• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

I don't think getting a version that routinely drops into the 40s (and below) FPS wise while running at 900p is a solution for your dislike of it running at 59,8 FPS.
900p is the standard PS4 version though. I would play it on the Pro.

Anyway, try getting rid of anything external, run the game in borderless fullscreen, and use RTSS' frame limiter at 60. That's what I do, and it's perfectly smooth for me in gameplay at 2560x1440 on a 1080.
Thanks, will give it a try.

I kind of don't get this. DF did profile the game on the both the pro and regular ps4. You're likely to get even worse performance on those.
I feel like the demo ran fine. Or maybe it's just that I didn't notice as much since the PS4 version doesn't have any fps info constantly reminding me of how it runs.
And then there's still the choppy cutscenes on the PC version.

900p is the standard PS4 version though. I would play it on the Pro.

The pro at 1080p has larger drops than you're seeing on your machine for sure.

The demo ran fine because it was the opening area before you even got to the open world. Once you hit the open world, the framerate drops on both ps4 models as well.

Though I will admit the pop-in is less noticeable on the ps4 for some reason.

edit - I should be clear, though.. the PS4 pro maintains 60 fps more often than it doesn't.. it just doesn't have a perfect framerate, either. Foliage areas in particular you will feel significant drops on the Pro.

Pixieking

Banned
With regards to that cut-scene re-encode/mod. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887370335

Breedloved [author] 10 hours ago
Thanks to user Lulech23, we may know the reason it works for some and not others. The bit rate of the videos can run upwards of 38mb/second or more. I capped the videos at 40mb/second to preserve the originals' quality, but it may be that dropping the bit rate down to a more reasonable 15mb/s will smooth out all videos. Testing now and will upload a lower bit rate version if it works better.

It may be the video-decompression can't keep up so there's stuttering. This'd explain some reported audio-lag, too. I've encoded the vids to a maximum 28mbps (which is still way overkill), and will report back, but I haven't even started playing the game yet. Someone could maybe replicate a stutter, find that video and re-enc it to a lower bitrate?

Edit: Also, don't know if people already know or care, but the res on the cut-scenes is 1600x904/16:9.

The pro at 1080p has larger drops than you're seeing on your machine for sure.

The demo ran fine because it was the opening area before you even got to the open world. Once you hit the open world, the framerate drops on both ps4 models as well.

Though I will admit the pop-in is less noticeable on the ps4 for some reason.

Did you play both the PS4 Pro and the PC version (on a high end rig)?

edit - I should be clear, though.. the PS4 pro maintains 60 fps more often than it doesn't.. it just doesn't have a perfect framerate, either. Foliage areas in particular you will feel significant drops on the Pro.
That doesn't sound so bad?

With regards to that cut-scene re-encode/mod. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887370335

It may be the video-decompression can't keep up so there's stuttering. This'd explain some reported audio-lag, too. I've encoded the vids to a maximum 28mbps (which is still way overkill), and will report back, but I haven't even started playing the game yet. Someone could maybe replicate a stutter, find that video and re-enc it to a lower bitrate?

Edit: Also, don't know if people already know or care, but the res on the cut-scenes is 1600x904/16:9.
Hm, is there a "download all" button or do I have to save every of those files individually?

Anteater

Is the AO in this game supposed to be this crappy? Turning it off and then injecting MXAO via ReShade is massively better.

yea, it's bad, I remember it even pops in and out at some angles and they also look bad, I'm only using it because it has post processing AA that comes with it lol

Did you play both the PS4 Pro and the PC version (on a high end rig)?

yes. I have a Titan XP and I completed the game on a ps4 pro.

the game on ps4 pro is not unplayable or anything, I just think you're likely to have a better experience w/ the game on your PC since you have a 1080.

If users are having to re-encode the videos, it'll be nice if Square would do the job properly and put up higher quality videos as a optional download themselves.

I saw something about a cutscene fix? That's the only issue I have so far, is that cutscenes run at 10 fps seemingly at random. What do I need to do to fix it?

Gtx 1080, if that matters.

Edit Nvm. Caught up with the thread. Wrote this post thirty minutes ago and didn't see anything at the time.

gngf123

When the GI fix goes live, I hope we can modify the array size. I'd be interested in trying different values to see the performance hit and how different it looks.

I'm thinking setting it to 64 would be close to the original appearance but could give me just enough of a performance boost to stabilize my 60fps.

Momentary

Banned
Seems that the only things that needs fixing/impoving in this game are:

Global Illumination - Seems to be the MAIN performance hog for the game
Video Encoding
AO - Just looks bad
Framerate limiter - causes hitching. Could be fixed as soon as today by Kaldaien.

The game runs fine if you adjust settings accordingly. I played a good bit last night at 1440p with 8xMSAA and then I switched over to 3.3K resolution with no MSAA. The game ran just fine. Even the cut scenes were going by smoothly.

Got comparison pics? How big is the performance impact of MXAO?

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/203751

Paragon

Since we talked about stutter on the previous page, I just looked for it specifically. Even when traversing the main city area, mounted, at maximum speed, I think I dropped at most a frame or two going from one end of it to the other. And that's the most stutter-prone gameplay area. It actually seems even better now than it was before. (Might also be related to the layout changes of the area of course (story related).
I got around to recording and cutting together a short clip to show how it's running for me. (MP4)

Running from the resistance camp to the desert stutters four or five times, generally in the same places if I follow the same path.
Definitely seems like a data streaming issue. I'm running the game on a fast SATA3 SSD. The VRAM usage is curious too.
The game is otherwise locked to 60 FPS at 1080p with no MSAA. (video recorded at 720p)

Anyone know whether mouse acceleration can be turned off or not?
Never got to play MGR because of that and I somehow doubt things are different this time around.
There's no fix for it yet, unfortunately.
Gamepad inputs have the same acceleration problem, so no touchpad/gyro aiming on a Steam Controller either.
I have to play with a DualShock 4 instead, which is not my preferred controller.

