• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gudji

How when the clocks are lowered and the CU count is lowered?

Who said the clocks are lowered? Sony didn't provide any technical info on how BC works. So unless you provide some receipts I'm going to say you're wrong.

The fact is, the hardware is ready for PS4 games just like XSX hardware is ready for XSX games. All games will have enhancements, some more than others.

Loxus

My argument?
  • Someone posted that they were happy that they could finally pair their existing bluetooth headphones to the PS5.
  • I asked was this capability announced for the PS5 as I may have missed it
  • Bo replied with some link showing Bluetooth 5.1
  • My reply was this doesn't mean the console supports Bluetooth audio.
Like I said, that could change with 5.1.
This is the PS5, not PS4.

Loxus

Never understood this...serious question. How does connecting headphones 🎧 via 3.5mm cable to to Dualshock fix this? The DS4 uses Bluetooth and has to send a signal to the controller and then through the cable...why not just do straight bluetooth?
Exactly.
I think pairing probably was the problem.

On Demand

Banned
Any game that has

Dynamic resolution
Uncapped frame rate
frame rates that drop below their target

Will have higher resolution and frame rates on PS5.

Games that have native resolution and locked or steady frame rates the PS5 can’t do anything with them without developers manually making it better themselves.

Like I said, that could change with 5.1.
This is the PS5, not PS4.

Yes. You're asking me what's my argument. I don't have one. I asked a question based off what someone wrote to understand if something was confirmed. It isn't.

Yes it could change with the PS5, that's why I asked the question. You seem to have some problem with comprehension. I'll put it down to English not being your first language, which is fair enough.

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

To me, seems to be the most enjoyable with the best endurance and experience though... :lollipop_downcast_sweat: PS5 girl looks too irritating to me.:lollipop_frowning_mouth:

Here's the perfect outfit for Switch Girl to wear

jsKWl6x.jpg

Handy Fake

Any game that has

Dynamic resolution
Uncapped frame rate
frame rates that drop below their target

Will have higher resolution and frame rates on PS5.

Games that have native resolution and locked or steady frame rates the PS5 can’t do anything with them without developers manually making it better themselves.
In a nutshell, this. It's not a particularly hard concept to grasp.

TLZ

Banned
Which is what I said if it runs at the PS4 or PRO modes it won't be enhanced, so is not the same as Series X, the entire point I'm making.
This "if" depends on us, the user. We choose to turn boost mode on or off.

The SX is the same, except you can't choose to turn off SX mode. And not every game is enhanced in SX. Enhanced means MS patches a game with higher res and/or fps. Like the Xbox One X did. Not every game was X enhanced, and those were played at native specs.

Loxus

Yes. You're asking me what's my argument. I don't have one. I asked a question based off what someone wrote to understand if something was confirmed. It isn't.

Yes it could change with the PS5, that's why I asked the question. You seem to have some problems with comprehension. I'll put it down to English not being your first language, which is fair enough. However, if it is? Dayum.
Had a feeling you misunderstood what argument means.
Argument has many meanings.
One of them is: "a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong."
Argument isn't a bad word as many make it out to be.

When we're in a meeting we say, "so what's your argument on the building design".
It doesn't always mean that heated exchange we have with our wives. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Had a feeling you misunderstood what argument means.
Argument has many meanings.
One of them is: "a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong."
Argument isn't a bad word as many make it out to be.

When we're in a meeting we say, "so what's your argument on the building design".
It doesn't always mean that heated exchange we have with our wives. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I wasn't trying to persuade anyone of anything. I asked a question to understand if something was confirmed. You came in trying to tell me why does it matter, bluetooth latency sucks what's the problem with USB.

I'm done.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think they are both wrong here. there is nothing brilliant about the PS5's stand. It's just a stand.

And there is nothing wrong with having a screw holding a stand together. If you dont have a screwdriver in your house, your parents have failed you. This goes for both men and women.
Nah, stuff like this should always use a thumb screw. It's more convenient, ergonomical, and prevents overtightening and stripping.

J_Gamer.exe

So just to go back to that 13 second loading time for an Xbox title thats not a bc title so should be using the velocity architecture.

Its not impressive at all. It should be using velocity architecture and if not why not. Is it just not as xbox fans hoped it would be.

We know the PS5 can load a game in 2 seconds, less even sometimes. Before any haters come along like we've seen in ratchet and astro etc there will be loads where an animation plays first because devs want loads to fit in with the games.

I suppose technically they could just make the screen go black and appear in the new location but that doesn't fit with the character travelling through a portal or whatever.

As for PS5 bc, I'm in 2 minds. I dont think we will see the same loading as next gen coded ones as it seems to hit some hard limit. You can see this with ssd tests where even slower ones are similar to faster ones at times.

Will ps5 bc be quicker than xbox, I think so.

Richard from DF in the ssd vid yesterday mentioned about the zen 2 cores being a ton better at decompression....

But it has a custom decmompressor so is that right? Or are bc games not using it? I know the velocity architecture uses direct storage and uses cpu cycles although obviously this is on next gen games only.

So heres the thing, on PS5 things are done differently. They have more dedicated hardware but it does have to be coded for, according to Cerny all devs have to do is indicate where the data is and where its to go.

So with bc I'd be amazed if it somehow automatically used it, but with a faster ssd, 12 channel controller, io co processors etc i wonder how much this will improve games not coded for it.

Ps5 doesn't use the cpu with decompression etc when coded for but how autonomous is it without being?

There's also things like caches and with the whole console being designed for speed bc is going to be interesting to see.

I'm prepared for it being a bit faster but to get the full speed that slight code change. But whoknows maybe that hardware just benefits somewhat on its own?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

So just to go back to that 13 second loading time for an Xbox title thats not a bc title so should be using the velocity architecture.

I'll just stop here and say that any game new or old that is being released on the X1 family (HDD) is not using most of the benefits of the SSD provided by the Xbox series consoles. The same holds true for PC. Until games eliminate the HDD as an option, the SSDs won't be fully utilized in the consoles or PC. Even a change to an SATA SSD minimum spec would be huge for game engines,

Loxus

I wasn't trying to persuade anyone of anything. I asked a question to understand if something was confirmed. You came in trying to tell me why does it matter, bluetooth latency sucks what's the problem with USB.

I'm done.
Watever dude.
I'm from da Caribbean nd if da way I talk offends u, dats yr thing.
All I like is discussin da next gen systems, I don't even know how it came to this.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just dont get Alex to him testing a last gen 5 year old game in BC mode is more intersting than talking about the tear down of a new console that is just weird.
Screenshot-2020-10-10-143118.png

I understand they have already committed to releasing these videos, but his response is just baffling comes across a bit snobbish. Like this video was 100% fluff, anyway i am sorry for the rant.

You are baffled that DF would praise BC and spend that much time on that old of a game and downplay the PS5 video?

Seriously?

I mean I love what these machines are doing with some older titles but that statement by Dicktator doesnt shock me at all.

I just dont get Alex to him testing a last gen 5 year old game in BC mode is more intersting than talking about the tear down of a new console that is just weird.

I understand they have already committed to releasing these videos, but his response is just baffling comes across a bit snobbish. Like this video was 100% fluff, anyway i am sorry for the rant.

So am I to understand that the PS5 Teardown, which utilizes a DRAM cache and hitherto unseen cooling is "uninteresting" to a tech channel compared to how a 5 year old Xbox game runs in BC? I'm not convinced by his response.

I do find it telling that it's well known they've a bias here, but it looks like even on Ree folks are starting to question their intent.

On Demand

Banned
In a nutshell, this. It's not a particularly hard concept to grasp.

I think Sucker Punch is basically uncapping the frame rate in GoT so in can run at 60fps with Game Boost.

Very cool idea.

This "if" depends on us, the user. We choose to turn boost mode on or off.

The SX is the same, except you can't choose to turn off SX mode. And not every game is enhanced in SX. Enhanced means MS patches a game with higher res and/or fps. Like the Xbox One X did. Not every game was X enhanced, and those were played at native specs.

Correct. Sony is basically giving us full control on whether we want to use Game Boost. MS doesn’t have any option for this with SX. And just because it’s automatic doesn’t mean ALL games will run with better frame rates and resolution. It’s still dependent on the game like the example I gave in my post above.

I don’t know about anyone else, I like that Sony let’s us choose.

Last edited:

Lysandros

This guy should seek treatement for narcissistic personality disorder at this point.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Especially for an Indiegame. How big is that? maybe 2-3 GB?. The whole game fits in the Ram a couple of times. MS did nothing for the I/O. So sad... so sad

Do we know how the engine is being utilized there? You can have 1GB game that takes 3 minutes to load. Hell, something could be wireframe and use less data than that even. Load times do not equal time from storage to ram. Some games do a lot of busy work at boot, and indie level games are often not as well optimized as a game from a team of 500. It is what it is.

sircaw

Banned
Just my two cents here and this is taken from a totally none technical person or as a normal everyday consumer walking around your local Tescos.

I know fuck all about tech but when i see a game like that and see a 13 second load time i am like Wtf, why.

If it was say forza or the new call of duty and it had all that eye candy/raytraching etc i would be like fair enough, i can understand why it takes so long to load. With this game i am like WTF, this should be 1-2 seconds surely.

Of course there is a lot more to it than that, but that's why my soul died when i saw the loading screen of no mans sky on ps4, i just expect those type of looking games to load quick.

J_Gamer.exe

So am I to understand that the PS5 Teardown, which utilizes a DRAM cache and hitherto unseen cooling is "uninteresting" to a tech channel compared to how a 5 year old Xbox game runs in BC? I'm not convinced by his response.

I do find it telling that it's well known they've a bias here, but it looks like even on Ree folks are starting to question their intent.

Yes a console using liquid metal and other interesting things to be seen should have a video. But Alex seems to imply because they haven't had one they are less interested.

SONY DIDN'T SEND US A PS5 SO WERE NOT DOING A VIDEO.

Screen-Shot-2016-06-24-at-12.15.40.png

J_Gamer.exe

Link to thread to see his excuses please?

MrLove

Banned
Do we know how the engine is being utilized there? You can have 1GB game that takes 3 minutes to load. Hell, something could be wireframe and use less data than that even. Load times do not equal time from storage to ram. Some games do a lot of busy work at boot, and indie level games are often not as well optimized as a game from a team of 500. It is what it is.
In another words, MS didnt remove the bottlenecks (File I/O, Mapping, Coherency etc). At PS5 it makes no difference, its always practical 2GB in 0.27 sec.

TLZ

Banned

This f*****. I see what he's doing. Too blatant.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
This guy should seek treatement for narcissistic personality disorder at this point.
Whats funny is that prior to being hired by DF he was always in some playstation thread downplaying the games and legit nobody gave a shit about what he had to say. He must feel vindicated getting sucked off by the xbox fanbase right now. The hero they always wanted.

Last edited:

Loxus

The teardown could have been done in a Digital Foundry Direct.
They analyze trailers, but can't check the teardown?

DaGwaphics

In another words, MS didnt remove the bottlenecks (File I/O, Mapping, Coherency etc). At PS5 it makes no difference, its always practical 2GB in 0.27 sec.

Storage bottlenecks are only one part of the loading process. I'd be shocked if RDR2 for example, loads in a second or two on the PS5. It does a lot of on boot busy work on both the CPU and GPU (visible on a PC if you have activity monitoring tools). Anyone that thinks that games are just assets to storage has forgotten about the work done by the CPU and GPU all together. New games that are next-gen only will definitely utilize the SSDs more, and I would expect third-parties to institute SSD requirements on the PC side.

This is why RDR2 doesn't load much faster from a 5.5GB/sec drive than it does from a 400MB/sec drive. The assets are just one part of the loading process.

Windows isn't the most efficient with NVMe drives at the moment, but most non-gaming applications will see huge benefits from the change from SATA to NVMe. This is because those programs (DB handling, etc.) are often bottlenecked more by storage speed than by CPU utilization. Almost all games released today are built for HDD, therefor there is a limit to how much faster storage can improve things. The biggest factors in gaming are CPU & GPU and those are already being utilized well on PC, thus you see in many situations load times are limited to CPU/GPU constraints once you get past a certain storage speed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom