• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Delryk

Yeah, I've read some stuff that makes the deal look more positive for the team than I'm laying it out to be, but I still think the NTC was completely unnecessary.

I don't see a problem with the NTC.. even if he wouldn't be able to get going like last year with Matthews for some reason... 2.25mil is 3rd line salary and if he's not on Matthews' line thats where he'd end up.

Delryk

I don't even think kapanen will ever score over 30

20-25 g 30-35 a

Is where i think his rough ceiling is

Which is more than I expect!... he's a plus on PP and PK too so it's all good. even our 2nd line PP will be impressive again.. daaamnn.

looks like Soshnikov is the odd man out again for the start of the season... Kapanen isn't Waiver exempt but Soshnikov is for another 3 NHL games.. lol

Freidman talked about the Duchene situation regarding numerous offers so far and he's totally right about all of it.
https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/7/7/15933566/matt-duchene-trade-talks
“Duchene…some people rip the Avalanche and they say they’re being obstinate. Their perspective is – look, one of the guys Columbus was talking about was Ryan Murray. And I really don’t like where I’m going to go with this because I have a bad feeling it’s going to be totally misinterpreted because I don’t want to insult Ryan Murray. But the way Colorado looks at it is he is their fifth defenseman. ‘We’re not trading Matt Duchene for a fifth defenseman.’

Now, I don’t think that Ryan Murray is a fifth defenseman. I think on that team he has become one. And he has become expendable. They look at Werenski. They look at Savard. Look at their trade for Seth Jones. They’ve got a couple of really good young kids coming. They’ve kept their veteran in Jack Johnson. So in Columbus’ eyes, Murray has fallen down their depth chart. And I think Colorado looks at that and says, ‘Why are we going to make a deal for a guy, yes he can help us, but it’s not really hurting them to give him up.’

I hope that doesn’t get misconstrued as an insult to Ryan Murray because that’s not what I mean by it. I’m just saying he’s not one of their top D. So I think that’s kind of part of the problem, is they look at it and say, ‘Well we need more than that.’”

Plenty more at the link.

imBask

Banned
Kapenen has 1 point in 17 NHL games

Dopey's prediction : 20-25g 30-35a a year

Jacob De La Rose has 7 points in 64 gamesr

My prediction : rougly 40-45g, 60-70a a year

STATS
ARE
STATS

Quick

Banned
Are you dudes actually unhappy with what the Leafs are doing? Or is this just a reflexive response because we're so used to the team doing stupid, awful things.

I think a lot of my negativity stems from the latter. It's reflexive for me at this point lol.

yyzjohn

Banned

STATS
ARE
STATS

You have to have *some* Leafs player to label as a bust after you miserably failed on Nylander right?

I have no idea what the Avs are expecting for Duchene, especially when he's less valuable than ever.

Why don't they just keep him? Does he want out or something?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

STATS
ARE
STATS

I didn't say Kapanen's point totals were per year, just his absolute maximum.

He could get higher or never achieve anywhere near. It's hard to say because he hasn't been put into situations at the NHL level where he can score on the regular.

imBask

Banned
I didn't say Kapanen's point totals were per year, just his absolute maximum.

He could get higher or never achieve anywhere near. It's hard to say because he hasn't been put into situations at the NHL level where he can score on the regular.

gotcha, you gotta be clearer than that then because i'm still shocked by your 100 points prediction for Nylander so I actually expected you to predict 20-25g a year for Kapanen, please understand

yyzjohn

Banned
gotcha, you gotta be clearer than that then because i'm still shocked by your 100 points prediction for Nylander so I actually expected you to predict 20-25g a year for Kapanen, please understand

Nylander is at 74 career points so he only needs 26 to reach 100. Maybe that's what Dopey had in mind. :)

I have no idea what the Avs are expecting for Duchene, especially when he's less valuable than ever.

Why don't they just keep him? Does he want out or something?
His agent was actively trying to get a deal done between the Avs and other teams. So it's pretty clear he wants out, although he hasn't demanded a trade.

zroid

Banned
Are you dudes actually unhappy with what the Leafs are doing? Or is this just a reflexive response because we're so used to the team doing stupid, awful things.

I'll be honest, I am pretty unhappy. For a while it was easy to dismiss these "small bad moves" but it's getting harder for me. I'm not going to give the Leafs management credit for winning a draft lottery; that could easily have gone the other way.

What exactly have they done in the last 18 months or so to instill confidence in fans? The last time I was impressed with this management group was when they traded Phaneuf. That was unquestionably a strong move. After that they signed Rielly and Kadri to good contracts. That's fine, but how much credit should I really give them for that? Rielly was easy, and Kadri was signed to a great deal, but he was coming off a down year. I would have been really mad if they did something stupid like sell low on him, but if I'm being honest, I'm not going to sing their praises just because they didn't do something dumb.

Other than that it's all been a bunch of crap. Re-signing Polak, signing Matt Martin, two very sketchy drafts outside of the first round, a dubious contract for Hyman, signing Marleau to a ridiculously overpriced 35+ contract with a full NMC, and signing Hainsey as a "top 4 man". None of these moves are going to kill them but it's adding up, and if they're doing dumb things now, why should I assume they won't do more dumb things in the future when the stakes are higher?

I'm not calling for anyone's job (yet), but it's past the stage where I'm willing to give Lou and his guys the benefit of the doubt.

(this post ended up being more of a rant than I intended, sorry)

edit: I'll add this. If they lock up Nylander this summer long term, that will help earn back some of their credibility in my mind.

yyzjohn

Banned
With all the talk about McDavid's contract and how it'll eventually effect Matthews and the Leafs, where the fuck is the talk about Eichel's next deal? He's in the same boat as McDavid, final year of his ELC upcoming...

imBask

Banned
It'll be interesting to watch since I think Matthews will be somewhere between Eichel and McDavid. Funny nobody has really mentioned Eichel's contract.

if I was a Sabres fan i'd be a little concern, this team got fucked so many times they might just go ahead and overpay to make sure he never ever leaves this town

which would also be bad for Matthews, since it would skew the negociations a bit

yyzjohn

Banned
if I was a Sabres fan i'd be a little concern, this team got fucked so many times they might just go ahead and overpay to make sure he never ever leaves this town

which would also be bad for Matthews, since it would skew the negociations a bit

That's what Leafs fans should worry about. If Buffalo goes nuts and gives him something ridiculous like 12M, then Matthews has his comparable.

Solo

Leafs are screwed either way. It's the one thing Toronto and Montreal have in common - we both have to overpay to keep talent (see: 8 figure goalies). If Matthews has another year like this one, he'll get $11M, maybe plus.

Razorskin

----- ------
Leafs are screwed either way. It's the one thing Toronto and Montreal have in common - we both have to overpay to keep talent (see: 8 figure goalies). If Matthews has another year like this one, he'll get $11M, maybe plus.

Leafs are going to have to pay Matthews, Marner, and Nylander $10M each.

Delryk

Leafs are going to have to pay Matthews, Marner, and Nylander $10M each.

Unless they all score 100+ pts it's not going to happen. atleast not next year. That's why you sign them as soon as you can.

and then do this;

Matthews; Sportchek, + TV ad stuff
Marner; Canadian Tire (just cuz he's Canadian it'll be easier)
Nylander; Winners (they need a sports male model)

rofl.

Socreges

Banned
I'll be honest, I am pretty unhappy. For a while it was easy to dismiss these "small bad moves" but it's getting harder for me. I'm not going to give the Leafs management credit for winning a draft lottery; that could easily have gone the other way.

