• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Smarch 2015 |OT| Toronto is tanking on purpose this time.

Merguson

Banned
First trade of the day soon?

Let's do it!

H02Ma1J.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm worried Holland is going to trade Tatar, Larkin, Nyquist or Mantha tomorrow.

GLENCROSS TO WASHINGTON

And we're off!

ShaneB

March already!? Depressing.

Sigh, really do see the Caps losing to the Leafs tonight. Bah.

edit: Glencross is a Cap!? Nice.

MacAttack

Guy from ESPN says it isn't Boston

Horcoff may have also been traded too.

Joey Mac is a former Bruins beat writer, so thats pretty reliable. Nothing else popping up on twitter regarding the B's.

They aren't going anywhere in the postseason anyway, especially if they play Montreal in round 1.

ShaneB

Curtis Glencross waived his NTC to facilitate deal to #caps. Calgary gets a 2nd- and 3rd-pick coming back in return.

A second and a third?! =/ Good grief that is a big price.

zroid

Banned
I don't think zone entries are taking seriously enough, and think our knowledge of the game would greatly benefit if the stats community took a greater initiative to track them.

They're much more practical in telling us "why" teams or players are good or bad. If a player can't enter the offensive zone with control of the puck, leave their zone with control of the puck, or prevent the other team from entering their zone with the puck, then they really can't be contributing much to a team.

It also allows us to focus on player or team strengths/weaknesses. Perhaps a team is very good at gaining the zone, but does a poor job preventing the opposing team from gaining their own zone. Which I imagine is one of the main problems with the Leafs.

Saying "their corsi is bad" isn't wrong. But you can't just leave the analysis at that. Why is their corsi bad?

I read somewhere recently (think it was @statssundin) about the difference in the Leafs' zone entry -> scoring chance conversion rate between controlled entries versus dump-ins over the last so many games. Common knowledge at this point that CZEs are better but the actual difference was pretty stunning.

edit: I found the tweets

Stats Sundin @statssundin
In 15 games I've tracked the Leafs have 185 total successful ZE's that went for a SC (this includes carry ins and retrieved dump ins).

Out of the 185 ZE's that went for a scoring chance, 157 of them were carry ins (84.9%) while only 28 were retrieved dump ins (15.1%).

This is why players that are able to carry the puck in are so vital to a team. *cough cough* Kadri.

When you're team gets 85% of its scoring chances from carrying the puck in, you might want to keep the players that are good at doing that.

To further this, the Leafs have 314 total dump ins in the 15 games I've tracked. Only 107 of them were retrieved (34%). 28 went for SC (9%).

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So I'm pretty sure Mckenzie just deleted a tweet about Yandle being pulled from the ice. I only saw it for a brief second then it vanished.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Patrick Sharp said he's pursuing possible legal action for "false" and " laughable" speculation "dragging your name through the mud."
Lmao are you serious? What a baby

I don't think zone entries are taking seriously enough, and think our knowledge of the game would greatly benefit if the stats community took a greater initiative to track them.
This is why the Habs PP is so bad, they're fine once they get in the zone and set up but they have awful zone entries. The only guys who can do it consistently are AGally and Subban.

Caps pls

I dread what the Habs may give up today/tomorrow.
In Bergevin we trust. With how high prices are this season, I'm just expecting a depth D man to be added.

trifelife

Saying "their corsi is bad" isn't wrong. But you can't just leave the analysis at that. Why is their corsi bad?

Some good reading material here http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/2/20/zone-entries-and-the-sloan-sports-analytics-conference and here http://hockeyanalysis.com/2014/08/26/team-zone-entry-data-predicting-standings/ if you haven't already checked it out

The problem is definitely gathering the data, though I'm sure Bloomberg or STATS Inc is already selling teams all kinds of stuff. If NHL got on the MLB level of tracking it would be amaaaaazing

the issue with this post is that it has zero informational content

you might as well just have posted a . without a quote

Stet,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all responses. Future posts will be marked with a /s, lol or ¯_(ツ)_/¯ for your convenience.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That Patrick Sharp statement is absolutely bizarre.

Yawnier

Banned
When is Edmonton going to do something? MacTavish is a hack GM.

Hes trying to move out elite 4th liner Rob Klinkhammer for a conditional 7th, but wants fair value because of his potential

Stay tuned on tradecentre with @darrandreger

ZeroGravity

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus
Patrick Sharp: "When it affects your family, when you’ve got two little girls at home, and your parents are calling you, it takes a toll."
Is this his first year as an NHL player?

It kind of goes with the territory, man.

Top Bottom