• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StardustPain

Neo Member
Take with a grain of salt but this guy wrote a book about MGS.

7lmVObm.png

EVxcPBW.png

Is this somehow reliable ?
Who knows this guy?

So, late to the party here. Is the following correct?

1) Kojima has founded a new studio with a bunch of ex-Kojima Productions big cheeses.
2) He's going to make a new IP.
3) Sony immediately began negotiations for a moneyhat of some description.

-Horizon-

Is it me or are people masturbating furiously at the prospect of his work being limited to Sony hardware?

I find it all a bit baffling to be honest.

You should've seen the threads when Atlus was being put on sale before we knew that sega bought them.

Fat4all

Banned

1) Kojima has founded a new studio with a bunch of ex-Kojima Productions big cheeses.

Rumor has it.

Rurunaki

Here we go again.

KoopaTheCasual

Is this somehow reliable ?
Who knows this guy?
This rumor is so bad it hurts. Sony is gonna sink millions (if not up to a billion) of dollars on acquiring MGS (which Konami would never sell since they have explicitly stated that they are still actively milking it). And once they acquire it, they're gonna sit on the IP (or just not have the creator work on it) and contract Del Toro to make a new IP with Kojima because "reasons"?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
That's not all that's been going on here, and you know it.

'Tis a time where we should look forward to Kojima games for everyone to enjoy, and not just a select few. I'd rather Nintendo/MS/Sony keep out of it.

whoosh

Your point being? It doesn't refute what I said.

Nzyme32

Is it me or are people masturbating furiously at the prospect of his work being limited to Sony hardware?

Such is the way of fanboyism. The worst of it is being "disappointed" or having "deflated hype" when finding out that it might not be limited to just Playstation. Or any platform for that matter

What ever happened to being excited for the games rather than the clauses and restrictions they might be put under? I would have thought being as multiplatform as possible is more beneficial due to the larger audience and likely revenue, allowing for the justification of greater scope and scale for a game

Arion

how much do you think mgsv sold so far? did you think it was a wise business move for konami to fund that game along with the creation of the fox engine?

Google is telling me 5 million. As to whether it's worth it for Konami, I don't know. Fox engine is also being used for PES and was used for Silent Hills. If Konami stuck with console games production maybe it would be worth it in the long run. But the fact still stands that Kojima's name alone sells games. So it's very much possible that, when Kojima was fired, Sony or other publishers went to him to strike up a partnership or a deal.

Hopefully he's not shackled to Sony hardware. That would be a real shame.

Also, lol at trying to put him in the same level as Miyamoto. too funny.

Awesome news, can't wait to see what Kojima does without the shackles of Konami.

Obviously Konami will never part with their IP's but just as bad is that the Fox Engine will likely never be used again, it deserves to be used by KojiPro.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd be surprised if they used an existing engine instead of building their own. That just seems to be what makes them most comfortable.

Well, they started Fox Engine right after Metal Gear Solid 4 came out, so it might take quite some time to even get back to where they were, much less to whatever the standards are when they launch their next project.

But it's not impossible, yes.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Such is the way of fanboyism. The worst of it is being "disappointed" or having "deflated hype" when finding out that it might not be limited to just Playstation. Or any platform for that matter

What ever happened to being excited for the games rather than the clauses and restrictions they might be put under? I would have thought being as multiplatform as possible is more beneficial due to the larger audience and likely revenue, allowing for the justification of greater scope and scale for a game

but muh list wars

g11

I love how this rumor evolved.

"Kojima opening studio w/ Sony -> Kojima's next game PS4 exclusive -> Kojima's next game to 'debut' exclusively on PS4 maaaayyyybeeeee-> Kojima working on game for PS4 and similar consoles"

Fucking Google Translate could have translated it better. Fuck the internet.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
My point being not about what benefits Sony/MS/Nintendo, but what benefits me as a gamer.

You still suggested for companies to keep out because of what benefits "[you] as a gamer," to which I responded that they would not do that. What benefits me is the product I want releasing on the console I own, so if at the very least his next game comes out for PS4, whether it's exclusive or not, then I don't care about any other ports. But I would never mind if it was multiplatform, as there would be no reason to be upset over such a thing.

ZarKryn7

Do you or anyone else really think that after all that time at Konami he wants to develop a successor for an IP he did not invent in the first place???

If I was at a certain company for all my life and left (or: was left), then I'd like to do something completely new, something that wasn't possible before. The last thing I would do is continuing somebody else's work. Okay, I would make an exception for Kaz.

Dude. I was playing along just like everyone was. smh

I love how this rumor evolved.

"Kojima opening studio w/ Sony -> Kojima's next game PS4 exclusive -> Kojima's next game to 'debut' exclusively on PS4 maaaayyyybeeeee-> Kojima working on game for PS4 and similar consoles"

Fucking Google Translate could have translated it better. Fuck the internet.

Well the translation of the article provided by a member doesn't clear out thing anyway. It just mention by name SCE and Playstation and say that Kojima is having discussions about having their game debut on Playstation. Nowhere it says "first", "exclusive", etc etc, to me it seems like how usually japanese news report gaming related news, for them there are only 2 platforms when it comes to consoles "Sony" and "Nintendo" , I remember Nikkei doing the same thing with other games they announce Like resident evil or something like that.

When you think about how much freedom sony gives its studios, its not hard to understand why ppl would want him there. Also his largest fanbase is on Playstation, thats not even a question at this point

The scenarios are:

A. Go to a 3rd party publisher like activision/ea/ubisoft. Where he might fall into another konami situation

B. Go to MS/Nintendo and leave his biggest fanbase (playstation) in the dust

C. Go independent, and not have the money to make a bigger budget game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom