• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata tops 500,000 sold on Steam

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Still not buying until they've fixed that shit, so I guess that means never.

Shame, because it's so good..

Great game but god damn, patch plz. I was using FAR but that kept causing the game to crash, so now I'm playing in windowed and at a lower resolution because there were performance problems.

I'm not even asking for performance fixes; the fucking resolution bug would be an easy, easy fix. Absolutely ludicrous that it has not been dealt with.

To think Square spent money on the latest version of Denovo that got cracked within the week, instead of paying for someone to fix their damn game.

Fuck yeah. Game of the forever.
Other than needing a mod for borderless windowed mode, ran great at 4K 60fps for damn near the whole game. Cut scenes ran like shit though.

Cels

you're right, the actual quote is almost meaningless

Square Enix and PlatinumGames are working with PC device manufacturers, like AMD, to address the issues with the Steam version of the game because some of the issues are not what Square Enix and PlatinumGames alone can resolve fundamentally. With AMD's help, Square Enix and PlatinumGames have successfully resolved some of the issues, and we hope to achieve similar results with other hardware makers. We appreciate your continued patience and support for NieR: Automata.

doesn't sound promising

To think Square spent money on the latest version of Denovo that got cracked within the week, instead of paying for someone to fix their damn game.

And to think the best version of this game will become unplayable the moment Denuvo shits the bed and their authentication servers go offline (unless Square Enix patches it out).... What a shame.

K.Jack

Absolutely, the game might be good, or even great. But they clearly don't care about PC gamers, not even a patch for the simplest of fixes.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Imagine Dark Souls without Durante, we'd be saying the same thing.

A Nier Automata 2 is not going to blow up on launch day, after this post-release support.

Mailbox

Imagine Dark Souls without Durante, we'd be saying the same thing.

A Nier Automata 2 is not going to blow up on launch day, after this post-release support.

since you wanna invoke Durante, then surely you must know that he doesn't think the port is bad at all.

But you'd know that if you kept tabs on the performance thread and not just over exaggerating

K.Jack

since you wanna invoke Durante, then surely you must know that he doesn't think the port is bad at all.

But you'd know that if you kept tabs on the performance thread and not just over exaggerating

Really?

I have been living in the performance thread from day one. I disagree with him on that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Man people have some really high standards for ports.

I get random crashes evrywhere, i don't get why people say well deserved.

I mean, sorry to hear that it's a shoddy port, but I believe people say well deserved because they played the PS4 version which runs fine and the game is an absolute masterpiece. I was literally going to post GOTY HOLY SHIT OMG on this thread until I saw people complaining about the performance lol.

Or just normal standards. While I disagree with many claims of it being a shit port, it's still insane I have to rely on Borderless Window app to play the game at native resolution.

This should've been patched in a day.
What makes it bad is that SE doesn't even patch simple issues that would turn it into a good port.

I mean, sorry to hear that it's a shoddy port, but I believe people say well deserved because they played the PS4 version which runs fine and the game is an absolute masterpiece. I was literally going to post GOTY HOLY SHIT OMG on this thread until I saw people complaining about the performance lol.

PS4 version do have performance issues too. But I guess people are more lenient toward these.

K.Jack

My standard is that it doesn't take 3rd party programs to make your game run properly. And that you issue patches after release to fix stuff.

Sky high.

Momentary

Banned

I'm not saying it's a shitty port. But there are issues aside from major ones with AMD users. There are graphical settings that are un-optimized, but can be fixed with a mod.

AA doesn't work well, SSAO doesn't work well, Global illumination is highly demanding when it doesn't need to be, Frame pacing is atrocious. I've basically stopped playing the game because I just can't take it anymore.

This really seems like you're defending the bullshit that happens. Not just with Nier, but with other games. I'd rather be one of those gamers that complains and tries to get some sort of answer/reaction from a developer than to be the guy that never says anything. I can still remember when The Vanishing of Ethan Carter developer told me I was lying about my performance on Steam forums. "there is no way you're getting performance like that with that setup" LMAO

When everyone else more or less complained about the same thing, well, the rest and history and the redux version of that game exists now.

UrbanRats

In terms of performance.
The bugs like the resolution one are bullshit, i don't care who may defend them, be it Durante or Jesus Christ.
(not that Durante ever did defend them).

And those are really the crux of the issue with this port, the performance isn't great, but that's also true of the console version.

tuxfool

Banned

eh. The PS4 version runs like shit.

Yudoken

Thw pc version might be bad but is it truly worse than the PS4 version?

Especially if you have a good gaming pc?
Because almost always people make the pc version far worse than it actually is especially compared to the console versions.

A friend of mine played it on his regular PS4 and PC and besides the issue the pc version is still better than the PS4 version.

tuxfool

Banned
A friend of mine played it on his regular PS4 and PC and besides the issue the pc version is still better than the PS4 version.

If your PC is of equivalent or better capability as the PS4, the PC version is the better one for most people, especially with FAR. However the game does crash or not work right for a subset of people.

Thw pc version might be bad but is it truly worse than the PS4 version?

Especially if you have a good gaming pc?
Because almost always people make the pc version far worse than it actually is especially compared to the console versions.

I'll take a broken PC port with questionable performance over the console version because at least we're able to brute force through poor performance with better hardware/mod the game. At 4K, visually this game is a stunner. The fact this game that has sold 500,000 copies from a major publisher and hasn't received a patch fixing day one issues is disgusting though.

Colbert

Banned
Did not know it is on PC too. Hmmm, maybe I will do a purchase. Is it playable with a controller on PC? Read some comments about the PC port? Bugged, very bugged, okay?

It's a really bad port, overall. In addition to the many technical issues, the mouse and keyboard controls are baffling poor. I think that negative mouse acceleration in a PC port is a sure-fire sign that the developers don't have a clue. And that's the tip of the iceberg. The way they've implemented top-down shooting controls is just plain wrong-headed. Either point the character at an onscreen cursor or implement a sort of circle around the character where the mouse movements are translated into smooth rotation instead of this bafflingly erratic spinning. Mouse and keyboard+top down shooting are a match made in heaven except the port team seemingly had no clue what they were doing.

Not crashing for an example is normal standard. People are just lowering their standards because a game they like released, while others don't care about that and want a full package that's decent.

It is ok, you can go full fanboy for the game. Just don't expect people to eat that bullshit.

I remember that, one of the few occasions that I disagree completely with him. Sorry but that's total crap.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not crashing for an example is normal standard. People are just lowering their standards because a game they like released, while others don't care about that and want a full package that's decent.

I can understand "not crashing" and I've seen a few people have to deal with repeated crashes in the main threads but I wouldn't skip out on a good game just because some people experience crashing. Invariably, someone, somewhere, has issues with a PC game whether is a CPU or a driver problem or whatever reason.

But a lot of these "I'm not buying PC until the issues are fixed" posts don't seem to come from the stance of "I literally can't play this game until a patch is out". There's only one person in this thread who talked about their game crashing and this was because they wanted to use FAR.

As someone who's primarily an online, multiplayer, games-as-service player, a lot of this dissatisfaction concerning resolution and performance is pretty alien to me, hence my surprise. I'm used to waiting months if not years for patches and those tend to fall under the umbrella of game mechanics, not performance issues.

Kssio_Aug

I can understand "not crashing" and I've seen a few people have to deal with repeated crashes but I wouldn't skip out on a good game just because some people experience crashing. Invariably, someone, somewhere, has issues with a PC game whether is a CPU or a driver problem or whatever reason.

But a lot of these "i'm not buying PC until the issues are fixed" don't seem to come from the stance of "i literally can't play this game until a patch is out".

But Nier Automata issues are not an isolated case, reason why we have a 3rd party mod that tries to minimze that. It's absurd the state this game was released on PC, let alone not being patched till this date. It's a shitty port, and there's nothing "high standard" in seeing things that way in this particular case.

I can understand "not crashing" and I've seen a few people have to deal with repeated crashes but I wouldn't skip out on a good game just because some people experience crashing. Invariably, someone, somewhere, has issues with a PC game whether is a CPU or a driver problem or whatever reason.

But a lot of these "i'm not buying PC until the issues are fixed" don't seem to come from the stance of "i literally can't play this game until a patch is out".

Why should someone gamble with their money? I myself know people close to me that have the problem, why should I risk getting the game only for it to start crashing after the 2h refund time?

If the Ubisoft/Sourcenext PC port of Resident Evil 4 were released in 2017, and the game had never been released on PC, I imagine it would be heavily defended on the basis that we should totes be grateful for the chance to play the game on PC at all. Yet I distinctly recall that port being pretty much universally recognised as unacceptable back in the day.

I feel like there's been a shift where some PC gamers are letting their "thirst" for certain Japanese games cloud their judgement. In RE4's case, an issue like a lack of mouse support and arrow key aiming would be scornfully dismissed with "Just play it with a controller like God intended, brah." I guess there's a lot of factors contributing to this.

Permanently A

I bought the PS4 copy instead of PC where I would prefer to play because of the bugs on PC. I don't fault people that bought the game anyways though, its really good.

If the Ubisoft/Sourcenext PC port of Resident Evil 4 were released in 2017, and the game had never been released on PC, I imagine it would be heavily defended on the basis that we should totes be grateful for the chance to play the game on PC at all. Yet I distinctly recall that port being pretty much universally recognised as unacceptable back in the day.

I feel like there's been a shift where some PC gamers are letting their "thirst" for certain Japanese games cloud their judgement. In RE4's case, an issue like a lack of mouse support and arrow key aiming would be scornfully dismissed with "Just play it with a controller like God intended, brah." I guess there's a lot of factors contributing to this.

Yeah, except RE4 featured worse graphics and effects than both GC and PS2 version, the controls werent good, either with controller or keyboard.

RE4 on PC was the worst version with issues on top of it.
Nier Automata on PC is the best versions with issues on top of it.

It's unacceptable that SE didnt bothered patch the game yet, especially for that fullscreen issue. But as opposed to RE4, the game isnt fundamentally broken.

kewlmyc

Game eventually worked for me, but it doesn't for a lot of people. It's a good game and deserves the sales, but the official support has been god awful. Should have had a 3rd party do it.

Gren

I really do want this game, but Koei-Tecmo PC ports have tested my resolve well. I can wait until a significant discount.

Top Bottom