What exactly have they done in the last 18 months or so to instill confidence in fans? The last time I was impressed with this management group was when they traded Phaneuf. That was unquestionably a strong move. After that they signed Rielly and Kadri to good contracts. That's fine, but how much credit should I really give them for that? Rielly was easy, and Kadri was signed to a great deal, but he was coming off a down year. I would have been really mad if they did something stupid like sell low on him, but if I'm being honest, I'm not going to sing their praises just because they didn't do something dumb.

Other than that it's all been a bunch of crap. Re-signing Polak, signing Matt Martin, two very sketchy drafts outside of the first round, a dubious contract for Hyman, signing Marleau to a ridiculously overpriced 35+ contract with a full NMC, and signing Hainsey as a "top 4 man". None of these moves are going to kill them but it's adding up, and if they're doing dumb things now, why should I assume they won't do more dumb things in the future when the stakes are higher?

I'm not calling for anyone's job (yet), but it's past the stage where I'm willing to give Lou and his guys the benefit of the doubt.

edit: I'll add this. If they lock up Nylander this summer long term, that will help earn back some of their credibility in my mind.
Acquiring Andersen might turn out to be a really good move.

Otherwise, yeah, they've had Matthews, Marner and Nylander fall in their laps. The next two years become critical (win now) since they'll be so much more expensive after that.

I'm honestly surprised that people don't like the Hyman deal. I would think with all the advanced stats nerds around more people would like it. His shot generation and shot suppression numbers are approximately on par with a second line player (actually, looking at it again his shot generation is way way higher, first assist and shot suppression are basically bang on). So he had a hard time scoring last year whatever, not every player on the roster has to be an amazing scorer. No team is like that.

Hyman' game is all about keeping the puck in the offensive zone, as far away from his own net as possible at all times. Plus he was one of the team's best penalty killers. He couldn't score even strength but hell he had 3 shorties.

zroid

Banned
Acquiring Andersen might turn out to be a really good move.

Otherwise, yeah, they've had Matthews, Marner and Nylander fall in their laps. The next two years become critical (win now) since they'll be so much more expensive after that.

Forgot about Andersen, but I'm still pretty on the fence about that one. The trade was OK (even though Sam Steel looks like a steal -- no pun intended), but I still think the contract was unnecessarily risky.

Good drafting will be vital for the Leafs in a few years when Matthews, Nylander and Marner are rich af, and the team can't afford to pay anyone but Marlies call-ups.

Soooo... we added the Blues PP guy to the coaching staff and Varlamov's old goaltending coach.

Blues PP performance in recent years:

2016-2017 - 8th overall, 21.3%
2015-2016 - 6th overall, 21.5%
2014-2015 - 4th overall, 22.3%
2013-2014 - 9th overall, 19.4%

I like this.

Yawnier

Banned

I largely agree with your post zroid. I'm not as negative on the Leafs 2016 draft as you are though. I feel good about Korshkov, Grundstrom, and Woll from last year but am iffy on most of their late picks after them except for maybe Chebykin. I'm a fan of Korshkov's and Grundstrom's production in the KHL and SHL respectively with them being so young still and also do think both of them play a style of hockey that is very translatable to the NHL.

zroid

Banned
I largely agree with your post zroid. I'm not as negative on the Leafs 2016 draft as you are though. I feel good about Korshkov, Grundstrom, and Woll from last year but am iffy on most of their late picks after them except for maybe Chebykin. I'm a fan of Korshkov's and Grundstrom's production in the KHL and SHL respectively with them being so young still and also do think both of them play a style of hockey that is very translatable to the NHL.

Grundstrom looks like a good pick, you are right. I'm not prepared to say anything about Woll, goalies are just too unpredictable. Korshkov is fine, but he was a 31st overall pick, no? You should be getting someone good there. He was hardly the BPA...

edit: Adam Brooks was a good pick too, forgot him. 2016 wasn't that bad, I think I tend to look more unfavourably on it because there were a few picks which are just completely indefensible. They tend to stand out in my mind.

Top Bottom