• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata announced for PC, game shipping Early 2017 on both platforms

BigEmil

I said that because this game looks like a low budget game. Very unpolished. See beneath that Platinum flash and jazz and you'll see the game looks low budget, unpolished, mediocre.

You can see many videos of it on YouTube, also that boss fight no damages or scratches on it or nothing the cloth even gets no tears looks unfinished, the boss hardly reacts to what you do just soing it's scripted sequences. But enough of the boss and see the other gameplay videos of it too

Bl@de

Me too. I remember back in 2008 when people would laugh at the idea of something like this coming to the PC

Well-Whos-Laughing-Now-Dwight-Schrute.gif

NEqOJJX.gif

SgtCobra

Geez this PC vs console bullshit is worse than the console wars of last gen.

I said that because this game looks like a low budget game. Very unpolished. See beneath that Platinum flash and jazz and you'll see the game looks low budget, unpolished, mediocre.

You can see many videos of it on YouTube, also that boss fight no damages or scratches on it or nothing the cloth even gets no tears looks unfinished, the boss hardly reacts to what you do just soing it's scripted sequences. But enough of the boss and see the other gameplay videos of it too
The game's still in development.

I'm sure I could just google this but I reckon someone could be more informative here. The gameplay and tone appeals to me a lot, especially now that it is coming to PC too, but I have not played any of the first game. Can I go into this game blind, or should I do some research on the original first? I've heard interesting things about the endings and some plot points before but I couldn't tell you what actually happens in it.

AlucardGV

Banned

we'll have to see for the game being unpolished and low budget, it's a 2017 game. But Nier is and shouldn't be flash and jazz, it's not his style.

I'm sure I could just google this but I reckon someone could be more informative here. The gameplay and tone appeals to me a lot, especially now that it is coming to PC too, but I have not played any of the first game. Can I go into this game blind, or should I do some research on the original first? I've heard interesting things about the endings and some plot points before but I couldn't tell you what actually happens in it.

you'll probably lose some references but the game is set many years years after the first nier 4th ending so you can play it without worrying too much

BigEmil

The game's still in development.
This will be getting the Star Ocean 5 treatment from SE, ive set my expectations low for this game I finished the original Nier few months ago too since people recommended it and it was a god awful game, I don't know if it's nostalgia making people like it more than they actually did.. I'd even have preferred a Drakenguard sequel from Yoko Taro instead of Nier tbh.

You can go in blind but don't expect a straight forward action game. Since it very much is an RPG.

There will be some things from the first for those who played the first can enjoy, (just small things) but the games are two different contained experiences. So playing the first isn't necessary

Glass Rebel

They said in a recent interview that you don't have to play the first one to get the story of Automata. NieR itself was sort of a followup to one of the endings of Drakengard and I assume Automata will be the same but aside from some cool nods here and there, you won't miss anything substantial.

That said, you should absolutely check out the first if you can. It's one of the most unique games of the last console generation.

Gbraga

I really disagree. Looks higher budget than pretty much any other Platinum game, except Scalebound.

With the animations, visuals and running at 60fps, I also think it's absurd to call it unpolished.

BigEmil

I really disagree. Looks higher budget than pretty much any other Platinum game, except Scalebound.

With the animations, visuals and running at 60fps, I also think it's absurd to call it unpolished.
Compare Automata to Devil May Cry. You'll straight away see this is a poor man's Devil May Cry, it really pales in comparison.

Or different people like different things.

Inconceivable

Or maybe I was nostalgic in 2010 for a 2010 game. Who knows!
Yeah I know people have different opinions but it's just soo bad compared to many games I played.

Hektor

Today I woke and looked outside again, but the sky looked the same to me...
Something told me that this world had changed, couldn't figure out what did it mean.

Wrong game!

You can go into this game blind, it takes place in the same universe but that's it, references will be there, but the game will be its own standalone story.

The developer said this and this has been so far yoko taros modus operandi.

Playing the first Nier can never hurt tho because of how great it is. If you ever get the chance to, you should absolutely do it.

Gbraga

Compare Automata to Devil May Cry. You'll straight away see this is a poor man's Devil May Cry, it really pales in comparison.

I completely disagree. It's not even trying to be the same kind of game.

It most likely won't scratch the mechanical depth of something like DMC 3 or 4, but DMC is a game made completely around said mechanical depth, it also doesn't feature many of the things you can expect from a Nier game.

And I fucking love DMC.

Wrong game!

THE WIND IS PUSHING MEEEEE

Cheers for all the responses guys, it being an RPG just makes it better for me. Will try and pick up more information about the original, but probably won't get a chance to actually play it. Backlog is way too big as it is.

wmlk

We don't know but judging by the gameplay videos the flying robots are taking Weiss' place and they seem to have at least an attack that looks like Dark Blast. Not technically magic but close.
Better not be as shallow as the original. The words thing was a mess too.

SilentRob

Can't watch it right now, someone post a summary when they can?

There's quite a bit there about possible Anime adaptions, Nier concerts in the west, framerate and resolution restrictions on PC and the general weirdness of Yoko Taro. I'd guess it's probably enough to open a new thread but, you know, opening threads about your own videos isn't really seen nicely upon here. Sooo...*hint hint cough cough* :D

Hektor

Can't watch it right now, someone post a summary when they can?

There's quite a bit there about possible Anime adaptions, Nier concerts in the west, framerate and resolution restrictions on PC and the general weirdness of Yoko Taro. I'd guess it's probably enough to open a new thread but, you know, opening threads about your own videos isn't really seen nicely upon here. Sooo...*hint hint* ;D

I can mak a thread once i watched it (5 more minutes to go)

€: I hope i covered the important bits, but feel free to add information.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=214835835

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Good watch!

Did Saito san say they are only planning a 1080p 60fps version for PC? No 4K or higher frame rate?

Framerate cap is unfortunately to be expected of Japanese developers. I swear the first lesson in the Big Book of Japanese Game Development is "tie everything to the framerate." At least it's 60 and not 30.

Resolution limit on the other hand, that's just lame. Especially if it just ends up being 1080p max based on the comments about a "lower quality/spec" version.

This will be getting the Star Ocean 5 treatment from SE, ive set my expectations low for this game I finished the original Nier few months ago too since people recommended it and it was a god awful game, I don't know if it's nostalgia making people like it more than they actually did.. I'd even have preferred a Drakenguard sequel from Yoko Taro instead of Nier tbh.

But Drakengard is an even poorer Devil May Cry game.

Top Bottom