• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

LostDonkey

pcars 2 looks embarrassing. and no playing it "at 4k maxed settings" doesnt change the fact

It kinda does. Besides that, one game is tailored to one platform only, the other is a multiplatform with fully realtime lighting, weather, Tod, Toy, higher damage modelling, larger grids....

The list goes on. Project Cars 2 looks phenomenal for the amount of content and dynamism in the game. Saying it looks embarrassing considering what they are actually doing is pathetic.

The VR mode alone needs it's own thread really because it's quite possibly the single best offering for a VR racer out there right now.

Sebmugi

GTS beta pro
gTLm2rK.gif

PC2 pro
iunIuSQ.gif

pcars 2 looks embarrassing. and no playing it "at 4k maxed settings" doesnt change the fact

Embarrassing? No way.

The game has every option you could ask for weather, time of day and date so it can give you many different results.

I have to admit that the quality of the tracks and the cars is a bit inconsistent.

But some combinations are just mind blowing (on the PC that, it seems to me that the two console exclusives GT Sport and Forza 7 are better for each platform).

In my opinion the Project CARS 2 version of Nürburgring Nordschleife is the best and in some conditions is just photo realistic. I think that it is the most impressive result I have see from a game. Not just from a racing game, from every game.

GGWeFWu.gif

Sebmugi

yes, sometimes, PC2 is really beautiful but it is the most fluctuating rendering level ... the weather also has a very basic rendering and some circuits have certainly been made very quickly seen as they are empty ...
there has the worst and the best
we will still have to wait for the next generation console to have 60 fps with dynamic weather worthy of the name .. I hope ;)

A small comparison between Project CARS 2 and Forza Motorsport 7.

- Both are from the PC version. 8K, ultra or high settings, MSAA.
- Project CARS 2 is 8K/30, Forza 7 is 8K/60 (1080Ti, 4790K, 16GB RAM).
- Recording: Project CARS 2 with Nvidia ShadowPlay @ 4K, Forza 7 with Windows game DVR @ 1080p (sadly that is the max setting).
- I know that the conditions are not exactly the same but I tried several combinations on Project CARS 2 of weather/time/date to replicate the Forza 7 demo conditions and that is the closest I managed.

KpSvqfB.gif

2rkFTuF.gif

Sebmugi

the solution for the reflections is very nice in PC2 it is in real time even with the elements not present inside of the picture (as SSR).. against it pixel much on PS4 pro ..
although they remain simple on the cars (on console I do not know what it has on pc but I have not seen blatant example)
capture from photo mode:

1506268273-project-cars-2-20170924172416.png

1506268109-project-cars-2-20170924162627.png

Hoo-doo

Banned

- Recording: Project CARS 2 with Nvidia ShadowPlay @ 4K, Forza 7 with Windows game DVR @ 1080p (sadly that is the max setting).
- I know that the conditions are not exactly the same but I tried several combinations on Project CARS 2 of weather/time/date to replicate the Forza 7 demo conditions and that is the closest I managed.

KpSvqfB.gif

2rkFTuF.gif

I can't unsee the smoke clipping non-stop in the lower body of the car in the second gif.

Gestault

I can't unsee the smoke clipping non-stop in the lower body of the car in the second gif.

I'm pretty sure that's particular to something about the gif/capture.

Edit: I just checked, that's definitely a quirk not present in the game for me. Water spray has been something that shows particularly well in the F7 demos. Like, this is zoomed forward (hence the shake) to show how far in the distance it does this, but wind conditions seem to move the water spray, as well:

Wl1fitj.gif

Momentary

Banned
I'm pretty sure that's particular to something about the gif/capture.

Edit: I just checked, that's definitely a quirk not present in the game. Water spray has been something that shows particularly well in the F7 demos. Like, this is zoomed forward (hence the shake) to show how far in the distance it does this, but wind conditions seem to move the water spray, as well:

Wl1fitj.gif

Clipping is bad when in chase views. When your inside the car, spay looks fantastic.

https://youtu.be/8qWEBh22UTc?t=208

Looks bad there.

MaLDo

Yes, pretty bad. And water trails exist only in the player car, not in AI cars. And water particles have clipping with the road too when Bioshock fixed that problem a lot of years ago using DX10. But here we are with particle clipping in DX12.

Gestault

Clipping is bad when in chase views. When your inside the car, spay looks fantastic.

https://youtu.be/8qWEBh22UTc?t=208

Looks bad there.

