• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Konami is a ice cold Japanese corporation run by Japanese mobsters.

They are not going to sell MGS to Sony so Sony and Kojima can make new games. lol.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Is it me or are people masturbating furiously at the prospect of his work being limited to Sony hardware?

I find it all a bit baffling to be honest.
That's par for the course. I don't care where his next project ends, I'll be there day 1.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is it me or are people masturbating furiously at the prospect of his work being limited to Sony hardware?

While there may be some people doing so, I think most reasonable people would be excited since such a deal would suggest a bit more creative freedom for Kojima than if he were to, say, sign with Activision or someone.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I really thought MS would snatch him up. Glad to see he's going full 3rd party though and hope he has the capital to do what he wants.

As much as I admire MGS I'm hyped to see him do something completely new.

VNyk86k.png

KoopaTheCasual

That might have been a big issue last gen but not now. PC,XB1&PS4 are all x86 architecture so making games for multiple systems isn't as expensive as it used to be. As for the budget, Sony isn't the only one capable of funding a game. There are many publishers and investors that Kojima can tap into due to his renown. Kojima also knows whatever he makes will find a significant audience on all three systems. There is really no reason for him to keep his game on a single platform.
For the love of god I'm gonna need a source on this.

Come in this thread 28 pages late. This is great news, itd be great for him to setup a studio with Sonys help.

Why are people discussing possible exclusivity, if it was made with Sony, itd be a first party studio?

Looks like more of collaboration in the vein of SFV than a Bloodborne type deal. Independent studio with some funding from Sony.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Come in this thread 28 pages late. This is great news, itd be great for him to setup a studio with Sonys help.

Why are people discussing possible exclusivity, if it was made with Sony, itd be a first party studio?

Because we don't know if he's "setting it up" with sony.

and in the translation it says it's just making a console debut on ps4.

udivision

I'm going to pretend that the average person is reasonable and maybe they find that prospect appealing because Sony wouldn't be as limiting of a publisher as some of the other big AAA ones, and Kojima has had publisher issues in the past.

More likely just fanboyism though.

Rurunaki

That might have been a big issue last gen but not now. PC,XB1&PS4 are all x86 architecture so making games for multiple systems isn't as expensive as it used to be. As for the budget, Sony isn't the only one capable of funding a game. There are many publishers and investors that Kojima can tap into due to his renown. Kojima also knows whatever he makes will find a significant audience on all three systems. There is really no reason for him to keep his game on a single platform.

So, we're what? Expecting a kickstarter from Kojima soon? Just because he is renown does not mean publishers and investors will immediately jump on his next project. He is known for going overboard with his budget and any smart investor/publisher would look into that. Plus he is not locking his game to a single platform; a console debut just minimizes the risks on his new studio.

Take with a grain of salt but this guy wrote a book about MGS.

- Konami left Konami before the deadline (12/31) angry because Konami prevented his attendance at events.
- Yoji Shinkawa and other KojiPro developers with him.
- New IP, Sony could bid for MGS.
- New studio between Tokyo and Osaka, perhaps with L.A. collaboration.
- Kojima wants total freedom. No pressure. They're talking about this in the negotiation.
- It could be related to Del Toro and VR.

7lmVObm.png

EVxcPBW.png

Random Spaniards joins the party!

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
From the things I've read about Kojima, he isn't someone that should be granted complete freedom if he's under another company. Creative control and all of that, sure, but budgeting and finances? Yea...

Bolivar687

Banned
Anyone who thought that Kojima would formally tie himself to Sony and get a new boss immediately after the shit that went down with Konami was not thinking very straight. There's literally no reason to do it.

Not when this would be his new boss

Kojima.jpg.cf.jpg

Welcome home, Kojima.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

It's just you.

Or those who can't handle game announcements these days. Just s rumoe for now though.

Kindekuma

Banned
You've kept us waiting, Hideo.

tumblr_nhdmb0Iru31qb0wv3o2_250.gif

YOU'RE FREE! Return to posting pictures on Twitter of burgers you're eating, boxers, and blu-rays and CDs that you bought.

SalvaPot

Im almost inclined to say the best thing to come of this Generation is Fake Kaz. One of the few great twitter "personalities" lol

Also, this is really happening...Kojima joining forces with Sony? If his next game is exclusive I sense nothing but

viDI97Z.gif

If his next game is Sony exclusive there will be salt for sure.

But if the game is a Microsoft exclusive... mountains of salt.

And if the game is a Nintendo exclusive... ultimate meltdown of salt.

It's baffling that some people are happy that their favorite developer is leaving an oppressive work environment and is making a new game?

That's not all that's been going on here, and you know it.

'Tis a time where we should look forward to Kojima games for everyone to enjoy, and not just a select few. I'd rather Nintendo/MS/Sony keep out of it.

lol okay. A company is definitely going to not strike a deal with a major video game developer out of the kindness of their hearts so that everyone can experience his games.

Yeah I hope his next game release on Ios and Android too, maybe f2p so that everyone can play it.

whoosh

Sony?

Now you call Del Toro and make a Silent Hill spiritual successor with Silen Hill creator Toyama who works al Sony Japan Studio (Gravity Rush, Siren)

Sicious

Neo Member
- Konami left Konami before the deadline (12/31) angry because Konami prevented his attendance at events.
- Yoji Shinkawa and other KojiPro developers with him.
- New IP, Sony could bid for MGS.
- New studio between Tokyo and Osaka, perhaps with L.A. collaboration.
- Kojima wants total freedom. No pressure. They're talking about this in the negotiation.
- It could be related to Del Toro and VR.
I'm confused. But i agree that is Konami's fault.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

'Tis a time where we should look forward to Kojima games for everyone to enjoy, and not just a select few. I'd rather Nintendo/MS/Sony keep out of it.

lol okay. A company is definitely going to not strike a deal with a major video game developer out of the kindness of their hearts so that everyone can experience his games.

Yeah I hope his next game release on Ios and Android too, maybe f2p so that everyone can play it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

You realize what forum you're on, right?

Arion

So, we're what? Expecting a kickstarter from Kojima soon? Just because he is renown does not mean publishers and investors will immediately jump on his next project. He is known for going overboard with his budget and any smart investor/publisher would look into that. Plus he is not locking his game to a single platform; a console debut just minimizes the risks on his new studio.

Have you see how his games sell? Of course publishers would be interested in what he does next.

That is from the PoV of a software company. For a First Party Publisher (Sony, MS, Nintendo) is more about adding reasons for fans to buy your hardware (where then you will buy more games), Sony could believe that there is value in having someone like Kojima that is almost someone with no equal in this industry, his name is synonymous with a 28 year old franchise. And it also may be the best for Kojima as well. And there are examples of Sony allowing studios to blow up money on projects that lead to nothing or that are eternal (SSM and Ueda comes to mind). So it could make sense for Sony to catch Kojima and for Kojima to want to work for a first party publisher.

Personally I think he wouldn't last too much if he is left unchecked, I mean he did blew up the budget of MGS V.

JCreasy

Forcing Kojima to start with a blank slate is about the best game news I've heard in 2016. I've grown a bit weary with Metal Gear to be honest. This move will force him out of his comfort zone and help him produce something truly exceptional.

I wonder if he might move forward with Unreal Engine 4 to help speed-up development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom