• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Robinson (Polygon) involved in sexual harassment allegations [Suspended]

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

I know Polygon is a joke, but maybe we shouldn't lump the clickbait articles with terrible diagrams as filler and obnoxious journalists showing of their new tats with sexual harassment allegations.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Dammit, why do people gotta fucking creep all the time

Fancolors

This is disappointing. I wonder how Polygon will deal with this considering a significant chunk of their Youtube viewers came from Car Boys

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the wider polygon bashing is inappropriate itt

BiggNife

Have any of his industry friends come out and said anything about this? I know he's pretty tight with people at IGN and KF.

I think Kessler counts, since he works at Playstation and has been friends with Nick since they were interns at Giant Bomb.

BTA

thats-good.gif

I'm not gonna go to KiA to see how Gerbils rationalize this one.

From what I saw on Twitter, it's mainly people trying to twist it into some burn on Polygon out of fake concern. Saw someone talk about how he was one of Polygon's best people "aside from his politics", which was weird to read.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
That Krystal thing always seemed just like a bad (and gross) joke but some of the reactions to it make much more sense now.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
They make social issues a major part of their brand but then do stuff like rarely (if ever) allow women to review AAA games, hire and continue employing people like Nick (assuming the allegations are true) despite his behavior seemingly being widely known behind the scenes. Seems fair enough to bring up the site, we'll see how they handle this but the public opinions of their editorial staff are often at odds with their actions.

The difficult part is that unless a formal complaint is made, a person cannot (and should not!) be fired for rumours. Sadly the state of the world is such that women cannot - or are made to feel that they cannot - come forward and make accusations free of recrimination. Then this lack of overt evidence is used as evidence of conspiracy or innocence. (although many will choose not to believe the accusations if explicitly made anyway!)

This isn't unique to video gaming, although can manifest particularly viciously here because video gaming culture is Very Bad.

As someone who doesn't really understand the industry dynamics that well, what power does some polygon producer / ex- rev3 host really wield that he can be a creep and get away with it?

Game writing is a very small industry. Nobody gets paid well and everyone who succeeds is doing it on the back of leveraging a lot of personal relationships to get gigs. If someone's tight with the local micro-celebrities (and the McElroys are as close to that as you get in games journalism) it's easy to expect that if you get on their bad side you'll be informally blacklisted.

The one thing I don't get and I'm trying not to be a dick here, but if the people he harassed don't want more people coming after them why would they even post something about it without proof?

Because a whole bunch of people coming out about it at the same time without any specific attackable sources of "evidence" keeps them all collectively safer.

Marcel

This is disappointing. I wonder how Polygon will deal with this considering a significant chunk of their Youtube viewers came from Car Boys

I brought up Devin Faraci earlier and considering what happened there it's likely Nick will be made to step down if the allegations bare out, which is looking quite likely at this point.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
They make social issues a major part of their brand but then do stuff like rarely (if ever) allow women to review AAA games, hire and continue employing people like Nick (assuming the allegations are true) despite his behavior seemingly being widely known behind the scenes. Seems fair enough to bring up the site, we'll see how they handle this but the public opinions of their editorial staff are often at odds with their actions.

To who? Even some of his friends/colleagues like Kessler had no idea. I don't get how Polygon bashing makes any sense here honestly.

PulseMC

Neo Member
He always seemed... weird, but I never actually thought that he would be a straight up creepy dude.

Hopefully this is a learning experience for him, but I honestly doubt it will be.

Ulong

Any of the giantbomb guys say anything yet? I don't think they have a responsibility to or anything, since he was just some intern from years ago to them, but I was curious.

The difficult part is that unless a formal complaint is made, a person cannot (and should not!) be fired for rumours. Sadly the state of the world is such that women cannot - or are made to feel that they cannot - come forward and make accusations free of recrimination. Then this lack of overt evidence is used as evidence of conspiracy or innocence. (although many will choose not to believe the accusations if explicitly made anyway!)

Totally agree. That women don't feel comfortable issuing a formal complaint even at a workplace as progressive as Polygon's is another reason I don't see an issue with the site being brought into discussion.

Sami+

Well that's a bummer. :/

I never really watched his content or anything but I do follow him on Twitter and enjoy some of his stuff on there, so if he is a dickhead that kinda sucks.

I know Polygon is a joke, but maybe we shouldn't lump the clickbait articles with terrible diagrams as filler and obnoxious journalists showing of their new tats with sexual harassment allegations.

This. Using this to take random potshots at people at Polygon who have no connection to sexual harassment is gross.

Been following this since last night - wishing for the best for his victims and good on the people who are speaking up for those who can't.

This also contextualizes some of his past actions and the response from them. Everything surrounding that Krystal tweet seemed a bit overblown until this gave it further meaning, and reason for why people might want to take a chance to call out his behavior.

I can kind of see how a horny/creepy guy might try and chat up someone on Twitter, even though it's wildly inappropriate but no matter how many mental contortions I make I can't understand how people ask for photos right off the bat.

My brain literally can't process it.

Good on those who decided to speak up, it takes a lot of courage to do so when there is a large part of the gaming community that is going to take it as an invitation to harass and abuse you.

Also, "hey landon shut the fuck up" made me laugh.

BiggNife

He's also working on Card Witch, which is rad looking and has Battle Network style combat.

The more relevant answer is that he's friends with some of the people Nick targeted.

Yeah, I should have made that more clear. He's fairly prominent in the Indie dev scene so he's most likely heard stories from multiple people.

dawgparty

If Nick was a serial harrasser and a creep then a fair share of the burden is on his friends and people who likely knew it was happening to people in their sphere and saying nothing about it.

What? I don't know who my friends are messaging on any social media platform. Let's not sloppily spread our outrage.

This is fucked, though. Dude seems like an asshole from his tweets alone. That dickish gamer personality attitude is so gd unappealing.

Well, I'm not super familiar with him but as a giantbomb fan, this is disappointing. I hope the powers that be at Polygon will handle this situation appropriately. And by that, I mean firing him. Good on Kessler for his apology though.

AmuroChan

I think Kessler counts, since he works at Playstation and has been friends with Nick since they were interns at Giant Bomb.

Yea, I saw that Kessler isn't following Nick on Twitter anymore. A lot of industry people still are though, like Ashley Jenkins, Greg Miller, Max Scoville, Marty Sliva, Kallie Plagge, etc.

Iksenpets

Banned

The McElroys have always been at the center of their stuff though, and they've built up their side cast well enough in the past few months that I would imagine they're at the point where they can cast off Nick without it being fatal. Whether they do or not, who knows.

SoundLad

First time hearing about this dude. Sounds like a dick.

Why are people saying "Not Nick, he was one of the good guys!", etc.?

Some sort of game journalist celebrity? Fill me in, why this is such a blow to some?

Zedark

That sounds gross. I do hope the people who are affected are pressing charges, to send a message that sexual harassment will be met with actual consequences.
Innocent until proven guilty.
That's why the people need to press charges. I think the volume of people affected can create a good base of evidence for the case (I'm not a lawyer, though, so it's all spitballing on my behalf), so as to not have the case fall to dearth of tangible evidence.

Apologize for not reading the entire thread besides the first two pages but is there any serious allegations outside of him trying to talk to a girl in a dm?

ASaiyan

Banned
Another day, another games industry figure outed as a bad person on Twitter. I always thought Polygon's writing was trash but it's still shocking and saddening to learn that they have an actual trash human being on their payroll.

Can we maybe, uh, have all these people stop inflicting awful behavior on their fellow human beings? Please?

SexyFish

Banned
Yea, I saw that Kessler isn't following Nick on Twitter anymore. A lot of industry people still are though, like Ashley Jenkins, Greg Miller, Max Scoville, Marty Sliva, Kallie Plagge, etc.

It takes some time, some might not have even heard of it yet.

Some sort of game journalist celebrity? Fill me in, why this is such a blow to some?
People like Car Boys, Cool Games Inc., Touch the Skyrim among other things. Basically a cross-section of the McElroy brothers fanbase and his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onzu_r-O7YA

Marcel

What? I don't know who my friends are messaging on any social media platform. Let's not sloppily spread our outrage.

This is fucked, though. Dude seems like an asshole from his tweets alone. That dickish gamer personality attitude is so gd unappealing.

I'm going by the interpretation of the events that this was an "open secret", which implicitly means that some people knew of his behavior but said nothing.

I brought up Devin Faraci earlier and considering what happened there it's likely Nick will be made to step down if the allegations bare out, which is looking quite likely at this point.

If Nick's smart, he'll step down himself.

Devin made the right choice in dropping twitter, removing himself from his positions at BMD and The Canon, and went out to go get help/try to figure out how to not be a terrible person.

Sad thing is, I don't think Nick's going to do that. Where Devin's incident occurred years ago, the statements made today imply Nick's behavior is still on-going.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So uh, as someone who doesn't know anything about this guy, is he known to be an asshole randomly to people like that tweet that started this?

Did he think telling someone to "shut the fuck up" like that was funny?

I think its just people have enjoyed his work, be they articles or videos etc, and feel naturally disappointed that someone they were a fan of - in some respect - is a bit of a cock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom