• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata announced for PC, game shipping Early 2017 on both platforms

shiyrley

Banned
It's good those PC gamers that spent all their pocket money building a PC get to play this now, once a sale hits.
axCZmLx.jpg

AlucardGV

Banned
It's good that the game is releasing on PC day and date With the console version.

That will allow the PC version exposure through console marketing and media coverage, as opposed to releasing down the line with no marketing and reduced media coverage.

Will mean both releases are more likely to be successful and raising the possibility of a remaster.

not sure how pc release will improve both releases since it will mean some of the console folk will cancel their order and switch to pc. it's not gonna add sales from thin air

Grief.exe

not sure how pc release will improve both releases since it will mean some of the console folk will cancel their order and switch to pc.

The implication being that if Square maximizes their revenue potential, then that will increase the likelihood of a remaster and NieR 3 given the greenlight with Platinum.

it's not gonna add sales from thin air

It literally will increase sales from thin air, that is the entire purpose of marketing. The cross promotion available from advertisement and media coverage for the console release will translate to increased consumer knowledge and a bump in sales.
When PC games are delayed from the console release, they receive objectively less media coverage and almost no marketing, which will categorically reduce sales.

QLOC better be working on the PC port... I know that's just wishful thinking.

Platinum seems to have a solid pipeline in place that is improving with each release.

There's also some rumors that they don't want their work being farmed out to outside studios for ports anymore.

I'm throwing out Ninja Turtles as there was obviously done extreme budget limitations courtesy of Activision.

not sure how pc release will improve both releases since it will mean some of the console folk will cancel their order and switch to pc. it's not gonna add sales from thin air
He means that it'll increase the general profile of the game. The added buzz and exposure a PC release provides (Twitch streaming and such is still most popular and lucrative on PC) will help bring more attention to the release as a whole, including potential PS4 purchases.

This wouldn't be possible if there were a staggered release, since companies rarely market re-releases.

It's quite amusing how some people have no idea whatsoever about the PC market and believe the people only buy games when they hit 5$. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

If anything, No Man Sky is a recent antithesis to that. It was 59.99 everywhere on PC with no discounts(unless you were a humble bundle subscriber) and sold 700,000 copies( and that's not even taking into account GOG sales).

If anything, No Man Sky is a recent antithesis to that. It was 59.99 everywhere on PC with no discounts(unless you were a humble bundle subscriber) and sold 700,000 copies( and that's not even taking into account GOG sales).

I don't have a PC and I'm getting automata on the ps4 and I have to say the PC crowd is getting a bad representation. Sure, some will wait for a sale and some will pirate the game but there's a significant amount who will support automata and automata isn't a game that should be refusing sales.

automata isn't a game that should be refusing sales.

Holy fuck this. This so much haha

I mean obviously most of us here are NieR fans with some newcomers, so I don't get why people are against NieR gaining more sales. I would love to see a 3rd NieR at some point but that probably won't happen without NieR selling decently well. Now I doubt this game sells a crazy amount or anything but I think it will sell pretty well and this will only help rather than hurt.

Grief.exe

The top poster in this thread has never even played NieR.

Sure, some will wait for a sale...

A point to be made here is the amount of ignorance it takes to even twist this narrative into a negative is astoundingly ignorant.

Yes, people wait for a sale, but the PC market is also growing massively in places like Russia, Asia, and South America where the average income isn't as high. The sales from the game basically go on indefinitely, where console revenue begin to stagnate relatively quickly as the sales begin to be eaten by the used market.

There are two different markets. Console revenue tends to be more frontloaded, while PC revenue is becoming more front loaded as well, the advantage comes on the backend. The nice thing about PC from av revenue standpoint is it's over 95% digital, which translates to higher margins for the developer/publisher. Oftentimes, the PC revenue is equivalent or above the console revenue with reduced sales.

The top poster in this thread has never even played NieR.
Yeah, the game is doing a good job so far appealing to new or non-fans of the first game. I've never played NieR and have no desire to (controls and animation look janky as fuck, the music is repetitive and I don't understand the praise it gets, and the VA and cutscene direction are corny).

This game looks like a complete turnaround (even the music is better, and it's from the same composer!). Even if the story is shit and ends up aimed at the never outgrew Toonami crowd, at least this looks fun to play.

Hektor

Yeah, the game is doing a good job so far appealing to new or non-fans of the first game. I've never played NieR and have no desire to (controls and animation look janky as fuck, the music is repetitive and I don't understand the praise it gets, and the VA and cutscene direction are corny).

This game looks like a complete turnaround (even the music is better, and it's from the same composer!). Even if the story is shit and ends up aimed at the never outgrew Toonami crowd, at least this looks fun to play.

Wat

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Very happy its coming out on PC, as more sales means more work for Yoko Taro and I believe his brand of eccentric game design is crucial, particularly for the Japanese scene.

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the inevitable fanboyism regarding technical comparisons.

I'd only seen a GIF of that particular boss in the E3 video before, and didn't care about NieR (or Automata) at all. Thanks to the PC announcement I looked up the game and I'm very hyped for Automata!

I'd like to thank the existing NieR fans for being so vocal that the sequel can be brought to Steam! ^^;

I watched the entire game on a YouTube Let's Play. It's not nearly as deep and affecting as it wants to be. It's a very juvenile depiction of existential angst, and since I consume media other than video games, was unmoved by it.

Jeez :lol I get what you mean but good lord this comes off quite pretentious.

I consume a lot of different media than video games and I am sure others do too but NieR's story for a video game is fantastic, sure maybe have different tastes and opinions, but overall the story has been praised and not just by fans but by media when it was first released too.

Despera

Banned
I watched the entire game on a YouTube Let's Play. It's not nearly as deep and affecting as it wants to be. It's a very juvenile depiction of existential angst, and since I consume media other than video games, was unmoved by it.
If you think that they were aiming for a deep story... then you haven't consumed enough media.

oSoLucky

Have their last few games have been better? Their only PC game I have experience with is MGR, and needing to use a workaround to get it to run at 1440p.

Any input on this? I remember FF13 being a bad port also and needing help to run higher than 1080p30 or something of the sort. I haven't kept up much with SE or Platinum on the PC front lately besides the FF9 release.

Capcom, Square, Konami, Sega, and Back have basically gone all in on the platform in varying capacities. Sega has quietly acquired so many PC developers that they have become one of the most successful publishers on the platform and derive a large percentage of their revenue from PC.

Small Japanese publishing houses have basically set up shop and are pumping out title after title.

It's been quite the quick change.

I'd like if 2 of my favorite JP pubs, Altus and NIS put more of their games up on Steam. I sold my 3DS/Vita/PS3 and it would be cool to have a means to play games like Radiant Historia and Etrian Odyssey without resorting to emulation. Disgaea gsmes besides that part 1 remake would he great also. D2 and 5 at least.

Grief.exe

Has there been a shift in the number of japanese games on PC in recent years?

Capcom, Square, Konami, Sega, Arksys, and Namco have basically gone all in on the platform in varying capacities. Sega has quietly acquired so many PC developers that they have become one of the most successful publishers on the platform and derive a large percentage of their revenue from PC.

Small Japanese publishing houses have basically set up shop and are pumping out title after title.

It's been quite the radical change in a relatively short period of time.

Zedark

No surprises here, the developer already refused to say the game was exclusive to PS4 (in fact, when specifically asked, he said they hadn't decided on the platforms yet). Looking forward to it, sadly I can't seem to find a good deal on the first Nier anywhere (the Netherlands is quite bad for getting unpopular games) :/

No surprises here, the developer already refused to say the game was exclusive to PS4 (in fact, when specifically asked, he said they hadn't decided on the platforms yet). Looking forward to it, sadly I can't seem to find a good deal on the first Nier anywhere (the Netherlands is quite bad for getting unpopular games) :/

It's only 25$ on US amazon so if shipping isn't too much then you might pull the trigger there.

(idk what is a good deal for you)

Crayon

I think that some games can benefit or maybe be of more benefit when exclusive but not Nier. For this particular game and it's potential audience, this PC release is like the best possible news. That's from the perspective of the makers and fans of the game and the Nier series itself. Even from Sony's perspective, this is good news.

Awesome! Thanks so much for posting this!

—Is the development going well?

Saito: Yes. Just, we’re aiming for a worldwide, simultaneous release (which includes the PC version), so the Japanese version will be fine; we’re just worried that we’ll have problems with the QA (Quality Assurance) for the International version.

I think they will be able to do it! Hope it finishes up well

—Will the PC version be 4K (Ultra HD)?

Saito: That hasn’t been decided yet, but we’d like to try for it. Simply, NieR:Automata runs at 60fps, but to run at 4K with 60fps, you might have to beef up your computer……

Nice to see this confirmed again.

