• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nick Robinson (Polygon) involved in sexual harassment allegations [Suspended]

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

This is fucked, though. Dude seems like an asshole from his tweets alone. That dickish gamer personality attitude is so gd unappealing.

I followed him on Twitter briefly a couple of years ago and stopped because he seemed like such a dick. I'm kind of surprised so many in this thread seem to have been fans.

BTA

Apologize for not reading the entire thread besides the first two pages but is there any serious allegations outside of him trying to talk to a girl in a dm?

The DMs thing is a figure of speech (though I'm sure some of this happened in DMs). It was not literally just him talking to someone.

And it's way more than just a single person.

FWIW, Polygon no matter what still looked like a place of inclusiveness so this news is extra shitty.

It's unfortunate, but very common for guys like this to claim progressive morals and then do heinous shit like this. There have been multiple tumblr users in the more progressive/feminist spaces (who behave similarly to Robinson and have similar followings) who have been caught sexually harassing others - especially minors - or having had a history of that.

that, and being a white male feminist who fits the "soft boy" role basically guarantees you'll have people going to bat for you regardless of what you do or how you actually behave. Nick Robinson has a history of being a jackass to people outside of this, but because he's cultivated a "safe" (infantile) image, people overlook this or view it in the context of him just being this character.

CazTGG

Reading up on this...yeah, Robinson comes across as a creep and that Star Fox tweet was always terrible.

Innocent until proven guilty.

This isn't a court of law. Also, do you really think all these people are conspiring against Nick as opposed to the far more likely event that, yes, this is all true?

Kinyou

Not going to fault anyone for being afraid to unleash the wrath of GG on themselvees.
Considering how much GG hates polygon with a passion I wouldn't be surprised if they'd go after Nick in this instance. I can certainly understand that no one feels like taking that risk, though

Drey1082

I'm kinda surprised that if true this never got back to polygon in any form.

I think the bigger issue is if polygon was aware of any of these allegations or not. It seems like at least some people knew and this seems to be a very small industry.

Fisty

Ah man, I really enjoyed Car Boys and told Nick as much in person. He was no Griffin by any stretch, but he had his moments.

Shame. I hope the other folks involved can find some closure on this, its a really shitty situation all around

Urgh, even without the allegations, that original stuff is pretty uncalled for but the sexual harassment shit is far beyond the pale, obviously.

The_Kid

Considering how much GG hates polygon with a passion I wouldn't be surprised if they'd go after Nick in this instance. Can certainly understand though that no one feels like taking that risk.

From the small amount I browsed GG coverage of this they're taking it at face value and as a testament to how sjws are all hypocrites.

BTA

So I'm assuming you've never believed something just because people told you and instead waited for it to be decided in court, apparently?

I'm going by the interpretation of the events that this was an "open secret", which implicitly means that some people knew of his behavior but said nothing.

It was an open secret among his victims and their friends, which may or may not mean people who work with him knew anything, is my view right at this moment.

Mooreberg

They make social issues a major part of their brand but then do stuff like rarely (if ever) allow women to review AAA games, hire and continue employing people like Nick (assuming the allegations are true) despite his behavior seemingly being widely known behind the scenes. Seems fair enough to bring up the site, we'll see how they handle this but the public opinions of their editorial staff are often at odds with their actions.
It is weird because I would figure someone who relies on being known within a certain sphere (covering video games) to not really be sharing those aspects of his personality with friends or other journalists, but somehow Unity on Switch popped the cork and a lot of known information is spilling out. Saying it is a slander campaign sounds like believing in a conspiracy theory.

BTA

And she posted the damn DM's. I mean, what the fuck more proof do you people need? Do you need to literally see Nick type the damn tweets?

To prevent confusion: the image within an image in that tweet is something related to him being a jerk about Overcooked, not the DMs.

Unless you're seeing something I'm not.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This doesn't affect me as much as the JonTron thing did. But I still liked Nick. Especially Car Boys. At least I still have Russ and Simone's antics (Their current Spelunky stuff is really fun.) and the McElroys.

Hero

Will Polygon do the right thing and fire this asshole?

It's seriously so messed up that shit like this happens and the industry is this fucked up that scumbags can use their position to write about VIDEO GAMES (not that the industry matters) to sexually harass people. Nobody should ever have to put up with this shit and instead of tolerating or excusing it, these guilty people need to be dragged through the mud and properly ousted.

No, this all became public because someone was annoyed at his reaction to the Overcooked video from DF

This all started when he, allegedly, began targeting women in games for harassment

Right, I meant the whistleblowing started because of Overcooked.

Marcel

It was an open secret among his victims and their friends, which may or may not mean people who work with him knew anything, is my view right at this moment.

I guess we'll have to see what happens and what rocks are overturned. This is truly unfortunate for all the victims involved and it's why demonstrative, popular male allies in niche communities should be viewed with more skepticism in general.

Can't say I ever was a fan of him or his "brand" of humor, but either way this is pretty disgusting if true and signs are pointing to it being true.

Dantis

Is there actually anything substantial here? The OP doesn't seem to have any examples of what he's actually done.

DocSeuss

Nick Robinson was the reason I avoided Car Boys for so long. Always bugged me for some reason.

I know people in my offline life who were falsely accused by a large group of individuals over sex crimes. The case was eventually thrown out with prejudice when it became clear it was a targeted campaign against the men in question. As a result, I often find myself incredibly skeptical. I think society is too believing of people who throw allegations around, and there aren't enough defense mechanisms for the victims of false accusations. So personally, I'm hesitant to just condemn the guy, but at the same time, like Faraci, he always rubbed me the wrong way and I intentionally avoided him.

I'm somewhat surprised anyone is shocked that these allegations are coming forward. Like... given the way he's acted publicly, this doesn't surprise me.

So I'm not gonna hop on the GUILTY GUILTY train, because I can't have done that given my life experience, but I won't be surprised if it's true either.

BiggNife

Is there actually anything substantial here? The OP doesn't seem to have any examples of what he's actually done.

Is a number of people in the game industry confirming Nick has a reputation as a sexual harasser and Matt Kessler refusing to do another podcast with him not substantial?

Dominator

First of all, since it's the first thing I noticed in the OP, the fuck is up with him saying "shut the fuck up" to that one dude? Completely uncalled for.

Onto the allegations, too many people coming out for this to not hold some kind of weight. Hope he gets the justice that's coming

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
NR is just 'one of the boys' people need to understand he is far from the only one and not even close to the 'worst'

joecanada

You obviously don't understand law . What you quoted only applies to criminal law which does not affect other tribunals or hearings in any way. Fr example if 3 women at work said you harassed them try saying that in your HR meeting ....

Formless

Is a number of people in the game industry confirming Nick has a reputation as a sexual harasser and Matt Kessler refusing to do another podcast with him not substantial?

It's honestly hard to follow for someone who doesn't know all these personalities.

But yeah this isn't cool

I'm a bit lost. What did he do exactly?

If I understand correctly, some people came out and said this dude sent many girls direct me on Twitter but we have yet to see a content of those messages. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe some of the victims can screen cap the message and annonimously send to the press or their male colleague to expose him without being a target of Twitter harassment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom