• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Zeneric

Holy shit, with this global illumination fix I'm getting 60 fps locked in 1440p in the area I was getting 50~55 in 1080p with my gtx 970.

Need to test more.

you're right. just tested for a bit. locked at 60fps in 1440p on my 970, maxed settings (except blur and aa). global illumination really is very taxing.

After some very, very quick testing -- this fix is the real deal.

However, this fix ships with GI turned completely off (set to 0). Playing around with it in-game, I wouldn't recommend this, as GI does do something (surprising, given that I had no idea it was even in the game until everyone found out it was tanking performance).

Leaving it set to 16 (i.e. the lowest setting that's non-zero) seems to work the best. You still get GI, but it won't demolish the framerate (and, honestly, at 16 it looks about the same as the default 128).

To test this yourself, head to a grassy field (like where you start after the prologue/tutorial level). Turning GI off removes most of the lighting on the grass, making it appear dark and partially unlit. Setting GI to 16 restores the "proper" lighting, while still giving you better performance.

On my 1080, setting the GI to 16 rather than default 128 saves me about 15-20% GPU utilization at 1080p. Pretty nuts.

Ruff

So, just starting this game. What's the deal with full screen in this game. I think I read people saying that it doesn't use the resolution selected, is that right?

The same fix that lets you customize the global illumination to get a huge FPS boost also fixes any problem with the Fullscreen bug.

Zanzura

So with the test branch, I can now play at 1440p with everything on/High except AA at off at 60 fps with the GI setting turned down to 16. Past 32 which I assume automatically sets it to 48, it performs just as before. At 32 or lower, grass, trees, and certain objects lose some shadows/become full bright though which is kind of a bummer. It can be seen on the truck in the second image that DrDaxxy posted:

Alright, I've managed to improve performance by 30-60% (in 4K, on a 980 Ti, a friend reports more than doubled performance on a low-end mobile GPU).

Here's the visual differences (and framerate impact). Warning: if you haven't completed Route A you may find this a bit of a spoiler.
http://diff.pics/VBmFSLj8bn95/1
http://diff.pics/VBmFSLj8bn95/2

Expect to see a fix incorporating this change soon.

I'm on a 4690k @4.5, 16 GB RAM, 970 with a minor OC. Game is installed to an SSD. Gonna keep testing other areas and see if there's any issues.

So far, I'm personally fine with taking a hit to the lighting for a smooth 60 at native res on my primary monitor.

After some very, very quick testing -- this fix is the real deal.

However, this fix ships with GI turned completely off (set to 0). Playing around with it in-game, I wouldn't recommend this, as GI does do something (surprising, given that I had no idea it was even in the game until everyone found out it was tanking performance).

Leaving it set to 16 (i.e. the lowest setting that's non-zero) seems to work the best. You still get GI, but it won't demolish the framerate (and, honestly, at 16 it looks about the same as the default 128).

To test this yourself, head to a grassy field (like where you start after the prologue/tutorial level). Turning GI off removes most of the lighting on the grass, making it appear dark and partially unlit. Setting GI to 16 restores the "proper" lighting, while still giving you better performance.

On my 1080, setting the GI to 16 rather than default 128 saves me about 15-20% GPU utilization at 1080p. Pretty nuts.
Yeah I came to the same conclusion on 16 being the setting best used, I just can't tell much of a difference when putting that up higher.

It is pretty great though and I have had no crashes within the short period of time I used it.

feel

Is the GI thing an on-off toggle or are there multiple choices with different perforrnance hits? Can't test myself right now.

is the visual difference noticeable while playing? Doesn't look that big in the comparison screenshots.

edit- sorry, reading above now

Ruff

Is the GI thing an on-off toggle or are there multiple choices with different perforrnance hits? Can't test myself right now.

is the visual difference noticeable while playing? Doesn't look that big in the comparison screenshots.

edit- sorry, reading above now

Personally I don't notice any difference really. I have mine set to the lowest ON, which is 16. Some are saying it makes some things Fullbright but everything looks fine on my end so IDK what we're seeing differently.

Zenaku

Is anyone here playing the game in 3d? Got a WIP fix (3dmigoto) that fixes most of the shadow problems, but whenever I have it installed none of my controllers work properly. Steam controller, xbone, switch pro controller, all of them get their inputs messed up, but work fine when I uninstall 3dmigoto.

I can't sign up to the geforce forums atm to ask what might be causing it. Tried another game with a 3dmigoto fix and that wasn't working right either.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion on 16 being the setting best used, I just can't tell much of a difference when putting that up higher.

It is pretty great though and I have had no crashes within the short period of time I used it.
Yeah, I just did some more testing and 16 definitely seems to be the best in terms of performance/impact.

Just need to set it in FAR.ini, otherwise the game will initialize to 0 every time you boot it.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like FAR.ini is being reset as well. Looks like a bug. Can probably stop it from being reset to zero by locking the file in Windows.

replace When=Early with When=PlugIn
Thanks. I figured it out a bit before you and was going to post about it, but you beat me to the punch!

Gbraga

Any chance this can fuck up some specific gameplay segments like an area that's supposed to be dark being bright or is this just not how it works?

Nabs

Damn. The new GI tweak is wonderful. I'm on an older card (660ti) and it's giving me about 15-20 more frames per second. Generally hitting around 60 @ 1600x900.

That causes it not to crash on start, but ReShade still isn't working in game.

Works fine here -- did you rename both the DLL and the INI file that comes with Reshade?

Unfortunately, the GI fix is flawed right now. The INI file doesn't actually work, so it resets to zero every time the game's booted. Sounds like it won't be fixed until tomorrow.

Still -- this is pretty amazing. Having to set it to 16 every time it's booted is a small price to pay for the performance gains.

Any chance this can fuck up some specific gameplay segments like an area that's supposed to be dark being bright or is this just not how it works?
It might mess up some indirect lighting in some areas, but if anything it'll make bright areas less bright (i.e. less indirect light being applied). I don't think it'll cause any major lighting issues like you described, but the fix is too new to say for certain. Global Illumination is about how light reflects and bounces off of surfaces, contributing to indirect lighting. Lowering the quality of it might make it less precise, but as long as the fix isn't set to zero you'll still have some (if not all) of the indirect lighting applied.

I think the fix is affecting the quality (resolution) of the GI, not the amount of GI applied (or, possibly the workload "budget" of the GI processing). I can't say for certain, but it likely applies to the overall quality and possibly the number of bounces. I don't believe setting it to anything lower than 128 means you'll have areas that should be lit not having any light at all.

Gbraga

It might mess up some indirect lighting in some areas, but if anything it'll make bright areas less bright (i.e. less indirect light being applied). I don't think it'll cause any major lighting issues like you described, but the fix is too new to say for certain. Global Illumination is about how light reflects and bounces off of surfaces, contributing to indirect lighting. Lowering the quality of it might make it less precise, but as long as the fix isn't set to zero you'll still have some (if not all) of the indirect lighting applied.

I think the fix is affecting the quality (resolution) of the GI, not the amount of GI applied (or, possibly the workload "budget" of the GI processing). I can't say for certain, but it likely applies to the overall quality and possibly number of bounces. I don't believe setting it to anything lower than 128 means you'll have areas that should be lit not having any light at all.

This is insane. If you're right, then Platinum should take notice and patch the PS4 version as well. It's possible it'll be at least locked 60 at 900p.

This is insane. If you're right, then Platinum should take notice and patch the PS4 version as well. It's possible it'll be at least locked 60 at 900p.

Well, I mean, it has some effect (higher values seem to slightly alter the GI simulation, likely due to the quality or number of the light bounces), it's just a matter of the performance loss vs the visual impact. 16 or 32 seem to be the sweet spot, in my opinion.

It's entirely possible that the PS4 versions already have a lower GI setting. (Although, to be honest, I kind of doubt it)

Durante

I'm looking forward to seeing some more comparisons, really curious about what exactly it affects.