Bulzeeb

well I have been playing the game at 1080p using the window mode with that borderless app at 60 fps with some drops just fine, here are my specs for anyone if interested

qErGDBd.png

I was able to add some anti aliasing but the game started to generate some input lag so I had to turn it off, I might try that ReShade or injectSMAA thing later to see how it goes.

edit:
Kaldaien on steam released his Nier Automata fix

it will be nice to have an all in one fix now.

ok, I might give it a chance to see if I can get some performance increase

ezodagrom

DSOGaming: Modder has figured out a way to almost double the performance of N:A.

You can try it out by compiling some code into a .dll and injecting it, but no official release so far.
DrDaxxy (the modder mentioned in the link) posted about it last page. ^^
Alright, I've managed to improve performance by 30-60% (in 4K, on a 980 Ti, a friend reports more than doubled performance on a low-end mobile GPU).

Here's the visual differences (and framerate impact). Warning: if you haven't completed Route A you may find this a bit of a spoiler.
http://diff.pics/VBmFSLj8bn95/1
http://diff.pics/VBmFSLj8bn95/2

Expect to see a fix incorporating this change soon.

Pooya

Seems like a very good trade off, the difference isn't something anyone would notice normally. Waiting for the fix now, good thing I haven't played much yet.

gelf

Was thinking of just getting the PS4 version but this new mod has me interested. If it can make the game tolerable on a 660 I'll go back to my preferred route of PC.

Pixieking

Banned
Is it safe to watch? I only played 20 mins...

It'll be safe up to a point - they seem to be numbered relative to where they are in the game. So, lowest number is a cut-scene from the tutorial. But I wouldn't want to say where the point which becomes a spoiler is for you.

Durante

Ah, that's good news.

Seems like it's really not THAT far from being a perfectly serviceable port.
It's already a more than serviceable port if you put in 60 seconds to set up borderless fullscreen and the RTSS frame limiter. (service it, so to speak ;))

It's a few small fixes away from being a good port for everyone.
(It's further away from being a very technically accomplished game, but that has nothing to do with the port)

CPCunha

So after installing new storage (OMG NVMe islightning fast) i moved the steam games to a new location using steam's own thing... but seems like i lost my fresh save... anyway to recover that?

kewlmyc

It's already a more than serviceable port if you put in 60 seconds to set up borderless fullscreen and the RTSS frame limiter.

(It's further away from being a very technically accomplished game, but that has nothing to do with the port)

Do any of those fix the cutscene issue?

JustinBB7

Does that mod fix also fix the white crashes? Because I don't wanna replay that entire part all over more than once before I can save again.

NeoRaider

Ok i played for 15-20 minutes just to test everything and at 1080p resolution, AA off and everything else on High it never dropped below 60. With AA 2x it was 55-60.

1440p/AA off fps was around 45-50.

I don't have problem with resolutions when playing in fullscreen but is there a way to remove mouse cursor during the gameplay and cutscenes? It's there all the time.

NeoRaider

BTW. I think that game looks much better in motion compared to the screenshots. It's one of those games when screenshots just don't do it justice. Animations are insane.

wbEMX

Any GTX 970 folks here who can tell me how well it runs on their rigs? What settings can I use for stable 60fps playback? Using an i7-4790K and 8GB 1333MHz RAM.

JustinBB7

Any GTX 970 folks here who can tell me how well it runs on their rigs? What settings can I use for stable 60fps playback? Using an i7-4790K and 8GB 1333MHz RAM.

I have about the same, only 16GB ram, and it runs fine as long as you turn of the AA.

The main problem I have is white screen crashes though. I didn't crash first few days, but now past 3 days I've crashed twice every night. Lost a lot of progress because of it and it's pissing me off.

Durante

BTW. I think that game looks much better in motion compared to the screenshots. It's one of those games when screenshots just don't do it justice. Animations are insane.
That's what I've been saying from the start.

People claim this about a lot of games, but it's really particularly true about Nier:A.

Kindekuma

Banned

Got an MSI GTX 970, (with an i7 3770K, 8GB DDR3 2133MHz) and in the City Ruins open area it runs at around 56-60FPS. Settings on high, AA is turned off. Game runs at a solid 60 in enclosed areas or smaller spaces, just the huge open areas dip below 60 for me.

CHC

It's already a more than serviceable port if you put in 60 seconds to set up borderless fullscreen and the RTSS frame limiter. (service it, so to speak ;))

I don't actually have it yet, but by "serviceable" I just meant not needing third party apps to really run in the most efficient way. Granted, it's a cinch to set up, but it would be ideal if it could just do those few things natively.

Don't really care that much one way or another about technical accomplishment. I'm interested in this game for other reasons. It's never going to be that beautiful anyway.

Durante

Don't really care that much one way or another about technical accomplishment. I'm interested in this game for other reasons. It's never going to be that beautiful anyway.
It's already beautiful in motion, as long as you don't focus much on the environments.
Ask NeoRaider ;)

It's certainly a far more aesthetically pleasing game than Nier 1 was (which was my GotY despite being fugly).

J_Viper

Hmmmm, maybe I should wait for that official patch to hit

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like I shouldn't be having dips below 60 with an 6600k/1070 combo

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Hmmmm, maybe I should wait for that official patch to hit

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like I shouldn't be having dips below 60 with an 6600k/1070 combo

You're going to get dips no matter what when it's loading in new geometry. The engine regardless of platform or hardware simply isn't great. It's not a matter of graphical horsepower.

Top Bottom