• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Merguson

Banned
People complaining about the Hyman contract are just looking for something to complain about. No, he's not an efficient scorer. That line with Matthews works because of his board work and few players with his role are as speedy as he is.

and that Ben Smith contract? don't get me started on that but its the start of the downfall right there

edit: on a different note

would the NHL get more offer sheets if teams weren't required to give up any compensation?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Matthews' production and possession drops substantially without Hyman.

That's mainly at the fault of babcock, though.

Nylander is a LW/C but is played RW/C on Leafs

This forced our LWers to be the following: Hyman, JVR, Komarov, Martin
Hyman is the only LW that actually drives possession.

Then there's that weird post PK line where Kadri is at LW. All of this was bad for many reasons. For some strange reason, it was the LD giving outlet passes to LW but almost never RD to RW. It was bizarre. It was a big reason we had defensive issues because Nylander, Marner are our offense generators but they rarely led play. Polak was mainly the player on the ice with those lines and you remember how many icings there were, right?

The lines weren't set up right. Plays weren't set up right. Marleau existing is going to allow the Leafs have options now.

yyzjohn

Banned
and that Ben Smith contract? don't get me started on that but its the start of the downfall right there

edit: on a different note

would the NHL get more offer sheets if teams weren't required to give up any compensation?

What kind of rule is that? Not giving up any compensation is UFA so you're basically advocating UFA at an earlier age.

zroid

Banned
The thing about offer sheets is the compensation is pretty negligible except for the 1st round picks. And if the 1st is outside the top 10, then the player you're getting SHOULD absolutely make it worthwhile.

You might get more offer sheets from basement dwelling teams without comp, but I don't see why a playoff team should consider the comp too high a price in almost any situation.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The thing about offer sheets is the compensation is pretty negligible except for the 1st round picks. And if the 1st is outside the top 10, then the player you're getting SHOULD absolutely make it worthwhile.

You might get more offer sheets from basement dwelling teams without comp, but I don't see why a playoff team should consider the comp too high a price in almost any situation.

Yeah basically what happens in the NBA, the bottom feeder teams are the ones offering the monster offer sheets cause they have the room and need players.

Quick

Banned
Offer sheets are dishonourable even though it's part of the rules!

You should be ashamed of you even think about doing it.

Alucard

Banned
Preds anthem singer salt and shenanigans.

Frederick Breedon / Getty Images Sport / Getty
Anthem singer says he's done performing at Predators games
Josh Gold-SmithJul 8 2017, 12:03 PM
Good night, Nashville. There will be no encore.

The Predators' longtime anthem singer, Dennis K. Morgan, says the team hasn't asked him to return to his role and he wouldn't accept an invitation anyway after being replaced by a slew of country stars this spring.

"No one has contacted me from the Predators," Morgan told The Andrew Walker Show on Sportsnet 590 The FAN on Friday. "My contract expired last Friday, and I assume I'm done, in fact I know I am, because even in the unlikely event I was invited back, I don't want to have an association with the organization any longer just because of this."

He first expressed his disappointment with the club back in May, as the Predators were in the midst of a playoff run that culminated in the franchise's first-ever trip to the Stanley Cup Final.

During this time, the club summoned several big-name acts to handle anthem duties, including Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan, Trisha Yearwood and Kelly Clarkson, thereby upstaging Morgan, who lamented being replaced by A-listers - particularly "the captain's wife."

Morgan insisted Friday he's not interested in taking aim at the organization and just wanted to tell his side of the story, while letting other teams know that he's available for hire.

"I'm not trying to drag the Preds' name through the mud like mine has been dragged through the mud," he said. "I just want a chance to clear my own name (and) let people know I'm not the evil, arrogant jerk I've been portrayed as, and (I'd) love to fill in for teams elsewhere in the NHL if they have an anthem singer who can't make it one night."

Morgan performed the anthems at Bridgestone Arena more than 185 times over the years, according to The Tennessean's Kirk A. Bado.

Yawnier

Banned
I am quitting anime for gud.

i_dont_believe_you.gif

Merguson

Banned
Yeah basically what happens in the NBA, the bottom feeder teams are the ones offering the monster offer sheets cause they have the room and need players.

Is that a bad thing though?

I'm just tired of this offer sheet "honor code" stupidity.

Look at John Chayka parading out Derek Stephan as his fucking number one centre when there are players such as Ryan Johansen and Leon Draisaitl waiting on contracts.

yyzjohn

Banned
Is that a bad thing though?

I'm just tired of this offer sheet "honor code" stupidity.

Look at John Chayka parading out Derek Stephan as his fucking number one centre when there are players such as Ryan Johansen and Leon Draisaitl waiting on contracts.

You have to be sure that signing that one guy is turning you from a lottery team into a playoff team. 4 first round lottery pics would be a huge price to pay if you sign a Draisaitl and continue to suck.

Merguson

Banned
You have to be sure that signing that one guy is turning you from a lottery team into a playoff team. 4 first round lottery pics would be a huge price to pay if you sign a Draisaitl and continue to suck.

So why not remove compensation from offer sheets if thats the sticking point for GMs? The Oilers had a good full year to sign Draisaitl without the threat of offer sheets anyways. The players should have more options. The offer sheet isn't a direct option for them, but it's something they would hope GMs use way more.

Parch

Oilers get their vet. Jokinen for 1.1 looks like a pretty good deal and apparently he had several offers but chose Edmonton. He replaces Pouliot and adds nice versatility in a bottom 6 role. The added bonus is that he has skated with Puljujarvi in the summers and could be a very good mentor for him.

Top Bottom