(My guess is still light propagation distance or bounces)

It's entirely possible that the PS4 versions already have a lower GI setting. (Although, to be honest, I kind of doubt it)
I think it's unlikely, at least on PS4 Pro, since that seems to track 1:1 in GPU performance at the same settings with comparable AMD cards.

Ruff

There's not really any saying that the GI in the console versions is locked to 128 same as PC right? Could be they already made a compromise on those versions.

ymgve

There's not really any saying that the GI in the console versions is locked to 128 same as PC right? Could be they already made a compromise on those versions.

It's also possible that 128 is the optimal value for the PS4/Pro GPU and they just didn't consider that they had to adjust the value for various PC GPUs.

tuxfool

Banned
Using a 16 element array I can actually run it at 4K on a 1080 in grassy areas. It still drops down to around 55 fps but performance is really improved.

Works fine here -- did you rename both the DLL and the INI file that comes with Reshade?
What order did you install them in? I installed ReShade, then renamed dxgi.dll and dxgi.ini to ReShade64.dll and ReShade64.ini respectively. Then installed FAR 0.1.0 and added
Code:
[Import.ReShade]
Architecture=x64
Filename=ReShade64.dll
Role=Plugin
When=Plugin
to both default_dxgi.ini and dxgi.ini. FAR seems to be working but no ReShade.

Durante

Using a 16 element array I can actually run it at 4K on a 1080 in grassy areas. It still drops down to around 55 fps but performance is really improved.
Hmm, that seems just barely not enough to be worth it for me with my 1440p monitor and GTX 1080.
At native res with the standard 128 elements I get locked 60 -- I'd consider downsampling with a 16 element array if I could get a locked 60 at 4k.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm looking forward to seeing some more comparisons, really curious about what exactly it affects.

(My guess is still light propagation distance or bounces)

I think it's unlikely, at least on PS4 Pro, since that seems to track 1:1 in GPU performance at the same settings with comparable AMD cards.

It looks slightly different, but effectively I don't think it looks worse. Maybe if the game had more detailed geometry lower settings would look worse?

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
I'm wondering the same thing.
I've downloaded both the install manager and the FAR folder but I don't see any instructions, would really appreciate some help.

OK I think I got it,
I took the link here:
https://github.com/Kaldaien/FAR/releases/tag/far_010

Dropped that in my N:A root folder.
Ran N:A, Special K will ask to update.
The update is what added far.ini for me. Then just edit FAR.ini to 16 for lowest without turning it off.

I'm wondering the same thing.
I've downloaded both the install manager and the FAR folder but I don't see any instructions, would really appreciate some help.

How do I set up the FAR thing? I can't find the post.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

I downloaded the automatic installer and ran it w/o any issues. It'll auto download the files in to your nier automata folder, which you can check to see yourself. When you run nier itll have an on screen display w/ info that you can turn off w/ ctrl+shift+o. You can change settings w/ ctrl+shift+backspace

To get the GI fix use the testing branch instead of main. The GI fix is under the settings menu

didamangi

With GI off I can run it at 4K on a 1070 with aa and ao off 60 fps in the city ruins. with dips to 40-50 in battles. Game world looks flatter though with GI off. Maybe i'll make a custom res between 1440p and 4k to with GI at 16 to get the sweet spot.

leng jai

With GI off I can run it at 4K on a 1070 with aa and ao off 60 fps in the city ruins. with dips to 40-50 in battles. Game world looks flatter though with GI off. Maybe i'll make a custom res between 1440p and 4k to with GI at 16 to get the sweet spot.

Try 1620p.

tuxfool

Banned
Hmm, that seems just barely not enough to be worth it for me with my 1440p monitor and GTX 1080.
At native res with the standard 128 elements I get locked 60 -- I'd consider downsampling with a 16 element array if I could get a locked 60 at 4k.

yeah, personally I wouldn't do 4k either (I kind of don't need to on a 1080p display), I might stick it at something like 1800p just to get the benefits of cleaner edges.

Oh, no, I agree with you. Unless there's some currently-unknown reason for running it at max quality, I think it's a setting that was chosen and then never updated. Maybe they didn't know that GI was chewing everything up, or maybe they didn't have time to change it?

At the very least, a setting of 32 seems to be as close to 128 as you can get without the performance overhead. I'm curious if all of the GI is running in real-time, or if it's baked. If it's real-time, that'd explain a lot, as Enlighten is dreadfully slow at real-time GI. It's much better for mostly-static, baked GI.

What order did you install them in? I installed ReShade, then renamed dxgi.dll and dxgi.ini to ReShade64.dll and ReShade64.ini respectively. Then installed FAR 0.1.0 and added
Code:
[Import.ReShade]
Architecture=x64
Filename=ReShade64.dll
Role=Plugin
When=Plugin
to both default_dxgi.ini and dxgi.ini. FAR seems to be working but no ReShade.

Looks like your Role is incorrect. Try this:
Code:
[Import.ReShade]
Architecture=x64
Filename=ReShade64.dll
Role=ThirdParty
When=PlugIn

It'd be great if Platinum could include a GI toggle with the patch. Off (0), low (1-16), medium (17-32) and high (33-128). They could also bring it down a notch or two on PS4 if they haven't done so already. :p

Zanzura

Here's the visual difference between 16 and 128 that I'm getting: http://imgur.com/a/TzLn1

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, there doesn't appear to be any difference for the values in-between 16 and 128 but I'm no expert so someone with a more discerning eye can probably post a better comparison, I'm just gonna play now and see if there's any serious issues.

tuxfool

Banned
Oh, no, I agree with you. Unless there's some currently-unknown reason for running it at max quality, I think it's a setting that was chosen and then never updated. Maybe they didn't know that GI was chewing everything up, or maybe they didn't have time to change it?

Given that some random person on the internet seemingly with no knowledge of graphics programming was able to profile the game and find a single array consuming 40% of gpu time, I would have hoped that somebody at Platinum would notice this.

Here's the visual difference between 16 and 128 that I'm getting: http://imgur.com/a/TzLn1

hmm, Interesting. Seems like 128 is definitely more accurate. Still, I think many people would trade accuracy for better performance. The weird thing is that I don't remember any locations in the ruined city ever being that dark in my game.

This is really confusing. The grass lighting makes no sense in the "low quality version", yet it has more darkening / large scale AO under the overhang in the low quality verison.

Also, where on earth is this relighting coming from in the image in general? Isnt that a back alley? Where is the yellowed secondary lighting even bouncing from? In both images!

Zanzura

Ok, I'm confused now, someone else post a screenshot comparison using 0, 16, and higher please because at 0 that alleyway looks the same as the 128 screenshot minus the massive performance drain. That alleyway is located right outside the Resistance HQ to the left as you leave. I'd just like to confirm if it's just something on my end or if the 16 setting is just bugged. Anything else results in the game's default appearance.

Just so everyone knows, the mouse visibility toggle in Borderless Gaming is global, so it should work even if you're not making a game Borderless.

Melchior

Pretty insane that they managed to bump the FPS up this much with the fix. Unfortunately the FAR fix crashed on me one evening and I haven't gotten it to launch again while it feeds me the same error. Clean install of both nier and the program. Guess I have to wait for an official patch and pray it helps the fps as much as this lod fix.

Jaqen19

Neo Member
Ok, I'm confused now, someone else post a screenshot comparison using 0, 16, and higher please because at 0 that alleyway looks the same as the 128 screenshot minus the massive performance drain. That alleyway is located right outside the Resistance HQ to the left as you leave. I'd just like to confirm if it's just something on my end or if the 16 setting is just bugged. Anything else results in the game's default appearance.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/?ctp=72#c135512305398007810

Zomba13

I've checked. With me at 0 or 16 I get what you had at 16, the grass in the ally being bright but at 32 and up (32, 48, etc) I get it being dark like it should. At 32 it also runs better. I'm going to just leave it there as it seems to run better but look more or less the same.

EDIT: I mean 32 runs better than 48 and higher, not better than 16 (or 0). I meant it in a "it runs better but looks closer to default" way but wrote it poorly.

Top Bottom