• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarusGray

This makes very little sense. If it is completely funded by Sony why would it be on PC. Timed exclusivity and than release on PC/X1 seems to make more sense.

Probably a street fighter 5 thing. ALl of this is speculation at best but its a good thing since Kojima and Sony would benefit in general from a PC/Console release vastly compared to a single platform release.

More $$$

More games

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My gut says it's a horror game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Come on. I'm a PlayStation fanboy and I know Sony has been doing this way more than MS. I think MS only did it with Tomb Raider.

I don't know about "way more", i have seen plenty of "First on Xbox One" or "Xbox One exclusive" banners on their press conference trailers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PS4 and PC? Maybe Sony would be similarly compelled to release Bloodborne on PC in the future.

It's unlikely on the basis they didn't do it when it happened, so presumably the whole setup was around being a PS4 exclusive.

These types of decisions are generally made at the start when the developer feels that they want a PC version.

For example, Helldivers is by the people who made Magicka and made most of their sales on PC, so they presumably told Sony they would only sign if a PC version was allowed.

This makes very little sense. If it is completely funded by Sony why would it be on PC. Timed exclusivity and than release on PC/X1 seems to make more sense.

Just remember that Sony are partnering with Capcom, a massive third party to bring one of their games to PS4 and PC? It's the exact same situation except Kojima not being attached to a third party publisher outside of Sony.

DarkFlame

Banned
It's time to leave Metal Gear behind,he has a creative mind but thats kind of a paradox if he keeps working on Metal Gear for the rest of his life

BadWolf

Would make sense

It would also allow them to start on the game a lot quicker since they already started working on it and the team is in that zone.

They can't use the work they did on Silent Hills directly obviously but the partnerships (Del Toro, Junji Ito, Reedus) and concepts etc. still stand.

Glad he gets to finally work on a brand new IP. Looking forward to whatever he's working on next. He can finally put Metal Gear behind him.

macewank

Wouldn't shock me at all if Sony is footing some, if not all of the bill for the game. Several PS4 + PC titles out there that they've helped fund, Street Fighter 5 probably being the biggest of them.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
My gut says it's a horror game.

Yeah i think so too, they had lots of cool ideas for Silent Hills, no way they will start all over again with a completely different game.

Just get Del Toro and Junji Ito back in the boat.

Dali

Hopefully he realizes he's independent now and hops on the ue4 boat rather than banging his head against a wall developing a new engine.

Arion

Because SFV is hugely backed by Sony and it's still coming to PC. Same with Shenmue 3.

Sony doesn't own Street fighter. Capcom does. The money sony paid for SF was enough to keep it off X1. Where as the Psnation article says "completely funded, published, and owned by Sony upon release". Why would Sony fully fund and publish a big Kojima made game on PC? Besides Nikkie is more reliable so timed exclusivity is more likely with sony providing a small amount of the funding.

Did you miss the Steam database leak of a bunch of PS titles potentially coming to PC?

Sony didn't own or publish any of those games.

jmga

Journey was debunked by the developers themselves and it was revealed it was a different steam game. Same for a lot of other titles.
Debunked is not the word if it was just mistaken with a different game.

I don't remember any other title being debunked with exception of Half Life 3.

And many have already been confirmed.

Alucrid

Banned
Sony doesn't own Street fighter. Capcom does. The money sony paid for SF was enough to keep it off X1. Where as the Psnation article says "completely funded, published, and owned by Sony upon release". Why would Sony fully fund and publish a big Kojima made game on PC? Besides Nikkie is more reliable so timed exclusivity is more likely with sony providing a small amount of the funding.
Could be a stipulation to get the console exclusive from kojima.

KingJ2002

It's great (and somewhat expected) news that he's starting his own company. Working with sony seems like a given considering his titles have seen the most success on their platform.

Translations and guesses aside... i'm looking forward to whatever he decides to bring out.

I'm curious to see what dev tools he'll work on. It makes sense to use something like UE4.. especially since it's gaining popularity in Japan.

Also what genre will he attack first? Will he go back into stealth action? or maybe work on a spritual successor to ZoE or Snatcher, then there's the slight possibility that he and Guillermo del toro are looking into making the horror title that Konami wouldnt have.

either way... very dope to see him back in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom