• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Yeah, but they've added something like 500 cars since 2013. Polyphony has had insanely long Dev cycles as of last gen.

Didn't Forza 5 and GT6 release around the same time? I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for PD but T10 is much bigger than PD and T10 shares assets with Play ground games as well. After GT6, PD started from scratch building all their cars for the PS4 just like T10 did with FM5. with time I'm pretty sure the car list will grow.

JlNX

Didn't Forza 5 and GT6 release around the same time? I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for PD but T10 is much bigger than PD and T10 shares assets with Play ground games as well. After GT6, PD started from scratch building all their cars for the PS4 just like T10 did with FM5. with time I'm pretty sure the car list will grow.

I'm pretty sure Turn 10 is like less than half the size of PD are they not, I think the last time I checked it was around 70 developers and I believe PD for GT Sport is over 200. Tho Turn 10 I know for FM5 due to being a small team and having to build all new assets from scratch for FM5 heavily relied on Outsourcing, but for subsequent releases I don't think they have. FM5 due to a two year development cycle and a new generation had up to 400 different developers or something crazy like that having had worked on it at some point, Obviously a lot of those people might have worked on the project for a week to couple of months but still it was a massive workload for a two year cycle.

Synth

Yea, but FM5 and GT6 releasing at the same time kinda highlights the overaching issue. Turn10 were done and dusted with FM2, FM3 and FM4 all feeling complete in the time it took PD to fire out a incomplete feeling GT5 with GT6 basically representing what GT5 should have been. They should have been long ready to be working on PS4 before GT6 happened. GT Sport should have basically been released in GT6's timeframe leading us to a fully featured GT7 about now.

Turn10 being bigger (or at least outsourcing more) than Polyphony is a hollow excuse when you consider the money Gran Turismo brings in comparatively.

Sebmugi

It is very clean and dynamic o the impression of driving a car 2 times faster than in other games, has equivalent car: P
By contrast the blur (DOF) is a horror : / so much better if you can disable it.. :eek:

Sebmugi

Finally the last day of the UE beta we will be entitled to Tokyo... A good circuit with games of delicious lighting <3

1500193140-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716090434.png
1500193144-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716090549.png

1500193150-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716091003.png
1500193152-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716090656.png

1500193246-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716092100.png
1500193292-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716092159.png

1500193320-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716092745.png
1500193328-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716091310.png

1500193329-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716092239.png
1500193340-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716091624.png

1500193492-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716093502.png
1500193490-gran-turismo-tm-sport-version-de-test-beta-fermee-20170716092342.png

Niks

PCARS 2 is an improvement from the last game aesthetically. I posted for high bitrate 4K video in the PCARS2 topic.

No DOF with cockpit camera shake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDT2ScWv3Mg

With DOF (Cockpit camera shake is toned down in this one as well)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YpZQNISNOU

I really like the windshield getting dirty with smudges. The camera shake is too pronounced (especially under braking). The DOF effect looks nice inside the cockpit, but looks terrible on the rear-view mirror and on the horizon.

I really like the windshield getting dirty with smudges. The camera shake is too pronounced (especially under braking). The DOF effect looks nice inside the cockpit, but looks terrible on the rear-view mirror and on the horizon.

Camera movement is totally player-configurable. You can set things like FOV, helmet cam DOF, headbob, and some others that I forget.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Yep, I'm still waiting for a racing game that really pushes the boat out when it comes to weather. Racers don't seem to expand upon rain, storms, sunny, overcast, dry or wet and rarely you get fog or snow/snow-storm. It's a great way to have the same track feel completely different and give a lot more visual variety. I want to see humid weather with heat rays and water vapour, cold weather were the track has ice in places and mist, windy weather that actually effects the surroundings blowing stuff on to the track or in front of the driver, sandstorms or sleet/hail, of course all of these can affect the simulation as well. Even better if they started mixing multiple of them together like snow and lighting storms, I had hoped with FH3 Blizzard Mountain we would get snow and snow storms on some tracks in FM7. If a racer is really going to push the boat out when it comes to a deep weather system then It's probably going to be a Horizon (as a open world racer) or Evo's new game .
How often do (actual) track racers run in such bad weather... yeah some rain even then its stopped if its too bad

Sebmugi

The SSR is what completes these closeups. GT has more extreme detail but the "everything reflects everything" benefit of SSR makes this look more realistic. Metal flake seems a bit over the top but I dunno if that's realistic or not.

Yes it all agreed, I was expecting the SSR in a 60 fps racing game with GT sport but even in scape mode it obviously does not exist .. it really is a big plus for car pictures, It's a shame because with the modeling of PD it would be the top .. it still remains the PBR (radiosity)

KORNdoggy

Driveclub

driveclub_20170730201c2z8w.png

This definitely looks the nicest. But the paint is a bit too exagerated, not so much the effect, but moreso the scaling.

GT i'd say looks second best. And weirdly, forza horizon looks better than forza 6 which i wouldn't have expected, especially in autovisa. Forza 6 looks messy in comparison, at least in terms of headlight internals. Bad shaders or something?

Sebmugi

it is not perfect but it is clean, the climatic effects are what they are but if they have more impact on the gameplay than on the retina (although it is the alliance of 2 that forms the "gameplay "..) then it is won .. I would buy if I find it for not too expensive to launch.

KORNdoggy
This definitely looks the nicest. But the paint is a bit too exagerated, not so much the effect, but moreso the scaling.

GT i'd say looks second best. And weirdly, forza horizon looks better than forza 6 which i wouldn't have expected, especially in autovisa. Forza 6 looks messy in comparison, at least in terms of headlight internals. Bad shaders or something?

yes the shaders do everything, it is even more useful than a good modeling .. of course if there is both is better ..;)

it is not perfect but it is clean, the climatic effects are what they are but if they have more impact on the gameplay than on the retina (although it is the alliance of 2 that forms the "gameplay "..) then it is won .. I would buy if I find it for not too expensive to launch.

yes the shaders do everything, it is even more useful than a good modeling .. of course if there is both is better ..;)

i think it looks meh. heres another from gamersyde

looking this unimpressive on pc certainly doesnt bode well for the console versions either

thelastword

Banned
Wow, this just does not look impressive to me at all, minus the solid 60fps of course...But everything looks so drab, cars don't look all that great, especially in cockpit view, environments look very basic and lacking detail and cohesiveness. Lighting looks flat, lots of IQ issues, lots of shimmering, flickering shadows, weak textures...I don't know man, I expected much better for part two...I could swear the trailers looked a bit more vibrant than this....

Wow, this just does not look impressive to me at all, minus the solid 60fps of course...But everything looks so drab, cars don't look all that great, especially in cockpit view, environments look very basic and lacking detail and cohesiveness. Lighting looks flat, lots of IQ issues, lots of shimmering, flickering shadows, weak textures...I don't know man, I expected much better for part two...I could swear the trailers looked a bit more vibrant than this....

pcars trailers always look better than the actual game

Darkdeus

gt sport wont win any graphic awards but it looks much better than pcars 2. at the very least they managed to implement a decent aa solution

Pcars 2 has a ton of AA options. They have MSAA, SMAA, FXAA, combined with various levels of supersampling AA.

I don't see any aliasing in my shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/15539352@N02/albums/72157687605088095

EDIT: Yea that gamersyde video does look really bad in regards to aliasing. It looks much better to me with my settings.

Pcars 2 has a ton of AA options. They have MSAA, SMAA, FXAA, combined with various levels of supersampling AA.

I don't see any aliasing in my shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/15539352@N02/albums/72157687605088095

judge aliasing in motion, where all of pcars options fail miserably until the level of downsampling gets high enough which is just a monstrous waste of gpu power. gamersyde pcars videos are on a gtx1080. you can see by their own video how awful IQ is to hit 60 fps on that gpu. meanwhile gt sport on a base ps4 looks far cleaner

Top Bottom