• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You know the funny thing is that if you look at it...they may all be nerds but they STILL look like they have more testosterone than the antifa I've seen on TV! lol

You know....you'd probably just about get Microsoft to commit digital Sepukku if you put that pic on twitter with some heading of 'nazi Microsoft supporters or something' because I almost guarantee some folks would pick it up and distribute it, thinking it was serious! Kinda funny.....and then not- the longer I think it over.. Oh well! ;)

If he frames them as Nazi, you know some will be screaming out loud like this retard here. Politics aside, her screaming is iconic. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

user1337

Yeah we just need the systems now. We basically know everything (except OS stuff from Sony) so everything is so slow... 4 weeks and 3 days!
Do we know for sure what the final UI is for Xbox? I was under the impression that the review units had an incomplete UI or at least one that is still being completed. We know roughly what it looks like and the quick resume menu, but not much else.

Redlight

AC Valhalla could benefit in PS5 from better sound, higher quality textures, higher quality audio files for the same size:

There’s no real huge surprise here, but it looks like Assassin’s Creed Valhalla will run at 60 frames-per-second in 4K on the PlayStation 5, as was also confirmed for Xbox Series X previously. Word comes courtesy of a Eurogamer.de article, where it’s also mentioned that the release will leverage the Sony console’s SSD for improved loading times and Tempest Engine for 3D sound.

So, don't celebrate too soon. Wait for PS5's version,.

However, this information doesn't specify whether that number applies to every console in the Xbox family (including next-gen consoles the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S), or just the Xbox One. The PS4 and PS5 sizes will also differ, so PlayStation fans shouldn't take this as a realisable gauge of how much space they'll need come launch day.

https://www.gamesradar.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-install-size/

oodle-typical-vbar.png

Stop kicking up dust.

My original post was in response to you making this outlandish and ridiculous claim...
"Then pay $229 for that external SSD. Buying an XSS sounds like a scam to me."

Next-gen Valhalla is around 50g on Series X. If that's typical then Series S will be able to have at least 4 AAA games on it's internal SSD at the same time. You can move games to and from cheap external drives with ease, so it isn’t an issue.

Important note regarding this discussion about the Series S:
PS5 COMPRESSION, THE TEMPEST ENGINE, SSD SPEED (and any other Sony press release you may have handy) IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

Sorry, but I'm not playing your ridiculous game. For now I'll just refer you back to my previous posts on this matter until you address the actual point.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Stop kicking up dust.

My original post was in response to you making this outlandish and ridiculous claim...

Next-gen Valhalla is around 50g on Series X. If that's typical then Series S will be able to have at least 4 AAA games on it's internal SSD at the same time. You can move games to and from cheap external drives with ease, so it isn’t an issue.

PS5 COMPRESSION, THE TEMPEST ENGINE, SSD SPEED (and any other Sony press release you may have handy) IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

Sorry, but I'm not playing your ridiculous game. For now I'll just refer you back to my previous posts on this matter until you address the actual point.

ok

chonga

Because there's no need for it... Why do you put it horizontally? Because you want it to fit in your TV cabinet. And a TV cabinet gas sides. So you don't even see that part.

And to be completely clear, I don't think there's an issue with the PS5 stand. It takes 1min and then you never have to do it again.
Not all TV stands have sides. And some TV stands have very wide shelves - some TV stands have no sides and wide shelves! So you would still see it in many cases.

Don't you think many more might have had it, but are under NDA and travis Scott just ignored it or forgot about it? I don't see any reason why he would get one before anyone else.
I don't see it either, but he's the only one that we know of with a DualSense and allegedly a PS5 without Sony supervision. I sure do hope more people have the PS5 at home, but Sony ninjas are probably watching everything closely.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Biggest flexer on the net. Cartman with friends. A complete loser in life. So glad I have a life outside of gaming.
God I hate casuals like you. If you're not dedicated to the hobby (more like dedicated to this artform) go the fuck outside and do your shitty boring birdwatching or whatever the fuck you're doing. But leave us real enthusiasts and hardcore pro gamers alone you absolutely dense cunt.
Smh my head.

I think he wasn't calling you a loser, but Timdog AFAIK. relax. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Great way to illustrate you have no idea how graphics in computers works.

Gpu bandwidth 500GB a sec .. Ps5 SSD 5GB a a sec .. therefor 495GB of bandwidth is never used.

Since theres are so many brainiacs here .. at 5GB a sec .. consistent streaming .. how long until a 50 GB game runs out of new textures to display?
There's like 10 layers of stupid in this take... adding the arrogance on top just makes it priceless :messenger_tears_of_joy:

geordiemp

It doesnt matter how much caching and reuse .. the 5GB of bandwidth is complete wasted when your reloading the same assets over and over .. or it will be idle when those repeated assets are already in memory.

