• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Robinson (Polygon) answers to sexual harassment allegations, leaves Polygon

Luckydog

Geez, I had no idea. Based on these responses, I guess I'm just not those circles. The worst I had heard was "SonyGAF".... which is funny because I read the exact opposite throughout most of the 360/PS3 gen.

Vlade

Yeah... he says he was flirting, but it made people feel bad, so sorry about them feeling bad... im embarrassed because people saw my flirting, and im sorry people feel bad.

Also explains that in other contexts his stuff was and is totally fine.

Not really the apology I was hoping for; seems built to let people see in it what they want to see, including that he did nothing wrong and circumstances around him doomed him.

Don't forget that the alt right simply wants chaos in the camp that wishes more women did work in technical fields, so they are not limited by continuity of viewpoints on... well... anything else. Nick can be celebrated just because that bugs you.

People don't like Gaf because the moderation doesn't allow you to be openly shitty and post obviously regressive dumb views. It's not that strange. If you wanna say dumb racist, sexist, bigoted views you're just gonna get ban quick. And people (ie irrelevant) don't like that the biggest gaming forum on the planet wont let them be openly garbage.

Sucks for them, they can go back to reddit lmao.

NotLiquid

I think it would be a good apology if he apologized for what he's actually accused of. But also, the public doesn't really have a clear idea of what he actually did do (I may be wrong, I didn't do any deep digging into it, but at first glance, it's hard to see what he did with any kind of precision- understandably so). However, since signs and, frankly, evidence points to him doing worse than just using his position of power to "flirt", the apology comes off as... not great! Especially since the public doesn't know exactly what he did, I feel like the proper apologies should go directly to the victims, with the public statement being a more vague "I'm sorry about my terrible behavior, please know that I recognize my wrongdoings and am now taking the steps to better myself." Apologizing in such a long-winded way while subtly downplaying his ACTUAL, behind-the-scenes wrongdoings seems disingenuous, assuming he DID do worse than what he implies he did.

Yeah, this seems to be the best take on the situation here. When the first tweet broke the ice with "maybe Overcooked devs should have sent Nick nudes", followed with several accounts and receipts of him soliciting nudes from people (as well as pressuring a fan to visit him for sexual relations), I assumed that was the extent of his behavior, which to me made this apology look... well, already kinda meh. But now that there's apparently more than just that, I can't take the apology at face value anymore, and I hesitate to say anything since it's clear we don't know the full extent of the situation.

I'm just going to wait until this plot unfolds so it can all be condensed. What matters is less how the crowd perceives it at this juncture, but the people who were actually involved.

sflufan

Banned
It's an apology crafted for the public and not the victims.

An apology all the same, which is to be commended for taking ownership of a mistake, but in the absence of facts and the details of the accusations, it does court the appearance of being hollow and self-serving damage control.

That's because it was an apology crafted by Vox Media legal counsel for the purposes of mitigating the company's liability exposure. It's not intended for the individual "apologizing" to make amends for his actions nor to placate those whom he interacted with inappropriately.

killroy87

That's because it was an apology crafted by Vox Media legal counsel for the purposes of mitigating the company's liability exposure. It's not intended for the individual "apologizing" to make amends for his actions nor to placate those whom he interacted with inappropriately.

Yeah really. When Christ Grant refers to it as his "statement", you know what it's designed to do.

fetus8

I'm just going to wait until this plot unfolds so it can all be condensed. What matters is less how the crowd perceives it at this juncture, but the people who were actually involved.

THIS SO MUCH

But, I definitely think the apology to the crowd really really downplays his actions in such a way to save face with his crowd, which is super disappointing. If you aren't analyzing his apology, I think you're missing the fact that by calling harassment, "flirting", he makes himself still come across as the softboy. It's frustrating because like many others in this thread have said, upon first read, it actually comes across as kind of genuine.

Regardless of whether or not the crowd/public ever fully understands what happens, I really hope in some capacity that he manages to come across as genuine to the people that were involved and they get some sort of real apology/ending to this gross situation.

daemissary

I'd be really interested to see someone who has criticized his apology craft an apology that WOULD be acceptable to the people in this thread given his transgressions.

