• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

Told it it wasn't "omg joining Sony confirmed!".
Funnier to read the " tears of joy" posts than the supposed salty ones now.

Exactly the kind of news I wanted to hear once Kojima was free. Good. Goooood.

Now the next bit of news I'm waiting to hear is the debut of a "new" horror IP from Kojima who has worked out a deal with SCE.

And the headline I'm waiting for sometime after that being that Del Toro and Junji Ito have joined the project.

According to them it's a PS4/PC game published by Sony.
And.
uMGmVmU.png

Maybe it was a PSX announcement but Konami layers fucked everything...
Do these people know anything or just PS fanboys who guess at random.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Don't think Kojima ever even cared about XB1 outside of the install base that Konami necessitated for budgets.

I would say it sucks, but its all of Japan at this point. Literally every developer, even SE that has big games coming to XB1 would rather not even see XB1 mentioned.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

So they're saying fully owned, funded, and published by Sony, but also on PC.

Well, it's not impossible. Sony just published Helldivers on Steam, and being open to games being on PC has netted them a giant catalog of "console exclusives" that aren't on Microsoft's system.

Beyond that, MGS5 shipped like 5 million copies, of which 800K are on PC, so they're winning against the primary threat to their market (the Xbox) by conceding a platform with profitable but non-threatening sales volume.

As he should make his own studio. Watch him still make AAA titles with Konami and make them even more irrelevant. Kojima, I have your back.

I do wish he had enough money to try to buy the MGS IP from Konami.

Your game list of shining PS4 exclusives isn't really the best indicator of really strong first party games. There is a difference between putting money towards games and putting out great first party games.

I agree with the other posters that it makes more sense for him to try and start up a new developer like Respawn or something of the ilk.

I don't think either big publisher will give him full creative freedom. He would likely be an adviser to a ton of other stuff.

We are talking budget,not quality. Sony can fund his games just fine.

Sicious

Neo Member
If he and Del Toro get back together and continue Silent Hills (or wathever they're going to call it), i'm going to lose my shit.

I expect Kojima's the one in the best position to decide what's the actual best fit for him, his goals and situation. If that's Sony then I'm not gonna sit here and think up reasons to be pouty about it. I'm just glad he found a good partner and will be making more games.
I'm now glad it sounds like he's forming a new independent studio and his games will be available on more platforms.

Nestunt

Lawyers will still complicate this situation. That's how it works most of the times. Not surprised at all about Game Awards and possible PSX debacles.

Law is always behind innovation

SarusGray

So they're saying fully owned, funded, and published by Sony, but also on PC.

Well, it's not impossible. Sony just published Helldivers on Steam, and being open to games being on PC has netted them a giant catalog of "console exclusives" that aren't on Microsoft's system.

Beyond that, MGS5 shipped like 5 million copies, of which 800K are on PC, so they're winning against the primary threat to their market (the Xbox) by conceding a platform with profitable but non-threatening sales volume.

Not just that but PC does bring in a great amount of revenue, regardless if even not a lot of PC players purchase it. So it's a win win I guess!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not just that but PC does bring in a great amount of revenue, regardless if even not a lot of PC players purchase it. So it's a win win I guess!
Right, if it makes their development partners happy and nets them some good revenue on top of selling to a market that isn't really the same as the PlayStation potential audience, it's pretty much a win on all fronts, especially if the other option is "I don't get to sign Kojima because he feels passionate about this port."

Well yeah, but that didn't make them release something like Bloodborne on Steam. Just sounded odd to me. If it was merely partially funded like SFV I'd be more inclined to believe it.

well nothing's official yet, so it's all just speculation at this point

as for bloodborne it could be an eventually thing, could

vpance

If they're in negotiations over an exclusivity window, I wonder who the actual publisher is.

Unless it's a downloadable game, they're not funding something themselves.

If he's already struck a deal with a separate pub, Kojima is working damn fast. Still seems likely he's gone with a deeper than timed exclusive deal with Sony though.

PS4 and PC? Maybe Sony would be similarly compelled to release Bloodborne on PC in the future.

Oh please can we have a single thread that doesn't end up with Bloodborne PC port begging?

re: Kojima, good on him, and I'm of the opinion that a PS4/PC game sounds way more likely than just a PS4 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom