• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Is this something that I can copy and paste in the DXGI.dll that is created with Kaldaien's FAR mod?

According to the steam forums, Kal is working to incorporate the hooks into FAR so he can either do it in his mod or hook into DrDaxxy's dll if he wants to build it.

It's coming if we just sit tight, I think.

gngf123

Hmmmm, maybe I should wait for that official patch to hit

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like I shouldn't be having dips below 60 with an 6600k/1070 combo

Very short dips when loading new areas? That could be the streaming issue. Some people have reported running the game from an SSD helps with that.

Otherwise, check you've got AA disabled. Solid 60fps @ 1080p with only post processing AA (not MSAA) and everything else turned up should be very easy to get with your setup.

NeoRaider

So... no one answered me can i remove the mouse cursor that is visible all the time? Even when using XB1 controller. Please.

Gbraga

Are you liking the motion blur? It looks terrible to me from videos, but I didn't actually test it while playing myself. I do generally enjoy motion blur, btw, so it's not a case of always turning it off like some people seem to.

SF V had a similar motion blur on higher settings, that actually make me run the post proc. option at Medium settings just to get rid of that.

Durante

Are you liking the motion blur? It looks terrible to me from videos, but I didn't actually test it while playing myself. I do generally enjoy motion blur, btw, so it's not a case of always turning it off like some people seem to.

SF V had a similar motion blur on higher settings, that actually make me run the post proc. option at Medium settings just to get rid of that.

The game has fantastic object motion blur.
I'd classify it, the particle effects, character animations and volumetric lighting in some scenes as its graphical highlights.

(And I'm someone who hates bad motion blur implementations and often turns them off entirely)

kiriin

Hmmmm, maybe I should wait for that official patch to hit

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like I shouldn't be having dips below 60 with an 6600k/1070 combo

Are you using Kaldaien's fix? I have the same hardware, without the fix I have not experience any frame drops at all, 1080p, 2xAA, everything else max.

Gbraga

The game has fantastic object motion blur.
I'd classify it, the particle effects, character animations and volumetric lighting in some scenes as its graphical highlights.

(And I'm someone who hates bad motion blur implementations and often turns them off entirely)

Seems like you have a much lower tolerance for shitty motion blur than me, then. I guess I'll give it a shot

Kindekuma

Banned
Are you using borderless gaming?

If so, Windows key + scroll lock

You just blew my mind.

I only have to deal with the mouse showing on screen when I play this over my Steam Link. I forget the Steam Link lets you use KB+M so I kept going to the other room the move the mouse over (like the dummy I am). This is a way better solution lol

ymgve

Are you using Kaldaien's fix? I have the same hardware, without the fix I have not experience any frame drops at all, 1080p, 2xAA, everything else max.

Same here, with the Kaldaien fix I had frequent pauses/frame drops as it was streaming in new world data - without the fix it was a near perfect 60fps.

Would rather live with the bad 900p upscaled than have constant frame drops, so I reverted the fix.

Ghazi

Same here, with the Kaldaien fix I had frequent pauses/frame drops as it was streaming in new world data - without the fix it was a near perfect 60fps.

Would rather live with the bad 900p upscaled than have constant frame drops, so I reverted the fix.
Try capping the framerate to 60 using Rivatuner, I experienced framedrops with Kfix but not with rivatuner.

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm really eager to try that GI fix but I have never compiled code using Visual Studio and I have no idea how to inject .DLLs lol. I'll wait for the fix to go out, but man I wanna try it now.

Momentary

Banned
On STEAM forums
Kaldaien said:
I have the hooks setup now and have had a bit of time to test this on my desktop machine.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889054560

That same scene before the fix was 43 FPS, now it's running at a steady 60 FPS.

I need to add some config settings for this and then I'll push this to the update server (Testing branch).

soon-13.jpg

RaffAO

The fullscreen fix alleviates some really annoying interdependent multi-monitor, refresh rate and screen tearing problems I was having to work around in borderless mode on my pretty straightforward setup.

Glad I can finally concentrate on playing the game, shame that it took a fan patch.

Izuna

Banned
I honestly don't know what else this gaming PC is for. I am so happy we are getting these beautiful fixes before I even start.

If only ReCore weren't UW fucking P

Ruff

Wow, looking forward to that huge boost. I knew there would be some hungry performance setting that could be fixed when I saw how I had to turn off some settings on this relatively average looking game,compared to others.

Mechazawa

I wonder if someone's going to try to implement drdaxxy's code independently of the Kaldaein fix since I guess that has had mixed results for some people.

Meanwhile, where my cutscene fix Platinum uuuugggghhhh.

From the discussions going on, it seems the performance fix should be out by later tonight hopefully. Always amazes me when communities work together to fix developers mishaps.

Gbraga

I wonder if someone's going to try to implement drdaxxy's code independently of the Kaldaein fix since I guess that has had mixed results for some people.

Meanwhile, where my cutscene fix Platinum uuuugggghhhh.

As far as I'm aware, the mixed results are all relative to his framepacing tool, but you can disable that and still get the other benefits, or just disable everything and just keep the fullscreen fix.

J_Viper

I'm wondering if I should uninstall the current Kaldaien patch, since the new one is hopefully hitting tonight.

You're going to get dips no matter what when it's loading in new geometry. The engine regardless of platform or hardware simply isn't great. It's not a matter of graphical horsepower.

Thing is, the drops happened frequently in the combat rooms in the Prologue.

Very short dips when loading new areas? That could be the streaming issue. Some people have reported running the game from an SSD helps with that.

Otherwise, check you've got AA disabled. Solid 60fps @ 1080p with only post processing AA (not MSAA) and everything else turned up should be very easy to get with your setup.

Yeah AA is off, maybe 1440p resolution is causing an issue?

Hmm, interesting. I do have Kaldaien's fix installed, maybe that's exacerbating the drops in frame-rate. I should probably try this Borderless Gaming thing.

Gbraga

Thing is, the drops happened frequently in the combat rooms in the Prologue.

I'm sorry if it's a stupid question, but did you reboot your PC since installing the game? I'm only asking because I was getting 40fps in combat rooms in the first mission, even at 900p, and went and bought a new graphics card (that should arrive this week), but the next day I tested again and for whatever reason it ran the same part much better, 60 fps with a few drops here and there. So I'm assuming it's because of that.

how do you join the testing branch?

Download the latest release from the Github repository. Here's a direct link to the release list: https://github.com/Kaldaien/FAR/releases.

I'm downloading it ASAP to see how things work. Honestly, this game has one of the worst implementations of realtime or semi-realtime Global Illumination I've ever seen, so being able to dial it back is a welcomed improvement. (Since, as far as I can tell, it doesn't do very much)

Being able to (hopefully) bump up the resolution will be a huge boon to mitigating the awful aliasing.

Ruff

Holy crap the difference is night and day. Rock solid 60fps with 4x AA in the parts of the city that dropped down to 45 with 0 AA on my GTX1060.

You guys are awesome.

Gbraga

But is it really a "fix"? From my understading, it's just lowering a setting. As much of a fix as getting better performance by turning off Motion Blur, or Anti-Aliasing.

Of course, it may still be worth it, but we need more thorough testing and comparisons.

I'm sure they'd dial it back to get some more frames on PS4 if it made no difference.

heringer

Holy shit, with this global illumination fix I'm getting 60 fps locked in 1440p in the area I was getting 50~55 in 1080p with my gtx 970.

Need to test more.

Danielsan

So, just starting this game. What's the deal with full screen in this game. I think I read people saying that it doesn't use the resolution selected, is that right?

Top Bottom