Everyone keeps dreaming about this continuous stream of 5GB of textures making games look amazing that the xbox or pc ssd cant keep up.... that would be true if you actually had unique textures.. instead its going to be idle most of the time .. and slightly less latency to load the same data.

A game thats 500GB thats streamed at 2GB a sec ( ie on a pc right now) will look far better than any 50GB game with 5GB/sec of bandwidth.

LOL you games never get pop in or stutter.

Lort has a system that nobody else has. Well done.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I don't think that's how it works. When you choose boost mode, that's when you're telling the PS5 to use the full 2.23ghz to run PS4 and Pro games. If you don't, it'll run them in their native mode. I think that's the whole point of boost mode.

PS4 native in boost mode = 18CUs @2.23ghz = 5.137TF (Using 18CUs like the PS4 had at PS5 clock)
PS4 Pro in boost mode = 36CUs @2.23ghz = 10.27TF (Using all CUs at PS5 clock)

And without boost mode they'd run at PS4 and Pro clocks. I think they were 800mhz and 911mhz iirc.

Which is what I said if it runs at the PS4 or PRO modes it won't be enhanced, so is not the same as Series X, the entire point I'm making.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, it seems it was a 3D printed PS5:

Mystery Solved :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EDIT: Although, the last part of the video was quite useful for me as he goes to IKEA and checks where it fits!

I would suggest not putting PS5 nor XSX in tight spaces, and if it's inside a TV stand the back at least must be fully open so hot air goes out from the back of PS5. With XSX horizontally it can be tricky as it'll hit the sides and might come back in.

In PS5 here, its sucks air from right/front side, while the rear is fully exhaust so you can still get away with PS5 being in a tight space if the back is fully open.

m-ps5horizontal.jpg

On XSX, the intake is mainly in the left/back and slightly from the left. The exhaust is on the right. So hot air hitting the right side might come back slightly with a not fully open space in the back, while it'll 100% make a massive problem if the rear back of the space isn't open enough as it's not sucking cool air from the front.

1280x720.jpg

Something like this would be perfect for both:

IMG-classic_decorative_drawer_tv_stand-f0002305.jpg

Something like this could be problematic:

51VnUgjSk4L.jpg

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Im not usually on the whole i hate Polygon wagon, but that article was ridiculous... they try argue its brilliant design... its not.

If it was designed by Apple;
* it would snap on in both directions
* it wouldnt need a place to hide a screw
* it wouldnt need a cover to hide where the screw is hidden
* it wouldnt need a screw driver
* it wouldnt need a screw
* it wouldnt need a stand

The brilliant part is that the stand has luxury features and is a free pack-in and Sony do all of this with the technology in the console - that is a paradigm shift in about 3 ways - and still don't charge the £2,000 Apple luxury price for this design with an idiot proof screw/stand, or £2,500 with the no-screws option -and do so while turning a profit, and while funding software development that - as shown by Xbox's investment of nearly 2 decades - is more than just throwing money at the situation or acquisitions.

I would love to be proved wrong, but the reason Apple aren't in this market (IMHO) is because they would repeat all Xbox's mistakes and losses, and probably still not reach the level of Nintendo or Xbox in marketshare/profitability.

Sony could probably build a completely environmentally friendly chassis and case (without visible screws or a stand) out of wood for a PS5 if their profit margin was 300% day1 and if the market could handle a price of £2,000, you only need look at sets of speakers they've made in recent years out of wood to realise that their engineering capability is not the limit of products they sell in the 10s of millions.

DaGwaphics

The external SSD doesn't need the full bandwidth either - I think screenshots and videos will still be stored on the internal SSD.

The internal drive, which is the exact same as the external, is only 2.4GB/sec. The controller rumored to be associated with Xbox is listed as CFE. CFE drives are NVMe drives and models supporting PCIe 4.0 will be available when there is a market (they need cameras to support that first). CFE cards are expensive because they can be (professional grade product), a Xbox variant could safely exist because it is proprietary and can not cannibalize the high-end market (the xbox card won't fit in the cameras). It doesn't really make a difference either way, NVMe is NVMe whether it is CFE or 2030.

Which is what I said if it runs at the PS4 or PRO modes it won't be enhanced, so is not the same as Series X, the entire point I'm making.

The same will happen with the Series X if the developers don't make any additional improvements. Some things will be standard like Auto HDR but thats because of a feature that Microsoft built in. But things like higher quality textures, higher native resolution, ray tracing and an increase in the maximum framerate has to be implemented by the developers.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The only ones that I can think that wouldn't be are games with a totally locked framerate and resolution, so Forza games maybe.
What about games like GTA V? It might just get a locked 30fps or something. Wouldn't that make the differences between the two (PS5 BC/Xbox Series X BC) very similar? (PS4 Pro has the "boost" mode for non-patched games which would help with fps).
I dunno, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Riky

$MSFT
What about games like GTA V? It might just get a locked 30fps or something. Wouldn't that make the differences between the two (PS5 BC/Xbox Series X BC) very similar? (PS4 Pro has the "boost" mode for non-patched games which would help with fps).
I dunno, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The difference as far as I can tell is that the Series X has no legacy modes.

Gudji

It's the same as series X. /shrug

No boost mode, no down clocking, the full power of the Xbox Series X for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, many times even higher performance than the games saw on their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady framerates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality. Backwards compatible titles also see significant reductions in in-game load times from the massive leap in performance from our custom NVME SSD which powers the Xbox Velocity Architecture.

It's the same as series X. /shrug

If they are not allowed to downclock to make some games compatible that could cause some issues with BC. Sony on the other hand can make the PS5 "replicate" the PS4 on a hardware level which is why 99% of titles are compatible with the system.

Just my speculation.

It isn't because the Series X has no legacy modes. So everything gets enhanced. Whatever games running in the PS5 legacy modes obviously won't or the legacy modes wouldn't exist.

Sounds like the most basic form of BC for Xbox is just a boost mode. Basically just playing Xbox One/Series X games at higher clocks.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

The same will happen with the Series X if the developers don't make any additional improvements. Some things will be standard like Auto HDR but thats because of a feature that Microsoft built in. But things like higher quality textures, higher native resolution, ray tracing and an increase in the maximum framerate has to be implemented by the developers.
my understanding is that if PS4 game hasnt got boost mode then unlocked games will not see a performance improvement?

this is the problem with sony being so secretive, like we know on xbox without anything being done we will get best performance we can on the set limits, but these legacy modes in PS5 muddies the waters... like why have a legacy mode, why doesnt everything run in boost mode like xbox

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Since this thread is winding down let's get the Facts out now. And don't give any of that crap you got wifes, girlfriends and all that jazz. Lets hear it :messenger_grinning:

@EviLore
@Mod of War
@Bill O'Rights

Which girl do you prefer, Pc girl, Ps5 girl or Xbox girl.

Ps5 girl for me it is, xbox girl aint half bad, pc girl does nothing for me.

Xbox girl > PC girl. PS5 girl is too skinny, I need cushion for the pushin.

PSX

High speed Cartridge or SSD idea was Sony's at the first place but MS did it. Is that why Sony don't want to show anything about PS5 and being super secretive to us because of MS maybe copying them? if Sony did choose cartridge SSD we would be in a different place by now, I can see the PS5 is more future proof because the SSD it will go on for the long run but XBOX will have limitations due to PS5/PC going a lot faster, I can see XBOX will be upgraded with higher or optional SSD near the future just "speculation".

Last edited:

my understanding is that if PS4 game hasnt got boost mode then unlocked games will not see a performance improvement?

this is the problem with sony being so secretive, like we know on xbox without anything being done we will get best performance we can on the set limits, but these legacy modes in PS5 muddies the waters... like why have a legacy mode, why doesnt everything run in boost mode like xbox

Cerny already gave us the answer to that. Basically some PS4 titles have issues running at higher clocks. If they are not patched to run well at higher clocks then the legacy modes will kick in so that they are playable. This is the main reason why Sony managed to make so many titles compatible without requiring any patches or making the user download a digital version of the game.

Now back in February he did mention that the top 100 played titles were tested and work just fine with the PS5s boost mode. In case you didn't notice that was a long time ago so they probably tested alot more titles with the boost mode and many more are available to play with it. The ones that can't function with boost will just drop down to the legacy modes. The ones that don't work at all will require a patch.

75594_59_ps5-backward-compatibility-these-ps4-games-arent-playable-on_full.png

Understanding what they are doing isn't difficult. However it would be nice to have a list of titles that work with boost mode.

reksveks

I don’t know but if it is anywhere close to the 2.23GHz, it’s a massive boost compared to the Pro’s 900MHz or something like that. I can see a boost like that breaking things like Cerny said.

I don't think it makes a massive difference in terms of resolution but could have the same quality differences as between xbox one x and ps4 Pro.

reksveks

High speed Cartridge or SSD idea was Sony's at the first place but MS did it. Is that why Sony don't want to show anything about PS5 and being super secretive to us because of MS maybe copying them? if Sony did choose cartridge SSD we would be in a different place by now, I can see the PS5 is more future proof because the SSD it will go on for the long run but XBOX will have limitations due to PS5/PC going a lot faster, I can see XBOX will be upgraded with higher or optional SSD near the future just "speculation".

That was for a kids toy btw.

PSX

Stop kicking up dust.

Well if they charge you for that price for less than half as speed as on other places then yes it called scam/ripping off.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
It's there so you don't block the bottom vents, that's why you can't remove it, but I am just taking the piss, I don't care if you can or can't remove the stand, it has a purpose and I don't care you have to screw the PS5 stand in vertically, people are just going crazy that they might have to use a new invention for the first time in their lives (a screwdriver).

SCREW you dude.

a screwdriver terrifies me. "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom