

We should also compensate for the by now default extra uglyness the 3DS captures always show. When playing it on the actual hardware it looks much better, specially on standard sized 3Des.

FluxWaveZ

Are people still trying to make the graphics argument for a game in a genre where graphics are normally super low on the priority list?

For me, graphics are just slightly below music and the actual narrative in a visual novel, especially one that uses 3D models and not illustrations/sprites.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

takoyaki

Spike Chunsoft released videos of all 3 versions on their YouTube channel.

the Steam and Vita versions both look pretty good, but the 3DS version really does look underwhelming. And it doesn't even support 3D.

3DS
screenshot2016-06-17abquvn.png

Vita
screenshot2016-06-17amfaln.png

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think the 3ds version is fine, for some reason colors are different but other than that, lower resolution textures and less cel shading everything looks the same.

The 3ds graphic is more lacking but the bigger problem seems like the animation. I really wish they had gone with how VLR handled dialogue between the characters. Still, day 1 for me for both versions.

Top Bottom