• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

The camera mount makes a big difference here, though. The human body is a huge active vibration reducing shock absorber and motion compensator. It smooths out a lot of stuff that a rigid camera mount would accentuate.

That's true. But we're playing a game that's trying to simulate real life. Your argument would legitimize the camera shake from all angles except the driver cockpit view specifically.

Even so, the environment is shaking around the driver and the games are trying to simulate that. I don't think less shaking is the answer.

I would like them focus on make the steering vibrate more as a good simulator of the effect but then some would say their cars don't shake like that either.

Gestault

with a controller ;) my old wheel is not compatible with the new consoles .. I would reinvest in a wheel may be later...

I haven't found an "omg this is amazing" wheel yet. I think I like my older wheel better than the one I bought new for current-gen. Don't be in a rush to get one, lol.

Noobcraft

Don't get me wrong, I love vehicles behaving properly to road surface bumps and undulations, but is that track in question so bumpy as shown by the PC2 gif?
The nurburgring is notoriously bumpy and unforgiving. These cars have track suspensions which are tuned for traction, not comfort. GT Sport is way too smooth.

Gestault

The nurburgring is notoriously bumpy and unforgiving. These cars have track suspensions which are tuned for traction, not comfort. GT Sport is way too smooth.

I was going to say, one standard quality of race suspension and tuning is that it hates your ass. Suspensions are "tightened" to minimize any sort of body roll and bounce that might undulate grip. Race driving on smooth tarmac feels closer to driving a consumer car on roads stripped for resurfacing. God rest your ass.

Sebmugi

I would like to be able to try the new wheel special for GT sport..because it is a little bit expensive .. so if it does not suit me, I do not take .. ^^

Gestault

Highly, although here is a "but" sadly. The pedals are mediocre and you don't get a shifter (separate purchase). The wheel is fantastic though.

I had to literally disassemble and use a hobby-knife to trim part of the brake mechanism on the G920. Anything is a step up, lol.

7MQaCH2.gif

GLRfpiG.gif

Neith

Banned
Not really all that impressed with PCars 2. It looks good. But after Driveclub weather just looks pretty iffy on some games.

I really hope GTS can polish itself up a lot here in the coming couple months during release and after.

thelastword

Banned
yeah I'm really digging the environmental details in PC2.

Man, that GTS gif just makes me sad
I don't see what's wrong with it, you know no car shakes on a straight like that, I see no bumps in the road there, nothing is depicted on the track...There is no reason for such heavy shaking in PC2, it's almost like the bonnet is loose from the chassis.

I don't see what's wrong with it, you know no car shakes on a straight like that, I see no bumps in the road there, nothing is depicted on the track...There is no reason for such heavy shaking in PC2, it's almost like the bonnet is loose from the chassis.

In GTS camera is "glued" to the hood and is completely static in relation to the car. In PC2 camera is bobbing, kinda like drivers head would be. I think PC2 looks a lot more natural and this is why all racing games are doing PC2 way, and not GTS way. GTS fixed camera looks very odd and I never liked that in GT games.

God damn same old screeching noises in the GT game. They actually take over the engine noise and all I hear is that annoying screeching sound from past GTs. In PC2 the screeching noise is more subtle and believable . Graphically GTS >>>>> PC2. Sound PC2 > GTS.

Fix this shit PD !!!!

I've come to the conclusion that sound and AI will always be subpar in GT games. The pessimistic side of me thinks that GT Sport is going with the online focus to remove the need for AI. No need for AI without any real career/offline racing, right?

Not really all that impressed with PCars 2. It looks good. But after Driveclub weather just looks pretty iffy on some games.

I really hope GTS can polish itself up a lot here in the coming couple months during release and after.

The way rain is blown in gusts across the tracks in PCars2 is really fantastic. Different densities of rain fall and get blasted sideways by the wind. It's really great to see in action.

Driveclub's weather might be dramatic and pleasing for graphics fans, but it's nothing like really driving in weather.

GT Sport's pit stop looks great, I'd say easily the best of the 3, not surprising though with how much detail PD can put into their games.

PC's 2 also looks great, not quite on the same level as GT but it's still decent.

Wow at Forza. I'm surprised how bad that looks, having no pit crew looks weird, considering how good the rest of the game looks.

God damn same old screeching noises in the GT game. They actually take over the engine noise and all I hear is that annoying screeching sound from past GTs. In PC2 the screeching noise is more subtle and believable . Graphically GTS >>>>> PC2. Sound PC2 > GTS.

Fix this shit PD !!!!

They did. The TGS build has overhauled tire sounds and overall better mixing.

eso76

Damn, T10.
It doesn't look like it would be too hard at all to handle pitstop the way GTS does.
It's basically a cutscene that starts the moment you enter the pit lane.
It's a well thought series of cuts so the game never has to deal with the crew 'pathfinding' their way to the tires (with all the different cars that could be a real pain in the ass).
There's so many ways it could be done with a little effort. Heck, you could do it without even showing any actual interaction between crew and car.

And didn't the announcement trailer show a lot of pit activity ? Lol.

Sini

Wtf.. calm down dude. He's actually adding cool things to the thread

I've visited this thread three times since he has posted that gif and it still hasn't loaded fully yet. Gifs are enormous and take forever to load.
Even on the very first page people already told to prefer other formats instead.

l2ounD

I've visited this thread three times since he has posted that gif and it still hasn't loaded fully yet. Gifs are enormous and take forever to load.
Even on the very first page people already told to prefer other formats instead.

So because you cant handle the gifs, that was your response? Come on guy. There are better ways to ask for things.

jett

D-Member

lol

There's a guy in this forum that goes around posting 4K gifs.

4K gifs.

I'm gonna do you a solid and introduce to neogfy, an add-on that turns gifs posted here into webms and mp4s.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/neogfy/chdcldnkcjgoogmnidgcpmdkdaopepgf?hl=en
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/neogfy/

dVeLoPe

does this game support family sharing? PROJECT CARS 2

my friend is considering getting it and I want to try it out aswell

sorry thought I posted in the OT for that game.

also what are you guys thoughts on NFS PAYBACK??

Next-gen always means current-gen unless you're talking Nintendo when it means next-gen.

On-topic.

Rarely play them, but I don't know how much further we can really push racing games in the visual sense, aside from environmental amenities. Like more flora and fauna, and spectators.

These games look almost real at times.

Top Bottom