• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

BigLee74

GT7 2.0 PS5 gameplay

1698923868-gran-turismo-tm-7-20231102112512.jpg

1698923879-gran-turismo-tm-7-20231102112329.jpg

1698923882-gran-turismo-tm-7-20231102112758.jpg

1698923889-gran-turismo-tm-7-20231102112559.jpg

1698923895-gran-turismo-tm-7-20231102112352.jpg

1698923901-gran-turismo-tm-7-20231102112922.jpg

Forza Horizon 3 Blizzard Mountain did it better years ago!

blue velvet

The new track looks so good

PD needs to update their collision sound in the next game. The collision sounds like two container drums being hit together.

GT7 2.0 PS5 Photomode

1698924093-gran-turismo-tm-7-20231102102415.jpg
I'm playing RDR 2 right now and this reminds me of the snowy area in the game. Hopefully, they add tessellation with their dirt/snow physics in GT8 because as of right now it's just flat ground.

Last edited:
Xbox and PS5 are doing pretty well for the power they have. This gives me Driveclub vibes.
Was about to mention that, even the presentation and font used reminded me of DC. I like Assetto Corsa but haven't touched it in years... It might be the time to go back and revisit it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
How real is this though? Like are there gameplay clips with this visual fidelity?

It's not real. Cars and lighting really look that good but environments in Assetto Corsa look like late PS2 / early PS3 game. You can hide it using clever editing (like in that video) but when you're playing the game it's just painful. The highs are 2 generations above other games but the lows are 2 generations behind. It just doesn't look right during normal play.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Been playing GT7 again since the update, still a stunning game but the pop in is a lot worse than Forza. Things it does better though even though the trees are flatter, the light penetration through the leaves is brilliant touch. Driving through heavy tree areas and the sun light coming through the back of the leaves looks so good.

Also image quality in GT is so much better. Everything is sharper and cleaner looking. Really dropped the ball with that in Forza.

Last edited:

nikos

It's not real. Cars and lighting really look that good but environments in Assetto Corsa look like late PS2 / early PS3 game. You can hide it using clever editing (like in that video) but when you're playing the game it's just painful. The highs are 2 generations above other games but the lows are 2 generations behind. It just doesn't look right during normal play.

That doesn't sound like my experience with AC at all. Only time I can think of this being the case is on a downloaded track that's early in development or uses poor assets. Sure these videos make things look a lot more exciting but to say tracks are two generations behind isn't accurate, at least not with CSP, Pure, a good PP filter (as seen in that video) etc.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That doesn't sound like my experience with AC at all. Only time I can think of this being the case is on a downloaded track that's early in development or uses poor assets. Sure these videos make things look a lot more exciting but to say tracks are two generations behind isn't accurate, at least not with CSP, Pure, a good PP filter (as seen in that video) etc.

Ugly 2D trees and crowds, buildings that look like cardboard cut-outs and stuff like that. Yes, it's not so visible when you're speeding down the track. More so in replays and in photo-mode where you have to be creative with your camera angles to hide it. Don't get me wrong, it looks good but it's not all sunshine and roses as these hugely edited videos would make one believe.

SimTourist

Some tracks the upgrade is not that massive over PS3 titles aside from trees, considering that Fuji was available in GT5 Prologue, so 2007 to 2023. But also shows that PD's lighting engine has been right on the money for a long time, so much that a switch from old manual shaders to physically based lighting is not as dramatic as most other games. Also PD's track modelling has always been more accurate than Forzas.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Some pretty nice improvements after patch 2.0. Higher quality RT reflections and lots of bug fixes like the missing badges on some cars. Also saw some track improvements here and there. And the brightness settings are again changed for me lol.
65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

Car reflections on player car
Forza-Motorsport-14-11-2023-22-10-59.jpg

Car reflections on ai cars
Forza-Motorsport-14-11-2023-22-03-20.jpg

Some pretty nice improvements after patch 2.0. Higher quality RT reflections and lots of bug fixes like the missing badges on some cars. Also saw some track improvements here and there. And the brightness settings are again changed for me lol.
65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

Car reflections on player car
Forza-Motorsport-14-11-2023-22-10-59.jpg

Car reflections on ai cars
Forza-Motorsport-14-11-2023-22-03-20.jpg
Is that only on PC Turk? What's your impression of the new track?

Darsxx82

In XSX, cutscenes and rolling start now work at 60fps (previously at 30fps). And it could be placebo but I think the lighting has been tweaked in some way.

MikeM

Whats the consensus on GT7 vs FM8? GT7 is on sale for Black Friday. I have a high end PC but FM keeps crashing post race.

I’m looking for the complete picture- sound, attention to detail like car mods, and curious about the Dualsense.

Whats the consensus on GT7 vs FM8? GT7 is on sale for Black Friday. I have a high end PC but FM keeps crashing post race.

I’m looking for the complete picture- sound, attention to detail like car mods, and curious about the Dualsense.

GT7. FM8 is like a half-game. There's barely any content. GT at least has interesting car history, cafe mode, etc.

Check out FM8 in like two years and see how far its come.

Zathalus

iRacing or Assetto Corsa Competizione if you want the best simulation racers out there. GT7 is better then FM8 if you just compare those two.

Turk1993

I made a FM7 vs FM (2023) Yas Marina comparison in day and night time. FM7 had baked shadows on all tracks for the environments. So when they changed the lighting in FM7 on Yas Marina they didn't update the shadows with the new lighting/ tod. The track is 80% the same as in FM7 but the new improved lighting, shaders, reflections, foliage and textures make a big difference. Only place where i noticed something worse in FM (2023) was in the first image the wall texture on top left where the crowds are and the McLaren logo in the cockpit is not reflective. I do like the white balance in FM7 more than the warm white balance in FM (2023).

Warning picture heavy!

FM7 left / FM (2023) right

Day time

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

91.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

Night Time
82.jpg

83.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

73.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

81.jpg

80.jpg

hlm666

Is he releasing updates for PURE 222 ?

I'm conflicted about using this or the new SKYDC
I chop and change all the time so probably not the best to ask because I can't even make my own mind up ;) I'm using skydc at the moment. I wasn't using those videos to say pure was better or worse, someone wanted gameplay videos and that version of skydc had only just released and didn't want to muck around for too long looking for a video.

Turk1993

Just as i expected, John compared them for more than 70% in photomode and replays where 1 game gets seriously enhanced and the other don't. And i think that he finally saw my posts lol since he admited that the car models gets enhanced in GT7 during photomode and that Forza has higher quality car models during gameplay. Also he should know that when you zoom in in photomode Forza's tracks side details lods don't get enhanced like in GT7 when he did that tree comparison. For me that 30% of gameplay comparison was better than the one's with photomode since thats how they would look when you are playing. Also shame that he didn't capture them in HDR which makes both games look much much better.

However i do agree with him on 95% of what he said. On console i also think that GT7 looks a bit cleaner and better thanks to the more natural and sharper look. FM on console has too many sacrifices like low res iq, low quality textures, low quality reflections, low quality shadows, lower quality ai cars, lower quality clouds, almost no grass in RT performance mode and performance mode. But some of his footage has broken RTAO and RT reflections which happend in the old build in freeplay. They have fixed those issues in newer versions on pc but im not sure if its the same on console. So im not sure if he used the latest version when he compared them. And the material work and details on the cars in GT7 is just unmatched. Wish they would use the higher quality models during gameplay in time trial or free play whenever you are playing with only 1 car on track (similar to what FM did with FM4 til FM6 on Xbox One).

Overall its a very good comparison and he used actuall RL photo's to compare the real world tracks which showed that GT7 is more accurate to RL like we all knew. Even with some of the things i don't agree with him or things that he is wrong, its a very good video and i appreciate it since i know how much time it can take to make those comparison as close as possible. And props to him for calling out a winner. Tbh i expected him to spin the story to call it a draw.

This vidoe also just showed me how much better FM looks on pc now with all the updates it got, the textures, shadows, reflections, effects and track details (outside missing grass compared to visual mode) are much beter in the pc version after update 2.0. With Update 3.0 things got even better since they fixed most of the missing/broken car detail issues and RT problems that didn't work properly. The difference gonna be bigger when they add RTGI on pc.

you-have-done-good-work-nice-work.gif

Turk1993

Is there any official word at all about that? dates?
This right before launch

“We're still committed to bringing [ray-traced global illumination] to the players. I might not be there on Day 1, but it is a technology that we think adds a lot to the game, and we will bring it in a future update. We do see Forza Motorsport as being a live title and we plan to keep bringing you new features and new technology with it.”