Because it sure feels like people are saying that his actions were so bad that he can't apologize for them and deserves no chance at redemption in their eyes.

If you aren't analyzing his apology, I think you're missing the fact that by calling harassment, "flirting", he makes himself still come across as the softboy. It's frustrating because like many others in this thread have said, upon first read, it actually comes across as kind of genuine.

With the lack of sex education in this country, and the current lack of evidence that he did something far worse, how are we certain that he isn't being genuine? It's just speculation that he's nefarious, and not simply some dopey horndog who let his knob do his thinking.

That's what makes a lot of perpetrators sexual harassment/assault so aggravating. Nobody has ever explicitly taught them that doing things which are harmful/traumatic for the sake of their own pleasure is wrong. It's why you get thousands of incidents in college dorms where it seems like the predator has zero understanding of consent and basic sexual decency.

I think that, especially on forums like GAF, we forget how little issues like these are actually discussed in the real world. We look at something and go "That's obviously wrong!" because we've read like three articles on it that week.

The solution has always been to educate people like Robinson about the do's and don'ts of sex and "flirting" from a young age. If there was a universal bare minimum education on these things, then nobody could say "Oh, I didn't know what I was doing was wrong."

We can sit around and be pissed, or we can move for real reform that destroys this problem at it's root.

Vlade

I'd be really interested to see someone who has criticized his apology craft an apology that WOULD be acceptable to the people in this thread given his transgressions.

Because it sure feels like people are saying that his actions were so bad that he can't apologize for them and deserves no chance at redemption in their eyes.

Well, for starters, including
"what I did was wrong" instead of "I messed up" since he goes on to be evasive about ever having done wrong,
"I apologize for what I did" instead of "I'm sorry to anyone I made feel uncomfortable" after explaining his actions were totally fine in a different context, and
"I will not do those things again" instead of "earn back your trust by changing my behavior" which following the whole evasive thing doesn't really say much

I could go on really.

Personally I would prefer if when people fuck up they aren't trying to explain their way out of it. Just say "sorry, I fucked up, I need to be better and I will." Or just dont say anything

Geez, I had no idea. Based on these responses, I guess I'm just not those circles. The worst I had heard was "SonyGAF".... which is funny because I read the exact opposite throughout most of the 360/PS3 gen.

It's often entertaining to read the conspiracies and other batshit crazy stuff that's generated over there.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I'm not sure there is an apology that people would have accepted in a case like this. Which is fine because he's not entitled to people forgiving him in the first place. Honestly I wish he just didn't say anything at all instead of going along with what Vox wanted him to do which was putting out a statement to protect themselves.

Its really shameful how Polygon didn't even bother to put a statement of their own, the only acknowledgment anything even happened from their end were literally 2 tweets by the EIC on his own account... thats it. Of course they're not going to have a problem either continuing to profit off of all the content he made for their site either while never acknowledging anything ever happened even though it was worth firing him for.

Also I'm not sure why you feel he needs to have a chance at redemption. Its totally normal for folks to want absolutely nothing to do with him now nor do they have to give him a second chance.

faridmon

People don't like Gaf because the moderation doesn't allow you to be openly shitty and post obviously regressive dumb views. I.

Yeah, but there still some shitty and obviously regressive dumb people here on Neogaf too, they just know how to make themselves look smart

but Gaf ain't reddit so its all good

The majority of white people who just ignored the post instead of crying about it like you are would disagree.

The topic is about sexual harassment, not race. Bringing race into it the way that poster did is idiotic and counter productive. I dont give two shits if most "white people" ignored it. I chose not to. And your dismissive attitude of bigoted comments directed toward someone being white is equally disgusting.

I suppose you think this one is ok too?

Uh, the whole news at 11 meme is supposed to be for things that are expected.

White men don't give a fuck what others thing usually. They don't have to in American society. Him being genuinely (or if you want to be a cynic, pretending) being sorry for his actions is the opposite of news at 11.

Really sick and tired of people turning a blind eye to racist bullshit just because it's directed at "whitey". Theze types of posts are NEVER ok.

hampig

Personally I would prefer if when people fuck up they aren't trying to explain their way out of it. Just say "sorry, I fucked up, I need to be better and I will." Or just dont say anything

So I'm not sure if you read his apology, but he says almost exactly that.

fetus8

With the lack of sex education in this country, and the current lack of evidence that he did something far worse, how are we certain that he isn't being genuine? It's just speculation that he's nefarious, and not simply some dopey horndog who let his knob do his thinking.

That's what makes a lot of perpetrators sexual harassment/assault so aggravating. Nobody has ever explicitly taught them that doing things which are harmful/traumatic for the sake of their own pleasure is wrong. It's why you get thousands of incidents in college dorms where it seems like the predator has zero understanding of consent and basic sexual decency.

I think that, especially on forums like GAF, we forget how little issues like these are actually discussed in the real world. We look at something and go "That's obviously wrong!" because we've read like three articles on it that week.

The solution has always been to educate people like Robinson about the do's and don'ts of sex and "flirting" from a young age. If there was a universal bare minimum education on these things, then nobody could say "Oh, I didn't know what I was doing was wrong."

We can sit around and be pissed, or we can move for real reform that destroys this problem at it's root.

Well, the lack of sex education in our country is absolutely a problem, and in theory if improved could prevent situations like this, but that seems like a different discussion than what's happening here.

All I am trying to say is that by downplaying his actions as flirting, instead of calling it what it is (Sexual Harassment), allows him to save face with the community. He may only understand what he did as flirting, but the people who his actions were against, perceived it as much more devious, hence my insistence on calling it what it is. This is part the process of learning so that Robinson and people like him who are witnessing this, may start to reflect on their actions and realize what they may perceive as flirting, can be perceived as aggressive and harmful.

Hopefully we'll get to a point soon where sex education isn't so taboo in the USA and kids get a proper education from the start, so things like this become less and less common. For now, we need to use this situation to highlight this bad behavior and teach people that their actions can be perceived differently from party to party. I think we also need to highlight that certain words and their use carry a lot of power, flirting vs. sexual harassment.

You're totally right regarding whether or not we are certain he is being genuine with this apology, which is scary. If he is being genuine, maybe he still doesn't understand how his actions can hurt people.

Timeaisis

"I fucked up. What I did was sick, wrong, and disgusting and I'm working on bettering myself as a public figure and a human being. I'm sorry."

Also I'm not sure why you feel he needs to have a chance at redemption. Its totally normal for folks to want absolutely nothing to do with him now nor do they have to give him a second chance.

Some people just believe everyone deserves a second chance and don't want to live in a society where past mistakes mean you are forever labeled "evil" or what have you.

I mean do you hope he changes? Or do you hope he is at his core a bad person, incapable of change, and will continue to do these shitty things out of the public eye?

Personally I hope he can become a better person. I don't think that makes me an apologist for his past actions.

Kebiinu

Banned
The topic is about sexual harassment, not race. Bringing race into it the way that poster did is idiotic and counter productive. I dont give two shits if most "white people" ignored it. I chose not to. And your dismissive attitude of bigoted comments directed toward someone being white is equally disgusting.

I suppose you think this one is ok too?

Really sick and tired of people turning a blind eye to racist bullshit just because it's directed at "whitey". Theze types of posts are NEVER ok.

Being called "white" is not racist. You're not oppressed, spare us your white tears. Thanks.

Yeah, but there still some shitty and obviously regressive dumb people here on Neogaf too, they just know how to make themselves look smart

but Gaf ain't reddit so its all good

And those people dont hate Gaf surprisingly. You can say lots of stuff here as long as you just aren't being a totally ignorant asshole about it.

So I'm not sure if you read his apology, but he says almost exactly that.

I read it. The issue is there are a bunch of paragraphs where he tries to downplay and explain away his behaviour. It undermines taking responsibility when you are trying to humanize your idiocy when its needs no humanization. Dude didn't do some off base flirting one time using his fame.

He just repeatedly made bad decisions, got caught and now he's all "I'm sowwy, fame got to my head". He just needed to shut the fuck up and post that 1 sentence and he would be in better standing.

Being called "white" is not racist. You're not oppressed, spare us your white tears. Thanks.

I'll remember that the next time someone refers to someone being black in a dismissive post and everyone dogpiles on the poster. I'll refer them to you and mention being called black isnt racist, even if it has nothing to do with the conversation. Also you are ignoring:

White men don't give a fuck what others thing usually.

That's fucking racist.

And I never said I am oppressed. Racism can be targeted at non oppressed races genius. For fuck's sake people here really are insufferable sometimes. I'll move on to another thread so the circle jerk can continue.

Edit: And if you think I'm having a "victim mentality", you're as clueless as I believe you to be. A victim mentality is all the "oh poor me only oppressed people can be the target of racism" nonsense. Racism and bigotry are racism and bigotry regardless of the color of their target or the color of the offender.

M.J. Doja

Banned
I'll remember that the next time someone refers to someone being black in a dismissive post and everyone dogpiles on the poster. I'll refer them to you and mention being called black isnt racist, even if it has nothing to do with the conversation. Also you are ignoring:

That's fucking racist.

And I never said I am oppressed. Racism can be targeted at non oppressed races genius. For fuck's sake people here really are insufferable sometimes. I'll move on to another thread so the circle jerk can continue.

You're insufferable. GTFO with your victim mentality.

Ripenen

This isn't a good apology. He talks about himself for most of it, trying to make you feel sorry for him. He's building himself up as a hero with his talk of helping people and having so much power as a public figure. He thinks this apology and retirement from social media makes him some kind of martyr.

Kebiinu

Banned

That's fucking racist.

Lmfao, learn what racism is before running in here trying to make it about you...the typical American white male. And the classic, "replace white with black and—" just stop. That example has never, and will never work. Enjoy your exit.

On topic, I'm just glad that the story seems to conclude with some type of justice. Even if his apology was dodgy as hell, his 'fame' is over.

Trup1aya

Well, the lack of sex education in our country is absolutely a problem, and in theory if improved could prevent situations like this, but that seems like a different discussion than what's happening here.

All I am trying to say is that by downplaying his actions as flirting, instead of calling it what it is (Sexual Harassment), allows him to save face with the community. He may only understand what he did as flirting, but the people who his actions were against, perceived it as much more devious, hence my insistence on calling it what it is. This is part the process of learning so that Robinson and people like him who are witnessing this, may start to reflect on their actions and realize what they may perceive as flirting, can be perceived as aggressive and harmful.

Hopefully we'll get to a point soon where sex education isn't so taboo in the USA and kids get a proper education from the start, so things like this become less and less common. For now, we need to use this situation to highlight this bad behavior and teach people that their actions can be perceived differently from party to party. I think we also need to highlight that certain words and their use carry a lot of power, flirting vs. sexual harassment.

You're totally right regarding whether or not we are certain he is being genuine with this apology, which is scary. If he is being genuine, maybe he still doesn't understand how his actions can hurt people.

I'm sure he understands it. I really don't think it's about saving face. There's really no way he doesn't know this is sexual harassment, especially not since this exposure.

But to openly admit to sexually harassing people is going to basically make it very easy for his victims to clean him out in court.

Perhaps that's what he deserves, but few people are going to walk right into that.

I think, at this point, people are just angry and calling for blood. He lost his job, that was what needed to happen. However, I don't think his apology is unquestionably insincere. At this point you, and the other people saying similar things, are essentially bullying people into interpreting the apology the same way you did.

Sincerity doesn't mean shit if the thing you are being sincere about isn't taking ownership or showing you understand the actual problem. It doesn't matter how much you believe he means it. It is irrelevant to the larger issue.

Shredderi

I'm sure he understands it. I really don't think it's about saving face. There's really no way he doesn't know this is sexual harassment, especially not since this exposure.

