• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Yawnier

Banned
Grundstrom looks like a good pick, you are right. I'm not prepared to say anything about Woll, goalies are just too unpredictable. Korshkov is fine, but he was a 31st overall pick, no? You should be getting someone good there. He was hardly the BPA...

IIRC the Korshkov pick also made me go wtf a year ago (hence all the russian overrager jokes). His production as a 20 year old in the KHL while only playing around 13 mins a night was real gud though before he broke his leg in early December so that pick did somewhat grow on me in the last year

Am curious to see how he will do with a full season in the KHL this upcoming season though

oCFblHC.png

I'll be honest, I am pretty unhappy. For a while it was easy to dismiss these "small bad moves" but it's getting harder for me. I'm not going to give the Leafs management credit for winning a draft lottery; that could easily have gone the other way.

What exactly have they done in the last 18 months or so to instill confidence in fans? The last time I was impressed with this management group was when they traded Phaneuf. That was unquestionably a strong move. After that they signed Rielly and Kadri to good contracts. That's fine, but how much credit should I really give them for that? Rielly was easy, and Kadri was signed to a great deal, but he was coming off a down year. I would have been really mad if they did something stupid like sell low on him, but if I'm being honest, I'm not going to sing their praises just because they didn't do something dumb.

Other than that it's all been a bunch of crap. Re-signing Polak, signing Matt Martin, two very sketchy drafts outside of the first round, a dubious contract for Hyman, signing Marleau to a ridiculously overpriced 35+ contract with a full NMC, and signing Hainsey as a "top 4 man". None of these moves are going to kill them but it's adding up, and if they're doing dumb things now, why should I assume they won't do more dumb things in the future when the stakes are higher?

I'm not calling for anyone's job (yet), but it's past the stage where I'm willing to give Lou and his guys the benefit of the doubt.

(this post ended up being more of a rant than I intended, sorry)

edit: I'll add this. If they lock up Nylander this summer long term, that will help earn back some of their credibility in my mind.

I completely agree with this. The purging of the old talent and taking a bet on Andersen were probably the best things these guys did. I don't follow the drafted players as much as I should so I can't really say to that. But why Martin? Why Polak? Why Marleau when we already have a log jam of forwards?

Nylander not being signed long term stopped me from buying a jersey today :lol

I don't hate Hyman, he's good at what he does with regards CF/CA at even strength like ElephantShell says. But do Matthews and Nylander necessarily need a guy like that? We don't know for sure, the amount of TOI without Hyman is low. I would like my top line to be multi-faceted - all of them. I've watched enough top line JVR and Bozak #1C over-casting.

also happy birthday zroid

Yeah as much as I'll defend Hyman I don't think he belongs on a line with Matthews and Nylander, they kind of do what he does better and with more skill.

But at 2.25 mil stick him on the 2nd or 3rd line and let him open up space for those guys.

zroid

Banned
I don't hate Hyman, he's good at what he does with regards CF/CA at even strength like ElephantShell says. But do Matthews and Nylander necessarily need a guy like that? We don't know for sure, the amount of TOI without Hyman is low. I would like my top line to be multi-faceted - all of them. I've watched enough top line JVR and Bozak #1C over-casting.

yeah I'm not crazy about the term (or the NTC?????!), but I think there is an element of betting on his upside here which I am ok with. And by upside I don't mean his development, but rather that there's a reasonable chance he will finish more of his scoring chances in the future. (see: Grabner)

also happy birthday zroid

and thank you :')

zroid, you might be right about all that! For me it's just too early to say either way. I'm more nervous about how they manage the Marner and Matthews deals next year.

That Twitter spat is gross. Damon Linker, I think it was, wrote about how people who should know better (ie, journos) are using it in the worst possible way. I'm inclined to agree with him.

edit: Happy Birthday!!!!

I may or may not have just spend the past hour watching hockey related make a wish videos on youtube.

I may or may not still have tears in my eyes

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
yeah I'm not crazy about the term (or the NTC?????!), but I think there is an element of betting on his upside here which I am ok with. And by upside I don't mean his development, but rather that there's a reasonable chance he will finish more of his scoring chances in the future. (see: Grabner)

and thank you :')
Happy birthday!

Apparently...
1. Hyman is playing on his off side
2. He was asked to play a certain style instead of scoring
3. His shooting percentage is lower than normal
4. He scored a lot in different leagues

Weird how he seems to do better on the PK and score us those goals but wasn't as productive on the first line.

He won't be a world beater but he'll make a fine 3/4th liner, and the PK is better with him than without.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
People complaining about the Hyman contract are just looking for something to complain about. No, he's not an efficient scorer. That line with Matthews works because of his board work and few players with his role are as speedy as he is.

I think the line works because of Matthews.

Top Bottom