Neo_game

So just played FM 2023...

Turn 10 has gone downhill.

I'll leave it at that.

Edited to be less violent.

This reboot was suppose to get Forza back but it has got worse. I wish we could get sales number for this game, they peaked at Forza4 and the down hill trend is still continuing.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Just as i expected, John compared them for more than 70% in photomode and replays where 1 game gets seriously enhanced and the other don't. And i think that he finally saw my posts lol since he admited that the car models gets enhanced in GT7 during photomode and that Forza has higher quality car models during gameplay. Also he should know that when you zoom in in photomode Forza's tracks side details lods don't get enhanced like in GT7 when he did that tree comparison. For me that 30% of gameplay comparison was better than the one's with photomode since thats how they would look when you are playing. Also shame that he didn't capture them in HDR which makes both games look much much better.

However i do agree with him on 95% of what he said. On console i also think that GT7 looks a bit cleaner and better thanks to the more natural and sharper look. FM on console has too many sacrifices like low res iq, low quality textures, low quality reflections, low quality shadows, lower quality ai cars, lower quality clouds, almost no grass in RT performance mode and performance mode. But some of his footage has broken RTAO and RT reflections which happend in the old build in freeplay. They have fixed those issues in newer versions on pc but im not sure if its the same on console. So im not sure if he used the latest version when he compared them. And the material work and details on the cars in GT7 is just unmatched. Wish they would use the higher quality models during gameplay in time trial or free play whenever you are playing with only 1 car on track (similar to what FM did with FM4 til FM6 on Xbox One).

Overall its a very good comparison and he used actuall RL photo's to compare the real world tracks which showed that GT7 is more accurate to RL like we all knew. Even with some of the things i don't agree with him or things that he is wrong, its a very good video and i appreciate it since i know how much time it can take to make those comparison as close as possible. And props to him for calling out a winner. Tbh i expected him to spin the story to call it a draw.

This vidoe also just showed me how much better FM looks on pc now with all the updates it got, the textures, shadows, reflections, effects and track details (outside missing grass compared to visual mode) are much beter in the pc version after update 2.0. With Update 3.0 things got even better since they fixed most of the missing/broken car detail issues and RT problems that didn't work properly. The difference gonna be bigger when they add RTGI on pc.

you-have-done-good-work-nice-work.gif
Came to say basically the same. Photo mode comparison, what a let down. why is he not zooming in 400% in gameplay like they normally do.

Anyway yeah I've got to give it to GT7 overall, the love that has gone into it, fair play to them. Although a lot of the time I do think the lighting on FM looks more realistic, GT7 at times can look really gamey with the deep coloured cars with the Sega blue skys (which I quite like tbh) but can also look amazing at times.

FukuDaruma

This right before launch

“We're still committed to bringing [ray-traced global illumination] to the players. I might not be there on Day 1, but it is a technology that we think adds a lot to the game, and we will bring it in a future update. We do see Forza Motorsport as being a live title and we plan to keep bringing you new features and new technology with it.”

Launch was already more than 2 months ago. So they didn't say anything at all about the missing RTGI since? 🤦🏻

The balls on these companies. FROM said the same about raytracing in Elden Ring and they took more than year to release a shitty patch that made the game run even worse. Let's see how much time Turn 10 take to release a feature they used to promote their game as 'state of the art' 'next gen' tech.

Turk1993

Launch was already more than 2 months ago. So they didn't say anything at all about the missing RTGI since? 🤦🏻

The balls on these companies. FROM said the same about raytracing in Elden Ring and they took more than year to release a shitty patch that made the game run even worse. Let's see how much time Turn 10 take to release a feature they used to promote their game as 'state of the art' 'next gen' tech.
Im sure it wil come at some point early next year, just like the RT in FH5. But right now im not sure if they prioritise it over other things like bugs and other important stuff like tracks and cars. Just look how many improvements they made on the pc version with only 2 patches. The game could easily launched like this or better if they had put some effort in the pc version in the first place. They have the tools, they have the power, they have the money, they had the time and yet they are lacking the passion and experience.

Top Bottom