But to openly admit to sexually harassing people is going to basically make it very easy for his victims to clean him out in court.

Perhaps that's what he deserves, but few people are going to walk right into that.

This. I don't know anyone who would outright damn themselves publically.

All I am trying to say is that by downplaying his actions as flirting, instead of calling it what it is (Sexual Harassment), allows him to save face with the community.
He may have his hands tied here. I don't know where the laws stand on harassment but any admission of guilt -- public or even private -- could open the path for a lawsuit, so there are probably some strict orders by Polygon's lawyer(s) about what to say and not to say. I mean, the easiest way to avoid this kind of shitshow is to not harass people in the first place, but he can't put that cat back into the bag.

On topic, I'm just glad that the story seems to conclude with some type of justice. Even if his apology was dodgy as hell, his 'fame' is over.

Eh, we're a bit off from the end of this. We got the Waypoint article, whatever Nick's next move is, outting someone else in the industry guilty of this and of course whenever anyone is feeling bold on Twitter to elaborate on these incidents.

watership

Well, for starters, including
"what I did was wrong" instead of "I messed up" since he goes on to be evasive about ever having done wrong,
"I apologize for what I did" instead of "I'm sorry to anyone I made feel uncomfortable" after explaining his actions were totally fine in a different context, and
"I will not do those things again" instead of "earn back your trust by changing my behavior" which following the whole evasive thing doesn't really say much

I could go on really.

That's what he should have done, if it was going to be the most honest apology. However, from what I know in the US a public statement of "I apologize for what I did" is a good way to get sued and lose that suit, right out of the gate. I smell a lawyer involved in this.

fetus8

He may have his hands tied here. I don't know where the laws stand on harassment but any admission of guilt -- public or even private -- could open the path for a lawsuit, so there are probably some strict orders by Polygon's lawyer(s) about what to say and not to say. I mean, the easiest way to avoid this kind of shitshow is to not harass people in the first place, but he can't put that cat back into the bag.

After I posted my message I got to thinking about this. I imagine some of this has to do with working at Polygon and them protecting themselves, which is understandable. Doesn't make me feel better about this but I get why.

Christhor

I still won't visit your shitty site, Polygon. Any company that would have a man like this hired does not deserve my clicks.

Dynasty

I still won't visit your shitty site, Polygon. Any company that would have a man like this hired does not deserve my clicks.

I guess no site deserves your clicks? Your logic is stupid, what are Polygon meant to do? Go through every email and text message before hiring him and continue to monitor him? By your logic, I guess Neogaf doesnt deserve your clicks as well then?

The whole thing about sliding into DMs carrying an entirely different weight when you're a public persona vs a private one is kinda bullshit. The venn diagram of people that can judge you is just larger, you're still being a shit. Not enough acknowledgement or understanding of why what he did was wrong for me

Tagyhag

While I don't like Polygon as well, I think that statement is ridiculous.

How were they supposed to know he was like this when they hired him?

faridmon

As much as I don't like Polygon, this statement is baffling.

They had nothing to do with the character they employ based on goodwill and professionalism

And those people dont hate Gaf surprisingly. You can say lots of stuff here as long as you just aren't being a totally ignorant asshole about it.

They just get away with it.

Being sexist, Islamophobic and racists is totally being ignorant asshole

jaxpunk

Lmfao, learn what racism is before running in here trying to make it about you...the typical American white male. And the classic, "replace white with black and—" just stop. That example has never, and will never work. Enjoy your exit.

irony.gif

Reading this thread he was better off just saying nothing. Seems like nothing short of death? is acceptable

daemissary

"I fucked up. What I did was sick, wrong, and disgusting and I'm working on bettering myself as a public figure and a human being. I'm sorry."

That is exactly how I read his apology before everyone went all Zapruder film on it. He said he messed up, what he did was wrong but he just didn't realize it in the moment and he's working on bettering himself. All of that is there.

Great, now run that through 10 lawyers and a PR team.....

Pretty much this.

Top Bottom