Gbraga

It blows my mind how good this game looks for a 60fps game.

Even without considering that I think it looks amazing, they're nailing the visuals.

And the best part is that they've managed to capture "the Nier feel" quite well. The first game looks kinda like ass, so even if it didn't resemble Nier at all it could still be a major upgrade, but the fact that they kept the identity (at least in my opinion), but manage to make it look this good and run this smooth, it's just unbelievable.

It's probably a lot smaller in scale compared to Scalebound, but it looks so much better. There's also the hardware difference, though.

Even without considering that I think it looks amazing, they're nailing the visuals.

And the best part is that they've managed to capture "the Nier feel" quite well. The first game looks kinda like ass, so even if it didn't resemble Nier at all it could still be a major upgrade, but the fact that they kept the identity (at least in my opinion), but manage to make it look this good and run this smooth, it's just unbelievable.

It's probably a lot smaller in scale compared to Scalebound, but it looks so much better. There's also the hardware difference, though.

I'm far more hyped for Automata than Scalebound. And I'm a Kamiya fanboy. But that's also because Automata looks amazing while Scalebound doesn't look too hot :/

Yeah they really have done a fantastic job so far. Everything about this so far has been awesome and looks extremely promising. It's great to not be worried about the game but at the same time my cynicism is creeping because everything we have heard and seen seems so fucking good.

But I am just beyond happy we are getting another NieR and I know I will love whatever Taro delivers

Gbraga

I'm far more hyped for Automata than Scalebound. And I'm a Kamiya fanboy. But that's also because Automata looks amazing while Scalebound doesn't look too hot :/

I'm really excited to see what's ahead for Taura. Obviously having Taro Yoko as director is a huge factor to how good this game seems to be, but the lead designer can't be too bad himself when you look at the game.

Well, I guess I'm not that excited to see Taura as a director, because the best case scenario would be another collaboration, with that exact same team :p

Yeah they really have done a fantastic job so far. Everything about this so far has been awesome and looks extremely promising. It's great to not be worried about the game but at the same time my cynicism is creeping because everything we have heard and seen seems so fucking good.

But I am just beyond happy we are getting another NieR and I know I will love whatever Taro delivers

I defintely know what you mean. Some times I ask myself "so what is the catch? Is it super short compared to the first or something?", because it's just too good to be true.

Thinking rationally, though, what's surprising to me is that the biggest reason I can think of for this game not being so good is Taro Yoko himself. Not that I doubt he has the quality, but I'm just not that fond of the whole alien invasion shenanigan. That being said, it does seem to take a backseat during the actual game, and most of what we know about it comes from prior knowledge. If we didn't get all of the stuff we got outside of the game itself, I'm sure none of us would even imagine there was an alien invasion, no matter how much we loved the first one. So I hope it's still more... "toned down", I guess? Like Nier felt to me. Drakengard is totally insane and I love that, but Nier was always more subtle and less about shock, and I'm hoping they keep that for the sequel.

I defintely know what you mean. Some times I ask myself "so what is the catch? Is it super short compared to the first or something?", because it's just too good to be true.

Thinking rationally, though, what's surprising to me is that the biggest reason I can think of for this game not being so good is Taro Yoko himself. Not that I doubt he has the quality, but I'm just not that fond of the whole alien invasion shenanigan. That being said, it does seem to take a backseat during the actual game, and most of what we know about it comes from prior knowledge. If we didn't get all of the stuff we got outside of the game itself, I'm sure none of us would even imagine there was an alien invasion, no matter how much we loved the first one. So I hope it's still more... "toned down", I guess? Like Nier felt to me. Drakengard is totally insane and I love that, but Nier was always more subtle and less about shock, and I'm hoping they keep that for the sequel.

Yeah but nothing we have seen or heard has pointed to anything worrying... So I am glad that this is a nice hype and even happier that we haven't had to wait long from announcement.

I think Taro will deliver. It will be weird and unique and we will love it lol but I think that part will be toned down. It will be told in the background or through expanded things like the Drama CD and stuff

Gbraga

Yeah but nothing we have seen or heard has pointed to anything worrying... So I am glad that this is a nice hype and even happier that we haven't had to wait long from announcement.

I think Taro will deliver. It will be weird and unique and we will love it lol but I think that part will be toned down. It will be told in the background or through expanded things like the Drama CD and stuff

Hopefully this time they'll localize this stuff >_<

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase NieR Automata for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel NieR Automata for PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Top Bottom