I'm saying I personally checked this on both standard XB1 and on PC, neither version has that clipping. This my my own footage:

IY3TwHZ.gif

3Wxsw5C.gif

I looked at each stage of the race, and I'm not able to re-create that banded clipping effect. I hadn't encountered it at all in the demo. The earlier poster's clip even shows the particle clipping on the road surface, which again, isn't in any version I've encountered.

I'm saying I personally checked this on both standard XB1 and on PC, neither version has that clipping. This my my own footage:

IY3TwHZ.gif

3Wxsw5C.gif

I looked at each stage of the race, and I'm not able to re-create that banded clipping effect. I hadn't encountered it at all in the demo. The earlier poster's clip even shows the particle clipping on the road surface, which again, isn't in any version I've encountered.

Have you checked it on the pit straight. I see the clipping on PC with a GTX 1070 latest drivers, max settings. Could be a settings bug.

Gestault

Have you checked it on the pit straight. I see the clipping on PC with a GTX 1070 latest drivers, max settings. Could be a settings bug.

This is it there (you can see the warmer lighting on the particles):

OhAoWwX.gif

Just based on comparing this to the XB1 version and some other footage I've seen, I've only seen that banding in your footage.

Different video card/settings perhaps?

The spray lines are much more noticeable in the vid and the cars ahead all are showing spray vs the other gif where its only the first two cars in front.

Just for reference, mine showing the wind blowing the car-sprays ahead is literally less than 1/16th of the screen area. That's cropped like crazy. I think we're both on 1070s for the PC footage.

l2ounD

In my opinion the Project CARS 2 version of Nürburgring Nordschleife is the best and in some conditions is just photo realistic. I think that it is the most impressive result I have see from a game. Not just from a racing game, from every game.

GGWeFWu.gif

Wow you put PCs Ring at the top? That gif does look amazing though.

I'd go with PD's lighting and Racerooms track accuracy.

Just for reference, mine showing the wind blowing the car-sprays ahead is literally less than 1/16th of the screen area. That's cropped like crazy. I think we're both on 1070s for the PC footage.

I wonder why the spray line in the vid is much thicker, looks kinda off, its much nicer in your gif.

Just checked, happens all over. I just remembered it more on the pit straight.

Here it is in still form. Honestly thought it was just T10's jank and that's how it is. What settings are you on? I have every thing on and up to the fullest except mirror reflections are one step down from the highest setting.

hk5c.png

Also the tyre spray is much whiter than your gif. Mine match the kostacurtas gif.

The issue with Forza's spray is pretty odd. As far as I know I have the cut off particles in the demo too, but I know for a fact that they're fine for me in FH3.

I know that another user correctly stated that soft particles have been possible since at least the DirectX10 days, so that + FH3 having them and FM7 Demo not having them is strange to me. It also seems that the particles are correct in the E3 footage I'm looking at, so maybe it's just a quirk with the demo?

I'm gonna test and post pics from both FH3 and FM7 just to make sure everything's clear.

Looks like I was right, it is there in FH3 (although the spray is less intense so it's harder to see).

Both are the PC versions, running at fully maxed out settings, all dynamic options off, 3840x2160 downsampled to 1080p. FH3 is running at 4xMSAA, FM7 is running at 2xMSAA.

What Turn10 continue to pull out of a console with a Jaguar CPU, 1.3tflop GPU and 5GB's of usable slow memory is only rivalled by Nintendo's mastery of their own weak ass hardware imo. Forza 7 on XBO looks unbelievable!

What Turn10 continue to pull out of a console with a Jaguar CPU, 1.3tflop GPU and 5GB's of usable slow memory is only rivalled by Nintendo's mastery of their own weak ass hardware imo. Forza 7 on XBO looks unbelievable!

Ms teams in general are very good at squeezing the little fat box XD

Xbonex, while being more straightfoward for 3rd parties as well, so perhaps they won't be that much better than others, I can't wait to see what they are going to push in a few years once they get a hang of the machine.

As someone who's done hundreds of Nordschleife laps on different laserscanned versions and as someone who thinks pCARS2 looks damn great especially when different ToD + seasons with different sun angles and leaf colors are used, I still have to say:
The pCARS and pCARS Nordschleife is the worst looking with the least love for detail when compared to Forza 5/6, GTS, iRacing, Assetto Corsa and RaceRoom. With GTS and RaceRoom at the top of the list, followed by iRacing, AC and Forza.
All the curbs in pCARS have a bit of a last-gen feel to them and the chalk and sprayer tags on track and trackside show the least love of detail.
The dynamic lighting saves pCARS2 a bit, it's also more accurate than in pCARS1 now (and that it has FOV options, not some Quake III speed-vision fixed FOV like Forza and GTS, goddamnit!)

Gestault

Are those flashing squares beneath the car in the FM7 shot supposed to be ... water spray? It just looks bizarre.

If you look back at the discussion, you'll see it's a glitch in a user's setup where the spray isn't filtering right. Normally it doesn't look like that.

All of these games look amazing. People saying one or another is trash is some next level fan boy hyperbole. I might need to play some FH3 tonight.

Are those flashing squares beneath the car in the FM7 shot supposed to be ... water spray? It just looks bizarre.

No. I think they are supposed to represent something else? I think T10 must have been originally going for some kind of fantasy setting (which must have been scrapped upon release?) where cars were floating on magical fantasy clouds. It seems like an abandoned attempt to convey a sense of mysticism and hyper-reality. Maybe some kind of attempt to strike into the player's consciousness, and in doing so exposing them to another level beyond the experience of driving? The bizarre nature of it just boggles my mind. I really can't see what they are trying to convey with that effect.

cakely

No. I think they are supposed to represent something else? I think T10 must have been originally going for some kind of fantasy setting (which must have been scrapped upon release?) where cars were floating on magical fantasy clouds. It seems like an abandoned attempt to convey a sense of mysticism and hyper-reality. Maybe some kind of attempt to strike into the player's consciousness, and in doing so exposing them to another level beyond the experience of driving? The bizarre nature of it just boggles my mind. I really can't see what they are trying to convey with that effect.

You tried, anyway.

leeh

KpSvqfB.gif

2rkFTuF.gif
Nice comparison! It's weird to see Forza looking better & more realistic than other games, but it certainly does there!

That water spray cloud is definitely a bug. It doesn't look like that on XBO.

GT Sport Beta 1.08 vs Project CARS 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution at Willow Springs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X461M2mRl3c

WHth0Aj.jpg

GT Sport definitely has the better overall graphics advantage here but the driving looks so sterile.

PC2 seems to apply most of their resources onto the car and the actual road of the track. That appears to give an better visual representation of the driving experience.

Does GT-S have any footage where the dash is not dark and somewhat obscured?

KORNdoggy

GT Sport Beta 1.08 vs Project CARS 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution at Willow Springs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X461M2mRl3c

WHth0Aj.jpg

i really don't like PCARS car shake. it's a tarmac race track, not a fucking dirt road. lol

visually it isn't even close though. GTS just looks way better. better colours, better details, better lighting (albiet not dynamic) the actual environment in PCARS looks like it was ripped from last gen.

nelo_inc

i really don't like PCARS car shake. it's a tarmac race track, not a fucking dirt road. lol

visually it isn't even close though. GTS just looks way better. better colours, better details, better lighting (albiet not dynamic) the actual environment in PCARS looks like it was ripped from last gen.

Agree, i started playing PCARS2 yesterday and thought they would at least give us an option to deactivate the car shake.

I was hoping for a much higher improvement on graphics but it looks just the same.
GTS is still king in this department, the lightning is perfect.

thelastword

Banned

KpSvqfB.gif

2rkFTuF.gif
I really don't like the splash effect under the Nissan's tires in Forza 7. It looks like the car is driving over salt water.

I do like the reflections on the bumper of the PC2 car though.
GTS beta pro
gTLm2rK.gif

PC2 pro
iunIuSQ.gif
Don't get me wrong, I love vehicles behaving properly to road surface bumps and undulations, but is that track in question so bumpy as shown by the PC2 gif?

Just checked, happens all over. I just remembered it more on the pit straight.

Here it is in still form. Honestly thought it was just T10's jank and that's how it is. What settings are you on? I have every thing on and up to the fullest except mirror reflections are one step down from the highest setting.

hk5c.png

Also the tyre spray is much whiter than your gif. Mine match the kostacurtas gif.
I think a more translucent spray as shown by Gestault would be more accurate, maybe it's because there's less water in his pic, but that white splash looks very odd.

Sebmugi

Originally Posted by dumb

GTS beta pro

PC2 pro

Don't get me wrong, I love vehicles behaving properly to road surface bumps and undulations, but is that track in question so bumpy as shown by the PC2 gif?

in addition to the deformations of the road I decelerate and I put the throttle back with the car, which also provides some vibrations during the video ^

ShapeGSX

Do people think driving a race car on a track is a smooth experience? Really?

Go look up some videos of cars on tracks and see how much vibration is going on in those cars.

The camera mount makes a big difference here, though. The human body is a huge active vibration reducing shock absorber and motion compensator. It smooths out a lot of stuff that a rigid camera mount would accentuate.

Top Bottom