• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Robinson (Polygon) involved in sexual harassment allegations [Suspended]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

This sucks. I like a lot of his stuff and have recommended it to various people I know and just ughhhhh. There are too many people who I know to be legit on Twitter backing this up for it to be nothing. Hopefully this will be resolved in a way that can give some solace to his victims.

Drey1082

These people don't wield power in money. They wield power in followers and followers tend to act like their personal army, whether the person intends to or not. And getting ahead in the games industry seems to be all about networking and relations. Nick is very popular and, alongside Griffin McElroy, is the pretty much the sole reason Polygon gets any significant amount of clicks. People make fan art of him. There's a huge fandom around the video series that he's involved in like Car Boys.

And the victims are women and the games industry treats women like shit. You can bet a bunch of pick up artist loser types would target them for even hinting that their favorite youtuber is sketch.

I think i understand more now. It's more of a social currency.

ryseing

As someone who doesn't really understand the industry dynamics that well, what power does some polygon producer / ex- rev3 host really wield that he can be a creep and get away with it? I guess I just don't get how this guy was in a position of that much power.

I guess coming from the Finance world, all the assholes are the Scaramucci-type guys who have insane clout and power over people's careers and livelyhood. I just don't get where a video producer at polygon has any sort of clout. I can see if women don't want to come forward just from embarrassment or undue shame, but what does this guy really hold over anyone's head? Review scores? game coverage? I guess I never considered Polygon that big of a deal.

His brother is famous. Not saying Porter had any idea about his brother but proximity to fame does a ton to cover up shit like this.

And for people wondering why the women being harassed aren't publicly coming forward about this stuff, look at the power Nick has in the industry. He's got a huge following on twitter and regularly collaborates with the McElroy brothers on a regular basis. He's more power to shut any of these women up with ease were any one of them to come forward individually and it's not like there's a "Nick Robinson Harassment Support Group" on twitter helping these women figure out how to make their statements as solidly credible as possible.

Hell, a good chunk of what Nick appears to have done looks to be done in such a way so as to make many of these women uneasy as to whether or not they were actually harassed. Abusers know how to exploit social customs among groups of people to get what they want, and the general attitudes toward discussing sex in the industry make exploiting privilege like Nick's easy.

Looks like a giant Cheeto isn't the only thing he has in common with Trump anymore.

C9KMHylV0AAVjD8.jpg

While I do think it's damning that a lot of people are coming out against him. I still want to see his side of the story before I start putting labels on the man.

It's okay man, you can sit it out. This isn't a court of law. If a whole bunch of people corroborating each others' stories is not enough for you, you're not gonna get the juicy bits you want here

Lots of respect to Kessler for taking a public stand on this. He didn't have to, and he did.

L Thammy

Why would a bunch of women in the games press suddenly decide Nick needed to be taken out?

But if it came to it I am sure some of the DM's could surface.

This is what I'm getting at. If this was one lone accusation and everyone went "whoa", that'd be one thing. But this is several accusations with everyone going "yeah, I heard something like that". Do we really need a smoking gun here?

Yeesh. Didn't know him or his content much, but I really appreciated him for being one of the few vocal journalists who vouched and explained their support for Sonic Mania from the game's announcement. Disappointed to hear this news, though given these constant exposes of YouTube gaming celebrities and other notable people in the industry, I'm not too surprised.

Definitely. This is like finding out JonTron was a Neo-Nazi, without the suspect comments leading up to it & the "this person is absolutely an obnoxious asshole in real life" vibe he's always had. It feels out of left-field to me, but the story seems well-corroborated. If this is true (Which it really is looking like it), I'm absolutely going to hold him accountable, & hope other fans of his content do, too.

At this point, I'm just waiting for a shoe to drop with Dunkey. He hangs out with GG'ers (Including JonTron), is also an open asshole, & used slurs for shock value, so I'm surprised nothing's come up. Part of me's feeling the only "clean" figure in the games media industry I like is Jim "Fucking" Sterling "Son." Well, the Continue & Retsupurae guys are all right. I doubt they're terrible. Maybe the Grumps, but I stopped watching awhile back.

Absolutely agreed.

Anung

Un Rama
If it's true then I feel bad for those who got creeped on. But on the other hand vague tweets, deleted tweets, clapbacks and gossip are not actually evidence of anything.

It's almost like the systematic targeting and harassment of women by this industry makes them second guess actively speaking out against this kinda stuff...especially when this industry is, you know, their career.

There's too many nods, vagueness and friends speaking on behalf of numerous unrelated people/sources to not at least consider their may be some truth in it.

Marcel

He couldve totally been a creepfest and none of his friends known about it. I've seen it happen before.

Dont throw other people under the bus because you feel outraged about one person's actions

Considering how many of these male ally milkshake ducks appear every other month I'm willing to believe that a piece of shit had other pieces of shit who knew his behavior and said nothing out of convenience or otherwise.

BiggNife

If Nick was a serial harrasser and a creep then a fair share of the burden is on his friends and people who likely knew it was happening to people in their sphere and saying nothing about it.

We have no idea what these people have done in private so I think it's a little silly to assume that everyone just did nothing.

This shit is personal and usually bringing it into the public is a last resort.

The dude always had a creepy vibe. Like, I could never really place exactly what it was but he was always a bit off-putting to me. Guess I should just go with my gut sometimes.

Good on Kessler for speaking up. Interested to hear what Ben says. I know they are, or were, close.

Marcel

It's almost like the systematic targeting and harassment of women by this industry makes them second guess actively speaking out against this kinda stuff...especially when this industry is, you know, their career.

There's too many nods, vagueness and friends speaking on behalf of numerous unrelated people/sources to not at least consider their may be some truth in it.

I've already revised how I felt on the matter after reading more, don't you worry.

SexyFish

Banned
If Nick was a serial harrasser and a creep then a fair share of the burden is on his friends and people who likely knew it was happening to people in their sphere and saying nothing about it.

Yeah, some people are creeps in private. You definitely can't put blame on everyone around him saying they must have known.

jacobeid

Banned
The dude always had a creepy vibe. Like, I could never really place exactly what it was but he was always a bit off-putting to me. Guess I should just go with my gut sometimes.

Good on Kessler for speaking up. Interested to hear what Ben says. I know they are, or were, close.

Same. I hope Ben comes out against this soon.

This is just really disappointing. We need to embrace inclusivity and displays like this just hurts the cause, not even getting into the fact that all of those women had to suffer through his shit for who knows how long.

Damn, this is fucked up, don't see how Polygon can really keep him on board with these type of allegations. Wouldn't want to be Griffin's shoes right now.

As if women didn't have enough trouble being in the games industry this comes out, but really it's just a reflection of society as a whole, hopefully people in the industry can help create a safe environment for everyone.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Man some people will stretch anything into a "fuck polygon!" discussion.

Seriously. I dislike Polygon as much as the next guy, but it's pretty rediculous to implicate the whole site in this. As of right now, there's 0 reason to beleive they enabled this. Maybe something will come out in the future, but until then no one should be complaining about their existence in regards to this news.

Yeah, some people are creeps in private. You definitely can't put blame on everyone around him saying they must have known.

Especially considering how common (and understandable) it is for women to feel uncomfortable coming forward about their experiences.

It's not as easy as just going to one of his friends and being like "yo your buddy is a creep"

soundtest

Banned
Considering how many of these male ally milkshake ducks appear every other month I'm willing to believe that a piece of shit had other pieces of shit who knew his behavior and said nothing out of convenience or otherwise.

you'd be surprised how often people keep their awful shit on the down low and none of their close friends have a clue that it's happening. Or you think he somehow managed to get to polygon with all of this as a open secret among his peers?

Cmon now.

Gator86

These people don't wield power in money. They wield power in followers and followers tend to act like their personal army, whether the person intends to or not. And getting ahead in the games industry seems to be all about networking and relations. Nick is very popular and, alongside Griffin McElroy, is the pretty much the sole reason Polygon gets any significant amount of clicks. People make fan art of him. There's a huge fandom around the video series that he's involved in like Car Boys.

And the victims are women and the games industry treats women like shit. You can bet a bunch of pick up artist loser types would target them for even hinting that their favorite youtuber is sketch.

Basically. Colin Moriarty's weaponized followers went after his old co-workers and such. Now, imagine those people are women, especially women speaking out against this type of behavior. Any woman getting within 500 miles of this is courageous as fuck knowing how much shit they're probably going to get.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh, not Nick. Come on!

I swear, nothing better happen with Russ and the McElroys. They're like the only reason I watch any of Polygon's videos.

Edit: And yeah, poor Griffin. Him and Nick were like two peas.

Lunar15

Shocking and sad. I hope we get full stories from those affected now that it's out, just because we need to hear that this shit happens and people are afraid to speak up.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
The one thing I don't get and I'm trying not to be a dick here, but if the people he harassed don't want more people coming after them why would they even post something about it without proof? Like I get telling somebody else and having them talk about it, but it seems like some of the twitter threads are from the harassed themselves? If so what would be the issue in just posting screencaps, it's not like there's anything in there that would even be embarrassing for them, it's all on Nick... And I know they're gonna get neckbearded assholes harassing them even if they prove it's real, but I figure that would at least help ease the doubt in anyone rational.

Most of the threads I've seen seem to be from people who are speaking up for a friend as an intermediary to protect their friends from being brigaded. I'm sure there's some actual victims posting too (and perhaps some of the friends even experienced it themselves) but that seems to be the trend here in the major threads getting a lot of attention.

Bowlie

Banned
Pretty sure that was a precursor to the Overcooked thing. Some feminist frequency person responded and said "actually no Nick"

I know, but the Curious Cat answer mentions a "Krystal" incident from before, so it's good to put that together so people can understand the situation better.

Marcel

you'd be surprised how often people keep their awful shit on the down low and none of their close friends have a clue that it's happening. Or you think he somehow managed to get to polygon with all of this as a open secret among his peers?

Cmon now.

Devin Faraci sexually assaulted a girl in public with his friends laughing right along with him and that was kept secret for years. I'm not putting anything out of the realm of possibility at this point.

Most of the threads I've seen seem to be from people who are speaking up for a friend as an intermediary to protect their friends from being brigaded. I'm sure there's some actual victims posting too (and perhaps some of the friends even experienced it themselves) but that seems to be the trend here in the major threads.

That would make more sense then yeah if they're a 3rd party talking about it, and that did seem to be the majority of the threads I looked at.

Man some people will stretch anything into a "fuck polygon!" discussion.

They make social issues a major part of their brand but then do stuff like rarely (if ever) allow women to review AAA games, hire and continue employing people like Nick (assuming the allegations are true) despite his behavior seemingly being widely known behind the scenes. Seems fair enough to bring up the site, we'll see how they handle this but the public opinions of their editorial staff are often at odds with their actions.

jackal27

Banned
I feel worse for the women involved. As if being a female gamer wasn't hard enough already...
Especially because he was a handsome guy with a huge following of women. Seems if this is all true, he's been using that to his advantage which is really disappointing.

Tankard

Wow, for starters i thought he was gay, so this comes twice as a surprise.

I liked his work with Rev3 until the end of it. Seemed like a cool guy.

If this is true, what seems to be, hope his days in this industry are to end.

AmuroChan

Have any of his industry friends come out and said anything about this? I know he's pretty tight with people at IGN and KF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom