• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata passes 2 million shipments + downloads

I contributed last week :)
A really refreshing and mad game that I'd think no notable publisher would greenlight so congrats to Square and Platinum.

Game is awesome so far and the only Platinum game that's clicked for me and I've enjoyed.

Nier had a very long tail. I'd been ignoring it until a lot of content makers on youtube pointed out stuff about the first game and how it all links into those terrible Drakengard games on PS2 so I got into it through that (and even played the shitty dragon games also).

It's a cool series and I hope they go and branch off a new series off another game's ending or something instead of doing more stuff with Automata.

UrbanRats

So, PC fans gonna' avoid the next Nier or they'll eat that up too even if the PC devs treat it the same?

I would've asked for a refund on this one, but i didn't buy it off Steam.
Next one i'll avoid for sure, until it's dirt cheap anyway.

I also bought this on sale, for that very reason, but i didn't predict FAR crashing my game after a while, or i would've skipped it.

Too bad, because it was by far my most anticipated game, this year.

Soar

I mean, that's why I bought it.

Pretty sure it helped yeah, though for me when I saw the art before it was released, immediately brushed it off as another esoteric shallow action game. Oh how wrong I was when I read about the story here on GAF and decided to take the plunge.

KidB

Well deserved. One of the best games this year and that says a lot because 2017 has been incredible for gaming.

Would have sold even better if the PC port was actually good.

I think it would have sold far more if the regional chinese pricing wasnt that high.

One of the most important regions lately (most owners of PUBG are from China and that game has regional chinese pricing) and S-E decided to make it more expensive than the $ price in China...

Yeshua

I think it would have sold far more if the regional chinese pricing wasnt that high.

One of the most important regions lately (most owners of PUBG are from China and that game has regional chinese pricing) and S-E decided to make it more expensive than the $ price in China...

Absolutely true, that + putting the Chinese localization in the PC version would have helped the game quite a bit.

StereoVsn

Good for them but the fact that they still haven't patched PC version is ridiculous and inexcusable. I guess SE decided that they don't give a shit since they sold enough copies. Hell, PS4 version could use some optimization as well.

Kikujiro

Remember when Wada said he wanted to make Nier a new pillar for S-E? Now it's actually happening, someone should give Yosuke Saito a raise.

killatopak

I still remember in a what to buy andromeda or autamata thread that there were some people telling me NieR was gonna bomb like hell.

I love this game even though the 9S route is a total slog, but did this really sell two million because ass?
2b
's ass
seems to have had a decent influence on the games sales giving how incredibly popular she is online.

it may have had an influence on my purchase as well.

Surfside

Banned
Well deserved, this game will stay in my mind for a long time. The pc version while unoptimized and having
some bugs, did not hamper the experience for me one bit. Though it is sad that Square doesn't seem to care
about their games anymore, once they are realeased,
on pc at least. They could garner so much goodwill,
if they did.

Bayonetta was a million pretty sure.

I'm pretty sure mgr is over 2 million?

Bayonetta is considered a sales disappointment, explicitly stated by one of the Platinum higher-ups in an interview.

MGR sold really well in Japan but didn't fare too well elsewhere. If it reached over 2 million then that was thanks to some rapid discounts.

If someone said to me that a nier game would reach 1Mil I would have called them crazy. What a world we live in. And I couldn't be happier that taro + platinum get this level of success.

FinalAres

It getting its own business division was a mistake on my part, it just now has its own recruitment page (the only Business Division 6 series with one for now).

Oh, my bad! To be fair a whole new BD for Nier seemed like a weird decision, even with its success.

Koopatrol

Great game. Finally beat it in August after taking about a 3 month break due to school stuff and Persona. The game irritated me at times, but the payoff was worth it.

Boss Mog

And yet you can bet that Nier and Persona 5 will most likely be ignored come the Game Awards. If Nier doesn't at least win best music then the Game Awards are truly a farce.

DKHF

Oh, my bad! To be fair a whole new BD for Nier seemed like a weird decision, even with its success.
Haha nah it was my fault for writing the incorrect thread title. Regardless though, them putting up that page for NieR and their comments on it (Taro saying it appears there will be various developments for NieR) shows significant dedication to the series going forward.

Exentryk

Yoko Taro curse and Platinum curse cancelled each other out! Well deserved! My GOTY.

Also good to hear they're hiring more people to help write side quest plots and other scenario work, so I'm really looking forward to the next NieR.

RalchAC

This damn game is nowhere to be found in Spain, which is weird because the distributor said the game would be available at a reduced price (40€) for a few weeks.

You can't find it in Game, neither in Media Markt, FNAC, Amazon or Shop4es. Amazon only has resellers selling the game over full price.

Grabbed it from a trusted Ebay seller for 33€ a few minutes ago. It's going to take a while, guess I'll try to finish Bloodborne in the meanwhile.

LotusHD

Banned
giphy.webp

Kazuhira

So, PC fans gonna' avoid the next Nier or they'll eat that up too even if the PC devs treat it the same?

Great game but i'm not falling for it again.
If they start giving a fuck soon and patch this thing i'll reconsider it,but right now is a big no.

OldMuffin

I've heard some less than favourable things about the pc port, but exactly what is wrong with it? Thinking about picking it up just to throw some additional support their way even if I've played and completed the PS4 version. Just love it to death.

ChazGW7

A game that smashed into my top 10 favourite games of all time upon completion, a truly sensational experience imo.

Top Bottom